Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Haji__John

Thread: GS-150 valve adjustment-Is there a spring pushing rocker on valve?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question GS-150 valve adjustment-Is there a spring pushing rocker on valve?

I bought this '12 GS-150 two years back. I regularly change oil myself at 800-1000km and had its clutch plate changed and tuning don't a month after buying it. The mechanic adjusted the valves without feeler gauge at that time, and since then another mechanic might have adjusted them again while I wasn't in front of the bike. Recently I have started doing its maintenance by the book, and today opened it up for valve clearance check for the first time. The screws were tightened so much that I couldn't insert the 0.05mm gauge in either valves. I checked and rechecked that I was at TDC of compression stroke, and then adjusted the intake to 0.05. The issue arose when I couldn't insert any thickness gauge in the exhaust side even after taking the adjuster screw out completely. The rocker arm seems to be pushing down on the valve, and if I try hard enough to move it up a bit, it feels like a spring is resisting this movement because it forces down on valve when I let it go. I checked intake side's arm by taking its adjustment screw out, and while it didn't push on the valve like exhaust, it isn't moving freely either.The image of rocker arms isn't clear in the repair manual (uploaded PDF on the forum) there probably is a spring shown on one rocker arm attached to its shaft. But if it already pushes the rocker arm forcefully on the valve even at tdc and the gap exists between its cam side, doesn't it negate the purpose of any clearance set on the valve side? Even if I force a 0.13mm gauge between the arm and valve somehow, the sprung will close that gap when I'll remove the gauage. Or is something messed up in the head cover? I haven't closed up the bike or started it because I would rather fix this problem first, even if it means replacing some out-of-spec component.Excuse any mistakes. My internet isn't working so I had to write from mobile.

Edit: On a second thought, assuming there is a spring designed to keep the rocker arm pushing on valve all the time, then the clearance can be adjusted IF the arms other side is kept in contact with cam by pulling it up, inserting the the gauge and tightening the adjustment screw.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Same story happens with me two days ago I wasted two hours and aakhir kar tang aakar tappet cover bund kar dya intake per to 0.05 ki guage ja hi nhe rhi thi to men ney kaha shayed 0.04 per set hai per exhaust side per bhi 0.05 wali guage nhe ja rhi thi aur to guage dalna hi mushkil ho gya tha euro 2 unit ka pipe exhaust valve key samney aarha tha

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes there is a spring pushing on the valves.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Haji__John View Post
    Yes there is a spring pushing on the valves.
    Sir please explain the valve clearence method

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its no mystery. When inserting the gauge just lift the rocker a little with your finger and viola! the gauge goes in. Problem solved.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@asad17 @mohsinwahhab

How u guys are assuring TDC ? U guys r probably at TDC during exhaust stroke. The timing mark on magneto will be aligned twice during one complete cycle of CAM(a complete 4 Stroke cycle) so at the right TDC valve clearance will become prominent and on the other turn they will be pressed through CAM and u will not be able to check the clearance. So please make sure u r at correct TDC.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imranbhatti View Post
    @asad17 @mohsinwahhab

How u guys are assuring TDC ? U guys r probably at TDC during exhaust stroke. The timing mark on magneto will be aligned twice during one complete cycle of CAM(a complete 4 Stroke cycle) so at the right TDC valve clearance will become prominent and on the other turn they will be pressed through CAM and u will not be able to check the clearance. So please make sure u r at correct TDC.
    Yes sir I was checking on right tdc at compression stroke because on exhaust stroke on valve is close and other one is open so both rocker arm in different position and on compression stroke both valves are closed and rocker arm in same position any way I will try again to check valve clearence before eid.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List