Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Removing Catalytic Converter

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    shapik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Question Removing Catalytic Converter

    My friend has suggested removing the catalytic converter of my vitz 2010. According to him the Cat conerter is for foriegn grade fuels and in pakistan it does not function well due to bad quality of fuel. Once the catalytic converter stops working properly my engine will start knocking then it will be too late to remove the converter......


    is my friend right ? :s should i be removing the catalytic converter when everything seems to be running well for now?


  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    shapik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    bump

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    jigzyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    hmmm ... subscribing the topic. sorry no idea, I am still looking for answers too, lol

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    FarhanAnwarKhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    The cat is usually removed when it is blocked in pkdm we take it off after 40k and if you feel that your cars performance or pick has dropped then have it removed its not a big deal...

    Sent from my HTC Rhyme S510b using PW Forums mobile app
    JDM Always 2 STEPs AHEAD..........

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hash4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,378
    Follows
    18
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    3
    Good Answers
    13

    Default

    if u drive on super fuel
    sooner or later it will be clogged
    sadly nobody cares much about green emissions here.people take it out and throw it away
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    irfansiddique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,765
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    4
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    dont remove unless its clogged. its not a good idea. symptoms are poor mileage, poor pick up, loss of performance etc.

  7. #7
    PakWheeler Follow
    mwanwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    36
    Posts
    538
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shapik View Post
    My friend has suggested removing the catalytic converter of my vitz 2010. According to him the Cat conerter is for foriegn grade fuels and in pakistan it does not function well due to bad quality of fuel. Once the catalytic converter stops working properly my engine will start knocking then it will be too late to remove the converter......


    is my friend right ? :s should i be removing the catalytic converter when everything seems to be running well for now?
    AOA

    sir it can be easily cleaned this is one of the most expensive parts of the car , new one for civic is 85k

    local mechanics they do not know anything about it they just know to remove it and break it so if u r facing any issues get it cleaned mine was choked and got it cleaned from Honda

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    irfansiddique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,765
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    4
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    as per my info there is no such thing as CAT cleaning, pls reconfirm before doing it.

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    mwanwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    36
    Posts
    538
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by irfansiddique View Post
    as per my info there is no such thing as CAT cleaning, pls reconfirm before doing it.
    sir i have done this from Honda and i have also seen videos at you tube it can be done and people do that

    Honda recommend that to clean it after every 20,000 km

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    irfansiddique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,765
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    4
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ok thats something new for me, i will definitely check it.

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    Atif3carsz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Catalytic Converter exhaust system sy burning air or fuel ratio check krta hai or fuel ko kam ya zaida karta hai ECU sy. Agar is ko nikal do gy to fuel average distrub ko ge.
    Honda Specialist
    www.MeharMotor.com

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Vajih102's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,339
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    391 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    If you take out a CHOKED converter, mileage will increase and performance will improve in terms ov pick and speed.

    I recommend you to get it cleaned till you feel a difference. When not, chuck it out. A three year old cat however is too new to be thrown away.

    Follow vot irfansiddique has said after cleaning it.

    Sent from my Sony Xperia U

  13. #13
    PakWheeler Follow
    jigzyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    What exactly is CAT filter, how can I locate it on my vitz '07 new shape? My mileage is poor, around 8 km / l.

  14. #14
    PakWheeler Follow
    outofcontrol77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    39
    Posts
    240
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    well, i have civic 04 ferio , 6 months ago i had the same problem my car was blocked , no pick and it wasnt even changing gears (its automatic) none mechanics could find the fault but an uncle suggested that the cat converter is blocked so i had it removed and now the car runs dayyumm fast as compared to when the cat converter was in it. The converter is for overseas fuels as they dont have pollutions and the fuel is very fine. BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM THE SILENCER SOUNDS ALOT YOU MUST HAVE SEEN CIVICS,VITZ AND MOSTLY JDM CARS HAVE THIS SOUND . WHEN WE RUN OR START THE CAR THE SILENCER MAKES THE NOISE AND THATS TOO BAD. otherwise no problem removing it. thankyou AND IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO FINISH THAT SOUND PLEASE SUGGEST.
    The owners of Simla Cloth Stores.

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by outofcontrol77 View Post
    well, i have civic 04 ferio , 6 months ago i had the same problem my car was blocked , no pick and it wasnt even changing gears (its automatic) none mechanics could find the fault but an uncle suggested that the cat converter is blocked so i had it removed and now the car runs dayyumm fast as compared to when the cat converter was in it. The converter is for overseas fuels as they dont have pollutions and the fuel is very fine. BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM THE SILENCER SOUNDS ALOT YOU MUST HAVE SEEN CIVICS,VITZ AND MOSTLY JDM CARS HAVE THIS SOUND . WHEN WE RUN OR START THE CAR THE SILENCER MAKES THE NOISE AND THATS TOO BAD. otherwise no problem removing it. thankyou AND IF SOMEONE KNOWS HOW TO FINISH THAT SOUND PLEASE SUGGEST.
    Your new cars have post cat O2 sensors, if you remove the cat say goodbye to any sort of "qasam se bhai sola ka average hai isska" or any longevity from the engine.

    The precat O2 will also be a bit muddled up and will eventually kill fuel economy. but that doesnt matter because mechanic ustaad already would have removed the thermostat valve and your car will also be running on CNG - so ECU is actually not doing anything at all.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  16. #16
    PakWheeler Follow
    jigzyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Multan
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Your new cars have post cat O2 sensors, if you remove the cat say goodbye to any sort of "qasam se bhai sola ka average hai isska" or any longevity from the engine.

    The precat O2 will also be a bit muddled up and will eventually kill fuel economy. but that doesnt matter because mechanic ustaad already would have removed the thermostat valve and your car will also be running on CNG - so ECU is actually not doing anything at all.
    @Xulfiqar Bhai, How can I locate the CAT on my vitz? I have recently bought it and I don't know if the previous owner have it removed or it's been there? I'd like to get it cleaned, not looking to get it removed though (I hope so that none of the previous owners removed it).. Anyway, my silencer always makes "whistle" kind of noises (on idle state), why is this?

  17. #17
    PakWheeler Follow
    shapik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    So....after reading the above comments , can i conclude:

    When you remove catalytic convertor
    Car power/acceleration goes up!
    Car fuel efficiency goes down!
    Catalytic converter is only good for avoiding harmful emmisions (which as a pakistani i dont give a **** about)
    Catalytic converter MUST be removed, as it will not last very long provided the quality of fuel in pakistan.

    apart from the fuel efficiency issue i don't find any reason not to remove the Cat Convertor

  18. #18
    PakWheeler Follow
    LionKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Hi Folks,

    That's a really good thread actually INSHALLAH my Vitz 2010 1.0 is about to arrive next month on karachi port.

    I was wondering is there precautionary measures we can take avoid the clogging of the Catalylic convertor, what I was thinking from day 1 I will try to fill up my tank with 30% Hi-Octane and 70% with Normal petrol (super)

    Would this will help me down the road to avoid such situation.

    Also I have read the following thread posted on some where where this guy mentions a workaround to how to tackle the Clogg CAT

    Gari.pk • removing the catalytic converter in vitz : Exhaust System

  19. #19
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Xulfiqar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Other
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,402
    Follows
    131
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shapik View Post
    So....after reading the above comments , can i conclude:

    When you remove catalytic convertor
    Car power/acceleration goes up!
    Car fuel efficiency goes down!
    Catalytic converter is only good for avoiding harmful emmisions (which as a pakistani i dont give a **** about)
    Catalytic converter MUST be removed, as it will not last very long provided the quality of fuel in pakistan.

    apart from the fuel efficiency issue i don't find any reason not to remove the Cat Convertor
    The engine ECU is tuned with it, when cold it really dumps fuel into the engine to start the converter (it requires heat to function) - its most usual failure cause is excessive fuel in the engine (spraying fuel in the intake to aid starting, misfiring, removing thermostat valve etc. But if the converter is broken inside already then get a replacement.

    The entire exhaust system is also designed very free flowing and scavenge type because the converter was part of it.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

  20. #20
    PakWheeler Follow
    aakbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    930
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    1
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    The engine ECU is tuned with it, when cold it really dumps fuel into the engine to start the converter (it requires heat to function) - its most usual failure cause is excessive fuel in the engine (spraying fuel in the intake to aid starting, misfiring, removing thermostat valve etc. But if the converter is broken inside already then get a replacement.

    The entire exhaust system is also designed very free flowing and scavenge type because the converter was part of it.
    Here in Pakistan even Toyota and Honda folks don't sell the new Cat converter, perhaps due to the fact that not many people would like to replace it with old n choked ones in their car. Question is, what to do in such a scenario? get it imported? Toyota 3S guys told me today that cleaning is not possible, the only way is to get it replaced or removed. oh forgot to tell you my Vitz 2007 was diagnosed with choked Cat converter today eve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •