Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ahmed2396
  • 1 Post By judgevt

Thread: Inside engine whats really happening when climbing hill (Vitz)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Inside engine whats really happening when climbing hill (Vitz)

AssalamoElaikum,
    I am having toyota vitz 2005 for more than a year and its a great car when it comes to fuel economy and other life saving features like ABS and Air Bags as compared to cultus santro etc.
    recently i changed its engine due to the smokey previous engine which was already driven to 115k km's when i bought it.
    with the new engine the car is now giving me mileage of almost 19 to 20 km/l on highway and i am satisfied with its performance.

i mostly travel from Islamabad to Lahore and back via Motorway when we enter salt range speed limit is 50kmph but i am afraid of pushing gas paddle too far to attain 50kmph because it hardly attains the speed no matter how far we press the gas paddle plus i really want to know if pushing gas paddle too far will harm the engine as engine will not be attaining the speed only it will be delivering torque its basically a trade off between speed and torque for example on a straight road at lets say paddle is pushed to 45% out of 100% and the speed will be lets say 75kmph but entering salt range with the 45% paddle pushed the speed will start decreasing to maybe 25 to 30kmph why the speed is decreasing and if i keep the paddle constant there will be knocking in the engine which is demanding more fuel to keep up the pace...

i want to know what is happening inside engine at that moment when speed is decreasing on hilly area and we are applying more fuel into the engine and engine is working hard to generate torque to climb the hill what if i apply full throttle while climbing will it put extra burden on the engine or what will happen if i apply full throttle while climbing as naturally engine cannot accelerate at that point but will burn the excess amount of fuel.......
    kindly someone explain.
    thanks.
    Regards:
    Waqas

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There's not enough torque in your engine to hold its speed,putting your foot down isn't going to help in this situation you need to change down a gear and relieve the strain on your engine.load is what heats up your engine and contributes to most wear and tear.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Can you please tell me which engine is currently installed?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I don't think any damage in pressing complete accelerator
    FeeL YoUng DriVE YoUnG......

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I too have experienced that along with every single car climbing up.the salt range has a very steep climb and there are some force maybe magnetic or something .I drove daihatsu move there and the car was making a lot of sound when climbing but the rpm is not that high as the sound of engine.
    Even Honda civic vti 1.5 1998 model was under a lot of stress when making that climb.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jazibdon View Post
    I too have experienced that along with every single car climbing up.the salt range has a very steep climb and there are some force maybe magnetic or something .I drove daihatsu move there and the car was making a lot of sound when climbing but the rpm is not that high as the sound of engine.
    Even Honda civic vti 1.5 1998 model was under a lot of stress when making that climb.
    It depends on how you drive whenever i am in salt range in my previous 2005 vti 1.6 manual i used to put it in 3rd gear at 50km/h it used to climb nicely and my altis 1.8 2007 manual also climbs very nicely in 3rd gear 50km/h. But if you have automatic car that too 1.0L or 660cc then its not wise to fully depress accelerator as poor engine cannot do much there.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    It depends on how you drive whenever i am in salt range in my previous 2005 vti 1.6 manual i used to put it in 3rd gear at 50km/h it used to climb nicely and my altis 1.8 2007 manual also climbs very nicely in 3rd gear 50km/h. But if you have automatic car that too 1.0L or 660cc then its not wise to fully depress accelerator as poor engine cannot do much there.
    Vti was manual and it was in third gear .not saying that there was any problem in climb for both 660 and 1500 car but comparing the climb on a steep slope which comes after crossing the salt range and the one in the salt range .the engine load differ .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The higher the altitude above sea level the thinner the air= less oxygen in the air.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its just a steep climb not enough high altitude to justify thin oxygen otherwise your car will struggle to maintain 120 at the same accelerator position after the climb

in a automatic car you can shift to manual mode or in your case "2" this would relieve the stress and you'll climb, keep your momentum up before the hill if you want

if your engine is in good order theres no harm in fully depressing the accelerator but if it gets to the point that engine wont rev any more or say stuck at 4000rpm and cant go higher because it has run out of power than beck off the assertor a little,

if you really want to know whats happening inside then get a OBD gauge and monitor your car vital signs and accelerator position,
    my 2010 altis requires 40% throttle in D to maintain 70km/h on salt range up hill and requires 24% thorttle to do the same in S2 with rom on 4200rpm.

meanwhile in D the coolant temp in salt range raises from 90C to 98C in climbing which is still normal while in S2 it goes to 93C because i am not lugging the engine(in 45C weather), higher revs also mean it feels lighter and better engine braking and hence control in the sweeping curves as well.

you can also see engine calculated load and it decreases if you shift down

so in your vitz either shift to 2 or keep pressing throttle even to 100% until it shifts down to appreciate gear and you'll make it up the hill with more or less the same speed.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Airian_007 View Post
    AssalamoElaikum,
    I am having toyota vitz 2005 for more than a year and its a great car when it comes to fuel economy and other life saving features like ABS and Air Bags as compared to cultus santro etc.
    recently i changed its engine due to the smokey previous engine which was already driven to 115k km's when i bought it.
    with the new engine the car is now giving me mileage of almost 19 to 20 km/l on highway and i am satisfied with its performance.

i mostly travel from Islamabad to Lahore and back via Motorway when we enter salt range speed limit is 50kmph but i am afraid of pushing gas paddle too far to attain 50kmph because it hardly attains the speed no matter how far we press the gas paddle plus i really want to know if pushing gas paddle too far will harm the engine as engine will not be attaining the speed only it will be delivering torque its basically a trade off between speed and torque for example on a straight road at lets say paddle is pushed to 45% out of 100% and the speed will be lets say 75kmph but entering salt range with the 45% paddle pushed the speed will start decreasing to maybe 25 to 30kmph why the speed is decreasing and if i keep the paddle constant there will be knocking in the engine which is demanding more fuel to keep up the pace...

i want to know what is happening inside engine at that moment when speed is decreasing on hilly area and we are applying more fuel into the engine and engine is working hard to generate torque to climb the hill what if i apply full throttle while climbing will it put extra burden on the engine or what will happen if i apply full throttle while climbing as naturally engine cannot accelerate at that point but will burn the excess amount of fuel.......
    kindly someone explain.
    thanks.
    Regards:
    Waqas
    When climbing hills with auto transmission, to attain torque the gears are to be restricted to lower two and transmission should operate within this range.
    For Vitz auto transmission, put gear lever selection to 'S' when climbing hills. And use selection 'B' when moving down from a steep hill.
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by judgevt View Post
    The higher the altitude above sea level the thinner the air= less oxygen in the air.
    Not applicable in salt range. It's a steep climb but not at a significantly high altitude above sea level to cause oxygen to become less dense.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Are you climbing the hill with D? There is a specific gear for uphill and downhill movement.

As mentioned by other posters above using the appropriate gear will solve your problem if everything else with the car is fine. We had an automatic car about 18 years back so I don't remember any thing any more.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes I usually Climb with D i have S and B gears as well but B is just a first gear as its too low on RPM and S is controversial as on some forums people used to call it as 2nd gear some says its a sport gear which is for rapid acceleration therefore i never tried it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Airian_007 View Post
    Yes I usually Climb with D i have S and B gears as well but B is just a first gear as its too low on RPM and S is controversial as on some forums people used to call it as 2nd gear some says its a sport gear which is for rapid acceleration therefore i never tried it.
    As I have posted earlier, use 'S' selection for climbing steep hills and 'B' (called breaking) for getting down the steep hill.
    Don't leave a highway for a byway....

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List