Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Suzuki GS150 misfiring issue

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    fanno__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default [RESOLVED] Suzuki GS150 misfiring issue

    I have been having a problem with my GS150 since the past few weeks. It does alot of missing in the cold state and the idle RPM are never stable. It tends to turn off if i try to accelerate modestly in the cold state. The overall performance gets better when it is rode around 4-5 km's and the engine is up to a high temperature though. But those first few Km's are nearly impossible to bear.
    After alot of reading at PW forums, i have tried the following solutions:

    * Got it tuned from Suzuki Asif autos (A grade shop) at McLeod road Lahore
    * changed the oil (SGO) and air filter
    * changed the spark plug to NGK platinum (G power)
    * change the ignition coil to Nippon denso bottle ignition coil
    (Toyota Mark-||'s)
    * tried to set the air fuel mixture myself a few times
    * measured the battery voltage before and after starting the bike (they were adequate)

    but still no use! none of these seem to solve the problem. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong here?

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    tucknoloji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    35
    Posts
    572
    Follows
    3
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Wat abt spark Plug tip clearance??? Shud b at 0.08mm

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    jadoon1992_vxlimited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,388
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    i guess its because of the tunning brother. i am not sure but get it checked again. happened with me once and i got it tuned which made the bike fine. it was impossible to start it in the morning and after warming up it was fine for the whole day
    people need to grow up sometimes and act MATURE !

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ammarzahid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    1,766
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanno__ View Post
    I have been having a problem with my GS150 since the past few weeks. It does alot of missing in the cold state and the idle RPM are never stable. It tends to turn off if i try to accelerate modestly in the cold state. The overall performance gets better when it is rode around 4-5 km's and the engine is up to a high temperature though. But those first few Km's are nearly impossible to bear.
    After alot of reading at PW forums, i have tried the following solutions:

    * Got it tuned from Suzuki Asif autos (A grade shop) at McLeod road Lahore
    * changed the oil (SGO) and air filter
    * changed the spark plug to NGK platinum (G power)
    * change the ignition coil to Nippon denso bottle ignition coil
    (Toyota Mark-||'s)
    * tried to set the air fuel mixture myself a few times
    * measured the battery voltage before and after starting the bike (they were adequate)

    but still no use! none of these seem to solve the problem. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong here?
    Whoa! Ignition coil changed with a mark 2's? did it have any effect after the initial 5-6kms?

    Try adjusting idle screw once you have ridden 5-6kms. Set it at 1.5k revs. Thats the ideal idling position . Make sure mixture isnt too lean and the carb doesnt have any dirt etc in it. My sprinter wouldnt start recently and it was because of a clogged up carb (16k kms)

    Sent from my LG-F160K using PW Forums mobile app

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    fanno__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tucknoloji View Post
    Wat abt spark Plug tip clearance??? Shud b at 0.08mm

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Its the stock NGK clearance for CR8EGP, didnt mess with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by jadoon1992_vxlimited View Post
    i guess its because of the tunning brother. i am not sure but get it checked again. happened with me once and i got it tuned which made the bike fine. it was impossible to start it in the morning and after warming up it was fine for the whole day
    No point in getting it tuned as long i dont find a reliable mechanic. Could someone suggest a good mechanic in Lahore? @Automotorsport_Lover @vickytulla @basic @hidalgo @Silver_Knife @12gauge @dr.omair @SyedMoazzam @imranbhatti @Synchrony

    Quote Originally Posted by ammarzahid View Post
    Whoa! Ignition coil changed with a mark 2's? did it have any effect after the initial 5-6kms?

    Try adjusting idle screw once you have ridden 5-6kms. Set it at 1.5k revs. Thats the ideal idling position . Make sure mixture isnt too lean and the carb doesnt have any dirt etc in it. My sprinter wouldnt start recently and it was because of a clogged up carb (16k kms)

    Sent from my LG-F160K using PW Forums mobile app
    its definitely better than the OEM ignition coil but dont expect a considerable difference in performance. If i set adjust the idle screw to 1.5k after getting it upto optimum temperature, its bound to stall in the cold state. How do i clean the carb without getting it opened?

  6. #6
    PakWheeler Follow
    Synchrony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    When was the last time the engine had its valve tappets/rockers clearance adjusted?

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ammarzahid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    1,766
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanno__ View Post
    Its the stock NGK clearance for CR8EGP, didnt mess with it.



    No point in getting it tuned as long i dont find a reliable mechanic. Could someone suggest a good mechanic in Lahore? @Automotorsport_Lover @vickytulla @basic @hidalgo @Silver_Knife @12gauge @dr.omair @SyedMoazzam @imranbhatti @Synchrony



    its definitely better than the OEM ignition coil but dont expect a considerable difference in performance. If i set adjust the idle screw to 1.5k after getting it upto optimum temperature, its bound to stall in the cold state. How do i clean the carb without getting it opened?
    yes it will stall in cold state, thats why you should use choke lever when getting it up to running temperature. how many kms has your gs clocked? you'll have to get the carb opened sadly to really check if theres any dirt in it, but if theres no mechanic to do the job then it's best left untouched. im also following policy of lesser visits to mechanics
    @Synchrony GS has always been a really low quality bike, and this is a chronic problem(the tak sound in first gear). the solution to this problem is to let the bike idle for 2-3 minutes when you start it up on a new day. i did it and it shifted into first without issue. too many open ends to point to any specific part acting funny

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    ammarzahid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    1,766
    Follows
    3
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanno__ View Post
    its definitely better than the OEM ignition coil but dont expect a considerable difference in performance. If i set adjust the idle screw to 1.5k after getting it upto optimum temperature, its bound to stall in the cold state. How do i clean the carb without getting it opened?
    if there are any noticeable improvements in engine running i would like to change the ignition coil as well. any specific reason of using mark 2's?

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    fanno__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    When was the last time the engine had its valve tappets/rockers clearance adjusted?
    Around 500Kms back. The issue originated around a 1000Kms back from now (when it had its 3rd tune up+oil change). So i went to get it tuned again (oil change aswell) after 500Kms of painful riding, but the worthless mechanic couldnt get this issue resolved.

  10. #10
    PakWheeler Follow
    Synchrony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanno__ View Post
    Around 500Kms back. The issue originated around a 1000Kms back from now (when it had its 3rd tune up+oil change). So i went to get it tuned again (oil change aswell) after 500Kms of painful riding, but the worthless mechanic couldnt get this issue resolved.
    You are not supposed to disassemble the Carburetor for a clean up until and unless it really needs one. Especially a gs150 carburetor for its brittle and easy to damage diaphragm throttle valve assembly.

    Have you tried adjusting the idle air screw located on the left side of the carburetor? How many km's on the bike in total?

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    surplusstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Wat is solution for misfiring when engine is cold.

  12. #12
    PakWheeler Follow
    fanno__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    You are not supposed to disassemble the Carburetor for a clean up until and unless it really needs one. Especially a gs150 carburetor for its brittle and easy to damage diaphragm throttle valve assembly.

    Have you tried adjusting the idle air screw located on the left side of the carburetor? How many km's on the bike in total?
    Disassembling carb would be the last thing i would want to do to my GS. Yes, indeed i have tried adjusting the idle screw but it doesn't eradicates the misfires, if anything. It has clocked around 3800Kms.
    Classic rock lunatic, F1 buff, Aircraft connoisseur, Motorbike maniac, exquisite watch zealot, tennis player and an Unconditional patriot.

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    Synchrony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ammarzahid View Post
    yes it will stall in cold state, thats why you should use choke lever when getting it up to running temperature. how many kms has your gs clocked? you'll have to get the carb opened sadly to really check if theres any dirt in it, but if theres no mechanic to do the job then it's best left untouched. im also following policy of lesser visits to mechanics
    @Synchrony GS has always been a really low quality bike, and this is a chronic problem(the tak sound in first gear). the solution to this problem is to let the bike idle for 2-3 minutes when you start it up on a new day. i did it and it shifted into first without issue. too many open ends to point to any specific part acting funny
    Not really a low quality bike, just partly assembled by a bunch of good-for-nothing morons I reckon. The engine internals on the other hand truly speak volumes in favor of Suzuki, its a fairly robust designed workhorse that is meant to work well for long.

    I receive a couple gs150's for a tuneup on a regular basis. And none of them have actually had this problem.

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    Synchrony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanno__ View Post
    Disassembling carb would be the last thing i would want to do to my GS. Yes, indeed i have tried adjusting the idle screw but it doesn't eradicates the misfires, if anything. It has clocked around 3800Kms.
    I hope you're aware the idle adjustment screw and the idle air mixture screw are two separate parts.

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    surplusstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,301
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    May be some specific badge have this issue. With substandard parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    Not really a low quality bike, just partly assembled by a bunch of good-for-nothing morons I reckon. The engine internals on the other hand truly speak volumes in favor of Suzuki, its a fairly robust designed workhorse that is meant to work well for long.

    I receive a couple gs150's for a tuneup on a regular basis. And none of them have actually had this problem.

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    fanno__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ammarzahid View Post
    if there are any noticeable improvements in engine running i would like to change the ignition coil as well. any specific reason of using mark 2's?
    Yes, indeed the idle is more stable, engine sounds a better at higher RPM range, a tad bit of boost in the acceleration, and definitely a noticeable improvement in the top speed.
    No specific reason, just went for nippon denso (as suggested by someone on the forums). Infact, as far as my mere knowledge goes corolla and mark2 might have the same ignition coils.
    Classic rock lunatic, F1 buff, Aircraft connoisseur, Motorbike maniac, exquisite watch zealot, tennis player and an Unconditional patriot.

  17. #17
    PakWheeler Follow
    Synchrony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    97
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    On a stock bore the added spark would do no good for the engine. Its an highly misinformed concept to install a bigger coil and expect it to perform better than stock. If anything, it may put extra load on the cdi/battery to consistently feed the coil for it to produce a heavier spark on every single revolution.

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    fanno__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    I hope you're aware the idle adjustment screw and the idle air mixture screw are two separate parts.
    Yes, i tried cranking up the air fuel mixture screw (rotating CW by a turn). Definitely improved the acceleration, when in running temperature.
    Classic rock lunatic, F1 buff, Aircraft connoisseur, Motorbike maniac, exquisite watch zealot, tennis player and an Unconditional patriot.

  19. #19
    PakWheeler Follow
    fanno__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    26
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synchrony View Post
    On a stock bore the added spark would do no good for the engine. Its a highly misinformed concept to install a bigger coil and expect it to perform better than stock. If anything, it will only put extra load on the cdi/batter to constantly put out heavier spark on every revolution.
    Idk maybe its the spark plug indexing that resulted in the improved performance.
    Classic rock lunatic, F1 buff, Aircraft connoisseur, Motorbike maniac, exquisite watch zealot, tennis player and an Unconditional patriot.

  20. #20
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Automotorsport_Lover's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,834
    Follows
    5
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fanno__ View Post
    I have been having a problem with my GS150 since the past few weeks. It does alot of missing in the cold state and the idle RPM are never stable. It tends to turn off if i try to accelerate modestly in the cold state. The overall performance gets better when it is rode around 4-5 km's and the engine is up to a high temperature though. But those first few Km's are nearly impossible to bear.
    After alot of reading at PW forums, i have tried the following solutions:

    * Got it tuned from Suzuki Asif autos (A grade shop) at McLeod road Lahore
    * changed the oil (SGO) and air filter
    * changed the spark plug to NGK platinum (G power)
    * change the ignition coil to Nippon denso bottle ignition coil
    (Toyota Mark-||'s)
    * tried to set the air fuel mixture myself a few times
    * measured the battery voltage before and after starting the bike (they were adequate)

    but still no use! none of these seem to solve the problem. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong here?
    *Issue can be with Cdi system.. did u get it inspected?
    *Improper plug gap
    *Malfunctioning/stuck choke system
    *Blocked/improperly jetted carb

    Consult mechanics and start hitting the list one by one... starting with easier things first

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •