Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Suzuki vx800 semi restoration (one of a kind , rare bike )

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cool Suzuki vx800 semi restoration (one of a kind , rare bike )

]Salam brothers . i recently purchased a suzuki vx800 4 months back MashAllah. It was produced from 1990 to 1997 only . its one of the rarest suzukis of the modren era due to its limited production scale . It originally was in chrome and red color but the previous owner neglected this beauty and for some reason painted this bike black and removed the chrome -_- . it had a few problems but was too good to let go

just over a week ago as dad got free from work and stuff finally . we decided it was time to start it and after several tries and charging the battery we managed to get it started . How ever being an old mechanic my dad instantly noticed that something was wrong , the master cylinder was giving an odd noise , he concluded it was the tapet .

how ever after shutting it off , we couldnt start it again even after several tries , my dad being an expert mechanic in his younger days as he rode and owned a 1938 harley and a triumph in the 80s and did almost all of their mechanical works him self , so he decided to do a small restoration to my surprise ( as it had been 20 years since he last assembled an engine ) . we started to search the web to locate its self starter in its manual . we disassembled the upper body , and disassembled the water cooling system to open up the self starter box after locating it . He took out the starter and diagnosed it with a worn out bush and a problem in the electrical system , the celulite was worn out as well . we managed to fix the starter by purchasing a few parts and got a new hevier celulite . now came the bigger part we had to disassemble the whole first cylinder to fix the tapet. after 3 days of going thru the manual dad finally was able to fix the tappet viberations and reassemble the engine god knows how , im a complete noob to]mechanical works .
    here are a few pics of the bike being fixed by dad and after completion , including one from the karachi sunday track , me riding it finally MashAllah
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by najeeb_shah View Post
    braking is beyond good . stops pretty fast with out slipping .

ok guys now that the bike is in top condition , i and my dad were talking about turbo charging the thing , as its done with many vtwins , the exhaust has quite a huge blow and if its done into 2 into 1 system it will make a huge amount of pressure enough for the turbo . any info on turbo kits available for bikes in pk ? dad says a 1000cc charade turbo could work , since he has been fitting turbos in engines all his life lol , but he suggests it might be a bit big for the bike . Tho we could get it cheap here in Karachi sher-sha but i wanted to save the hassle and get a kit
    Diesel Charades do have a very small turbo. 2 into 1 and it may work.........
    So basically you are more inclined to have a higher top speed than acceleration.
    Turbo lags will kill its acceleration at lower RPM.

Its a 60hp bike ....... you really think you need more power on these roads...... u never know when u will hit a pot hole in karachi.
    Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very beautiful ride.just want to know kitnay ki buy kii yay bike aap
    nay?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aximaxim View Post
    Diesel Charades do have a very small turbo. 2 into 1 and it may work.........
    So basically you are more inclined to have a higher top speed than acceleration.
    Turbo lags will kill its acceleration at lower RPM.

Its a 60hp bike ....... you really think you need more power on these roads...... u never know when u will hit a pot hole in karachi.
    the thing is iv seen twins with 60-80hp with small turbos that really boost its top speed as well as higher end accelerator , and haha you are 5 horses shy of the real figure , its 65hp restricted . and around 70 unrestricted.

what me and dad plan to do is to make it work when the bike reacher a certain speed , it wont work before lets say 70km/h , via its window settings

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the thing is iv seen twins with 60-80hp with small turbos that really boost its top speed as well as higher end accelerator , and haha you are 5 horses shy of the real figure , its 65hp restricted . and around 70 unrestricted.

what me and dad plan to do is to make it work when the bike reacher a certain speed , it wont work before lets say 70km/h , via its window settings
    What would you do than to increase its braking capacity. please remember speed thrills but kills

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 2468 View Post
    What would you do than to increase its braking capacity. please remember speed thrills but kills
    i am planning to replace its front disks with a new double disk setup

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Even if you setup a turbo which kicks in at a certain RPM....... you will have to deal with some lag.
    Its not like the turbo is disengaged at lower RPM........ its still spooling.....just isn't creating boost.
    Turbo Lag is inevitable when you install a turbo.
    Rally cars use a very complicated anti-lag system to ensure the throttle response is as quick as a normally aspirated car. I mean.... that sort of research and budgets that WRC team have...... only they can afford it.

Khair .....if you go for a smaller turbo without an inter cooler you can minimized the lag in the conventional way. Im not sure if a charade turbo is small enuff...... I think you will better off sourcing a first stage turbo kit for your engine.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

correct me if im wrong , but doesn't lag occur at lower rpms when there isnt enough exhaust power to turn the turbine ? that's exactly why i will have the turbo configured in a way that it will only kick in once the bike is at lets say 4000 rpm at a certain speed , its possible via the window , will minimize lag to a large extent since im not looking for a start up boost and just along the way to reach its top speed .

another option is a super charger which virtually has no lag but any ideas where i can find a small Screw Type or Centrifugal Type super charger for the bike ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3985 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dont do it, its a 45 degree V twin and the firing order already is offset quite a bit - meaning it cannot survive any high rpm, V twins are all about torque - you already felt it with the sudden throttle opening.

Turboing an engine is not just hanging a turbo off the exhausts, it needs calculated flow approach and then equal fuelling to keep up with the extra air charge, You then also have the giant headache of cooling down the oven of an engine.

You have a 800cc 45 degree V twin - enjoy the torque. Its the best feeling on a motorcycle.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well saw many mods on the suzuki intruder with turbos and the superchargers , successful too , lets see what the future holds

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

correct me if im wrong , but doesn't lag occur at lower rpms when there isnt enough exhaust power to turn the turbine ? that's exactly why i will have the turbo configured in a way that it will only kick in once the bike is at lets say 4000 rpm at a certain speed , its possible via the window , will minimize lag to a large extent since im not looking for a start up boost and just along the way to reach its top speed .

another option is a super charger which virtually has no lag but any ideas where i can find a small Screw Type or Centrifugal Type super charger for the bike ?
    In a normally aspirated engine, when you twist the throttle...... you see an instantaneous response from the engine..... there is no lag...... whereas when you turbo charge the same engine .... the gap between twist of the throttle and the power delivery is widen. The higher the RPM the narrower the gap will become but it will always be there. THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT

There are many factors which can effect the turbo lag..... Engine RPM is just one of the variables.

Supercharger has no lag but it has its own troubles........ Its coupled to the engine crankshaft in similar fashion as the CAR AC....... what happens when u switch it ON....... gari bhaari hojati hai. Just like the Air conditioner compressor the super charger turns into a load at the beginning (lower RPM)...... as the engine goes faster the supercharger starts to make more power than its consuming and therefore makes more power as the engine goes faster.

Its always a trade-off between acceleration and top speed..... even the most highly tuned sequential twin turbo setups will have a lag.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for the usefull info axim bhai . True a super will have its trade off in the begining . Screw Type generally starts producing results at as low as 2000rpm and goes along the way as the power band grows , where as Centrifugal Type as you said takes some power at the begining but once we hit a certain rpm it kicks in.

now the question is , where can i find such stuff for bikes in KHI

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for the usefull info axim bhai . True a super will have its trade off in the begining . Screw Type generally starts producing results at as low as 2000rpm and goes along the way as the power band grows , where as Centrifugal Type as you said takes some power at the begining but once we hit a certain rpm it kicks in.

now the question is , where can i find such stuff for bikes in KHI
    My pleasure dude.
    You're right... screw type is more efficient than the centrifugal type...... lesser torque is needed in case of screw type.
    As far as sourcing is concerned.... if you can afford and also want to insert a new supercharger you will better off sourcing it from Ebay. As Im not sure if someone will stocks supercharger for motorcycles in Pakistan. If it would have been a car.... sourcing locally would be not a problem. I saw a CG-125 once at Sunday Bazaar (Hyderi) he was selling it for 1 lac....... it was turbo charged..... I think it was a Chinese turbo kit.

You just might be able to find something in Shershah.... but the chances are really low for a supercharger..... turbo mil jayega.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well ill try . ebay is sorta out of the question , ill check out a small turbo then .

yep iv seen the electirc+exhaust hybrid mini turbos for bikes up to 150cc displacement lol , china makes em

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List