Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150

AoA Everybody.

I would request all Suzuki GS-150 owners to discuss typical performance issues with their bikes and how they resolved them. this way, we'll have a collection of information here for the benefit of newbies such as myself and hopefully, other bike owners will also profit from it.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic3 zps51edbf85

Following problems/issues has been identified so far:

1. Less than ideal performance of the ignition system
    2. High tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables.
    3. Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting.
    4. Faulty/Finicky fuse.

Poor performance of the ignition system:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic5 zps6f7688f3

The factory /EM coil provided with GS-150 is not up to mark. I replaced it with Honda Deluxe's ignition coil (DENSO) and the quality of the spark improved. then I installed a platinum spark plug (NKG CR8EGP) and instantly experienced better throttle response and stable idling. on top of all that the bike's cold starting ability also improved significantly.

Then I read an article where the author was recommending spark plug indexing in a bid to aim the open end of the spark plug's tip somewhere in between the intake and exhaust valve of the engine for better performance. BOY! it was some exercise but the results made it all the worth while. the throttle feels much lighter than before, the bikes accelerates better than before and the idling is as stable as the heart beat of a monk.

now someone might ask why not Iradium? well....contrary to popular belief, Iradiums do not offer any performance benefits over Platinums. they just offer increased/longer life. so why spend three times as much when you can get the same benefits from Platinum plugs?

high tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic4 zps2ae8ee70

I was getting kinda tired of casual breaking of the speedometer and RPM cables. I know one is supposed to lubricate them with WD40 but somehow I was never convinced that a simple CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant) would be good enough for the job. the problem with oil is that it eventually migrates from the place where it is applied. Then I stumbled upon this:

NASA Liquid Grease

Its a solvent based lithium grease packed in a pressurized container. which means that it can penetrate to the desire spot then solvent evaporates leaving behind a uniform film of lithium grease. pretty neat concept. I bought one and sprayed down the RPM and speedometer cables. I was instantly sold. Now I use it on clutch and throttle cables as well. Guess what? the Speedometer and RPM cables haven't broken since then and clutch and throttle stay lubricated longer.

Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic1 zps2f2cb105

Loud noise as it turned out was from rear drum as the drum rubber was not a tight fit. just for the sake of killing a few million brain cells solving this problem I approached a guy who makes custom drum rubbers and voila! no more sound and the gear shifting is now as smooth as silk. I don't know how it made the gear shifting smooth but it did. now shifting the gear up and down do not produce any jerk or noise.

Faulty/Finicky Fuse:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic8 zpsc9fdb1c3

The OEM ignition fuse provided with the bike is nothing more than an outdated piece of cheap contraption. I learned that the hard way. I was on my way (to nowhere) and the bike suddenly totally went dead on me. nothing would work. luckily, Suzuki Center was near and I took the bike there and it started without a hiccup. I moved on then one fine day it happened again. I took the bike to the same guys and the bike started again without any problem. then the mechanic told me that I should get the fuse replaced with a car fuse of equal ampere. I took the the bike to a car electrician who installed a proper car fuse and charged me just Rs. 100 (including the price of the fuse box and wiring) no trouble since then.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic9 zpsf4ade752

Anyhow, thats how I went about solving some of the issues with my bike. if you guys have identified any other issue and successfully resolved it, kindly do share with all of us.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Excellent post and solutions, as of coming from typical 12gauge reviews.
    Can you please elaborate abt Nasa Liquid Grease, price, availability , it does looks like a very useful product.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One more excellent thread by fellow 12gauge for the GS150
    great explanation of common problems in GS and their solutions

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yup another nice thread and full of information. The first point (the low quality coil) is really very disappointing. Again a symbol of bad quality. They are now charging almost near to Honda Deluxe and there is a huge difference of quality. Why should I need to replace the expensive coil after I have already paid a handsome amount.

Even I never had to change coil of my chinese 70 cc and the cables.

IS PAK-SUZUKI NOW PRODUCING EVEN KATCHRA BIKES THAN CHINESE??

I am very happy with my 2008 sprinter and I will never think to sell it and buy a current Pak-Suzuki katchra.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by asiftt View Post
    Excellent post and solutions, as of coming from typical 12gauge reviews.
    Can you please elaborate abt Nasa Liquid Grease, price, availability , it does looks like a very useful product.
    Bro, Nasa liquid grease is a light weight grease (lithium) in a solvent based carrier and stored in a pressurized can. the objective is that we can blast the grease to the area where we want it, it penetrates to the places in need of lubrication then the solvent evaporates leaving behind just grease.

compared to WD40, liquid grease is better in certain applications such as clutch cables, rpm and speedometer cables where regular oil would just migrate leaving everything bone dry. grease stays put a lot longer, in fact it hardly ever migrates. so we can have better lubrication.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by abdulrehmanrauf View Post
    Yup another nice thread and full of information. The first point (the low quality coil) is really very disappointing. Again a symbol of bad quality. They are now charging almost near to Honda Deluxe and there is a huge difference of quality. Why should I need to replace the expensive coil after I have already paid a handsome amount.

Even I never had to change coil of my chinese 70 cc and the cables.

IS PAK-SUZUKI NOW PRODUCING EVEN KATCHRA BIKES THAN CHINESE??

I am very happy with my 2008 sprinter and I will never think to sell it and buy a current Pak-Suzuki katchra.
    Bro, this is called cost-cutting. how else can a manufacturer stay competitive against an onslaught of low quality but highly competitively priced Chinese bikes?

I am afraid, every manufacturer these days is doing just the thing.

Regards,

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

But GS-150 is not selling on a cheap price. After paying 1 lac 15 thousands, we are getting this. It would be much better to get an old model (with chasis in good condition) in cheap price and restore it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by 12gauge View Post
    Bro, this is called cost-cutting. how else can a manufacturer stay competitive against an onslaught of low quality but highly competitively priced Chinese bikes?

I am afraid, every manufacturer these days is doing just the thing.

Regards,

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by abdulrehmanrauf View Post
    But GS-150 is not selling on a cheap price. After paying 1 lac 15 thousands, we are getting this. It would be much better to get an old model (with chasis in good condition) in cheap price and restore it completely.
    you could be right there bro.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Members tell me when you are riding bike at exact 100 kmph (on bike meter not mobile gps) what's the rpm needle showing i.e how many revolutions.

anc
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Self explanatory article....Job well done 12Gauge....can u tell us where did you buy the NASA liquid grease and for how much...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahsan95 View Post
    Members tell me when you are riding bike at exact 100 kmph (on bike meter not mobile gps) what's the rpm needle showing i.e how many revolutions.
    well....I have ridden a couple of GS-150's as quiet a few of my colleagues got 'em together. in my humble opinion, if you are traveling at a speed of 100km/h on a stock bike and on a straight road, your RPM should be somewhere between 8,500 to 9,000. however you must understand that its a mechanical measurement which can be off by as much as 1,000rpm.

you can also test this theory by lubricating your rpm cable and speedometer cables. the moment they are freshly lubricated, they always over-shoot the actual figure. the measurement returns to normal once it gets rid of excess lubrication.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by anc View Post
    Self explanatory article....Job well done 12Gauge....can u tell us where did you buy the NASA liquid grease and for how much...
    Bro I got it from NASA dealer/retailer and distributor in Gawalmandi-RWP. the shop is opposite Kiyani Autos in Gawalmandi. I don't know the exact name of the shop unfortunately. I was just walking around looking for different products and stumbled upon it accidentally.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

salam tariq sahab @12guage and all my pakwheels brothers

the issues mentioned by tariq sahab are very relevant and the solutions offered very practical
    however, let me clarify here that while some issues in gs150 are universal, others are individual. in no way are we trying to suggest not to go for this bike in case u are deciding to buy one
    for instance, poor ignition performance,loud noise from rear wheel, less than idle gear shifting and faulty fuse are issues that i never faced myself in the last 3 years.
    however, its good that u mentioned them for the convenience of others in case they do.
    the clutch cable, rpm cable and speedometer cable breaking issue is universal though

here are 2 other universal issues from my side with their solutions

1. Flying tappa issue
    I learnt this one the hard (and expensive way). many senior members reported that your side tappas tend to fall off easily, but i never took this serious until i one day found my right side tappa missing after a long drive
    Bought a new one for Rs.800 from showroom and started looking for a solution. some memeber have suggested using wires,cables and nut/bolts to secure the plastic locks, but personally, i dont like that idea.
    not only are u loosing the clean look, but your frequent battery checks and air-filter checks become more time consuming

Solution:
    the real problem is dried rubber washers, as highlighted by red circles below
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337532Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337533
    Buy new rubber washers from any honda shop, and ask for honda cd100 ones.(cost around Rs. 10 per piece)
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337783Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337784
    they are a very tight fit. u might even damage one or two while fitting, but once done, try installing the plastic tappa back.u will instantly feel that your tappa has been tightly secured
    One MUST REMEMBER to check the rubbers every 4-6 months for dryness. if u feel them dried or loosened, replace. its a good practice to keep extra rubbers at home

2. Headlight focus issue
    now this is a major problem. the headlight's reflector throws the light everywhere expect where u want it to be, that is, the front
    i checked the suzuki dealership for a new piece, but the quality was pretty bad. honda 100 and ravi piaggio's stock reflector assemblies are bolt-on fits, but only provide minor improvements

Solution
    i remember my dad's old yamaha 80 used to have an excellent focus. the reason was metallic reflector and hard glass instead of plastic reflector and plexiglass
    here is what i bought(first 4 pics are from @basic, while rest are mine). it is the best quality product available that resembles stock gs150's headlight, and provides amazing results. Cost is Rs.2000 for the headlight, and Rs. 1000 for extra wires, relays(cut-outs) and labour
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337534Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337535Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337536Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337537

here are the results at night time

LOW BEAM
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337543Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337544

HIGH BEAM(turns night into day)
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337545Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337546
    This light is not HID, and hence not a nuisance for on-coming traffic
    Also, the bulb is 55 watt, so practically therez no real load on the rectifier or the battery

Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i still don't understand why people still prefer acid battery instead of sealed type maintenance free type.
    using maintenance free battery relax u from battery side and no damage is done to frame or battery stand by using them bike looks clean and as a matter afact they last longer than normal acid batteries.

we have installed original osram h4 55/60w type bulb in both gs150 ( plastic reflector casing ) & cd185 twin ( metal reflector casing) results are almost identical but better than normal bulb. it was DIY at home with ease.

side covers tend to fly without any doubt and without any lock they are easy target for getting stole, many owners have found different way of securing them and i believe all of them works fine.
    Help others so that u can be Helped

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dr.omair View Post
    the issues mentioned by tariq sahab are very relevant and the solutions offered very practical
    however, let me clarify here that while some issues in gs150 are universal, others are individual. in no way are we trying to suggest not to go for this bike in case u are deciding to buy one
    for instance, poor ignition performance,loud noise from rear wheel, less than idle gear shifting and faulty fuse are issues that i never faced myself in the last 3 years.
    however, its good that u mentioned them for the convenience of others in case they do.
    the clutch cable, rpm cable and speedometer cable breaking issue is universal though
    Excellent post Dr. Sahib and you are very right the purpose of this thread is not to demean Suzuki GS-150 in any way. The aim here is to create a bank/collection of all known problems/issues and their solutions so that perspective GS-150 owners and others may also benefit from them.

1. Flying tappa issue
    I learnt this one the hard (and expensive way). many senior members reported that your side tappas tend to fall off easily, but i never took this serious until i one day found my right side tappa missing after a long drive
    Bought a new one for Rs.800 from showroom and started looking for a solution. some memeber have suggested using wires,cables and nut/bolts to secure the plastic locks, but personally, i dont like that idea.
    not only are u loosing the clean look, but your frequent battery checks and air-filter checks become more time consuming

Solution:
    the real problem is dried rubber washers, as highlighted by red circles below
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337532Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337533
    Buy new rubber washers from any honda shop, and ask for honda cd100 ones.(cost around Rs. 10 per piece)
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337783Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337784
    they are a very tight fit. u might even damage one or two while fitting, but once done, try installing the plastic tappa back.u will instantly feel that your tappa has been tightly secured
    One MUST REMEMBER to check the rubbers every 4-6 months for dryness. if u feel them dried or loosened, replace. its a good practice to keep extra rubbers at home
    I have tried this solution as per your advise quiet a while back and it works beautifully. Some say that we should use a cable tie to secure them in place but that solution is just too ugly.

2. Headlight focus issue
    now this is a major problem. the headlight's reflector throws the light everywhere expect where u want it to be, that is, the front
    i checked the suzuki dealership for a new piece, but the quality was pretty bad. honda 100 and ravi piaggio's stock reflector assemblies are bolt-on fits, but only provide minor improvements

Solution
    i remember my dad's old yamaha 80 used to have an excellent focus. the reason was metallic reflector and hard glass instead of plastic reflector and plexiglass
    here is what i bought(first 4 pics are from @basic, while rest are mine). it is the best quality product available that resembles stock gs150's headlight, and provides amazing results. Cost is Rs.2000 for the headlight, and Rs. 1000 for extra wires, relays(cut-outs) and labour
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337534Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337535Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337536Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337537

here are the results at night time

LOW BEAM
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337543Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337544

HIGH BEAM(turns night into day)
    Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337545Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1337546
    This light is not HID, and hence not a nuisance for on-coming traffic
    Also, the bulb is 55 watt, so practically therez no real load on the rectifier or the battery

Regards
    Bro, thats a pretty impressive looking solution. can you kindly share with us the source for this item cause I am very much interested in trying out this solution.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Experienced members should also discuss/share their views on how to get better fuel average in gs150.
    Such as driving habits. People like me just love to twist the throttle and see the magic again and again while we tend to forget how much fuel is consumed in displaying that magic.
    Hard braking also results in lot of energy being used up so one should brake slowly and be precise so that fuel does not go wasted.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by archon2001 View Post
    i still don't understand why people still prefer acid battery instead of sealed type maintenance free type.
    using maintenance free battery relax u from battery side and no damage is done to frame or battery stand by using them bike looks clean and as a matter afact they last longer than normal acid batteries.
    u r right here. the acid battery does damage your frame's paint in the long run. the reason u saw an acid battery in my gs150 is because its stock, and even after 3 years of use, it has refused to give up so far. i have a hunch it might reach its end next season, and inshaAllaah then i will definitely go for maintenance free one

Quote Originally Posted by archon2001 View Post
    we have installed original osram h4 55/60w type bulb in both gs150 ( plastic reflector casing ) & cd185 twin ( metal reflector casing) results are almost identical but better than normal bulb. it was DIY at home with ease
    installing a larger bulb in the stock reflector will give u a brighter light no doubt, but would continue to give u the same lousy focus. u can check my headlight's low beam's focus in the pics above to get an idea

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 12gauge View Post
    Bro, thats a pretty impressive looking solution. can you kindly share with us the source for this item cause I am very much interested in trying out this solution
    Mr. Yousaf
    Yousaf Autos,
    Narwala Road, Opposite Nadir/Rahbar bus stand, Faisalabad
    Cell : 0322-6000600
    LL : 041-2621124

this is where i sourced the headlight from. the information was posted by @basic in his thread. since i live in lahore, i had to call my father-in-law who had it parceled to me

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahsan95 View Post
    Experienced members should also discuss/share their views on how to get better fuel average in gs150.
    Such as driving habits. People like me just love to twist the throttle and see the magic again and again while we tend to forget how much fuel is consumed in displaying that magic.
    Hard braking also results in lot of energy being used up so one should brake slowly and be precise so that fuel does not go wasted.
    my bike's fuel average varies from as low as 37 km/l when i go hard on throttle or drive in serious jams, to 41-43 km/l under normal conditions

to get best average, try following this routine
    1st gear = 2500 rpms
    2nd gear = 3500 rpms
    3rd gear = 4500 rpms
    4th gear = 5500 rpms
    5 gear = upto 5500 rpms (will take u to speed btween 65-70). Dont go faster than that

practice above routine for a few days, and get used to the engine/muffler sounds to decide when to shift, instead of always looking at your rpm meter. i have adapted this technique from my early days. also, avoid quick acceleration and hard braking. not only will u enjoy a smooth, relaxed and comfortable ride, u will achieve a good mileage from your big machine

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

u r right here. the acid battery does damage your frame's paint in the long run. the reason u saw an acid battery in my gs150 is because its stock, and even after 3 years of use, it has refused to give up so far. i have a hunch it might reach its end next season, and inshaAllaah then i will definitely go for maintenance free one

installing a larger bulb in the stock reflector will give u a brighter light no doubt, but would continue to give u the same lousy focus. u can check my headlight's low beam's focus in the pics above to get an idea
    i am really not good with camera otherwise would have share the focus result of osram h4 bulb with high & low beam.
    as i said stock casings of cd185 and gs150 both have excellent focus on road with larger area coverage.
    yr ride beam is good too.

kind regards
    Help others so that u can be Helped

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List