How to safely remove a dried bird dropping
If you have a completely dried bird dropping on your car's finish, and you DON'T have access to a water hose with free flowing water, then instead of wiping it off with a spray detailer or worse, scrubbing it off, do this instead,
- Take a clean microfiber polishing cloth, fold it four ways to create a thick, plush wiping cloth.
- Next, spray one side with your favorite spray detailer, the idea is to hyper-lubricate the entire face of one side.
- Next place it onto the dried bird dropping.
- Wet the cloth with water until the entire cloth is saturated but not to the point where water is running down the hood. The idea is to have plenty of water present to soak into the dried bird dropping.
- Let the wet cloth stand on the dried bird dropping for 5-10 minutes.
- Now, carefully enclose the wet-microfiber around the bird dropping using your hand and fingers , you're trying to carefully bunch-up the microfiber and then LIFT the bird dropping off the paint. Don't simply wipe the bird dropping over the paint.
Simulated bird dropping that has landed on the middle of the hood. In the real world, bird droppings contain Uric Acid and if not removed in a very short period of time they can actually eat through a coating of wax or paint sealant and etch or eat into the paint.
Simulated bird dropping using Meguiar's M205 with a little Finishing Glaze mixed on top for visual effect. Note, because the focus of this how-to article is on technique, we did not let the polishes dry as that's not a good practice but we think you'll get the idea.
Mist on a wet or heavy application of your favorite spray detailer detailer to hyper-lubricate one folded side.
Gently place the wet side of the microfiber onto the bird dropping.
Now add water to saturate your microfiber but don't add so much that you have water running off the hood. Allow 5-10 minutes to pass so the water can soak into the dried bird dropping in an effort to re-liquefy to make it soft so as to reduce the potential of instilling any swirls and scratches from dried bird dropping being rubbed against the paint.
Now carefully use your hand to scrunch or bunch up the microfiber around the now liquefied bird dropping and then lift the bird dropping up and off the paint. Don't simply wipe the bird dropping over the paint.
Give the area a final wipe using a new, clean fresh microfiber polishing towel using your favorite spray detailer.
Bird Dropping Etchings
If you notice any etching in the paint left by the bird dropping you'll need to use a compound, paint cleaner or swirl mark remover by hand or machine to carefully remove the etching and then afterwards polish the paint to a high gloss and re-apply your favorite wax or paint sealant.
Source: How to safely remove a dried bird dropping - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online