Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default New or Used Swift - help me decide

Hi guys,

I live in Islamabad. According to my research, a good condition 11-12 model used Swift can be bought for 12 lacs or less. The price of new 14 Swift shown on Pakwheels is PKR 1,282,000 at this moment. Plus, adding registration and stuff, I expect the total cost to me to be PKR 13.5 lacs. Roughly, in 1.5 lacs more, I can get a brand new zero meter Swift.

If I am wrong about the prices, please correct me.

My concerns for not getting a brand new:

1. I plan to sell it in 1.5 - 2 years max as I plan to leave for abroad.
    2. Reading here on PW, I found that it only starts giving 'normal' consumption after 10k KMs. In my estimate, I will drive it maximum 15k KMs in 2 years.
    3. The price of a new Swift is almost equal to the price of a used Honda City.

Regarding point 1. Not really sure about the resale value of Swift. The reason why I am hesitant to go for brand new is because I don't plan to keep it for more than 2 years and I don't want to lose money on it when I sell. That's why, in understanding (which is limited), I think going for a used car would be a better choice.

Regarding 2. Only rich people can happily afford fuel prices. I don't plan to get a CNG. I have read that people are getting 8-10 KM/L on their zero meter Swifts while it is in running period. And it only starts to give a normal consumption which is 12-13 KM/L after 10k KMs. And if this is true, by that time I will be thinking about selling the car so why spend so much on fuel and take care of the engine before it reaches 10k KMs only to sell it right after that. So the reason I want to go for a used Swift (max 40k on Odometer) is because it will already be giving normal consumption of 12-13 KM/L.

Regarding 3. The price of a new Swift is almost equal to the price of a used Honda City. I don't mind buying a used GOOD condition car. So why not go for a bigger used 10-11 model City for almost the price of a brand new Swift?

So, keeping in mind my concerns, kindly advise me. If I am wrong about the anything I wrote above, kindly to let me know as it will be affecting my decision of whether to go for a zero meter Swift or a used one.

Detailed responses will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Faisal_Computer View Post
    lol
    Thank you.
    Turbo lag is like foreplay. You know it's coming. And it's gonna be good.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go for Swift....
    i purchased brand new and now it's 5015 ODO.
    i am getting minimum 12.70 KMPL with heavyFoot and 120 to 150 kmph speed !!
    maximum i get is 18 KmPL on 90 to 100 with light foot on fifth gear
    close your eyes buy new Swift. i am really enjoying the thrill Swift gave me....
    Br
    Please post some pics of your car

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by adil5855 View Post
    Please post some pics of your car

Sent from my iPhone using PW Forums mobile app
    Yes I will do after got registration number
    br

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Btw- @OP, I used to get 11.5/12km/l with AC when my Swift was only urrm 1500 KM driven, since I went to Islamabad and did a Tank 2 Tank measure.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by faiz.aslam.121 View Post
    Btw- @OP, I used to get 11.5/12km/l with AC when my Swift was only urrm 1500 KM driven, since I went to Islamabad and did a Tank 2 Tank measure.
    I read it is not supposed to give a good KM/L until it has crossed 10K mileage. But a guy above with 35K on the ODO is also saying he gets 12/13 KMPL so there isn't much difference.

Yaar, tu karda ki we???? I have never achieved more than 17 and that too hypermiling and keeping car under 85km/h.
    Do tell us-
    Engine oil
    What filter
    Tire air pressure
    When you change gears ( at what RPM's )
    If AC was on
    passengers.

Please! I beg you lol
    Do you get this 17 inside city or on highway?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jas9 View Post
    I read it is not supposed to give a good KM/L until it has crossed 10K mileage. But a guy above with 35K on the ODO is also saying he gets 12/13 KMPL so there isn't much difference.

Do you get this 17 inside city or on highway?
    I used to get 17km/l on Highway. Without AC.
    In city- 14 with AC and 15 without. It really depends on how I drive, tbh.
    I hypermile a lot!
    Uncle style- Good average.
    Need to get to a place ASAP- 12-13.

One tire needs to get repaired- it has a puncture. I refill it with air every day, from 14-16 PSI to 31 lol- The rear one.
    That performs the fuel efficiency as well.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I used to get 17km/l on Highway. Without AC.
    In city- 14 with AC and 15 without. It really depends on how I drive, tbh.
    I hypermile a lot!
    Uncle style- Good average.
    Need to get to a place ASAP- 12-13.

One tire needs to get repaired- it has a puncture. I refill it with air every day, from 14-16 PSI to 31 lol- The rear one.
    That performs the fuel efficiency as well.
    14 with AC and 15 without AC seems reasonable for a 1300 CC car. I wonder why @imran2006g is not being able to get more than 12KM/L.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

14 with AC and 15 without AC seems reasonable for a 1300 CC car. I wonder why @imran2006g is not being able to get more than 12KM/L.
    I drive in Faisalabad- I always try to use Canal Road, I have to brake very few times. And, I go easy on the brakes. I rather just coast in Gear, rather than hard braking at the last moment.

I change gears at 2500 RPM. I use Thin oil- 5w40. I usually keep tire pressure @ 34 front and 31 rear.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

New or Used Swift  help me decide -1421860New or Used Swift  help me decide -1421861

i was coming back from multan. MianChannu reserve light were on. near was Shell pump. tank full and after for checking i use soft foot and 99.50% travel on 5th gear. speed maintain at 100 KMPH and results is in front of all of you
    by the way How's that ?
    Br
    i have gone beyond this......78kms..
    JDM Always 2 STEPs AHEAD..........

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have kept both city and swift...if u want a good avg go for city..floor or no floor u will get 14km/l...swift drinks alot if u abuse drive it..but at the time of selling city .that too which i kept for 3-5months it took me 2 months just to sell it...bad resale as people still tend to buy corolla and suzuki...and swift has a great resale.....
    JDM Always 2 STEPs AHEAD..........

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have a short trip to the office. 4-5km either side. Driving shorter distances with frequent gear changes decreases the fuel average IMHO. Longer distances with less frequent gear changes are better. The 12 km/ltr is an average, there is always a margin of error even if it is the onboard computer showing the fuel average. There is also the factor of wanting to have fun; the M13A is one small and happy motor . I use 10w-40.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I really don't mind a small car (Swift). I think the space and size and everything is fine for me. I have never owned a Suzuki. I just don't want to feel like I'm in a Mehran when I drive Swift. I don't think that will be the case, will it? Seems like City has a better fuel consumption than a Swift - and I don't like this fact as I will most likely be going for a Swift :p Most people I talked to, including the people who posted above, say "Swift petrol peeti hai". :/ But if I get 14 with AC and 15 without AC, I think it will be okay. @imran2006g, yes you are right - shorter trips do increase fuel consumption. My daily trips are also short. The main Islamabad is quite small and you need to change gears often. You can hardly drive for 2-3 minutes at the speed of 80 KM/H - 100 KM/H before the next traffic light. I usually drive slow (60 - 70 KM/H) and try to change gears under 2.5 RPM. Only occasionally drive fast when I'm in a hurry or in the mood for some fun. My main priority is fuel consumption but I don't want to go for JDM 660CCs or Mehran or Cultus. In my budget (11-12 lac), Swift seems like the best option to me. Automatic transmission is a deal breaker for me so I'm not looking at JDMs.
    @faiz.aslam.121

Quote Originally Posted by FarhanAnwarKhan View Post
    i have kept both city and swift...if u want a good avg go for city..floor or no floor u will get 14km/l...swift drinks alot if u abuse drive it..but at the time of selling city .that too which i kept for 3-5months it took me 2 months just to sell it...bad resale as people still tend to buy corolla and suzuki...and swift has a great resale.....
    I also have to look at the resale factor because I do plan to sell it in max two years. And I don't want to lose money on it when I sell it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You can hypermile in Islamabad as well- When you know that the light will turn red- Release Race Pedal and coast. Just make sure you are not blocking the fast lane, whenever I travel to Twin Cities- I stay in the lane next to fast lane and keep speed at 80 km/h.
    By the time I reach the red light, it has already turned green.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well bro used swift is a good option in ur budget.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You can hypermile in Islamabad as well- When you know that the light will turn red- Release Race Pedal and coast. Just make sure you are not blocking the fast lane, whenever I travel to Twin Cities- I stay in the lane next to fast lane and keep speed at 80 km/h.
    By the time I reach the red light, it has already turned green.
    I can't actually know when the light will turn red. 98% of the lights do not have timers. So whenever I see a green, instead of releasing the race (as you said), I go full throttle in hopes of crossing before the light changes

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I really don't mind a small car (Swift). I think the space and size and everything is fine for me. I have never owned a Suzuki. I just don't want to feel like I'm in a Mehran when I drive Swift.

Oh my god. Itna bi na karo yar . Theek hai it is from Suzuki but you cannot put Mehran and Swift in the same category lol. Have you test driven someone elses Swift?

I can't actually know when the light will turn red. 98% of the lights do not have timers. So whenever I see a green, instead of releasing the race (as you said), I go full throttle in hopes of crossing before the light changes

DO NOT DO THIS. Matter of time before some guy on a bike/car at the other signal guns it on red and you T-Bone each other; resulting in a fatal crash. Always slow down as you approach a junction. Wont matter if you arrive safely at your destination 5 minutes late. Better than not arriving.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imran2006g View Post
    Oh my god. Itna bi na karo yar . Theek hai it is from Suzuki but you cannot put Mehran and Swift in the same category lol. Have you test driven someone elses Swift?

DO NOT DO THIS. Matter of time before some guy on a bike/car at the other signal guns it on red and you T-Bone each other; resulting in a fatal crash. Always slow down as you approach a junction. Wont matter if you arrive safely at your destination 5 minutes late. Better than not arriving.
    That's what I wanted to hear. :p Because Mehran jese 7 lac ke junkyard se tau Allah bachaye. No doubt it is very good with fuel consumption but everything else is below average. No, I haven't driven a Swift. Sat in a Swift only once but never drove it. No one in my friends circle has it so the chances of a test drive before I buy it are pretty slim.

Yeah, I try to be careful with that. I do cross slow and carefully at the junctions. Just speed up to get to the light. But you are absolutely right about what you said.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That's what I wanted to hear. :p Because Mehran jese 7 lac ke junkyard se tau Allah bachaye. No doubt it is very good with fuel consumption but everything else is below average. No, I haven't driven a Swift. Sat in a Swift only once but never drove it. No one in my friends circle has it so the chances of a test drive before I buy it are pretty slim.

Yeah, I try to be careful with that. I do cross slow and carefully at the junctions. Just speed up to get to the light. But you are absolutely right about what you said.
    Mehran is a gas guzzler. A puny; outdated 800cc engine giving less mileage than a modern 1300cc engine.
    About the Swift. You wont regret it. I'm still having fun after having put more than 20K kms on mine in a year

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imran2006g View Post
    Mehran is a gas guzzler. A puny; outdated 800cc engine giving less mileage than a modern 1300cc engine.
    About the Swift. You wont regret it. I'm still having fun after having put more than 20K kms on mine in a year
    Two of my close friends have Mehran. 2012 and 2014 models. They get EXCELLENT consumption. Both are getting roughly 18 - 19 KM/L. Don't know why you called it a gas guzzler but this is some excellent consumption.

The only concern I have right now for the Swift is the consumption. I'm good with 14 with AC and 15 without AC (as someone above said they are getting) but 11-12 KM/L isn't impressive :/

Do you have CNG? Any idea about how it performs on CNG?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fuel history of our swift since day 1.
    New or Used Swift - help me decide - y2utybyz

P.s car's mileage is improving as the engine is >5k km driven now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    ChipLoco.com | Anything and everything from the tech world!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List