Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default missing problem in Vitz and black smoke

Hello all,

I need a lil help in troubleshooting... my car was having a problem of losing RPM on signals 6 months ago... so i got tappets reworked from Nazir autos islamabad... i paid around 14K for whole thing... inculding valve replaced and other things... those vibrations and droping RPM problem was solved... but after that it has been 6 months my car is not running fine on petrol and a lot of black smoke is there on petrol... even plugs and throttle body all gets carbon black within few days after tuning... and car is having missing problem as well... now i cant even drive it uphill due to missing problem and low torque at low RPMs..

can anyone help me on this?? as i've been visiting different mechanics and no one has yet firgured out the exact problem.. i dont want to get head opened again

or guide me to right guy who can fix this...

Thanks
    Bold and Dynamic... Second to None

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

forgot to mention... it is 2002 model with 1SZ-FE and auto transmission

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

incorrect fueling, seems that you are getting too much fuel in your engine and it is not getting burned. most liekly it is due to your plugs having an incorrect gap (set for use with CNG)
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks storm bro.. but i've replaced plugs 3 times but no cure yet ... pehlay CNG pe theek thi but now its missing on CNG as well... secondly if i reset ecu, it runs fine for 1 or 2 days then again same problem

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

hello

just try it,,,if ur vitz has a exhaust filter attached at the exhaust manifold,,many vitz have this filter attaced ..open the engine top ..seee the exhaust pipe from engine if there is a filter attached just get that removed from any cylencer wala ,,,i had a problem with my vitz i also discovered after wasting alot of money and time..dnt replace filter it is to reduce the carbon emission from exhaust ,,,try if it helps

tc

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks Faiz... but i got this cat converter removed 2 years ago...

exhaust is fine i think.... can there be any problem with intake??

plz help

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Check the oxygen (O2) sensor,i think it is not functioning properly.
    Never loose hope in life,every step gives u something.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks... how to check oxygen sensor... can i do it myself??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ur car is drinking more petrol, just tune up and set the mixture.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Did you check with Nazir autos again for any computer adj problems. Are you getting that malfunction light. If the light is on then by default the car gets some engine vibration. If the light is off and you are getting same problem on CNG and petrol then it should be minor else get it checked on the computer from Nazir. Lastly if you are getting problem at either CNG or Petrol but not both then some fuel/ gas problem again minor.

This is the best guess I could come up with
    "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

check engine light is ON both on petrol and CNG... i have taken my car almost 4 times to Nazir autos to get alarm checked... they always reset ECU and car behaves ok... then after 2 days again same problem.... so guy there asked me to get CNG off and only then he can get it fixed.. this is something annoying.. as car was fine on both fuels so now i simply dont want to take it again to them... can you plz refer to someone better in this regard??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

O2 sensor is installed on exhaust manifold, get it cleaned, u can do this job ur self.If u have multimeter then check it's impedance.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i do have multimeter with me... what impedance should it have?? can u guide me a little please?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@hamad
    The tip of any electronic sensor in car is very sensitive and made of carbon like material be careful not to clean it. If at all you need to clean it do it with a blower. So when checking impedence try not to touch it
    "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ur car is tuned for CNG(n)
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@hamad ahsan, Impedance of O2 sensor varies according to temperature,but in cold state meter shows infinity.Warm up the engine and check the voltage at the connector of O2 sensor when engine rpm is about 2000, ( multi meter's positve lead to be connected to the wire attached with sensor and negative lead to negative terminal of battery or any metal parts of body or engine ) at this time multi meter should show 0.45 volt.If reading differs,it means sensor is bad.Digital multi meter must be used for this measurement.Read the following article it may be useful to u,

OXYGEN SENSOR: INSPECTION AND TESTING

O2 sensor usually performs unnoticed for at least 50,000 to 60,000 miles. If you suspect your sensor has failed, or is not operating up to specifications, there are several inspections and tests that can be performed before laying out the money for a new sensor.

The first point of inspection should be the connector for the sensor. Because an O2 sensor's output is a very small voltage (1 volt or less), any problem at its connection can cause the output to be erroneous. Make sure this connection is free from corrosion, grease. or any other foreign substance. Also check that the sensor's wires are not damaged, especially from heat from the exhaust manifold.

The O2 sensor, which looks like an overweight spark plug can be found between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter Once again carry out an inspection, this time of the area surrounding the sensor An oxygen sensor must have a free flow of ambient air to com pare with the exhaust gas in order to function properly. If a sensor is blocked by mud or other trash and can not `breathe" it will not function.

With the inspections completed, test the output of the sensor with your Digital Multi-Meter. Don't make the mistake of using an older generation analog meter to test the sensor, as possible damage to the electronics of the DME computer and the O2 sensor can result.

There will either be a one, three, or four wire O2 sensor. With only one wire, there's no problem determining which wire is the signal wire. If it is a three or four wire system and you don't have an Electronic Trouble Shooting manual to look up the details of the wires, there is a simple method to determine which wire is the signal wire. Place your DMM in the DC volt position and attach the black common test lead to a good chassis ground. Then find the O2 sensor's connector and disconnect it from the car's computer With the engine running, use the red test lead (positive) to probe the wires of the O2 sensor. Only one wire should have an output and it should be under one volt.

Once you find the correct wire, stop the engine and reconnect the sensor You will then need to break out the signal from the sensor with it still connected to the computer. You can spliced in a short test wire which enables you to test the sensor at any time. You could also use a test lead end that has a small alligator clip with a piercing tooth that can penetrate the wire's insulation.

With the sensor hooked up to the meter, restart the engine and let it warm up to normal operating temperature. Set the meter to DC volts and then set it to use the four volt range. If your meter has the ability to record minimum,maximum, and average voltage readings. Use this feature as it allows you to record and save the O2 sensor's signal the whole time it's under test. With the engine at temperature, run the throttle up to 2000 RPM and hold it for 30 seconds and then release it. Goose the throttle once and then press the meters hold button. This locks in all the voltage readings captured during the test. If your sensor is working properly, the minium voltage should be under 0.200 DC volts, the maximum at least 0.700 DC volts and the average close to 0.450 DC volts. A rich running engine would show a much higher average. Use the chart as a simple guide for diagnosing oxygen sensors.

OXYGEN SENSOR TEST RESULTS

Min Max Average TestResults ------- ------- ------- ----------------------------------

200 700 400-500 Oxygen Sensor is OK

]200 NA 400-500 Replace Sensor

NA 700 400-500 Replace Sensor

<200 700 400 Running lean

<200 <700 <400 System is lean. Enrichen mixture to see if the sensor reacts, if not, replace sensor.

<200 700 ]500 Running rich

]200 ]700 ]500 System is rich. Lean mixture to see if the sensor reacts,if not, replace sensor. All numbers in milli volts (mV).

Another important test to consider is how fast a sensor reacts to a mixture change. Check this by forcing the engine lean (remove the oil filler cap during engine operation), and then rich (inject propane into the air inlet, or restrict the flow of intake air). A properly functioning sensor should change voltages instantly. Faulty sensors generally lock onto one voltage and do not cycle up and down. Shorted sensors will read 0 volts.

Of course, it goes without saying, you should never condemn the O2 sensor unless you're sure the rest of the engine is running properly. There are many engine problems could point out a leaky fuel injector would cause a higher then average O2 sensor reading, a torn intake hose would cause a lean mixture, etc.

One final caution, some people are under the impression that disconnecting the O2 sensor will benefit them and give them more power This is not the case. The sensor is a very important component in the engine management system and is there to fine tune the fuel injection system and give you an optimum running engine.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks argtr65...

i'll measure volts today and will share the results...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AOA hamad_ahsan,

would it be possible for you to post solution/fix on this thread.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List