Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xulfiqar

Thread: All prius gen2 have bladder type fuel tank?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default All prius gen2 have bladder type fuel tank?

My question is does all gen 2 2004 till 2010 1.5 litre (nhw20) prii's have bladder type fuel tanks which can burst/damage if filled till the neck? In N.America its bladder type to be part of pzev vehicles. Rest of the world gets metal tanks??? Please help as I couldn't find my answer on Priuschat.com.

Thanks
    Ahmad

Sent from my GT-N7100 using PW Forums mobile app
    Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the reason not to top off fuel in all US cars is the charcoal canister breather gets submerged in liquid fuel and gets destroyed, It will cause blockage while filling up (you will have to fill fuel 1 glass worth at a time - you will have a 2 day beard once done) - it will create stupid vacuum leaks in the intake manifold of the engine (engine vacuum is applied to the tank to prevent evaporation). The leak will be due to the activated carbon particles getting sucked into the vacuum lines and blocking. It will also set Evap system error codes.

Hence all cars in the US have the warning of "do not top off"

Most cases of evap failure in the USA arrive to repair shop after they claim to have poured a litre or so of "fuel additive" - if they used an extended funnel that actually goes through the evap flap, this would not happen. They simply put it on the edge of the tank filler and tipped the bottle.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It's clear reharding U.S law requirement but my question stays where it was, that all the the Priis from 2004 to 2009 are equipped with bladder type tank? I think the European/jap model prius is equipped with a metal tank ....not?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using PW Forums mobile app
    Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes!

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List