Its blue color 1993 model 280E auto. mileage is 189,000km.
VIN 1240282B965572 Asking Price Rs 1.1 million
1. Battery was dead, started with jump lead
2. The engine idle was rough with smell of unburnt petrol in the air
(If it was the HFM engine - then it maybe a simple cable adjustment, to a bad wiring harness to a bad throttle motor - throttle motor = USD 1200/- for a rebuilt) If jetronic then the idle controller is bad.
3. Air con / fan / blower was not working. ( i tried all the buttons)
(maybe fuse or bad control unit)
4. Parking lights / speedometer lights were not working. (light switch gone bad (USD 40/- for new part - if just dash lights not working then try spinning the left knob on the cluster if it illuminates then the rheostat is bad)
5. Rear headrests did not fall down on pressing of the button
(disconnected vacuum line to the headrests)
6. Trunk lid would not close, most likely some problem with the lock.
Closed it on 5th attempt. (lock lube)
7. Bonnet interior cloth was replaced with a foam sheet
(acceptable as the original material is foam+fabric)
8.The black strip below the wiper was not in place and windscreen bottom was exposed on one side.
(was it one piece rubber or 3 piece plastic type) - one piece rubber item is held into a plastic groove in the bottom of the glass, if someone forces the rubber into place without cleanup and lubing with soap the plastic groove will break - this is required to take out the blower motor) - I can show you pictures if you want - just recently lubricated the motor in my car
9. Some interior fittings were not in place like the plastic cover on the inside of door pillar.
The middle pillar cover if plastic type can break off its mounting tab, a simple repair with a piece of metal, a drill and two rivets fixes that.
Engine was washed and polished. Body seemed ok. I went actually just before maghrib and light levels were falling down.. I will contact the owner and see the car again in daylight.
Check the undercarriage for transmission leaks, specially check the rear suspension arms by trying to move them sideways with a large screwdriver, if they move they need replacement, check the rear subframe mounts by simply feeling the front ones washer plates, if they are flush with the subframe the mounts are bad and the car will drive like a ricksha.
Specially check the front ball joints - they are not replaceable on this model, the entire arm needs to be replaced if they are worn out, If someone has replaced the arm in the past with the old style with replaceable joints then you might be in luck as the joints for that type arm are cheap.
Also check the Dshaft joints and specially check the transmission behaviour when its warmed up.