0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Passo 2009 (Engine: 1KR-FE) CVT fluid advice

Just got the engine and transmission on my Passo replaced from a local mechanic in Lahore. So far everything seems good. The mechanic is good, works with his experience but has no idea on how to refer to repair manuals.

During this process of engine and transmission replacement, the transmission fluid was also replaced; he used 2 liters of Caltex brand which was claimed to also work for CVT. It turns out that Caltex does make such a fluid. Details here:https://go.lupinsys.com/caltex/harms...hed/individual

Here is the problem:

Toyota recommended brand for CVT transmission oil is about three to four times more expensive than Caltex brand that I used. That forces me to think if I need to get the transmission fluid replaced from Toyota. I also hear that some pressure adjustment has to be done for CVT oil (I don't think my mechanic did that). Finally, my mechanic just used 2 liters while I hear that it might take more and I might be running the car without enough transmission fluid.

Despite all this, my mechanic seemed to know what he is doing though he never would know how to read the manuals.

Am I playing in dangerous territory if I keep the Caltex CVT fluid that my transmission currently has? What do you experienced guys suggest?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What is the gear pattern of your gearbox?
    P R N D 2 L?
    Or
    P R N D S L?
    Since its 2009 model, I believe passo didn't come equipped with a CVT gearbox from factory. Its regular 4 speed AT transmission.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using PW Forums

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    349 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    What is the gear pattern of your gearbox?
    P R N D 2 L?
    Or
    P R N D S L?
    Since its 2009 model, I believe passo didn't come equipped with a CVT gearbox from factory. Its regular 4 speed AT transmission.

He said he have recently swapped engine with transmission he may have got CVT transmission

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    He said he have recently swapped engine with transmission he may have got CVT transmission
    Ya this is why I asked him for gear box shift pattern.
    Normally people confuse regular AT with cvt gear boxes.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The gear pattern on the stick (under steering wheel) is P R N D 2 L. Does that mean it is normal ATF or CVT?

If this gear pattern is CVT and 2009 does not come with CVT, I may have misread the model? I had checked it on the driver side seat belt.

I do not feel I had a different transmission before and after the swap. The "looked" the same to me.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    Though I am not 100% sure but I think the old transmission and new transmission are the same. At least, the units looked visibly the same.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

From gear pattern the transmission seems ATF. The gear pattern of CVT us P R N D S B. CVT comes in 2010 onwards models. Recommended oil for Toyota ATF is T- IV and quantity required is around 3 liters.

Sent from my Lenovo P70-A using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rehmanahmed1 View Post
    From gear pattern the transmission seems ATF. The gear pattern of CVT us P R N D S B. CVT comes in 2010 onwards models. Recommended oil for Toyota ATF is T- IV and quantity required is around 3 liters.

Thanks. Yes, the model is 2009, so the original engine/transmission was ATM (not CVT). I had the engine/transmission swapped. How do I find out if the new transmission in CVT or ATM? Note that new transmission could have been from a later model as well. The shifting of gears was "smooth" even with the old transmission which was ATM. Any authentic method to find out if the new transmission I have is CVT or ATM?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rayyu View Post
    Thanks. Yes, the model is 2009, so the original engine/transmission was ATM (not CVT). I had the engine/transmission swapped. How do I find out if the new transmission in CVT or ATM? Note that new transmission could have been from a later model as well. The shifting of gears was "smooth" even with the old transmission which was ATM. Any authentic method to find out if the new transmission I have is CVT or ATM?
    It can be found from the transmission code, if u know that, whether a transmission is AT or CVT.
    U can also check from the response of transmission. The initial response of a CVT is sluggish while AT is quite responsive. Also the gear shifting of CVT is very much smooth than that of a AT, u don't feel even the slightest jerk in a CVT.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No offence sir, but if the mechanic is that great he should be able to tell whether he put the same engine and transmission as the old one or was there some alteration. Most of the Passo here are having 1.0L engine which is coded as 1KR-FE (as far as I know). Engine and transmission is same from 2004 to 2009. In 2010 shape was changed along with the transmission, although engine is same i.e. 1KR-FE. Till 2009 it came with A/T, while 2010 onward use CVT. I am not an expert in the matter, yet I think he would have replaced the same setup with identical one and so it should be A/T.
    Simplest possible way is to look for a transmission dipstick that is used to check transmission oil level. 2004 to 2009 models have that dipstick (plz do remember its different from engine oil dipstick). 2010 onwars having CVT do not have that dipstick, rather the level is checked by opening the bottom pan drain nut.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by changwani54 View Post
    No offence sir, but if the mechanic is that great he should be able to tell whether he put the same engine and transmission as the old one or was there some alteration. Most of the Passo here are having 1.0L engine which is coded as 1KR-FE (as far as I know). Engine and transmission is same from 2004 to 2009. In 2010 shape was changed along with the transmission, although engine is same i.e. 1KR-FE. Till 2009 it came with A/T, while 2010 onward use CVT. I am not an expert in the matter, yet I think he would have replaced the same setup with identical one and so it should be A/T.
    Simplest possible way is to look for a transmission dipstick that is used to check transmission oil level. 2004 to 2009 models have that dipstick (plz do remember its different from engine oil dipstick). 2010 onwars having CVT do not have that dipstick, rather the level is checked by opening the bottom pan drain nut.
    CVT in Passo has also dipstick to check level of transmission oil.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh.. my bad then.. I am having 2012 Vitz and 2004 Passo at home. Vitz doesn't have the dipstick and since 2010 onward Passo came with CVT so I assumed the same for it too. If that's the case then it would be a bit hard for a common man to know which transmission is it. Still, mechanic should be able to tell if the replaced one was 100% same as original or there was some alteration.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hmmm... so, there seems to be no straight forward way to tell if the transmission is CVT or A/T. That's very disappointing.

Driving experience: there is a very very minor "shift" I notice but it is so subtle that most people will probably ignore it, even if they are paying attention. Too bad that they have made A/T transmission so smooth that just the driving experience can't distinguish between the two.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hmmm... so, there seems to be no straight forward way to tell if the transmission is CVT or A/T. That's very disappointing.

Driving experience: there is a very very minor "shift" I notice but it is so subtle that most people will probably ignore it, even if they are paying attention. Too bad that they have made A/T transmission so smooth that just the driving experience can't distinguish between the two.
    In fact for a CVT transmission, it is written over the cap of dipstick. But since u have changed engine and transmission, that's why it's not clear.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How can you not notice the difference in the drive of an auto and cvt auto? Passo with AT is quick at launch, and when you floor it the revs go all the way up till it shifts up to the second gear and the sound of the engine completely changes. The shift is impossible to not notice.
    In a CVT Passo when you floor the accelerator from a complete stop the engine goes to high rpm and the car moves without any jerk and then the vehicle speed keeps increasing while the engine rpm do not drop considerably...until the vehicle speed has increased to match the revs...
    If you're still not sure, test drive a 2010 or above Passo and see what it feels like.
    Lastly if your transmission is actually cvt (which I doubt) put in toyota CVT oil only.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Update here: after a month of using the new engine, i notice a drop in engine oil level.

The engine was bought from bilal ganj. What are my options?

This brings up a related question: when people buy a new engine, how are they sure the new one will work fine? Or is it always a risk?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Update here: after a month of using the new engine, i notice a drop in engine oil level.

The engine was bought from bilal ganj. What are my options?

This brings up a related question: when people buy a new engine, how are they sure the new one will work fine? Or is it always a risk?
    Minor amount of oil consumption is normal. No need to worry.
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List