Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota Prius fan club

Salam

More People are buying Prius and soon its going to be a common car in Pakistan .

Guys Please share your experience , knowledge and comments about this car.

(Just to give you an idea) :

FUEL ECONOMY FOR US EPA

YEAR/MODEL CITY (UNIT: KM /L) HIGHWAY(UNIT: KM/L)
    2004-9 2ND GEN PRIUS(1.5) 20.40 19.13
    2010-12 3RD GEN PRIUS (1.8) 21.68 20.40
    2012 PRIUS C (1.5) 22.53 19.55
    2012 PRIUS V (1.8) 18.7 17.0

FUEL ECONOMY FOR JAPAN 10-15 Mode test

YEAR/MODEL CITY (UNIT: KM /L) HIGHWAY(UNIT: KM/L)
    2004-9 2ND GEN PRIUS(1.5) 35.5 29.6
    2010-12 3RD GEN PRIUS (1.8) 38 32.6
    PRIUS ALPHA(V)(1.8) 31 26.2
    2012 PRIUS AQUA (C )(1.5) 40 35.4

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
    Impressive llookks, Which model it is orignally, any idea k kya mileage de rhi hai for a liter petrol ?
    thanx bro, its S- Basemodel , 2007 manufactured. driving it since friday , got it's tank full and first point dropped at 135km then second one dropped at 218km ...right now i have driven it 250KM and 8points r remaining out of 10.
    display shows that its giving me 24km/l ...but i m testing it with total KM done in a complete tank , i hope she will give me an avg of 25km/l

Quote Originally Posted by drtariqazeem View Post
    @jaggi.... bro do post ur experience of ur new ride.... espacially about AC... Howz its AirCon performance...??
    beautiful ride though... mashAllah.
    thanx bro

so far she is giving me full pleasure....I have imported two Prius (one is S-Pacakge 10th anniversary edition and the otherone is base model) both r in pristine condition. Airconditioner is so perfect and i always put its blower at Low coz my hands get too cold while driving

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

OK Mr addikted - you think Im misleading people? - Please enlighten me about the fact that 95% of the articles speak of the american market which is very different from the Pakistani market.

Or very simply do you know of the tax cuts and subsidies are given to lure people into buying such vehicles, The same article also speaks of it. You can view the link I provided and ask yourself where would you stand if you had to face such repair in Pakistan. Its not that its one of a million situation its a known repair that you will have to execute at some point in time.

Please come over to the US and take a walk in a Toyota dealership and see how many Priuses are standing there for sale and how far they will discount it just to sell it. Same fate of the camry hybrid. If you walk to the GM dealership the chev volt is also the same and its got a massive subsidy from the govt. All such cars will see the crusher in 5 years as no one would want to foot the repair bill of equal remaining value of the car after 5 years.

And US is a country where you can go to any city with a toyota dealership and get your toyota serviced just like any big city. In Pakistan if you break down in Larkana you need to tow that Prius to Karachi without question.

Im not dissing the concept - but accept that this car is not built to last, its built as a disposable appliance - problem is that you are getting it as a USED appliance which has no service centres. I dont believe you will ever buy a washing machine of high repute if it has no service centres in the whole country.

If this car comes brand new and backed by the manufacturer for YOU in YOUR COUNTRY - its good. Otherwise you are misleading.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Few things i wanted to clear :
    1.Every one is saying about the cars economy better on petrol,isnt the engine in prius similar to the other toyota 1500CC section cars?Any thing special related to engine?

2.Whats up with this battery thing,what does it require to run,is there any maintainance cost for it?(This question is related to running the car on battery which includes total km it runs and how much can the car go on.)

3.I know that Prius in pakistan has no chance of survival till Indus motor bring thier own prius so that maintanance becomes easily at every showroom.So should i sell my Altis 1.8 for this car?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now these are some real concerns as a Pakistani ... Good questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Hesab_Magsi View Post
    1.Every one is saying about the cars economy better on petrol,isnt the engine in prius similar to the other toyota 1500CC section cars?Any thing special related to engine?

2.Whats up with this battery thing,what does it require to run,is there any maintainance cost for it?(This question is related to running the car on battery which includes total km it runs and how much can the car go on.)

3.I know that Prius in pakistan has no chance of survival till Indus motor bring thier own prius so that maintanance becomes easily at every showroom.So should i sell my Altis 1.8 for this car?
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'll try my best to answer your questions;

Answer 1. Yes, Prius has 1.5L engine. It operates both battery and engine as needed. Computer controls this based on your driving.
    You can learn more about hybrid technology, go to hybridcars.com

Answer 2. There are 2 batteries in Prius. LV and HV. LV is the conventional battery 12V. and HV is the hybrid battery that charges and powers the car as needed. If HV is charged 60-70% then you can drive your car up to 60km/h powered by battery. How far it goes, it depends but you can see the battery and engine actions on MFD (multi function display). If you drive at higher speeds, then battery and engine both power the vehicle to improve performance. I have not heard of any Hybrid battery failures. You can also check it on wikipedia, search for Toyota Prius and you can read a research conducted by American Magazine. That is a good example of battery life.

Answer 3. Replacing with Altis. I have two 1.8 Altis and one 1.6. Then I bought this Prius. My observation is Altis average is 10km/L and Prius average is 19.5km/L in the city. I didn't sell my Altis but now I am thinking about to get rid of this Altis. On average I spend about 25000 per month on fuel for my Altis. However, for my Prius, from Sept 18 to Oct 10, I have spent about Rs. 9000 in fuel costs. I still have 3/4 of fuel tank available for use. So, my estimate is, the remaining fuel is good for another 10 days. So may savings will be 25000-9000 = 16000 for this month alone.

I shared this real life example, I hope it helps you make right decision.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

first of all thank you very much.

Very detailed expalaination and a thing to learn, 16000 saving is not a small amount ... 100% super saving.

Quote Originally Posted by arsh247 View Post

Answer 1. Yes, Prius has 1.5L engine. It operates both battery and engine as needed. Computer controls this based on your driving.

Answer 2. There are 2 batteries in Prius. LV and HV. LV is the conventional battery 12V. and HV is the hybrid battery that charges and powers the car as needed. If HV is charged 60-70% then you can drive your car up to 60km/h powered by battery. How far it goes, it depends but you can see the battery and engine actions on MFD (multi function display). If you drive at higher speeds, then battery and engine both power the vehicle to improve performance. I have not heard of any Hybrid battery failures. You can also check it on wikipedia, search for Toyota Prius and you can read a research conducted by American Magazine. That is a good example of battery life.

Answer 3. Replacing with Altis. I have two 1.8 Altis and one 1.6. Then I bought this Prius. My observation is Altis average is 10km/L and Prius average is 19.5km/L in the city. I didn't sell my Altis but now I am thinking about to get rid of this Altis. On average I spend about 25000 per month on fuel for my Altis. However, for my Prius, from Sept 18 to Oct 10, I have spent about Rs. 9000 in fuel costs. I still have 3/4 of fuel tank available for use. So, my estimate is, the remaining fuel is good for another 10 days. So may savings will be 25000-9000 = 16000 for this month alone.

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arsh247 View Post

So how is the battery getting charged actually?

Im not much concerned about fuel economy,but that would be good if it does have this option but having prius is worth against Altis in terms of Space + drive?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@zulfiqar Prius has the best history to be on the road without glitches.The very rare problem that you high lighted does not apply on hundreds of thousands of Prius.10 year old Prius are still running on the road in America without any problem.I know people owning Prius in US for 11 years and they still loving it..If you don't like Prius then i cant help it but the world sure does love it.

Video: Second-generation Toyota Prius still reliable, efficient after 200,000 miles
    http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...shColumbiaHome

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Magsi brother just try Prius for a drive and i guarantee you ll love it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by addikted View Post
    @zulfiqar Prius has the best history to be on the road without glitches.The very rare problem that you high lighted does not apply on hundreds of thousands of Prius.10 year old Prius are still running on the road in America without any problem.I know people owning Prius in US for 11 years and they still loving it..If you don't like Prius then i cant help it but the world sure does love it.

Video: Second-generation Toyota Prius still reliable, efficient after 200,000 miles
    Hybrids prove very reliable | CTV British Columbia News

What you are reading about and what the world is actually experiencing is different. The Prius is an excellent tool to make money in capitalism - the car is leased for 3 years to a new owner, fully warrantied at residual value the car is sold to a used car lot and after another 3 or 4 years the car is recycled - the new ones are made with plastic type materials sourced from plants - all more eco freindly (read as cheaper to recycle) - Im not counting the high repair costs which cause most of these in accidents to be written off as totalled.

What you are assuming is very strange - unless you plan to ditch the car when a big problem surfaces. I have good freinds here in the service divisions of toyota dealerships in Houston - their experiences are what Ive put up.

Simply put - a car as simple and standard as a mehran is easy to work on as the technology and design is basic old otto cycle, The problem with Prius is that its NOT - So it surely is excellent but only when the part manufacturer supports you.

tell me something - If you were to buy a laptop would you buy one that has no support or one that has support? - I do not count the shopping plaza technicians and old hacked laptops as support. Im talking certified factory support.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Here are my 2 cents on Prius.

1 - The cars are sold as new in Japan. They run well and under company maintenance for 5 years.
    2 - They get imported to Pakistan. The cars has average battery at this time. It can last another 5 years or so. But car will be without any company maintenance. Road side workshops will ruin a lot of things.
    3 - After using car for another 5 years in Pakistan - battery will be in bad shape. It won't charge. You will want to sell it. Even if you have all other spare parts available, the battery will still cost you around 250,000 to 300,000.

Now my question is, you bought a car for 18 lac. You used it for five years with luxury. Lets say you save around 150,000 in fuel costs over five years. Do you think you will still get 15lac for your used Prius, with no company maintenance of last 5 years and that has a dead battery. I think NO. We can't compare this car with Vitz/other JDMs. Because mechanics here can still repair those cars and they will not need a new battery after a use of 10 years.

The car is a luxury and a great choice for those who can afford to loose some money. But a common man in Pakistan, where people mostly look towards their profit and loss, this car has very bleak future.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear My average use of fuel per month is 150 litters or 2000 km/month and my car is vitz whose millage is 13.5 km/l which mean if i use vitz for 60 months the cost of fuel will be

average millage 12 km/l for 60 months (as after 36 months average shall be dropped) therefore average use of petrol will increase to 160 litters / month

average fuel cost for 60 months shall be Rs.120 as of today it is Rs.105

160 (average litters) * 60 (months) = 9600 (total litters)
    9600 (total litters) * 120 (average cost of fuel) = Rs.1152000 (total expense on petrol for 60 months)

Now for pirus

Average of pirus is 22-23 km/litters (as i have drive the car and note the millage multiple times )

2000 km/month and average millage for 60 months shall be 19.5 km/litter

2000 (km/month) / 19.5 (km/litter) = 102.5 (litters / month)
    102.5 (litters / month) * 60 (month) = 6150 (total litters)
    6150 (total litters) * 120 (average cost of fuel) = Rs.738000 (total expense on petrol for 60 months)

Therefore my dear friends you are saving Rs.1152000 - Rs.738000 = Rs.414000

Battery cost after 60 months shall be decrease more commonly used example vitz parts are very expensive 5-6 years before and now the price reduce around 30%

So battery cost shall be Rs.250000

414000(saving) - 250000(battery cost) = 164000 (total saving) and you car is good for another 3-4 years

all above calculations are on 60 month old prius, that's why i have calculate it for another 60 month because battery can live up to 120 months easily.

if you buy 36 months old prius than calculation will different as then u have to calculate it 74 months means more saving.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asimkh1 View Post
    Dear My average use of fuel per month is 150 litters or 2000 km/month and my car is vitz whose millage is 13.5 km/l which mean if i use vitz for 60 months the cost of fuel will be

average millage 12 km/l for 60 months (as after 36 months average shall be dropped) therefore average use of petrol will increase to 160 litters / month

average fuel cost for 60 months shall be Rs.120 as of today it is Rs.105

160 (average litters) * 60 (months) = 9600 (total litters)
    9600 (total litters) * 120 (average cost of fuel) = Rs.1152000 (total expense on petrol for 60 months)

Now for pirus

Average of pirus is 22-23 km/litters (as i have drive the car and note the millage multiple times )

2000 km/month and average millage for 60 months shall be 19.5 km/litter

2000 (km/month) / 19.5 (km/litter) = 102.5 (litters / month)
    102.5 (litters / month) * 60 (month) = 6150 (total litters)
    6150 (total litters) * 120 (average cost of fuel) = Rs.738000 (total expense on petrol for 60 months)

Therefore my dear friends you are saving Rs.1152000 - Rs.738000 = Rs.414000

Battery cost after 60 months shall be decrease more commonly used example vitz parts are very expensive 5-6 years before and now the price reduce around 30%

So battery cost shall be Rs.250000

414000(saving) - 250000(battery cost) = 164000 (total saving) and you car is good for another 3-4 years

all above calculations are on 60 month old prius, that's why i have calculate it for another 60 month because battery can live up to 120 months easily.

if you buy 36 months old prius than calculation will different as then u have to calculate it 74 months means more saving.
    great explanation...same way my father in law explained me wen i told him tht u cant sell it later as if the battery get weak(resale)...but he told me m saving a lot on fuel these day n tht saving can buy me the new battery, isnt it
    My lugnuts require more torque than your Vtec can put out...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    What you are reading about and what the world is actually experiencing is different. The Prius is an excellent tool to make money in capitalism - the car is leased for 3 years to a new owner, fully warrantied at residual value the car is sold to a used car lot and after another 3 or 4 years the car is recycled - the new ones are made with plastic type materials sourced from plants - all more eco freindly (read as cheaper to recycle) - Im not counting the high repair costs which cause most of these in accidents to be written off as totalled.

What you are assuming is very strange - unless you plan to ditch the car when a big problem surfaces. I have good freinds here in the service divisions of toyota dealerships in Houston - their experiences are what Ive put up.

Simply put - a car as simple and standard as a mehran is easy to work on as the technology and design is basic old otto cycle, The problem with Prius is that its NOT - So it surely is excellent but only when the part manufacturer supports you.

tell me something - If you were to buy a laptop would you buy one that has no support or one that has support? - I do not count the shopping plaza technicians and old hacked laptops as support. Im talking certified factory support.
    @zulfiqar bhai: i know u never like hybrid but why r u spoiling the prius fans thread n this thread is only for those who have prius n share their experiences to other prius owner.....i m not saying u r wrong.....but u cant come here n start saying these hybrid r useless n give problem....i think u shud make the thread where u can talk bout hybrid problem n unsuccessful...peace

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

some answer from my side

1) 2nd gen Prius have same engine as toyota axio/premio/alion 1500cc but with cvt gearbox.....so the part of the engine is no problem
    2) arsh247 has explained pretty well....it charge by stopping or slowing down
    3) no u shudnt sell ur altis until indus motor or any other workshop comes up with prius maintenance workshop....the electrical n battery parts is hard to understand by our local mechanic so u need to wait for the proper maintenance workshop with trained mechanic

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Few questions

1. Will we be able to see 3rd gen Prius next year with some sensible price tags?
    2. How bad is its resale? Say someone imported it back in 2009/2010 and has sold after keeping it 2-3 years how much he had to lose?
    3. Any particular trim(s) (package/transmission) having bad resale?
    4. What are common problems local people keeping Prius have faced?
    http://www.facebook.com/PhotographyBlogs | http://www.facebook.com/pages/Digital-Music/100893450081351; lets create/learn some digital music today!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khurram_aziz View Post
    Few questions

1. Will we be able to see 3rd gen Prius next year with some sensible price tags?
    2. How bad is its resale? Say someone imported it back in 2009/2010 and has sold after keeping it 2-3 years how much he had to lose?
    3. Any particular trim(s) (package/transmission) having bad resale?
    4. What are common problems local people keeping Prius have faced?
    1) yes seen few of them here...rare coz of engine displacement increase to 1800cc thus more duty n less depreciate as the model was launch mid of 2009...so the price is sumwhere 27-34 lacs i think
    2) cant tell bout resale yet....only the time can tell....any used/recondition car have less resale value wen used 3 or 4 years compare to local made car
    3) transmission is same in every trims...theres different package not sure about resale differences
    4) i haven't heard any problem yet whom i know own the prius....just tht it shudnt be driven in flooded road....just wait for the prius owner to come up with problem

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@zulfiqar Why are so many Vitz Axio Premio Paso Belta bluebird accord ........... on the road?10 years ago who would have thought these car would be so popular?Were there any mechanics around than?No parts no resale nothing .Those people would have been branded fools improting such cars .
    Teen daba civics mehrans baleno were the only choice .And after 10 years Pakistan has become a big business for imported cars. Now Toyota offers service for all these cars and Prius is next .Same with honda and Suzuki .This car is becoming a common car Everyday i see more an more Prius on the road.So its only matter of days when Service and Spare parts become readily available for this car.Remember "Necessity is the mother of all inventions"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    And US is a country where you can go to any city with a toyota dealership and get your toyota serviced just like any big city. In Pakistan if you break down in Larkana you need to tow that Prius to Karachi without question.
    Disagree ! Even if Civic or City breaks down,one still has to tow the car to karachi from Larkana,that applies on Corolla Auto versions also.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 224 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

User Tag List