Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150

AoA Everybody.

I would request all Suzuki GS-150 owners to discuss typical performance issues with their bikes and how they resolved them. this way, we'll have a collection of information here for the benefit of newbies such as myself and hopefully, other bike owners will also profit from it.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic3 zps51edbf85

Following problems/issues has been identified so far:

1. Less than ideal performance of the ignition system
    2. High tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables.
    3. Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting.
    4. Faulty/Finicky fuse.

Poor performance of the ignition system:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic5 zps6f7688f3

The factory /EM coil provided with GS-150 is not up to mark. I replaced it with Honda Deluxe's ignition coil (DENSO) and the quality of the spark improved. then I installed a platinum spark plug (NKG CR8EGP) and instantly experienced better throttle response and stable idling. on top of all that the bike's cold starting ability also improved significantly.

Then I read an article where the author was recommending spark plug indexing in a bid to aim the open end of the spark plug's tip somewhere in between the intake and exhaust valve of the engine for better performance. BOY! it was some exercise but the results made it all the worth while. the throttle feels much lighter than before, the bikes accelerates better than before and the idling is as stable as the heart beat of a monk.

now someone might ask why not Iradium? well....contrary to popular belief, Iradiums do not offer any performance benefits over Platinums. they just offer increased/longer life. so why spend three times as much when you can get the same benefits from Platinum plugs?

high tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic4 zps2ae8ee70

I was getting kinda tired of casual breaking of the speedometer and RPM cables. I know one is supposed to lubricate them with WD40 but somehow I was never convinced that a simple CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant) would be good enough for the job. the problem with oil is that it eventually migrates from the place where it is applied. Then I stumbled upon this:

NASA Liquid Grease

Its a solvent based lithium grease packed in a pressurized container. which means that it can penetrate to the desire spot then solvent evaporates leaving behind a uniform film of lithium grease. pretty neat concept. I bought one and sprayed down the RPM and speedometer cables. I was instantly sold. Now I use it on clutch and throttle cables as well. Guess what? the Speedometer and RPM cables haven't broken since then and clutch and throttle stay lubricated longer.

Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic1 zps2f2cb105

Loud noise as it turned out was from rear drum as the drum rubber was not a tight fit. just for the sake of killing a few million brain cells solving this problem I approached a guy who makes custom drum rubbers and voila! no more sound and the gear shifting is now as smooth as silk. I don't know how it made the gear shifting smooth but it did. now shifting the gear up and down do not produce any jerk or noise.

Faulty/Finicky Fuse:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic8 zpsc9fdb1c3

The OEM ignition fuse provided with the bike is nothing more than an outdated piece of cheap contraption. I learned that the hard way. I was on my way (to nowhere) and the bike suddenly totally went dead on me. nothing would work. luckily, Suzuki Center was near and I took the bike there and it started without a hiccup. I moved on then one fine day it happened again. I took the bike to the same guys and the bike started again without any problem. then the mechanic told me that I should get the fuse replaced with a car fuse of equal ampere. I took the the bike to a car electrician who installed a proper car fuse and charged me just Rs. 100 (including the price of the fuse box and wiring) no trouble since then.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic9 zpsf4ade752

Anyhow, thats how I went about solving some of the issues with my bike. if you guys have identified any other issue and successfully resolved it, kindly do share with all of us.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@12gauge you mentioned about the poor performance of OEM ignition coil. I fear the have the same issue in my GS aswell (No stable idling in cold state, lot of misfires in mid-rev range) As far as i can see there are two set of coils in the bike:
    1) Big cylindrical coil just besides the battery
    2) A smaller coil right beneath the fuel tank
    My question here is that which coil needs to be replaced to eradicate the issue? and is there any way to ensure that this the right solution for my problem?
    P.S. i have tried everything else: tune up, oil & filters change, replacing spark plug with platinum ones, messing with carbos air fuel mixture

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fanno__ View Post
    @12gauge you mentioned about the poor performance of OEM ignition coil. I fear the have the same issue in my GS aswell (No stable idling in cold state, lot of misfires in mid-rev range) As far as i can see there are two set of coils in the bike:
    1) Big cylindrical coil just besides the battery
    2) A smaller coil right beneath the fuel tank
    My question here is that which coil needs to be replaced to eradicate the issue? and is there any way to ensure that this the right solution for my problem?
    P.S. i have tried everything else: tune up, oil & filters change, replacing spark plug with platinum ones, messing with carbos air fuel mixture
    Bro, there is only one ignition coil in GS. its under the fuel tank. the one next to battery is not an ignition coil. I could be wrong but it looks like a relay for the starter motor.

Regards.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Got ym brake shoes for my gs rear drum Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - a4evygem

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

R they good??
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafin619 View Post
    Got ym brake shoes for my gs rear drum Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - a4evygem

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by surplusstock View Post
    R they good??
    My friend said that they are better than original suzuki brake shoes. Will give my feedback after using them.
    4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 12gauge View Post
    AoA Everybody.

I would request all Suzuki GS-150 owners to discuss typical performance issues with their bikes and how they resolved them. this way, we'll have a collection of information here for the benefit of newbies such as myself and hopefully, other bike owners will also profit from it.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic3 zps51edbf85

Following problems/issues has been identified so far:

1. Less than ideal performance of the ignition system
    2. High tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables.
    3. Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting.
    4. Faulty/Finicky fuse.

Poor performance of the ignition system:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic5 zps6f7688f3

The factory /EM coil provided with GS-150 is not up to mark. I replaced it with Honda Deluxe's ignition coil (DENSO) and the quality of the spark improved. then I installed a platinum spark plug (NKG CR8EGP) and instantly experienced better throttle response and stable idling. on top of all that the bike's cold starting ability also improved significantly.

Then I read an article where the author was recommending spark plug indexing in a bid to aim the open end of the spark plug's tip somewhere in between the intake and exhaust valve of the engine for better performance. BOY! it was some exercise but the results made it all the worth while. the throttle feels much lighter than before, the bikes accelerates better than before and the idling is as stable as the heart beat of a monk.

now someone might ask why not Iradium? well....contrary to popular belief, Iradiums do not offer any performance benefits over Platinums. they just offer increased/longer life. so why spend three times as much when you can get the same benefits from Platinum plugs?

high tendency of the bike to break speedometer and rpm cables:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic4 zps2ae8ee70

I was getting kinda tired of casual breaking of the speedometer and RPM cables. I know one is supposed to lubricate them with WD40 but somehow I was never convinced that a simple CLP (cleaner, lubricant, protectant) would be good enough for the job. the problem with oil is that it eventually migrates from the place where it is applied. Then I stumbled upon this:

NASA Liquid Grease

Its a solvent based lithium grease packed in a pressurized container. which means that it can penetrate to the desire spot then solvent evaporates leaving behind a uniform film of lithium grease. pretty neat concept. I bought one and sprayed down the RPM and speedometer cables. I was instantly sold. Now I use it on clutch and throttle cables as well. Guess what? the Speedometer and RPM cables haven't broken since then and clutch and throttle stay lubricated longer.

Loud (Tuck!) noise from rear wheel and less than ideal gear shifting:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic1 zps2f2cb105

Loud noise as it turned out was from rear drum as the drum rubber was not a tight fit. just for the sake of killing a few million brain cells solving this problem I approached a guy who makes custom drum rubbers and voila! no more sound and the gear shifting is now as smooth as silk. I don't know how it made the gear shifting smooth but it did. now shifting the gear up and down do not produce any jerk or noise.

Faulty/Finicky Fuse:

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic8 zpsc9fdb1c3

The OEM ignition fuse provided with the bike is nothing more than an outdated piece of cheap contraption. I learned that the hard way. I was on my way (to nowhere) and the bike suddenly totally went dead on me. nothing would work. luckily, Suzuki Center was near and I took the bike there and it started without a hiccup. I moved on then one fine day it happened again. I took the bike to the same guys and the bike started again without any problem. then the mechanic told me that I should get the fuse replaced with a car fuse of equal ampere. I took the the bike to a car electrician who installed a proper car fuse and charged me just Rs. 100 (including the price of the fuse box and wiring) no trouble since then.

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS-150 - Pic9 zpsf4ade752

Anyhow, thats how I went about solving some of the issues with my bike. if you guys have identified any other issue and successfully resolved it, kindly do share with all of us.

Regards.
    can you please share some information about that custom drum rubber maker?
    Yup, best feeling in the world: Having the wind in your face and your Buds riding with you!!!! Priceless!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by syed_humdani View Post
    can you please share some information about that custom drum rubber maker?
    Buddy you need to visit tyre market in raja bazaar. There is a guy there known as Billa. He makes custom rubbers for drums.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks dude that was some very useful information.
    Yup, best feeling in the world: Having the wind in your face and your Buds riding with you!!!! Priceless!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello,

I am waiting your feedback as i also own GS150.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafin619 View Post
    My friend said that they are better than original suzuki brake shoes. Will give my feedback after using them.
    ALWAYS BE POSITIVE

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother which brake shoe you recommend for GS 150.
    Buddy you need to visit tyre market in raja bazaar. There is a guy there known as Billa. He makes custom rubbers for drums.

Regards.
    ALWAYS BE POSITIVE

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Best Brake Shoes are Custom Made Black Leather Brake Shoes which lasts till 3 Months on daily 25KMs Usage.
    Dying seems less sad than having lived too little.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I want something to improve braking.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmszack View Post
    Best Brake Shoes are Custom Made Black Leather Brake Shoes which lasts till 3 Months on daily 25KMs Usage.
    ALWAYS BE POSITIVE

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Regards.
    Near by landmark???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by celica View Post
    Brother which brake shoe you recommend for GS 150.
    Bro, I can only recommend OEM Suzuki brake shoes cause cheaper and no-name brands often contains asbestos in them which is a serious health hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by tucknoloji View Post
    Near by landmark???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Hard to say but the tyre market was pretty close to Thana Ghanj Mandi (Ganj Mandi Police station).

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just got gs 150....and change its rear tyre to tvs 100.90.18 n really better .....the grip n braking got improved ....really satisfied.......my stock tyre for 1000 and the new broad tyre for 3300...

Sent from my SM-N900 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yonaib View Post
    Just got gs 150....and change its rear tyre to tvs 100.90.18 n really better .....the grip n braking got improved ....really satisfied.......my stock tyre for 1000 and the new broad tyre for 3300...

Sent from my SM-N900 using PW Forums mobile app
    congrats. do share pics of your bike but on a new thread
    people need to grow up sometimes and act MATURE !

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default help needed from you sir

I want to know which bike's front end you used and where can it be found in Rawalpindi.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

which companies shoe are these.?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello,

I recently purchased gs 150 (2014). I am facing serious issues. On 2nd day, my bike's piston got seized. However, company replaced the cylinder and piston in warranty. It was really disappointing. Now, I am facing missing issue... Everyday I start my bike it starts on single click but as soon as I start giving accelerator it starts missing and after 5000rpm missing is gone. I can feel that issue from 1000 to 4000 rpm and above those Rpm's it clear. Went to dealers and they say that it will be okay with the passage of time.. Please help me out.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Improving the Performance of you Suzuki GS150 -1471376