Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Engine tuneup questions for Passo

Asslam-u-Alaikum,

I am driving a 2007 model Toyota Passo since last three years. Driven it from 14,000KM ODO to 98,000KM now. I have always used Caltex Fully Synthetic motor oil. Maintenance regularly done like engine oil gear oil and air/oil filters changed etc.

I am noticing a little bit reduced mileage since last month or so. As 100,000 ODO milestone is ahead, I am thinking of getting a complete tuneup done. Here is my checklist and questions:

1 - Get oil changed with air / oil filter.
    2 - Get Spark plugs changed (I have changed it 2 times before with probably genuine plugs)
    3 - Get fuel filter checked. (change if required)
    5 - Check hose pipes for durability.

6 - I have never done tappets tuning. Whenever I asked my mechanic to check tappets, he says nothing happens to tappets. Don't change their original setting. Its hard to get it back to original setting. Should I get it tuned at 100,000KM? Maybe Toyota 3S dealers can do it with perfection?

7 - When I did my car's very first oil change at 14000KM ODO, pump guy (Caltex F6, Islamabad) said that oil is black, please get your engine flushed. I never did it. Does engine flush really help in getting any sort of improvements or is it just a means of making more money from customer? My mechanic advised against doing it. If it really helps, is there a mechanism available to analyze engine exhaust / oil to see if cleanup is required?

8 - How to get catalytic converter checked and cleaned? I am against removing it. It might help me in getting better mileage but will also increase noise and pollution.

9 - Anything else to get checked at 100,000?

10 - Which workshop would you take your car for above mentioned items checked and tuned?

Thanks
    Hassan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if just the mileage is your issue, in your next fill up, add Rs. 1000 worth high octane. the mileage returns to normal

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dayrider View Post
    if just the mileage is your issue, in your next fill up, add Rs. 1000 worth high octane. the mileage returns to normal
    Thanks, I have always used high octane mixed in 1/3 ratio. Actually since now normal fuel was at 74 rs and high octane at 80 rs, I have been filling almost full with high octane as it reduces engine knocking.

Along with reduced mileage, there is some feeling of engine not giving enough power with AC. Although it was not like this last summer and the previous summer. Maybe its all just in my head. Getting oil changed with filters etc will solve the problem. But what I would like to know is that how often is it really required to get tappets adjusted, engine flushed and catalytic converter cleaned for good performance? Once in 100,000 KM, more times or never really?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Varies in every car, check online workshop manuals. Engine flush is needed after dirty or burned oil is used. Catalytic converter only gets chocked by dirty fuel, since you have been using high octane, very little chances of that happening. Get the plugs changed and the air filter too. Things shall improve

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sk_cooldayz View Post
    Asslam-u-Alaikum,

I am driving a 2007 model Toyota Passo since last three years. Driven it from 14,000KM ODO to 98,000KM now. I have always used Caltex Fully Synthetic motor oil. Maintenance regularly done like engine oil gear oil and air/oil filters changed etc.

I am noticing a little bit reduced mileage since last month or so. As 100,000 ODO milestone is ahead, I am thinking of getting a complete tuneup done. Here is my checklist and questions:

2 - Get Spark plugs changed (I have changed it 2 times before with probably genuine plugs)

6 - I have never done tappets tuning. Whenever I asked my mechanic to check tappets, he says nothing happens to tappets. Don't change their original setting. Its hard to get it back to original setting. Should I get it tuned at 100,000KM? Maybe Toyota 3S dealers can do it with perfection?

7 - When I did my car's very first oil change at 14000KM ODO, pump guy (Caltex F6, Islamabad) said that oil is black, please get your engine flushed. I never did it. Does engine flush really help in getting any sort of improvements or is it just a means of making more money from customer? My mechanic advised against doing it. If it really helps, is there a mechanism available to analyze engine exhaust / oil to see if cleanup is required?

8 - How to get catalytic converter checked and cleaned? I am against removing it. It might help me in getting better mileage but will also increase noise and pollution.

10 - Which workshop would you take your car for above mentioned items checked and tuned?

Thanks
    Hassan
    Answers:

1) Yes, replace oil filter, it effects the mileage. Oil filter to be replaced with oil change. Nothing to do with mileage.
    2) spark plugs not required before 40,000 KM. Unless, any starting problem in faced in which its involved. Does play a role in complete combustion and consequently improved mileage.
    3) fuel filter has nothing to do with fuel consumption.
    5) what hoses you are talking about?
    6) there is nothing as tappet tuning, it's called tappet adjustment. It plays a role in engine performance and consequently improved fuel consumption. Should be done if noisy or experiencing starting problem.
    7) Blackening of engine oil should be traced. Generally a defective PCV is One cause. Also, ensure that thermostatic valve is installed and functioning well. Engine oil flushing is to be done along with (prior) to oil change.
    8) use API / ILSAC GF-5 rated oil which has Zin and phosphorous around or below 800 ppm. Zin and phosphorus are notorious for catalytic converter chocking and damages.
    9) many things, I shall explain later.
    10) Sorry, very poor on this.
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for your replies:

Quote Originally Posted by imrananr View Post
    Answers:
    1) Yes, replace oil filter, it effects the mileage. Oil filter to be replaced with oil change. Nothing to do with mileage.
    8) use API / ILSAC GF-5 rated oil which has Zin and phosphorous around or below 800 ppm. Zin and phosphorus are notorious for catalytic converter chocking and damages.
    Yes, I have been regularly changing oil filter with oil changes at every 5000km.

My last oil change was done with liqui moly 5w40 fully synthetic. They recommended the next change after 10,000 km. Not sure about its Zin and phosphorus level. Earlier I was using caltex fully synthetic oil 5w30 and changing it every 5000 km. Maybe I should return to that oil. Its a dark yellow bottle available at caltex pumps.

2) spark plugs not required before 40,000 KM. Unless, any starting problem in faced in which its involved. Does play a role in complete combustion and consequently improved mileage.
    I am not facing any starting problems. So I will just get it checked.

3) fuel filter has nothing to do with fuel consumption.
    Noted - thanks

5) what hoses you are talking about?
    Talking about the pipes that circulate coolant in engine - radiator. I have heard they get hard with time and after 100,000KM should be changed. They can burst in high temperatures with AC?

6) there is nothing as tappet tuning, it's called tappet adjustment. It plays a role in engine performance and consequently improved fuel consumption. Should be done if noisy or experiencing starting problem.
    Tappet adjustment it is - I feel car more noisy with AC in low gears. I have never done tappet adjustments. Do you think it should be done now at 100,000 KM

7) Blackening of engine oil should be traced. Generally a defective PCV is One cause. Also, ensure that thermostatic valve is installed and functioning well. Engine oil flushing is to be done along with (prior) to oil change.
    Blackening was reported by pump guy who was changing oil while car was only driven 14000 KM. Do you think defect like PCV can come at such early stage. I have never noticed reduced oil in car even after driving 7,000 KM on same oil.

9) many things, I shall explain later.
    Waiting for your explanation on this

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

L
    Thank you for your replies:

Yes, I have been regularly changing oil filter with oil changes at every 5000km.

My last oil change was done with liqui moly 5w40 fully synthetic. They recommended the next change after 10,000 km. Not sure about its Zin and phosphorus level. Earlier I was using caltex fully synthetic oil 5w30 and changing it every 5000 km. Maybe I should return to that oil. Its a dark yellow bottle available at caltex pumps.

I am not facing any starting problems. So I will just get it checked.

Noted - thanks

Talking about the pipes that circulate coolant in engine - radiator. I have heard they get hard with time and after 100,000KM should be changed. They can burst in high temperatures with AC?

Tappet adjustment it is - I feel car more noisy with AC in low gears. I have never done tappet adjustments. Do you think it should be done now at 100,000 KM

Blackening was reported by pump guy who was changing oil while car was only driven 14000 KM. Do you think defect like PCV can come at such early stage. I have never noticed reduced oil in car even after driving 7,000 KM on same oil.

Waiting for your explanation on this
    In answer#1, I had done a typo mistake. Air filter is a big contributor to fuel consumption. Engine Oil filter has nothing to do with fuel consumption.

Use 5w30 engine oil for your engine which I believe is to be of 1.0L capacity(1000 cc). Carry out engine flushing prior to oil change and replace oil with synthetic 5w30, with API / ILSAC GF-5 certification. Oil with is certification shall have Zinc and phosphorous below or around 800 ppm.

Since your approaching 100,000 KM on the odometer, carry out the following:

Replace the following:
    1) Engine cooing system (radiator) coolant.
    2) All radiator / cooling system hoses. Install genuine ones. No compromise on this.
    3) Thermostatic valve.
    4) PCV valve.
    5) Brake system flushing and brake fluid replacement.
    6) A/C cabin filter replacement.
    7) Spark plug if it has done more than 40,000.
    8) transmission oil and filter
    9) Change serpentine belt/s

Check, clean or replace if required:
    1) Front and rear brake pads/shoes.
    2) Tie-rod ends, inner and outer.
    3) Ultrasonic cleaning of fuel injection nozzles
    4) Wheel bearings
    5) Radiator
    6) Throttle body, if required.(not necessary)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i would like to make a correction fuel filter has a role to play with fuel mileage! a choked fuel filter will allow less fuel to flow through as it being clogged! if less fuel and dirty fuel flows through the fuel filter it will clog the injectors and and as dirty fuel will be flowing through the filter it will effect quality of fuel reaching the engine and the ecu will demand for more fuel since the car will be running lean hence the ecu will demand more fuel causing the car to run rich! and a clogged fuel filter causes problems in idling the car sputters while standing idle besides this when u press on the throttle there is no throttle response! hence a clogged fuel filter does play a role in fuel mileage! a unclogged fuel filter will allow fuel to flow freely! clogged fuel filter even causes problems in starting
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

L[QUOTE=aamirq;4814182]i would like to make a correction fuel filter has a role to play with fuel mileage! a choked fuel filter will allow less fuel to flow through as it being clogged! if less fuel and dirty fuel flows through the fuel filter it will clog the injectors and and as dirty fuel will be flowing through the filter it will effect quality of fuel reaching the engine and the ecu will demand for more fuel since the car will be running lean hence the ecu will demand more fuel causing the car to run rich! and a clogged fuel filter causes problems in idling the car sputters while standing idle besides this when u press on the throttle there is no throttle response! hence a clogged fuel filter does play a role in fuel mileage! a unclogged fuel filter will allow fuel to flow freely! clogged fuel filter even causes problems in starting[/QUOTEI

I am talking about engine oil filter.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

engine oil filter and fuel filter are two differenet things! im talking abt a fuel filter not oil filter!
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamirq View Post
    i would like to make a correction fuel filter has a role to play with fuel mileage! a choked fuel filter will allow less fuel to flow through as it being clogged! if less fuel and dirty fuel flows through the fuel filter it will clog the injectors and and as dirty fuel will be flowing through the filter it will effect quality of fuel reaching the engine and the ecu will demand for more fuel since the car will be running lean hence the ecu will demand more fuel causing the car to run rich! and a clogged fuel filter causes problems in idling the car sputters while standing idle besides this when u press on the throttle there is no throttle response! hence a clogged fuel filter does play a role in fuel mileage! a unclogged fuel filter will allow fuel to flow freely! clogged fuel filter even causes problems in starting
    Truly said with regards to fuel filter.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Tappets need to be adjusted every 25000 kilometers I guess. Please confirm in your cars maintainence schedule in the service manual.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Asslam-u-Alaikum,

Thanks
    Hassan
    My advice to you is not to carry out tappet adjustment at present. You will have to find a capable mechanic/workshop for this. Presently avoid it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks you all for the replies.

You are very right about air filter. Now to think of it, in my last oil change, service person had put a non genuine air filter and said it works best for 10,000 km so you can change it on next oil change. Since my daily drive is around 70km in rush hour, I think this non genuine filter is the biggest culprit in reducing fuel mileage.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks you all for the replies.

You are very right about air filter. Now to think of it, in my last oil change, service person had put a non genuine air filter and said it works best for 10,000 km so you can change it on next oil change. Since my daily drive is around 70km in rush hour, I think this non genuine filter is the biggest culprit in reducing fuel mileage.
    Also consider the engine oil viscosity grade. 5w40 full synthetic at 100,000 km might seem OK, but 5w30 is the best choice which shall give you improved fuel economy.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Need help again

I have done basic engine tuneups. Engine oil changed, oil filter, air filter changed, oil grade changed back to caltex fully synthetic, carburetor cleaned, spark plugs changed.

The problem is car feels sluggish when accelerator padel is pressed slightly or even when fully pressed, it first feels heavy/sluggish and then car picks up after some time. It seems like car is not getting enough air or fuel. But these things have been checked and cleared by mechanic. Anymore tips?

Mechanic has suggested adding fuel injector cleaner once in full fuel fill-up.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Need help again

I have done basic engine tuneups. Engine oil changed, oil filter, air filter changed, oil grade changed back to caltex fully synthetic, carburetor cleaned, spark plugs changed.

The problem is car feels sluggish when accelerator padel is pressed slightly or even when fully pressed, it first feels heavy/sluggish and then car picks up after some time. It seems like car is not getting enough air or fuel. But these things have been checked and cleared by mechanic. Anymore tips?

Mechanic has suggested adding fuel injector cleaner once in full fuel fill-up.
    Try the injector cleaner or half a tank of high octane, either one should do the trick

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dayrider View Post
    Try the injector cleaner or half a tank of high octane, either one should do the trick
    I will try injector cleaner. I always use high octane so that is not a problem. Problem started just few weeks ago.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If any trick works, kindly let me know. Same condition with my corolla.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I will try injector cleaner. I always use high octane so that is not a problem. Problem started just few weeks ago.
    Did you try injector cleaner?
    alkandar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List