0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Black Smoke in Vitz

The car in particular is a 2007 vitz with 3-cylinder 1kre-fe engine. Its giving me primarily two problems; low mileage and black smoke. There is also a slight decrease in pick of the car.

To solve the mileage issue, I took out the injectors and MAP sensor. Leak, uniformity etc tests were performed on Ultra-sonic injector cleaning machine and the injectors were found to be OK. The MAP sensor had some oily residue on it and it was cleaned using carb cleaner spray.

The spark plugs were replaced last month so didnt bother with them. Pressure test showed 130 psi in each cylinder upon ignition. Oil level was reduced to somewhere in the middle between the points on the dip stick. I changed the oil but used SAE-50 oil this time upon the mechanic's recommendation (was using 10w-30 previously).

As a result, the petrol smell in exhaust has reduced but black smoke is still there. I will check if there is any change in fuel consumption later this week.

Any help in solving the black smoke issue will be appreciated. Thanks!

"Mian, mainey to tumharay abba ko bhi theek kia hai...."- Baba Hassan.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

black smoke means un-burnt fuel ... lets assess what could be the reason

-- irregular timing .. some vibration will accompany .. these ecu controlled coils shouldn't give irregular timing
    -- weak coils ... pick should be less and some dots like holes in coil where current is leaking
    -- sensor on the exhaust giving in correct reading .. either it works or it doesn't
    -- mixture setting .. there is an adjustment somewhere near the idle control valve / sensor and changing it doe change idle rpm but i'm not sure if it is the mixture setting (google mixture setting and u may find it)
    -- bad fuel (slight knocking should be there)
    -- chocked exhaust .. should include less pick and vibration
    -- maybe a weak engine .. you assessment of black smoke is wrong then .. it could be white or blue

i didn't include gear or valve problems as we can get there later ... if the engine seems chocked try filling half tank with hi-ocyane take car on a long drive wher u can touch 120kmph for 5-10 mins ... the excessive pressure sometimes clears chocked areas
    --
    "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sometimes the culprit is something as simple as a choked airfilter!
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Most probably is due to rich air/fuel ratio. Check the following:

1) Replace air filter
    2) Check / replace lambda (O2) sensor.
    3) Check the jacket water temperature sensor.
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

symptoms posted suggest possible O2 sensor failure & a bad cat converter. Finger the tail pipe and check the soot does it have some moisture or dry ? how does it smell? oily or fuely ?
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nasty_faizan View Post
    The car in particular is a 2007 vitz with 3-cylinder 1kre-fe engine. Its giving me primarily two problems; low mileage and black smoke. There is also a slight decrease in pick of the car.

To solve the mileage issue, I took out the injectors and MAP sensor. Leak, uniformity etc tests were performed on Ultra-sonic injector cleaning machine and the injectors were found to be OK. The MAP sensor had some oily residue on it and it was cleaned using carb cleaner spray.

The spark plugs were replaced last month so didnt bother with them. Pressure test showed 130 psi in each cylinder upon ignition. Oil level was reduced to somewhere in the middle between the points on the dip stick. I changed the oil but used SAE-50 oil this time upon the mechanic's recommendation (was using 10w-30 previously).

As a result, the petrol smell in exhaust has reduced but black smoke is still there. I will check if there is any change in fuel consumption later this week.

Any help in solving the black smoke issue will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Are u judging the black smoke with soot on the tail pipe, or is it the visible black smoke from tail pipe upon acceleration?
    Minor amount of soot on the exhaust tail pipe is normal.
    Accelerate the engine and ask some one to observe the exhaust for black smoke.
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List