0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Vitz rear break squealing!!

Ok so everything was working fine until the mechanic did the rear brake servicing by cleaning the drum with sand paper and did some adjustments to brake, now the squealing noise starts coming after like half an hour of car running. The noise only comes when the car is slow and is almost coming to a stop. I have researched around on youtube and I have seen people using brake cleaner spray to clean the rotors/drums, is it safe? my mechanic just cleaned with sandpaper. Please advise as I have gone to him twice and he is not able to figure out the issue. :@

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You have brake shoes in the rear. Hope the are are genuine and not fiddled with by your mechanic.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using PW Forums
    https://www.facebook.com/hidefcars

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brakes were working perfectly before he sandpaper'ed them, he didnt change them. Its weird that something starts making issues after servicing

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Same problem occurred with me on my corolla 2003 se saloon. The procedure of cleaning the brake rotor with sand paper is absolutely wrong. it disturbs the braking profile between the rotor and pads. You will have to live with it until you replace the disc pads with new ones.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Same problem with my Vitz 2005. Replaced worn off drum brake pads with genuine ones but I think I remember, the mechanics rubbed them with sandpaper, before servicing the brakes were salient.

Though it's not squealing but more like dragging sound, as if the drum and brake contacts are uneven.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mohammadalee View Post
    Ok so everything was working fine until the mechanic did the rear brake servicing by cleaning the drum with sand paper and did some adjustments to brake, now the squealing noise starts coming after like half an hour of car running. The noise only comes when the car is slow and is almost coming to a stop. I have researched around on youtube and I have seen people using brake cleaner spray to clean the rotors/drums, is it safe? my mechanic just cleaned with sandpaper. Please advise as I have gone to him twice and he is not able to figure out the issue. :@
    Go back to him. Ask him to open the drums and see if the springs are attached properly to the brake shoes. blow the drum with air so that it can remove all debries of sand paper. Check if the brake pads are new or done?

I happened recently with me too. i went back to mechanic and there was a Hanging spring near to brake shoe. he adjusted it and problem was solved.

BTW where do you live ?
    Be Addicted To Help Others.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tintin1 View Post
    Go back to him. Ask him to open the drums and see if the springs are attached properly to the brake shoes. blow the drum with air so that it can remove all debries of sand paper. Check if the brake pads are new or done?

I happened recently with me too. i went back to mechanic and there was a Hanging spring near to brake shoe. he adjusted it and problem was solved.

BTW where do you live ?
    I am in Rwp. I went back to him like 2 times and all he did was sandpaper it more and more. I am going to get some good brake cleaner and ask clean it with it thoroughly, I have seen several videos on youtube and it looks ok to clean brakes with brake cleaner-- no need for sand paper. If the problem doesnt solve, ill try getting new brake shoes, any idea what genuine brake shoes will cost?

Quote Originally Posted by AlienX View Post
    Same problem with my Vitz 2005. Replaced worn off drum brake pads with genuine ones but I think I remember, the mechanics rubbed them with sandpaper, before servicing the brakes were salient.

Though it's not squealing but more like dragging sound, as if the drum and brake contacts are uneven.
    This is all started when he sand papered them, I regret that day. The sound usually comes after some time of driving and comes at low speed, its like something scratching, may be he adjusted the hand brake to be too tight. God knows.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys need a solution to it. I bought a used vitz and hearing squeaking noises in rear brake drums. I was thinking of changing my rear drum shoes. Thinking that maybe they are not genuine

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What brand of brake shoes and pads are there in your car, make sure they're toyota genuine else oem ones
    Your ego is writing cheques, your body can't cash.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys yesterday I went to my mechanic and got my brakes serviced. The front disc brakes were fine as they still had quite a metal left on them but he sand papered them anyways.
    Now the rear drum brake shoes when opened were almost near their demise and the therefore the squeaking noises. I went to IA traders and asked for the brake shoes and he gave me 1100 walay brake shoes but I asked him to give me genuines and they costed me 3300 Rs. The mechanic again sandpapered the drums before installing them and alhamdullilah by handbrake has tightened upto 3 rachets and rear drums are not squeaking anymore.

Guys please use original shoes as brakes of an automatic car are used way more than the manual car and it is necessary to ensure safety at any cost. The squeaking noise will also not come

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List