107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Timing Chain Rattle - Toyota Vitz 99 - 04

I have a Toyota Vitz 2002, around 190,000 km driven, The car is making a "keter keter" sound after a specific time interval, This isnt being noticed once the car is being driven its only there on idle position.

Previously the mechanic was trying to change the main fan belt pulley as it was thought the was is coming from the pulley bearing.

My mechanic questioned me if i was replacing oil on time, And recommended me to change the engine oil 2 to 3 times in a short interval because the sound could be because of the oil being old and used to much. The sound is still there i have replaced the oil around 1500 kms back only once. might change it at 2500 kms.

But since the car has done 190,000 kms. Is it safe to change the timing chain before things get worse. As i have heard if one doesn't changes the timing belt and it breaks igniting the car could damage engine valves causing irreparable or high cost repairs. So does it works the same for timing chains aswell.

Other then that the car drives fantastic, Late/long initial/morning starts are there but that i think is because of a weak fuel pump.

Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

it is timing chain & sprocket need to be checked & if needed change both from OEM parts,

Timing belts are changed every 80,000 km while timing chains are for life time, in a toyota workshop manual for vvti engines timing chain replacement was suggested at approx 200,000 kms. Time is ripe to change and stay safe

- more - i missed the lines from the last para in my notepad - edited 3.23PM

What usually rattle happens is the the timing chain guides wear or the timing chain tensioner fails causing the timing chain to rattle. What causes the timing chain tensioner to fail; is poor oil change schedules; the tensioner is oil feed and the orfice gets plugged with oil sludge from the lack of oil changes.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List