Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Red face Suzuki DR250 SHC (Seat Height Control) My new ride

AoA,

After completion of my cruiser project.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/d-i...uising-machine

A new temptation was started to get a Dual Sports as well that can perform equally good on and off road.

The dream was to get a ride which has following characteristics.
    1. 250cc 4 valve 25+ HP motor.
    2. Dual Disk.
    3. Mono Shock ofcourse.
    4. Total stock. No alteration. No rebuild. Clean ride.
    5. Good suspension.
    6. Legal no NCP.

Search was started. There were very limited options to meet my requirement. After hunting for more than 6 months and looking at dozen of rides. Finally found the bike that was meeting my requirement. Price was a bit on higher side but good things comes with a price tag. So its better to pay up front for a clean ride rather than spending later on workshop visits.

It was Suzuki DR250 SHC (Seat Height Control). Its a Japanese make that was launched in Japan and UK only and this is the single piece in Pakistan.

Suzuki DR250 SHC Seat Height Control My new ride -1648253

As you can see the pic, the condition is unbelievably clean and the ride has the following specs.

1. 4 valve. Single cylinder, Single over head cam, 250cc engine.
    2. Max Power: 29 hp @ 8500 rpm
    3. Max Torque: 2.5 kgf-m @ 7000 rpm
    4. Dual Disk.
    5. 6 Gears.
    5. Oil + Air cooled.
    6. Seat Height Control on handle bar.
    7. Electric Start.
    8. Golden colored Motocross Rally Rims.
    9. Mitas Dual sports Tyres.
    10. and ofcourse funky orange and yellow color

It is a dream come true. Shukar Alhamdulillah for his blessing and may Allah keep me and the ride safe always Ameen.

The purpose of this thread is to share my experience about the ride and gather knowledge from others.

I'll keep sharing the test ride detail, pictures and videos in up coming days.

Suzuki DR250 SHC Seat Height Control My new ride -1648255Suzuki DR250 SHC Seat Height Control My new ride -1648256Suzuki DR250 SHC Seat Height Control My new ride -1648260Suzuki DR250 SHC Seat Height Control My new ride -1648261

Thank you
    @vickytulla, @imranbhatti, @salargilani @RocketScience @jigzKorner @kashifkhan for helping me in my search.
    @7thgear for beautiful clicks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arsi_mast View Post
    What a beauty congrats... Its really hard to find a legal trail with such a condition you are lucky... btw whats the price tag...???
    Thanks. Yes you are right. It's 330k.

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-TL00 using Tapatalk
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoberRiders/

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For @Silverknife
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451413357674.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  13.0 KB

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congrats on purchasing such a nice machine although price on a bit higher side.
    Its Road legal offroader NOT a dual Sports bike so it can't perform as good on Road as it does off road.
    Its an Air Cooled engine NOT Oil cooled. There is no such thing like oil cooled. Oil is either used for heating purposes or reducing friction between the moving parts of Engines.
    Quote Originally Posted by angel82 View Post
    A new temptation was started to get a Dual Sports as well that can perform equally good on and off road.
    5. Oil + Air cooled.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by farhan_khetran View Post
    There is no such thing like oil cooled. Oil is either used for heating purposes or reducing friction between the moving parts of Engines.
    I'm afraid that's incorrect brother...
    Some engines do have oil cooling, but it works as a 'secondary' cooling feature, beside the regular air cooling...
    This bike's eldest brother, Suzuki DR650 and DR800 (MASSIVE THUMPER!!!) have air/oil cooled engines.
    Ducati's L-Twin Desmo used in it's previous Monster line-up and current Scrambler line-up also are air/oil cooled...
    BMW's previous generation opposed twin aka 'boxer engine' was also oil cooled and it's still being used in BMW R9T...
    Same can be said about early 90's Suzuki Gixxers and previous generation Bandits and Katanas...
    Indian's massive 1,800cc V-Twin push-rod engine is also air/oil cooled... And I think Victory also use oil/air cooling in it's 1,600cc V-Twins, though I'm not entirely sure...
    Sorry, just can't help myself!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congrats on purchasing such a nice machine although price on a bit higher side.
    Its Road legal offroader NOT a dual Sports bike so it can't perform as good on Road as it does off road.
    Its an Air Cooled engine NOT Oil cooled. There is no such thing like oil cooled. Oil is either used for heating purposes or reducing friction between the moving parts of Engines.
    @k-four-nine already replied in detail about oil cooling. Google for oil cooled motorcycle and you'll see what we are talking about.
    Still i can show you that his the oil runs in the frame and that helps to cool down the oil temperature and eventually the engine temperature.

And about dual sports. May be your concept of dual sport of different then mine. Like bmw gs650f is a dual sport for you. But i am 100% confirm that DR also comes in dual sport category because of its rear 18 in tyre and lower seat height than a pure offroader. Still its debatable because there are very thin line between an offroader and a dual sports.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451453929101.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  163.8 KB

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@k-four-nine you are correct to the extent brother that there are "oil cooled engines" too which I was unaware of earlier. But as you said, "Oil" is used as secondary cooling feature which is sent to "Oil radiator" to cool it down by air. So these engines fall in BROADER CATEGORY of AIR COOLED ENGINES(Fins) and are less effective as compared to LIQUID COOLED ENGINES(no Fins) so towards elimination day by day. So if you abstract something from it: "Air" and "Liquid/Water" are two natural elements that are used for cooling. But "Oil" for cooling purposes seems unnatural to me. But one can expect the unexpected from these Engineers as they can run a motor on water too.

@angel82 In which frame Oil is running and where it goes for cooling I mean wheres the Oil radiator installed. Does your bike's engine have fins on its head?
    And about dual sports, mate as you already mentioned that your bike has 18" rear wheel. I want to know the diameter/size of its front wheel? Also whats the position of its front fender/fenders to tell you about its classification. Yes the bike in picture is a replica of a dual sports.

@k-four-nine already replied in detail about oil cooling. Google for oil cooled motorcycle and you'll see what we are talking about.
    Still i can show you that his the oil runs in the frame and that helps to cool down the oil temperature and eventually the engine temperature.

And about dual sports. May be your concept of dual sport of different then mine. Like bmw gs650f is a dual sport for you. But i am 100% confirm that DR also comes in dual sport category because of its rear 18 in tyre and lower seat height than a pure offroader. Still its debatable because there are very thin line between an offroader and a dual sports.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451453929101.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  163.8 KB

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@k-four-nine you are correct to the extent brother that there are "oil cooled engines" too which I was unaware of earlier. But as you said "Oil" is used as secondary cooling feature which is sent to "Oil radiator" to cool down by air. So these engines fall in BROADER CATEGORY of AIR COOLED ENGINES(Fins) and less effective as compared to LIQUID COOLED ENGINES(no Fins) so towards elimination day by day. So if you abstract something from it "Air" and "Liquid/Water" are two natural elements that are used for cooling. But "Oil" for cooling seems unnatural to me. But one can expect the unexpected from these Engineers as they can run a motor on water too.

@angel82 In which frame Oil is running and where it goes for cooling I mean wheres the Oil radiator installed. Does your bike's engine have fins on its head?
    And about dual sports, mate as you already mentioned that your bike has 18" rear wheel. I want to know the diameter/size of its front wheel? Also whats the position of its front fender/fenders to tell you about its classification. Yes the bike in picture is a replica of a dual sports.
    How many frame a bike can have. ofcourse in the bike frame. Please Google drysump engine you'll know what is benifit of running oil in the frame. Here wiki link
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_sump

Now come to my bike. You can see the dip stick in the frame.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451469301444.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  226.5 KB
    2 main benifits of dry sump engines. More oil capacity and oil get cooled easily via frame and eventually engine cools down. One can add oil cooler if required thats not a big deal. But i dont feel its requirement.

It surely has fins on head thats whybi said its oil + air cooled.

Here is a pic of a naked DR. You can see the oil line coming out of head going in the head.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451469550414.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  29.3 KB

My two cents.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How many frame a bike can have. ofcourse in the bike frame. Please Google drysump engine you'll know what is benifit of running oil in the frame. Here wiki link
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_sump

Now come to my bike. You can see the dip stick in the frame.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451469301444.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  226.5 KB
    2 main benifits of dry sump engines. More oil capacity and oil get cooled easily via frame and eventually engine cools down. One can add oil cooler if required thats not a big deal. But i dont feel its requirement.

It surely has fins on head thats whybi said its oil + air cooled.

Here is a pic of a naked DR. You can see the oil line coming out of head going in the head.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451469550414.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  29.3 KB

My two cents.

I read some articles on Dry Sump Engine Lubricating technique. Its surely a very efficient technique which involves an external reservior. Thanks for sharing these pics that given some learning.
    But I would again say that its not Oil cooled Engine. Oil(Engine Oil) is used both to lubricate and cool the Engine(as this article states)(INTERNALLY) but that Oil itself needs to be cooled(EXTERNALLY) by something and that thing can either be "Air" or "Liquid/Water". Aik tu saali yeh English arey ajati hai. Urdu mein: Har cheez ki taseer hoti hai aur Oil ki taseer garam hai. Yeh aik bar garam hu jaye tu khud thanda mushkil se hota hai yeh kia kisi ko thanda kareyga.
    On a lighter side note: Do you feel the heat under the seat of your bike? As it seems to me someone sitting on Oil Radiator heater pipe with foam cushioning on it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Time to put it on offroad and dirt tracks near Ravi river bank for some extensive testing.
    It was so much fun. It exceeded my expectation in performance.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451540201879.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  119.4 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451539813147.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  214.9 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1451540042401.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  125.7 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1451540154789.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  48.9 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1451540267252.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  178.6 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1451540308631.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  175.7 KB

Videos are on way....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dry sump engines r used in aircraft n the difference is these engines have an external oil pump with them to lube the engine + they have an external oil storage tank too the benefit is in inverted flight is oil can not reach some parts of the engine in inverted position in normal engines so the external oil pump help to lube the engine more efficiently.
    In case of DR engine the oil storage is in a sump which is within the engine an it is according to me is wet sump engine the frame oil is for cooling propose ...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Akber3 View Post
    Dry sump engines r used in aircraft n the difference is these engines have an external oil pump with them to lube the engine + they have an external oil storage tank too the benefit is in inverted flight is oil can not reach some parts of the engine in inverted position in normal engines so the external oil pump help to lube the engine more efficiently.
    In case of DR engine the oil storage is in a sump which is within the engine an it is according to me is wet sump engine the frame oil is for cooling propose ...
    @Akber3 can you please elaborate the mechanism that how this "frame oil" is cooling the engine?
    @angel82 can you please tell that is there any seperate dip stick on your engine too or on frame is the only one available. And please also tell that you pour in "engine oil" in frame and engine separately OR you just have to pour it in frame dip stick opening and it automatically shifts to engine compartment via a valve?
    This will help

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Akber3 can you please elaborate the mechanism that how this "frame oil" is cooling the engine?
    @angel82 can you please tell that is there any seperate dip stick on your engine too or on frame is the only one available. And please also tell that you pour in "engine oil" in frame and engine separately OR you just have to pour it in frame dip stick opening and it automatically shifts to engine compartment via a valve?
    This will help
    There is only one dip stick and oil pouring point. Same oil circulates in frame and engine. Its not a new technology farhan. It was introduced in early 90s. May be new for you.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this may help u to understand them better
    Attached Images Attached Images  

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This thread is dooooommmmed

Suzuki DR250 SHC Seat Height Control My new ride -1649062

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@7thgear for beautiful clicks
    My pleasure. It was great to do a test ride of the bike besides taking shots of it
    Web: http://www.bikepics.com/members/sniperr and http://wanderersbook.blogspot.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
    My pleasure. It was great to do a test ride of the bike besides taking shots of it
    Hehe

Let's plan for video shoot....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

After riding this DR... now my head says.. "DR da engine labo" but as I see the DR engine is so highly coupled with its frame due to oil linings that it would be impossible to port it to "some other" chasis (if you know what I mean) ha h ah ah ah aha
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

about cooling mechanism according to my poor knowledge there are two parent categories:

Air Cooled and Liquid Cooled

Most engines have one distinct choice of what type of cooling they have.

But there are many examples where more then one cooling system is incorporated for the engine.

In Liquid Category: Water Base/Coolant Cooling and Oil Cooling Exist

But most air cooled engines which are also expected to perform at peak RPMs are incorporated with either Water Radiator or a Oil Condensor.

For example Honda Degree XL and Honda Tornado XR (250cc category) both have exactly same engines same power but Degree was rolled out with water body (even it had AIR cooling fins) where as tornado was rolled out with Oil cooler/condenser.

DR250 is a unique design which uses Frame Just like Hondas later Dry XR's series. This reminds me of Oil and Air Cooled Night Hawk 750 of 80s!!!
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hehe

Let's plan for video shoot....

Soon Insha Allah
    Web: http://www.bikepics.com/members/sniperr and http://wanderersbook.blogspot.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vickytulla View Post
    After riding this DR... now my head says.. "DR da engine labo" but as I see the DR engine is so highly coupled with its frame due to oil linings that it would be impossible to port it to "some other" chasis (if you know what I mean) ha h ah ah ah aha
    Haha agreed i know what u r taking about. DR engine is out of our list of possibilities

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List