Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Understanding gear shifting Vitz 2004 Automatic

Hi PakWheelers,

I have recently bought Vitz 2004 1000 CC automatic and just want to learn something which I couldn't figure until yet. I am new to automatic transmission so my question is of novice nature but I hope someone who is experienced can easily and quickly answer this.

I normally drive with light foot and feel gear shifting at the speed of

0 --> 14-16 (then it shifts to 2nd gear)
    14-16 --> 28-30 (then it shifts to 3rd gear)
    28-30 --> 42-44 (then it shifts to 4th gear)

My question is when we say it is a 4 speed vehicle does it mean it has 4 gears? but as the maximum speed is 160 KM/h so does it mean it goes from 42-44 KM/h upto 160 KM/h in 4th gear?

Also if I turn O/D off then how does it affect the gear shifting based on above understanding?

* The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits *

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by quaidian View Post
    What I understand from the discussion, for better fuel efficiency one should use light foot, allow gear shifting earlier at lower RPM and keep O/D turned on to fully use the top gear. Is there any harm to engine with this kind of less-aggressive driving?
    no harm
    ~ Be a responsible citizen and always drive safely ~

3. 20-04-2012, 12:42 PM

Site Banned

Reason
    Spam

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by JuGnO View Post
    For a prosmetic and probably all automatics, how much the gas paddle is pressed tells the ecu (electronic control unit) of the car how aggressively you want to drive the car.
    If you just press the peddle very slightly it will accellerate and change gears as if you are driving a manual with a relaxed and laid back manner, that is not accelerating too fast and just changing gear on the earliest possible moment considering the performance position of the engine.
    My civic prosmetic changes gear at this stage when the rmp is just between 2.5k and 3k and if i am on a strait road it generally tries to keep the rmp between 2k and 2.5k
    This is the most fuel efficient
    My civic has no problem in this scenario as many would think that i am killing the engine as the engine has enough torque to move the car with ease, it goes to around 80km/h and i am still getting a 2k rpm and i effectively use this in Islamabad in my commute. and its not harm in getting to the next level when needed

If you press the pedal hard the ecu detects that you are driving the car more aggressively and thus it changes the gear in a more aggressive manner and that is it takes longer to change gears and lets the engine rev up more than before. In this situation my civic prosmetic changes gear after reving up to about 3.5k to 4k and tries to keep the rpm at around 3k to 3.5k
    This gives good acceleration but consumes more fuel

if you really go hard and press the pedal to the floor the ecu in a civic prosmetic go to the most aggressive setting and red lining the rmp before every change that is going even beyond 5.5k before changing and tries to keep the rmp as high as possible
    this is the most effective for very high acceleration as it uses all the power range of the engine, but its the most fuel hungry

When ever you move from one setting to the lower (by pressing the pedal down further into that range) the ecu shifts down from the current gear. If you are moving in the first and most laid back stage and you press the pedal to the floor the ecu shifts down two gear at once.

And you dont need to lift the foot to change the gear, you just need to adjust it so the ecu does not think that you want to go harder on acceleration. But yes sometimes just letting some pressure off the pedal will make the ecu engage the top gear if its not engaged yet. sometimes my civic even engages the overdrive and goes below 2k when in the first scenario

I hope it helps
    thanks for the detailed reply,it was very informative and helped alot
    i usually keep a light foot,and floor it when i get empty road
    so i guess heavy n light foot cancel out the effect of each other

one thing if i am going with a light foot around 30-40
    n then floor it,it takes alot of time to speed up,no? or maybe i'll try it some time without lifting the foot for gear change
    now thats one of the reason y i was facing low average before lol

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you are tootling along at 40 km/h with a feather pedal your trans will be in overdrive, if you floor the accelerator at this point your transmission will downshift to 2 and accelerate quick. Keep it pressed full and shifts will only occur at redline.

There is no need to get ECU fizooliyat here, even in carburettor cars with no ECU, the transmissions behaved like this, they were fully hydraulic and their shifts were governed by the delicate balance between the kick down cable pressure and governor pressure.

Newer transmissions are ECU controlled to fine tune the shift points, the kickdown cable is removed and the TPS is doing its job, the speed governor is removed because the VSS is doing its job, shifts are electronically controlled by solenoids.

Both kinds have 95% same driving experience.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    If you are tootling along at 40 km/h with a feather pedal your trans will be in overdrive, if you floor the accelerator at this point your transmission will downshift to 2 and accelerate quick. Keep it pressed full and shifts will only occur at redline.

There is no need to get ECU fizooliyat here, even in carburettor cars with no ECU, the transmissions behaved like this, they were fully hydraulic and their shifts were governed by the delicate balance between the kick down cable pressure and governor pressure.

Newer transmissions are ECU controlled to fine tune the shift points, the kickdown cable is removed and the TPS is doing its job, the speed governor is removed because the VSS is doing its job, shifts are electronically controlled by solenoids.

Both kinds have 95% same driving experience.
    by 40km/h i meant like if i just reached 40 not that i was driving at 40 all the time
    thought today i was ill and i had to move in just one sector around 4km n all the time car was at 20km/hr at max
    does that hurts engine?it was like driving the car in 1st or 2nd gear (auto)

also if you move the car fastly over bumps n holes,doesnt that hurts suspension?
    i always go extremely slow on them n the other cars get impatient even honda's n overtake like em driving a turtle lol
    i wonder they dont care for suspension of the car or what

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rustam54 View Post
    Wait a minute, are'nt you the same guy who was very touchy with his cultus and cursed his father for no particular reason. And now you say who gives a "fu*k" when you screwed an auto??? WOW.

How about daddy cursing you now, rather "confront" you now (as i recall the exact words) if it was done on his money???

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/eng...rk#post3203027

@Poster. Sorry for being off topic-Ajkal k bachay kuch zyada hi shareer hn. Koi kuch keh day to pehlay fancy ho jatay hn (e.g. who gives a fu*k), phir pappa ko shikayat lagatay hn (report abuse). Hope you get the point
    Bachay?. Am I talking to you?. Who made you an authority?. I can pretty much do anything with my car and much more. What is your deal?. You and your neanderthal brained replies. Don't quote me. Go live your life, a self righteous life.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post
    who gives a fu*k. I had to try it.
    God Bless your father ^
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very nice thread
    They gear shifts shurely depends on ur foot alot. yet if u use it like L 2 And D which not good for gear 1s gear limit 58kms 2nd gear limit 102kms n if u wanna use only 3rd gear switch off Overdrive i never did tht since 1000cc per itna zulm acha nai lolz.
    Yet on paddle to the metal on D my car does 53 on first n 98 on 2nd
    DIY The Best Workshop on the Holy Planet!
    Every thing changes,Its only the "change" which never changes.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    God Bless your father ^
    Yup. Your tiny brain has once more assumed something out of thin air. God bless you.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have driven a vitz of the same era and i believe it has only three gears.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

moji bassss intna batawo ke O/D on off kasy hota hain ? secreen main O/D off light on hooo tooo is ka matlab kia hain O/D on hain ya off..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by NakedTruth View Post
    Keep the overdrive button pressed for better mileage. If you are driving fast, then unpress/release it.

(Civic auto experience) I pressed the accelerator pedal softly and it drove and shifted gears quickly into higher gears for more mileage but as soon I gave it more gas, it down-shifted asap. So to drive fast, keep the pedal pressed.

I heard people saying that no burnouts on auto trans, so I floored the accelerator and shifted the gear from P to drive. A good burnout followed and that bs about no burnout on auto was debunked.

You can't shifted gear from P to D directly onwards it is R. Be careful otherwise someone else will burn you out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List