I believe this is a common "dilemma" these days. I personally have delayed the GLI purchase for a couple of more days, till Altis 1.6 issue gets a bit clearer, with respect to launch.
In the meantime, I've my eyes set on Civic VTI Oriel also, just like the OP, and I find myself between this confusion as well.
If Corolla 1.6 is delayed for a prolonged time, I'm stuck between the VTI Oriel and GLI 1.3, but then again, Honda change should be imminent, so what do you say, if I take the GLI 1.3 now, would it sell well enough, if the 1.6 arrives and I decide to replace my 1.3 with the 1.6, or would 1.3's market start falling with the advent of the 1.6??? Quite some curve balls, and sorry to go a bit off the topic here.
@OP...........I humbly believe Altis 1.6 would be a great option over the Civic VTI, but mainly because the Civic is up for an upgrade/full change, otherwise the Civic would keep rocking.