Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150

AoA Everybody.

I would request all Suzuki GS-150 owners to discuss typical performance issues with their bikes and how they resolved them. this way, we'll have a collection of information here for the benefit of newbies such as myself and hopefully, other bike owners will also profit from it.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic3 zps51edbf85

Following problems/issues has been identified so far:

1. Less than ideal performance of the ignition system
    2. High tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables.
    3. Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting.
    4. Faulty/Finicky fuse.

Poor performance of the ignition system:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic5 zps6f7688f3

The factory /EM coil provided with GS-150 is not up to mark. I replaced it with Honda Deluxe's ignition coil (DENSO) and the quality of the spark improved. then I installed a platinum spark plug (NKG CR8EGP) and instantly experienced better throttle response and stable idling. on top of all that the bike's cold starting ability also improved significantly.

Then I read an article where the author was recommending spark plug indexing in a bid to aim the open end of the spark plug's tip somewhere in between the intake and exhaust valve of the engine for better performance. BOY! it was some exercise but the results made it all the worth while. the throttle feels much lighter than before, the bikes accelerates better than before and the idling is as stable as the heart beat of a monk.

now someone might ask why not Iradium? well....contrary to popular belief, Iradiums do not offer any performance benefits over Platinums. they just offer increased/longer life. so why spend three times as much when you can get the same benefits from Platinum plugs?

high tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic4 zps2ae8ee70

I was getting kinda tired of casual breaking of the speedometer and RPM cables. I know one is supposed to lubricate them with WD40 but somehow I was never convinced that a simple CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant) would be good enough for the job. the problem with oil is that it eventually migrates from the place where it is applied. Then I stumbled upon this:

NASA Liquid Grease

Its a solvent based lithium grease packed in a pressurized container. which means that it can penetrate to the desire spot then solvent evaporates leaving behind a uniform film of lithium grease. pretty neat concept. I bought one and sprayed down the RPM and speedometer cables. I was instantly sold. Now I use it on clutch and throttle cables as well. Guess what? the Speedometer and RPM cables haven't broken since then and clutch and throttle stay lubricated longer.

Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic1 zps2f2cb105

Loud noise as it turned out was from rear drum as the drum rubber was not a tight fit. just for the sake of killing a few million brain cells solving this problem I approached a guy who makes custom drum rubbers and voila! no more sound and the gear shifting is now as smooth as silk. I don't know how it made the gear shifting smooth but it did. now shifting the gear up and down do not produce any jerk or noise.

Faulty/Finicky Fuse:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic8 zpsc9fdb1c3

The OEM ignition fuse provided with the bike is nothing more than an outdated piece of cheap contraption. I learned that the hard way. I was on my way (to nowhere) and the bike suddenly totally went dead on me. nothing would work. luckily, Suzuki Center was near and I took the bike there and it started without a hiccup. I moved on then one fine day it happened again. I took the bike to the same guys and the bike started again without any problem. then the mechanic told me that I should get the fuse replaced with a car fuse of equal ampere. I took the the bike to a car electrician who installed a proper car fuse and charged me just Rs. 100 (including the price of the fuse box and wiring) no trouble since then.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic9 zpsf4ade752

Anyhow, thats how I went about solving some of the issues with my bike. if you guys have identified any other issue and successfully resolved it, kindly do share with all of us.

Regards.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by emransaleem View Post
    @ 12guage plz help me out i dont know any thing about bikes .m a new driver, i m facing these problem specially annoying sound during gear change
    Change the rear drum rubber.
    4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am 4rm rwp can u send me ur cntct no ? I want to meet u for guideline about some problems plz?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Plz
    Send me ur cntct no n adreess of that shop from where u changed ur drum rubbers..

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

12guage...... I really like your [post and more than that I like your bike. You have done a good job by adding the screen, helmet case and side boxes. I too am planning to buy GS150 and yours has really motivated me. I would like to know from where did you buy these accessories. You can email me details (please) juno.pk@gmail.com. I will highly appreciate.
    Junaid
    0300-844-6000

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Suzuki GS 150

Quote Originally Posted by 12gauge View Post
    AoA Everybody.

I would request all Suzuki GS-150 owners to discuss typical performance issues with their bikes and how they resolved them. this way, we'll have a collection of information here for the benefit of newbies such as myself and hopefully, other bike owners will also profit from it.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic3 zps51edbf85

Following problems/issues has been identified so far:

1. Less than ideal performance of the ignition system
    2. High tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables.
    3. Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting.
    4. Faulty/Finicky fuse.

Poor performance of the ignition system:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic5 zps6f7688f3

The factory /EM coil provided with GS-150 is not up to mark. I replaced it with Honda Deluxe's ignition coil (DENSO) and the quality of the spark improved. then I installed a platinum spark plug (NKG CR8EGP) and instantly experienced better throttle response and stable idling. on top of all that the bike's cold starting ability also improved significantly.

Then I read an article where the author was recommending spark plug indexing in a bid to aim the open end of the spark plug's tip somewhere in between the intake and exhaust valve of the engine for better performance. BOY! it was some exercise but the results made it all the worth while. the throttle feels much lighter than before, the bikes accelerates better than before and the idling is as stable as the heart beat of a monk.

now someone might ask why not Iradium? well....contrary to popular belief, Iradiums do not offer any performance benefits over Platinums. they just offer increased/longer life. so why spend three times as much when you can get the same benefits from Platinum plugs?

high tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic4 zps2ae8ee70

I was getting kinda tired of casual breaking of the speedometer and RPM cables. I know one is supposed to lubricate them with WD40 but somehow I was never convinced that a simple CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant) would be good enough for the job. the problem with oil is that it eventually migrates from the place where it is applied. Then I stumbled upon this:

NASA Liquid Grease

Its a solvent based lithium grease packed in a pressurized container. which means that it can penetrate to the desire spot then solvent evaporates leaving behind a uniform film of lithium grease. pretty neat concept. I bought one and sprayed down the RPM and speedometer cables. I was instantly sold. Now I use it on clutch and throttle cables as well. Guess what? the Speedometer and RPM cables haven't broken since then and clutch and throttle stay lubricated longer.

Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic1 zps2f2cb105

Loud noise as it turned out was from rear drum as the drum rubber was not a tight fit. just for the sake of killing a few million brain cells solving this problem I approached a guy who makes custom drum rubbers and voila! no more sound and the gear shifting is now as smooth as silk. I don't know how it made the gear shifting smooth but it did. now shifting the gear up and down do not produce any jerk or noise.

Faulty/Finicky Fuse:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic8 zpsc9fdb1c3

The OEM ignition fuse provided with the bike is nothing more than an outdated piece of cheap contraption. I learned that the hard way. I was on my way (to nowhere) and the bike suddenly totally went dead on me. nothing would work. luckily, Suzuki Center was near and I took the bike there and it started without a hiccup. I moved on then one fine day it happened again. I took the bike to the same guys and the bike started again without any problem. then the mechanic told me that I should get the fuse replaced with a car fuse of equal ampere. I took the the bike to a car electrician who installed a proper car fuse and charged me just Rs. 100 (including the price of the fuse box and wiring) no trouble since then.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic9 zpsf4ade752

Anyhow, thats how I went about solving some of the issues with my bike. if you guys have identified any other issue and successfully resolved it, kindly do share with all of us.

Regards.
    Thanks for your valuable comments.
    i have recently purchased this bike in Karachi. you are very right for all issued mentioned. i have already replaced rear tyre.
    i would like to change following parts, and need valuable suggestions, preferably shop address/contact info at karachi.
    1- head light improvement.
    2- side covers security.
    3- Installation of disc break.
    4- removal of "tuk" sound from rear Tyre.
    5- coil+plug+fuse suggestion.

many thanks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AoA Everybody

Guess what are these and what for?

Regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AoA Everybody

Guess what are these and what for?

Regards.
    Sprockets?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SyedMoazzam View Post
    Sprockets?
    a bit more detail buddy.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hhha
    simple answer.... if u wana detail then update your question please

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nice threead @12gauge !
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For more acceleration??
    4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what a killjoy.

anyways, these are rear sprockets for Suzuki GS-150. one is larger than stock whereas the other is smaller than stock. These were imported to mess around with the bike's gearing ratio in a bid to increase riding pleasure.

Regards.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

what a killjoy.

anyways, these are rear sprockets for Suzuki GS-150. one is larger than stock whereas the other is smaller than stock. These were imported to mess around with the bike's gearing ratio in a bid to increase riding pleasure.

Regards.
    hahaha the only pleasure you will get by installing that small one will be wheelies and more wheelies

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hahaha the only pleasure you will get by installing that small one will be wheelies and more wheelies
    Bro, I think you got it wrong. the smaller rear sprocket is supposed to increase the gearing ratio hence, reduce acceleration and increase top speed.

in other words, at any given level of RPM, it should increase the top speed OR at any given level of speed, it should reduce the RPM when compared to stock setting. if my guesstimation is correct then it should make the ride quieter and more comfortable.

The bigger rear sprocket is supposed to do just the opposite. it should reduce gearing ratio hence increase acceleration (pick) at the cost of lowering top speed. however this sprocket will come in handy when going uphill as it will reduce the engine load in lower gears.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

From where i can get that Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1350898
    how much does it cost ??
    Can i install that back BOX on my Suzuki Raider ???

~ Don't run behind success, run behind excellence, and success will run behind you. ~

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by spiritpk View Post
    From where i can get that Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1350898
    how much does it cost ??
    Can i install that back BOX on my Suzuki Raider ???
    Bro, It can be installed but I think this box will be a little too big for the Raider.

Regards.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro, I think you got it wrong. the smaller rear sprocket is supposed to increase the gearing ratio hence, reduce acceleration and increase top speed.

in other words, at any given level of RPM, it should increase the top speed OR at any given level of speed, it should reduce the RPM when compared to stock setting. if my guesstimation is correct then it should make the ride quieter and more comfortable.

The bigger rear sprocket is supposed to do just the opposite. it should reduce gearing ratio hence increase acceleration (pick) at the cost of lowering top speed. however this sprocket will come in handy when going uphill as it will reduce the engine load in lower gears.

Regards.
    Ok thanks for the knowledge

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok thanks for the knowledge
    you are most welcome brother.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahsan95 View Post
    A small issue in my bike (Suzuki GS150)
    Bike has clocked 1700 km. While driving at a constant speed say 40kmph or 50kmph bike 'jhatke marte hai'. I am not doing anything with the throttle it just happens automatically. It's just like when you are running very low on fuel which is not the case coz bike has plenty of it.
    Engine oil is due for change at 2k mark along with tuning. Will tuning and changing the oil resolve the problem or some other work is required?
    Currently using Total 20w40 engine oil.
    Kindly leave suggestions as to what can be done. Thanks.

Bro, the fuel you're using aint right... It happened to me when i bought my first gs in '05... I used the fuel additive which solved the problem... the other way around the problem is to get ur byk filled at either Total or Caltex... these brands are BETTER (not best) than the others esp PSO.

N i'd go for 10w (or even 0w)-50, cuz summers are just here so go for a good heat bearing multigrade... rest be cool, the machine is A-awsome

Peace
    Don't sell your self that much that people stop buying you

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers