Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Maintenance : Ravi Piaggio 125 vs Suzuki GS 150

Salam brothers,

I am new to this forum and would like some information about the two bikes (RP 125 & GS 150) mentioned in the title of this thread. I have explored and read almost all threads regarding these two bikes but couldn't still make up my mind regarding which bike to buy. So i need guidance from the experienced people here please. I have a few questions which i will put up and hope to get help with the solution soon. Here it goes :

1. Which of the above bikes has easy maintenace ( which means going to mechanics less and economically ) ?
    2. Which of the above bikes has the better engine in terms of performance, reliability and engine life (as i am planning to buy the bike for long term) ?
    3. Which of the above bikes has better fuel consumption ?
    4. Which of the above bikes is a better daily commuter ?
    5. And how much would it cost to replace the rear tyre of GS with a bigger one and install discs on the front (as i am tilted a little towards GS, so just want to know) ?

Your help and guidance in this regard will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alpha13 View Post
    1. Which of the above bikes has easy maintenace ( which means going to mechanics less and economically ) ?
    both would be 'elite' bikes in maintenance as both are the biggest machines available local bikes. so expect less ..
    GS spare parts are found only original so they are little expensive if we some to engine, paiggio has many spare parts resembling CG125 hence can be sourced cheap.

2. Which of the above bikes has the better engine in terms of performance, reliability and engine life (as i am planning to buy the bike for long term) ?
    I have used Piaggio in past .. Paiggio if used badly can go as long as less as 30k~ and easily go 50k and above in mileage to worn out engine to extent where it needs repair it took me 5 years to worn out a paiggio though ....... for GS150 ask @BlueHorn or malik sahab (PBC) hope fully they will coment here about there feed backs on GS150 ..

I have a very good fuel mileage from Paiggio al the time... as good as 55 also achieved many times.. but it averaged around 45!40 very easily.. where as company claims that it can go as good as 60+KM/L , again GS guys will let u know about GS150 mileage..

both are super good comuter for daily use, dont expect them to drag race.

5. And how much would it cost to replace the rear tyre of GS with a bigger one and install discs on the front (as i am tilted a little towards GS, so just want to know) ?
    Thats the worst thing which GS lacks badly .. it has no DIsc and its an expensive job again I will refer u to @BlueHorn he fitted disc and fat rims and fat tyre and all that stuff which I got for free in Paiggio...

as my friends who own GS150 have very good inputs for it .. GS is very good Daily comuter and it has a PLUS that it can be a very good touring bike incase you plan to go on long roads.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you very much vicky for your input and prompt response and hope the GS come into action quick too.

In maintenance what i meant was, less visit to the mechanic for repair/checking of one thing or the other as i don't want to waste my time with my bike in the service center. and also if the parts are easily available or do i have to visit frequently to get the required part replaced (i would not like to do that). It doesn't matter if its expensive or cheap as one is keeping a bike can most probably buy the parts too.

Thanks once again vicky. Your help really appreciated.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I never got it repaired other then punctures, oil changes, and Filter cleaning tuning routine jobs in the end I had to get clutch plates after 4 years.. so that legitimate becuase bike was dragged raced and toured on for 50000km lol ..

ALARM :If u r from lahore u will not face any issue of spare part but Its hard to source out of lahore.. so be aware..

Thank you very much vicky for your input and prompt response and hope the GS come into action quick too.

In maintenance what i meant was, less visit to the mechanic for repair/checking of one thing or the other as i don't want to waste my time with my bike in the service center. and also if the parts are easily available or do i have to visit frequently to get the required part replaced (i would not like to do that). It doesn't matter if its expensive or cheap as one is keeping a bike can most probably buy the parts too.

Thanks once again vicky. Your help really appreciated.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rulfat, @gull @BlueHorn @malikg115 I am taggin some very sound owners of GS150 they can give you true insight about it...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks once again vicky for your guidance. Really appreciate your help. I am from Rawalpindi, so i guess i might re-think about buying Ravi Piaggio at least because i don't want to end up waiting for a part to arrive from Lahore whereas my bike rests at home.

Thanks again.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

check for Ravi dealers in Rawalpindi at: Dealers Network | Ravi Motorcycles
    Asad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have visited Dealers in Rawalpindi in person.
    Thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I don't have any experience with RP125, so I cannot compare.

I bought GS150 in mid 2008, I haven't used it much(only over 20,000kms), as I don't have daily usage and mostly use it for out of town trips and I sometimes don't even start it for a couple of months. It stopped for the first time after four years due to an intermittent CDI unit and hasn't stopped since replacing it, so its reliable.

I haven't changed anything, except the rear view mirrors, I now use Suzuki Sprinter's original mirrors with position fixing screw. One of the front shock tubes was replaced under warranty, within 2 or 3 months of purchase.

For me tuning means a 250kms round trip to Rawalpindi. I only take it to M R Suzuki, the Suzuki showroom/service centre. I only use original parts, some call these parts expensive(imported parts generally are a bit expensive), but people don't compare these with imported/genuine parts for other brands, which are just as expensive. I had to replace the throttle cable and front brake lever and these were cheap. The CDI unit was expensive, almost Rs.4,000.

Since you will be using it for daily commute, I suggest you borrow it from someone and ride it on your regular daily route before making the decision. GS150 is not meant to zig-zag in crowded city traffic, its handling is different from 70cc to 125cc bikes.

The bike normally gives between 40 to 42 kms/litre for city riding and between 48 to 53 kms/litre on GT Road(Abbottabad - Lahore), depending on speed.

The rear tyre still has a little life left, at least for road trips. I never had any problem with road grip, the only two times it felt like skidding were immediately after service/brake pad replacement. I have seen most people over-inflating the tyres, losing traction and wearing off the treads within 5,000 to 8,000 kms.

I avoid over-speeding, so the drum brakes work just fine. Remember CD175, CD185, CD200 with top speeds reaching 140 kph and only drum brakes.
    Asad

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salam brothers,

I am new to this forum and would like some information about the two bikes (RP 125 & GS 150) mentioned in the title of this thread. I have explored and read almost all threads regarding these two bikes but couldn't still make up my mind regarding which bike to buy. So i need guidance from the experienced people here please. I have a few questions which i will put up and hope to get help with the solution soon. Here it goes :

It is normal for a gs150 to have its engine timing chain replaced at around 12000kms to 15000kms. Also expect a lot of small to medium issues in the first 3 months of buying the bike. So definitely new gs150 iis not worth the money. STAY AWAY from this bad quality item from Pak Suzuki.

Reliability of gs150 is a big question mark. So far I have not been able to complete one tour without issues. The older models were much better but the new ones have worse quality than chonda bikes.

I get around 32km/litre from my gs150. Piaggio gives a much better fuel economy of around 42km/l.

Inside city both are equally good. But remember that parts are rare even in Lahore for both bikes and can only be mostly sourced from Mclore Rd. Gs150 parts are getting harder to get than Ravis. Mostly original stuff is out of stock and you will either have to wait or get cheap quality china parts. Also, it is hard to get original timing chain for gs150 and this part hardly lasts 15000kms.

After spending quite a lot to get front disk, fuel gauge, bigger rear rim, fatter rear tyre and other items I have reached a conclusion that it is SIMPLY not worth it. You are better off buying a Piaggio which will last you longer than gs150 and also have all these items installed from the factory. Gs150 used to be a great bike but unfortunately Pak Suzuki has ruined it.

Your help and guidance in this regard will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance
    See my replies in red. P.s. I am assuming that you are looking to buy a brand new bike.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you very much for your guidance BlueHorn & asad01.
    Yes, you are right i intend to buy a new bike. I have visited Ravi Piaggio show rooms as well as Pak Suzuki Show rooms for the above bikes but could not decide between the two. I wanted to buy a bike which would give me enough power to go on mountains easily (as i love to go places) and also would make life easier for me in terms of its care.
    I found Ravi Piaggio better than GS 150 in all respects but the things which stopped me from buying it were :
    1. 125 vs 150 (less power)
    2. availability of spares ( i thought GS parts are easily available at suzuki service centers)

So, this made me tilt to GS 150 and i wanted to consult experienced people before going for the purchase which made me come here and ask for help ( as this is also going to be my first bike)

I still have one week to decide between the two and lets hope i decide what is better.

Thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would also like to ask 1 more thing. As vicky said Storm 125 has most parts similar to CG 125, so may i know which parts please ?
    and @asad01 can you tell me are the parts easily available at Suzuki service center ?
    Just for information. Thanks.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@alpha13 dost engine is very similar only body is sporty looks shape .. its has the same carb as of CG, Cluctch plates are same even rear sprocket is of CG then it is also a OHV engine same as CG but head is different and is a high compression engine..

secondly its not a low powered engine, GS150 is duely more powered but very little difference hardly a 1hp if I m not wrong and both perform closely the same while on road...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@vickytulla
    Thanks dost for your prompt response again. 1hp = 1 Horse Power
    Jokes apart. I think I have made up my mind a little now after a little research on the internet and in the market as well. I would really appreciate if you could tell me about what to look in a new bike when you go out and buy a new one. Need to check somethings or just have blind faith on the dealer about getting the bike ready.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
    secondly its not a low powered engine, GS150 is duely more powered but very little difference hardly a 1hp if I m not wrong and both perform closely the same while on road...
    Indeed. it is hardly a 1HP difference. Don't think GS will eat Piaggio on road just because it has 150 written on side tappa
    Piaggio is 126CC displacement while GS has 145CC. So exact difference is only 19CCs.
    Piaggio make it up a little with more compression ratio of 10.2:1, while GS has 9.2:1.
    GS is more bulkier/heavier than Piaggio.

So in the end GS has around 12BHP power while Piaggio has around 11BHP. But GS also has more weight to pull, so this power advantage almost balances out here.
    I would expect both bikes going toe to toe when pushed.

Now that leaves out
    Features: which obviously Piaggio is offering more than GS.
    Stability: which i think GS is better because of its heavier front and more overall weight.
    Riding position/pleasure: Piaggio offers high riding position, while GS has low riding height. This might be a point to consider for a person with low height. Then there is riding feel/pleasure, this is something depends on one's taste. You'll need to ride it to get the feel, no other way around it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yea Horse power, do remember with 1HP more you have to bare 4~5KG(or may be more not sure) of bikes own weight as well.. and this put -Ve impact on power to weight ratio and bike doesnt launches that well in lower RPMs (one of the major +point CG-powerplus has is power to weight ratio and it launches like bullet)

@vickytulla
    Thanks dost for your prompt response again. 1hp = 1 Horse Power
    Jokes apart. I think I have made up my mind a little now after a little research on the internet and in the market as well. I would really appreciate if you could tell me about what to look in a new bike when you go out and buy a new one. Need to check somethings or just have blind faith on the dealer about getting the bike ready.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@gull_s_777 & @vickytulla

Thanks for your help in determining the difference in power of the two engines. So basically what i have assessed is there is actually little difference between the performance of the two bikes and it depends on how one is planning to use.

Are good mechanics available in Rwp for Ravi piaggio ?
    here i have a question for vicky. Whats the meaning of tulla ? ( I hope you don't mind me, asking that )

Thanks for your help guys. Stay blessed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

to keep the username weird to hell was the intent and its some thing which people dont forget easily ..

in Punjabi "tulla" is a hit you make in "gullidanda" in which the opponents fielders fail to hit the "danda" back by the gulli. and when I was kid i was the best in that...

here i have a question for vicky. Whats the meaning of tulla ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHorn View Post
    See my replies in red. P.s. I am assuming that you are looking to buy a brand new bike.

Not all the things are written correct, i think he is a marketing person of RP ... RP is china no doubt and GS150 is Suzuki So the difference got clears Newbie ...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I dont know what blue horn has wriiten is correct or not becuase I dont own a GS150 accordint to me it is an equally good machine... paiggio on get edge in gadgets and sporty looks..

but brother he is one of the most famous hater of Ravi paiggio in the past... and if I see ur profile you just joined this year and you are pointing finger at a some one way older at pakwheels then you? he is actually talking from experience.. as he owns GS150 and has done 17000km of tours on it and has done few of the finest modification to it like putting a fuel gauge, putting a front disc, adding fat RIMs and fat tyres.... and in last tour which ended up in fatal accident was also on GS150 .... and I have personally rode his machine its super good machine and I know he knows GS150 way better then us.

Quote Originally Posted by dmszack View Post
    Not all the things are written correct, i think he is a marketing person of RP ... RP is china no doubt and GS150 is Suzuki So the difference got clears Newbie ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List