Actually I think most of your question s have already been answered so I havent replied, I am still proud that I had one of the cleanest/unaltered 60, the only reason I sold it, was to upgrade to newer SUV and to make it my daily runner as well, secondly if I wont have sold my 60, i would have gone lift kit and MTs, so I thought couple of months (one of the difficult decision of my life) before making my decision whether to spend more on her or to sell it and upgrade.
1. I had 2H, 3980cc, non turbo engine with 425000 kms driven without overhauling and even nozzles were still original, giving 7.5-8.3 km/l in city, it was having 5 speed manual transmission, max 11 km/l wo AC on highway @ 100 km/h.
2. Al hamd o lillah I havent encountered any problem regarding engine, transmission and differentials. Vehicle was all original but not maintained well, so I did changed all its oils, filters, belts, leaking seals, suspension bushes, shocks, tie rod ends, brake booster, generator, self, batteries, alot of faulty relays, lights, thermostat valve, new sound system etc, did all the preventive maintainence in short and the most costly item was new Yokohama Geolandar AT/s. I spent almost 350k on her, but now she was not having a single rupee work left, and my confidence was never let down by her, even if I had to go to skardu by middle of night, all I needed was to fill the tank, thats all, al hamd o lillah.
3. I made my trip to Naran-Babusar-Astore-Rama-Chilum-Deosai-Skardu-Shigar-Khaplu-Hunza and way back in Aug 2013, here is the link:
For bumpy roads you can decrease the air pressure to 27 psi and it will be quite comfortable.
4. These SUVs are not designed for high speed motorway cruising, it aerodynamics is too bad, you can get 11km/l wo AC @ 90km/h and 8.5 km/l @110km/h. Air resistance is a major factor.
5. I came to know that my thermostat valve is not working properly when we were in Deosai, so I came back to Lahore and got it checked and to my surprise it was still original one, and it was getting struck when it gets hot, so I got new one in two to three weeks after ordering and replaced, no issue afterwards, I put Toyota Anti Freeze Coolant that works upto -37C, before visiting Kalam in Feb 2013, and the beast got started in second self even in -11C, I put 4 gallons of coolant and it costed me Rs. 9500 alone :o, here is the link enjoy:
It was having a single alteration thats was an after market AC, as it was London model GX originally.
So i would recommend to get an un altered SUV and spend money on her slowly.
You will find answer to your each and every question in the link below:
60-Series Wagons | IH8MUD Forum
I kept on reading this forum for hours, in order to search for my probelms and I figured out almost all the probelms by myself.
In case you need further info, do let me know, you are more than welcome.
I came to know about the meanings of two statements by my HJ60 experience:
1. A non turbo diesel engine is half the engine. But good for newbies.
2. Jeep is a way of life, my kids regularly ask me when are we getting our new Jeep (A)?
Welcome to Jeep family.