Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota Prius fan club

Salam

More People are buying Prius and soon its going to be a common car in Pakistan .

Guys Please share your experience , knowledge and comments about this car.

(Just to give you an idea) :

FUEL ECONOMY FOR US EPA

YEAR/MODEL CITY (UNIT: KM /L) HIGHWAY(UNIT: KM/L)
    2004-9 2ND GEN PRIUS(1.5) 20.40 19.13
    2010-12 3RD GEN PRIUS (1.8) 21.68 20.40
    2012 PRIUS C (1.5) 22.53 19.55
    2012 PRIUS V (1.8) 18.7 17.0

FUEL ECONOMY FOR JAPAN 10-15 Mode test

YEAR/MODEL CITY (UNIT: KM /L) HIGHWAY(UNIT: KM/L)
    2004-9 2ND GEN PRIUS(1.5) 35.5 29.6
    2010-12 3RD GEN PRIUS (1.8) 38 32.6
    PRIUS ALPHA(V)(1.8) 31 26.2
    2012 PRIUS AQUA (C )(1.5) 40 35.4

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    I asked you to explain/expand your last comment towards me..
    Sorry can't recall .. which one was it again?
    Drive carefully! Remember, it's not only a car that can be recalled by it's maker.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for writing all this.

I recall people used be skeptical about cars with automatic transmission in Pakistan when they first arrived here fearing unavailability of parts and good mechanics.. today it sounds a funny reason for not buying an automatic- The same thing happened when cars with EFI were introduced, now even the SUZUKI MEHRAN comes with an EFI engine.

Adding to what you have already said

8- Why the next Gov is considering declaring Hybrids exempt from import duty
    9- Why even top line luxury Cars/SUVs are now available in Hybrid even in PAK I.e. E-Class Merc, Cayenne
    10- Why is Toyota - Indus introducing Prius in Pakistan (Indus Motors plans to introduce the Prius Hybrid in Pakistan | Cars News) they have already tested 2 separate models
    11- Why even a Chinese maker about to introduce a small 800 CC hybrid car ‘Pakistan’s first 800cc hybrid car by 2014’ - thenews.com.pk

12- and finally why are there are so many Prius' being imported to Pakistan already?

Any one looking for reliable Prius mechanic or Parts (new and old) please read my previous posts.

I.e. Mechanics
    INH Motors near Airport
    Suntech Near Pepsi Factory

Parts (batteries, spare keys and other Electric)
    Javed Denso
    other parts
    Amir Autos Montgomery road

Everything and anything else
    Bilal Gunj zinda bad

Pakistan Aakhir Mareekh per nahee issi Zameen per hai
    Drive carefully! Remember, it's not only a car that can be recalled by it's maker.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys any idea which model/trims of Prius will be introduced by Toyota Indus in July/August ?????

What will be the expected price range ??
    Education is not any Degree or Certificate.
    Education is the our attitude,language & behaviour with others in life............!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for writing all this.

I recall people used be skeptical about cars with automatic transmission in Pakistan when they first arrived here fearing unavailability of parts and good mechanics.. today it sounds a funny reason for not buying an automatic- The same thing happened when cars with EFI were introduced, now even the SUZUKI MEHRAN comes with an EFI engine.

Adding to what you have already said

8- Why the next Gov is considering declaring Hybrids exempt from import duty
    9- Why even top line luxury Cars/SUVs are now available in Hybrid even in PAK I.e. E-Class Merc, Cayenne
    10- Why is Toyota - Indus introducing Prius in Pakistan (Indus Motors plans to introduce the Prius Hybrid in Pakistan | Cars News) they have already tested 2 separate models
    11- Why even a Chinese maker about to introduce a small 800 CC hybrid car ‘Pakistan’s first 800cc hybrid car by 2014’ - thenews.com.pk

12- and finally why are there are so many Prius' being imported to Pakistan already?

Any one looking for reliable Prius mechanic or Parts (new and old) please read my previous posts.

I.e. Mechanics
    INH Motors near Airport
    Suntech Near Pepsi Factory

Parts (batteries, spare keys and other Electric)
    Javed Denso
    other parts
    Amir Autos Montgomery road

Everything and anything else
    Bilal Gunj zinda bad

Pakistan Aakhir Mareekh per nahee issi Zameen per hai

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bilalalam View Post
    Sorry can't recall .. which one was it again?
    about 6 pages or so back
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sdogar View Post
    I mentioned the warranty just to highlight the point earlier by the guy that you will have to change the battery after 1 year, of course there is no warranty in Pakistan.

Regarding sending the car to be junk after 5 years, i don't know whether to believe you or the study by POLK that 95% of prius sold in last 10 years are still on road.
    Also if the car is difficuilt to maintain and run why the professional magzaines of USA are giving the Prius best value for money :

1. Best value award by intellichoice 2013 for Prius for passenger car, compact passenger car, and crossover(2013 Best Car Value Awards | Lowest Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) | IntelliChoice.com)
    2. 2013 lowest operating and maintenance cost and retained value by intellichoice.
    3. Best buy award 2013 by consumer guide(Toyota's Prius Tops Consumer Guide(R) Automotive's 2013 Best Buy Awards - Yahoo! Finance)
    4.Why it tops consumer reports best value ratings (Toyota Prius Tops Consumer Reports Ratings - ABC News)
    5. Why the 3 prius models in US sales is growing and currently they are in top 15 USA(cumulative sales) beating the sales of Jetta,golf etc etc.
    6. Why the 40 % of Toyota sales are now of hybrid cars ?
    7. Why in Japan Prius is number one selling car in sales for 3 straight years and the twin priuses(aqua+prius) sell around 38000/month beating their nearest rival by 3 times.
    8.Why prius gets 9.1 rating from consumers on Kelly blue book ?(Kelley Blue Book) and 9 on Edmunds (2010 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews)

The very reason the Prius and other hybrids are still on the road is because the manufacturer stands behind them on their warranty, e.g. how many of the same cars have required some replacement part during its run (those stats dont say) - as everything powertrain is warrantied for 5 years and then extended warranties are sold after 5, the cars survive. Almost no-one risks owning it at pocket expense.

I can bet you a million dollars that no customer of the country you posted the stats from will even attempt to buy this car if the manufacturer did not support it with unquestioned 5 year warranty. Even then the customers get burned, e.g. if the A/C goes bad on a new one - only Toyota are allowed to service it as the compressor is electric. Too many liability issues (mechanics professional insurance is already painfully expensive).

You are reading press media and asserting that is gospel? Why not inquire about it from regular customers or a dealership that sells it. At any given time in a Toyota dealership a bunch of Prius available are usually there for 4 months before a customer even asks for them. The most quick selling of them is the camry and corolla.

speaking of running cost - Nissan leaf is 100% electric and you get to charge it for free at a number of places, that means zero dollars to fuel, you just pay for tires and brake service (brake service is required after a long time) - strange they did not mention that car. Or the Tesla S sedan. Its also 100% electric (pricey but nice)

The technology is fantastic - just need a bigger floor plan to implement it in Pakistan.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    The very reason the Prius and other hybrids are still on the road is because the manufacturer stands behind them on their warranty, e.g. how many of the same cars have required some replacement part during its run (those stats dont say) - as everything powertrain is warrantied for 5 years and then extended warranties are sold after 5, the cars survive. Almost no-one risks owning it at pocket expense.

I can bet you a million dollars that no customer of the country you posted the stats from will even attempt to buy this car if the manufacturer did not support it with unquestioned 5 year warranty. Even then the customers get burned, e.g. if the A/C goes bad on a new one - only Toyota are allowed to service it as the compressor is electric. Too many liability issues (mechanics professional insurance is already painfully expensive).

You are reading press media and asserting that is gospel? Why not inquire about it from regular customers or a dealership that sells it. At any given time in a Toyota dealership a bunch of Prius available are usually there for 4 months before a customer even asks for them. The most quick selling of them is the camry and corolla.

speaking of running cost - Nissan leaf is 100% electric and you get to charge it for free at a number of places, that means zero dollars to fuel, you just pay for tires and brake service (brake service is required after a long time) - strange they did not mention that car. Or the Tesla S sedan. Its also 100% electric (pricey but nice)

The technology is fantastic - just need a bigger floor plan to implement it in Pakistan.
    Xulfiqar having a company backed warranty sounds nice- Only if the warranty is ever provided. I have had 2 bad experiences with local car manufacturers First being with Toyota where I bought a 03 Se Saloon that had a noisy gear box right from the start, after numerous claims and phaddas with Toyota walton I ended up paying Rs. 23,000 in repairs because Toyota walton would not entertain my claim. Second was the issue with my 10 Honda City where the steering made clunk noises at full turn, but the same thing happened when i went for a claim, Honda simply refused to admit that there was any sound/noise at all I ended up replacing the 'Kanghi" by my self.
    I also heard some one who was sold a brand new Corolla at one of the Pindi outlets that had 2 body pieces touched. But he was lucky enough to get the car replaced

Of course it would be nice to have a real manufacturers warranty in Pakistan, but until that happens buying local crap is also useless as although the manufacturers give warranty but don't honor it at all.

I have copied a link to the news about Toyota Indus planning to introduce Prius in Q3 this year, that should resolve the warranty issue. (although I doubt any local manufacturers entertain any warranty claims)

I have three Jap imports at my house(including a hybrid) the oldest one bought 3 years ago, and Alhamdolilah have not had any issue so far finding a mechanic or sourcing a part- At the end of the day its a personal choice, I will prefer buying a Japanese import and source parts on my own rather than being ripped off by local manufacturers again that don't even honor their warranty

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What was it bhai?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar What was it bhai?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar What was it bhai?
    I had quoted your comment in post 264 - its still there...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar having a company backed warranty sounds nice- Only if the warranty is ever provided. I have had 2 bad experiences with local car manufacturers First being with Toyota where I bought a 03 Se Saloon that had a noisy gear box right from the start, after numerous claims and phaddas with Toyota walton I ended up paying Rs. 23,000 in repairs because Toyota walton would not entertain my claim. Second was the issue with my 10 Honda City where the steering made clunk noises at full turn, but the same thing happened when i went for a claim, Honda simply refused to admit that there was any sound/noise at all I ended up replacing the 'Kanghi" by my self.
    I also heard some one who was sold a brand new Corolla at one of the Pindi outlets that had 2 body pieces touched. But he was lucky enough to get the car replaced

Of course it would be nice to have a real manufacturers warranty in Pakistan, but until that happens buying local crap is also useless as although the manufacturers give warranty but don't honor it at all.

I have copied a link to the news about Toyota Indus planning to introduce Prius in Q3 this year, that should resolve the warranty issue. (although I doubt any local manufacturers entertain any warranty claims)

I have three Jap imports at my house(including a hybrid) the oldest one bought 3 years ago, and Alhamdolilah have not had any issue so far finding a mechanic or sourcing a part- At the end of the day its a personal choice, I will prefer buying a Japanese import and source parts on my own rather than being ripped off by local manufacturers again that don't even honor their warranty
    I have also have Toyota and also Honda replace faulty parts in their products of Pakistan. You just need to show them how its wrong - and if they have any excuse - ask for a similar product demonstration of the same issue which you are deeming is a problem. If they still balk and put up excuses - contact the manufacturer. Worked for me...

It may also be due to the fact that they would call me for diagnosis and repairs of "weird problems" or something that they lacked the worksman of (automatic trans repair etc) - but as a customer you have the right to a working product as you paid for it and all machine products have a defined visual/audible/feel of normal.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Aslamualikum

Guys What will be the price tag of the Prius being launched here?Rough idea?
    I think it wont be less than 2 million

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by addikted View Post
    Aslamualikum

Guys What will be the price tag of the Prius being launched here?Rough idea?
    I think it wont be less than 2 million
    it will surely b more then 2.5 million
    I do it because i can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't =)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Lea300 View Post
    it will surely b more then 2.5 million
    well i think it will be more than 3 million or even more than 3.5 million because altis is already above 2 million so why would they charge below 3 million for a hybrid car

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Seen a lot of calculations going on this thread where people are comparing their petrol consumption VS maintenance cost of Hybrid and trying to prove its a waste.
    With all due respect and without being rude may I comment
    1- Any one claiming that an 8-10 year old 1.3 ltr and above car is giving a fuel consumption of 15KM/L - 18K/L etc etc are actually trying to prove the Japanese car makers wrong- even the people who manufactured these cars don't claim their cars can give such consumption. So please recheck your odos.
    2- I have owned a manual 10 model city with the latest iVTEC Honda engine, needless to say most economical and light weight Honda city ever made. I drove it for some 50,000 KM before selling it off, used Hi octane percentage in each tank full, I am a light driver and I kid you not it never crossed 12.5 KM/L. Comparing that to my 07 Prius I save Rs 3400 on each tank full- (City used to cost me Rs 8/KM and Prius costs me 4.54/KM please feel free to challenge my claim.) driving on average 1000 KM/ month it saves me Rs 41,000/year-
    3- Now the Hybrid batteries Issue, which seems to be the worst night mare here.
    a- batteries don't die each year or so
    b-they (kabli type) are available for 35-70 thousand rupees.
    so assuming that the hybrid batteries die every year (that is only after 12,000 KM, which wont happen)

I am still a winner

Above all and talking of build quality, the local crappy civics, cities and corollas are no comparison to driving pleasure and the luxuries and the toys that you get in a Prius.

Lastly, all new and used Prius parts are available- so unavailability of parts is a myth. The petrol engine is the same as your 1.5 Jap corolla / fielder. Prius body and electric motor parts are also available in Peshawar and Bilal Gunj LHR (must be in other cities too) new ones can be had from Amir auto parts Montgomery road.

Also someone commented here that the water body (of electric motor) only lasts 80K KM. I believe there is no specific service life for water body of a Prius- functionality wise it is like any other petrol or diesel engine water body. so chances of it going bad are as high or as low as any other Diesel or Gasoline motor.
    Bilal i went to javed denso and he told me that water pump usually lasts around 80k KM but on internet ive read in some cars it lasted for 176 KM. So it all depends on your luck. Moreover my last two tanks are giving low mileage. One tank gave me 870 KM while last one gave me 760 KM. Earlier my car was giving me more than 1000 KM. Is this has to do with tuning and throttle body service or I have to get it checked thoroughly?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Nabeel

The Drop in your mileage could be due to the following reasons:
    1- Using air conditioning at full fan speed/ Auto (as the A/C wont trip off as often)
    2- Driving slow on busy roads

My car was giving me 23 KM/L and now its giving me 17-18 KM/L since i am using air conditioning non stop.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Nabeel

1- Using air conditioning at full fan speed/ Auto (as the A/C wont trip off as often)

My car was giving me 23 KM/L and now its giving me 17-18 KM/L since i am using air conditioning non stop.
    my prius was also giving me 22.8 in april ...but from last month she is giving 18.2 km/l

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Duties reduced on Hybrid cars in 2013-14 budget? Anyone with info?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arsh247 View Post
    Duties reduced on Hybrid cars in 2013-14 budget? Anyone with info?
    yes, upto 1200 CC hybrid cars are duty free. and

upto 1800 CC have 50% reduced duty and tax. I think it was 75% before so now 75% minus 50% = 25% applicable.

i recommend you checking pakwheels homepage often.

Pakistan to go Green - Duties Slashed Off of Hybrid Cars | PakWheels Blog

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Nabeel

I am experiencing the same. Also another factor is the warm temperature .

any idea what will be the effect of new duties on prius price. I heard from a friend that the prices have gone up in Japan auctions

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List