69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Coolant & its life?

some experts says that coolent has to be change once in year, some says twice in year, company says that do 5~20k before changing it.Its prices are from 100~1000 rupee/liter.Just wondering if there is any formula to know that when to change it exactly?

Click here to go to the ANSWER

No Guts, No Glory.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i prefer using the a premixed coolant, instead of buying a regular coolant and diluting it pani from lota. A mechanic once filled the lota pani in my car and i got it all cleaned and refilled from Toyota I-9. Since coolant is not providing lubrication and its ok to change it once in 100k KM. I did the same and never had any trouble with the temprature needle
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Original coolant of new car has very long life and lasts 150,000 - 200,000 km. Since i sell my cars well before reaching this limit so its not a problem for me. Most coolants available with 3S dealerships are already pre-mixed, so no need to mix anything and pour in radiator directly. My experience with fluids and parts is that whatever OEM recommends, you can easily go 25-50% beyond that. However, for old cars with rusted engines (especially Suzuki's), the story is different and more frequent changes are required. In such cases before changing coolant, get radiator flushed properly with pressure hose to remove rust, etc. The radiator guy in Melody has this arrangement. But if he asks you to start the engine when coolant has been drained simply refuse him.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Never use 100%. It should be diluted min 40% with de-ionized water.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It is 40% concentrate(100%) and 60% water, which is enough for this region.
    I don't think any company is marketing 100% concentrate except to industrial customer. The premix available need not to be diluted with distilled water any more and to be added as it is.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bunsira View Post
    Never use 100%. It should be diluted min 40% with de-ionized water.
    ok. this is confirmed that we should not use it 100% coolant and should mix water. 40% Water seems pretty enough quantity.
    But new question is "which water" ?

bunsira said "de-ionized" water? (but how to get it) ?
    Xulfiqar said it has to be mixed with "distalled water".

So we have two suggestions here.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asad1 View Post
    and this coolant is already diluted no need to add water in it
    thats cool to know eventually.
    so, i already did 12K on it in last 8 months. So when should i change it now?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would like to share this article, please read this.

WHY REPLACE ENGINE COOLANT
    By: Ralph Seekins

Question: I know you recommend regularly changing engine coolant. The coolant in my
    vehicle looks good in the plastic reservoir. So why should I change it?

Answer: The appearance of engine coolant (commonly called anti‐freeze) has very little to do
    with its condition or the need to replace it. Replacing the engine coolant should be a part of all
    regularly scheduled maintenance programs as recommended by your vehicle?s manufacturer.
    This vital service will help your vehicle perform more reliability and last longer. Let me explain
    why.

Engine coolant is the stuff that pulls the heat from your engine and then dissipates that heat as
    it passes through the radiator. The typical engine cooling system is made up of a number of
    different components made from different materials. For example, a cooling system may
    include components made with Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Steel, Rubber and Plastic. As a
    result, the coolant for any particular cooling system must be compatible with all of those
    different components ? a good reason you should use only the type of coolant your
    manufacturer recommends. One other good thing coolant does is raise the boiling point above
    the 212 degree Fahrenheit boiling point of straight water. Radiator boil over is never any fun.

As coolant circulates through your vehicle?s cooling system, it also performs some other very
    important functions. For example, it impedes corrosion and provides lubrication for the water
    pump seal. As it ages, coolant picks up corrosion and different deposits created in the engine
    and, as a result, it can become acidic. That acidic fluid along with the dissimilar metals used in
    the cooling system can actually create a sort of crude battery. The resulting electrical charge in
    that acidic fluid can then accelerate corrosion of the different component parts of the system
    and also adversely affect the electronic engine controls. When you change the coolant
    according to your manufacturer?s recommended schedule it prevents this acidic condition and
    thus helps prevent corrosion and expensive repairs.

In some cases, engine coolant can be in such poor condition that a coolant flush becomes
    necessary. A coolant flush requires an approved coolant flushing machine and isn?t something
    you want to try at home. A proper flush helps remove corrosion and other deposits that were
    created in the engine and radiator. Some repair stations recommend a coolant flush any time
    the coolant is replaced. Our recommendation for a flush (and the recommendation of any
    reputable service provider) is based on a careful analysis of the old coolant and the condition of
    the cooling system. It is not an ?every time? kind of thing.

Now, when you do replace your vehicle?s coolant or have it replaced, it is essential for safe
    operation in our Interior Alaska climates that the coolant is mixed with water in the proper
    amounts to have freezing protection down to somewhere between ‐55 and ‐60 degrees Fahrenheit. Too strong amixture can degrade heater performance and can cause failure ofthe
    engine block heater(s).

Replacing the engine coolant as a part of a regularly scheduled maintenance program at the
    manufacturer?s recommended intervals is vital to your vehicle?s reliability and longevity. New
    coolant has a non‐acidic, non‐corrosive PH level that will not destroy your cooling system
    components. Using the proper coolant at the proper mixture will help keep your engine from
    overheating and can prevent it from freezing during cold weather.

If you have questions regarding the coolant condition or the cooling system on your vehicle, we
    recommend having it checked by your vehicle manufacturer?s authorized dealer or repair
    station. Some, such as our Quick Lane, will perform a courtesy, no charge, inspection for your
    peace of mind.

Good luck and safe motoring.
    I Dont Drive Fast, I Fly Slowly....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Which is the original?

Coolent & its life? -1307275Coolent & its life? -1307276
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I Dont Drive Fast, I Fly Slowly....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One is red and one is pink. Both original. Different models require different coolants even in toyota.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    ok. this is confirmed that we should not use it 100% coolant and should mix water. 40% Water seems pretty enough quantity.
    But new question is "which water" ?

bunsira said "de-ionized" water? (but how to get it) ?
    Xulfiqar said it has to be mixed with "distalled water".

So we have two suggestions here.
    Not all coolants require dilution. i always prefer pre mixed from a good brand as they are done with distilled water in them. Liqui Moly, GS Caltex and Zic to name a few.
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ehalin View Post
    Toyota Indus newer cars manauls (All models of Corolla, Hilux etc.) recommend using Toyota "Super Long Life Coolant." From net search what I found is that there are two types of Toyota Coolants 1. Toyota Long Life (red in colour) 2. Toyota Super Long Life (pink in colour.) Checking with Toyota dealerships in Lahore, Multan, Rawalpindi and Islamabad, the coolant which they have available with them is "Toyota Long Life (red colour) only. According to looking on prices on eBay Toyota Long Life Coolant is more expensive than Toyota Super Long Life whereas Toyota Super Long Life has a longer life as well. I am really in a fix since these Toyota dealers are apparently ripping off the customers by offering only Toyota Long Life Coolant (red coolant which is more expensive, has less life and is actually meant for older cars with iron engine blocks. And if mixed in radiators which were originally filled with pink coolant probably destroys its serviceable life also.)
    The pink and red are miscible. The pink SLLC coolant is the factory fill on most cars and is good for about 160,000 kms. After that use red LLC.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The best coolant I used was BASF Glysantin, MB sell it as genuine coolant and comes in 4.5 litre cans in full concentration. Sold around the world @ USD 25/-

It should cost around Rs 2500~3000/- for a bottle.

Ask about it. It will be cheaper than this premix that toyota is selling for rip off prices. These prices are for toyota concentrate not premix.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mwm749 View Post
    Which is the original?

Coolent & its life? -1307275Coolent & its life? -1307276
    All 4 say factory red fluid - one is old style packaging and all are US gallons - which are not sold outside of the US.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    The pink and red are miscible. The pink SLLC coolant is the factory fill on most cars and is good for about 160,000 kms. After that use red LLC.
    Yes pink and red are miscible but my car's coolant which was good for 160,000kms will now need to be changed after just another 40,000kms.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no it would not as you did not fully dilute it, Proper toyota shops have a coolant tester with them which is nothing but a fancy hand held spectrometer thing that measures the additive pack. It is mostly used by Hino to test and replenish the coolant add pack as coolant change in a truck is very costly.

But adding just half litre to a 5 litre capacity system will not magically reduce the life dramatically.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks a lot. This definitely helps. Regards,
    Another small question. I have a Suzuki Jimny also with M13A engine with factory filled green coolant. Can I use remaining red coolant for Jimny of course after a proper flush?
    no it would not as you did not fully dilute it, Proper toyota shops have a coolant tester with them which is nothing but a fancy hand held spectrometer thing that measures the additive pack. It is mostly used by Hino to test and replenish the coolant add pack as coolant change in a truck is very costly.

But adding just half litre to a 5 litre capacity system will not magically reduce the life dramatically.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mwm749 View Post
    I would like to share this article, please read this.

WHY REPLACE ENGINE COOLANT
    By: Ralph Seekins

Question: I know you recommend regularly changing engine coolant. The coolant in my
    vehicle looks good in the plastic reservoir. So why should I change it?

Answer: The appearance of engine coolant (commonly called anti‐freeze) has very little to do
    with its condition or the need to replace it. Replacing the engine coolant should be a part of all
    regularly scheduled maintenance programs as recommended by your vehicle?s manufacturer.
    This vital service will help your vehicle perform more reliability and last longer. Let me explain
    why.

Engine coolant is the stuff that pulls the heat from your engine and then dissipates that heat as
    it passes through the radiator. The typical engine cooling system is made up of a number of
    different components made from different materials. For example, a cooling system may
    include components made with Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Steel, Rubber and Plastic. As a
    result, the coolant for any particular cooling system must be compatible with all of those
    different components ? a good reason you should use only the type of coolant your
    manufacturer recommends. One other good thing coolant does is raise the boiling point above
    the 212 degree Fahrenheit boiling point of straight water. Radiator boil over is never any fun.

As coolant circulates through your vehicle?s cooling system, it also performs some other very
    important functions. For example, it impedes corrosion and provides lubrication for the water
    pump seal. As it ages, coolant picks up corrosion and different deposits created in the engine
    and, as a result, it can become acidic. That acidic fluid along with the dissimilar metals used in
    the cooling system can actually create a sort of crude battery. The resulting electrical charge in
    that acidic fluid can then accelerate corrosion of the different component parts of the system
    and also adversely affect the electronic engine controls. When you change the coolant
    according to your manufacturer?s recommended schedule it prevents this acidic condition and
    thus helps prevent corrosion and expensive repairs.

In some cases, engine coolant can be in such poor condition that a coolant flush becomes
    necessary. A coolant flush requires an approved coolant flushing machine and isn?t something
    you want to try at home. A proper flush helps remove corrosion and other deposits that were
    created in the engine and radiator. Some repair stations recommend a coolant flush any time
    the coolant is replaced. Our recommendation for a flush (and the recommendation of any
    reputable service provider) is based on a careful analysis of the old coolant and the condition of
    the cooling system. It is not an ?every time? kind of thing.

Now, when you do replace your vehicle?s coolant or have it replaced, it is essential for safe
    operation in our Interior Alaska climates that the coolant is mixed with water in the proper
    amounts to have freezing protection down to somewhere between ‐55 and ‐60 degrees Fahrenheit. Too strong amixture can degrade heater performance and can cause failure ofthe
    engine block heater(s).

Replacing the engine coolant as a part of a regularly scheduled maintenance program at the
    manufacturer?s recommended intervals is vital to your vehicle?s reliability and longevity. New
    coolant has a non‐acidic, non‐corrosive PH level that will not destroy your cooling system
    components. Using the proper coolant at the proper mixture will help keep your engine from
    overheating and can prevent it from freezing during cold weather.

If you have questions regarding the coolant condition or the cooling system on your vehicle, we
    recommend having it checked by your vehicle manufacturer?s authorized dealer or repair
    station. Some, such as our Quick Lane, will perform a courtesy, no charge, inspection for your
    peace of mind.

Good luck and safe motoring.
    Thanks for the article.
    I've gone through this.
    But this article doesn't give clear information about

- Types of Coolant.
    - Either we should pour the pure coolant in car or should mix with water.
    - If mix with water, then how much water? Should be Tap water or ionized water or distilled water?
    - The origin of the article is Alaska (so cold state of USA) and perhaps helpful for the people living in similar areas.
    - How many people (general public driving cars) knows that coolant should have a certain PH value? PH is Power of the Liquid or an element to donate the Hydrogen ions under certain conditions. Mostly acids. So it seems quite unnecessary information.

Here is the part from last paragraph.

""If you have questions regarding the coolant condition or the cooling system on your vehicle, we
    station.""""

It (the whole article) simply recommends to use the coolant as advised by manufacturer and if any problem, then we should contact with manufacturer. That’s all. Absolutely Nothing special.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    Thanks for the article.
    I've gone through this.
    But this article doesn't give clear information about

- Types of Coolant.
    - Either we should pour the pure coolant in car or should mix with water.
    - If mix with water, then how much water? Should be Tap water or ionized water or distilled water?
    - The origin of the article is Alaska (so cold state of USA) and perhaps helpful for the people living in similar areas.
    - How many people (general public driving cars) knows that coolant should have a certain PH value? PH is Power of the Liquid or an element to donate the Hydrogen ions under certain conditions. Mostly acids. So it seems quite unnecessary information.

Here is the part from last paragraph.

""If you have questions regarding the coolant condition or the cooling system on your vehicle, we
    station.""""

It (the whole article) simply recommends to use the coolant as advised by manufacturer and if any problem, then we should contact with manufacturer. That’s all. Absolutely Nothing special.

PH value is unnecessary information? what part of the world do you live in? Why dont you try to use an acidic coolant in your engine and see how it looks after a few months, at first it would be shiny new, after a few months the cast metal will be gone. Why? the DAMN PH thing did its job, but its fizool - most people think that such chemicals are a way of robbing money from the user.

the bare bones of using coolant for people who think cars are magical shiny boxes that feed on petrol should only be taught the below paragraph.

if you dont use proper branded coolant diluted half with distilled water you will have to sell your wife's jewelry to pay the mechanics bills. Coolant is a magic elixir that makes water the fountain of youth for your car engine, Using coolant will also increase its resale value.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

PH value is unnecessary information? what part of the world do you live in? Why dont you try to use an acidic coolant in your engine and see how it looks after a few months, at first it would be shiny new, after a few months the cast metal will be gone. Why? the DAMN PH thing did its job, but its fizool - most people think that such chemicals are a way of robbing money from the user.

the bare bones of using coolant for people who think cars are magical shiny boxes that feed on petrol should only be taught the below paragraph.

if you dont use proper branded coolant diluted half with distilled water you will have to sell your wife's jewelry to pay the mechanics bills. Coolant is a magic elixir that makes water the fountain of youth for your car engine, Using coolant will also increase its resale value.
    I've read your many posts. And noticed that most of them contain technical knowledge which is mostly unnecessary to know for a common man. People click "like' to the post and move on, considering that post of excellent & perfect. I also agree with this because am one of them too.

But.... here most folks need to know the suitability of the oils according to their engine's life & health. Which oils are good which are not. Where to find the good quality oils. To know if many people out there having the same vehicles as theirs and wishing to know the mileage they are getting and the performance, etc. etc. etc.

Well the technical knowledge is always appreciated. But its quite excessive to absorb.

Many times your replies are bit insufficient. Just a recent example of Coolant thread. You mentioned that water does cooling and should be mixed with coolant. But never mention how much?
    Anyway, its not a complain, but for me (personally), such information (like PH, Acid wash, etc.) are over weighted. Keeping general informations with bit of knowledge is good.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

When you use a product and need to inquire about what to use for it you do a few things

1 - read the manual and follow it
    OR

2 - research on how and why

So - if you want a simple answer to this - if you drive a Honda go to a Honda store and buy their premixed coolant and pour it in, if you drive a hyundai shehzore go to a hyundai showroom (which are all closed now) and buy a bottle of coolant from them (but you cannot as the showroom closed off)

So now you can either throw away the Shehzore because no parts are available or try to find the correct "technical specifications" for it so you can actually keep it working. Which means that you then find out WHY was a certain product recommended by the manufacturer - that involves technical details but you say they are useless - Well I guess then ignorance wins here.

In short, I have read that you run an oil retail business - still you are questioning how much water to add to coolant? Its very basic sense and just for keeping the responsibility clear on the manufacturer side they print the usage of coolant in the owner manual. Now you being in the oil retail industry can easily get the TDS of the products you sell which are a must for a business like yours - Just like when you ask me about these technically I reply to you accordingly - because this is a discussion forum. But you just claimed that you dont need any technicalities just sentences like - buy this and thats all. But then you ask such questions of HOW much water should I add to coolant - This is really sad because on every package it will claim either its premixed ready to use or requires dilution with water and secondly you already are in this business - and in every business you should know the finer details about it - thats how you win.

In very simple terms henceforth

"when buying coolant READ THE PACKAGE" If you cannot understand it, you can take a picture of it and post here with your question"

To answer the water as heat transfer medium question I would need to verify first that you can actually understand the concept of latent heat in thermodynamics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

User Tag List