Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlienX

Thread: ABS Check light stays on (VITZ 2006)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default ABS Check light stays on (VITZ 2006)

Recently I had this ABS light pop on my dashbaord while driving at 80kms at Shahrah-e-Faisal, gave me scare when I wasn't able to decelerate my car quick enough to avoid collision with the new white cultus driving ahead of my car. Thats something I will remember for a while. Parked the car at a nearby spot and turned the car off, restarted it after taking a few deep breaths and the ABS light came on during ignition as it normally would and went away after the initial boot-up test.

The ABS light came back on when I was driving back home from work (the light didn't come up immediately after starting the car, it came up after about 10-15mins) and I could feel the ABS not working. Took the car to my mechanic, upon his inspection he said all the connections were in place and he needs to get the car scanned to find which sensor has gone bad, which I might get done today.

But before getting it scanned, I have noted a few things which I wanted to share here;

1. Before all this started (this was yesterday) I noticed my right back tyre had low air volume, so I got it back upto 30. And after a drive of about 10-15kms the ABS check light came on (this was the first instance).

2. Today in the morning again I noticed the same tyre had low air volume so I got back to 30 but from a different pump this time, after which the check light didn't come back through my drive of about 20kms and seemingly the ABS was working fine as well.

So what I am guessing here is that light comes on (and subsequently the ABS stops working) when the tyre air volume gets low? Or maybe its some malfunction and I should get it scanned asap.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I suggest you don't play games with your car brakes, get it scanned as soon as possible.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

From info I have read so far on ABS, there are several place where it is stated that the ABS light may come on due to a flat tyre as the system would detect abnormal fast rotation in the flat tyre in comparison to the rotation speed of the other three tyres. Which makes sense to me as this is what the ABS tracks afterall.

This is my first time getting the car scanned, are there any charges for the scanning?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by reaper1111 View Post
    Recently I had this ABS light pop on my dashbaord while driving at 80kms at Shahrah-e-Faisal, gave me scare when I wasn't able to decelerate my car quick enough to avoid collision with the new white cultus driving ahead of my car. Thats something I will remember for a while. Parked the car at a nearby spot and turned the car off, restarted it after taking a few deep breaths and the ABS light came on during ignition as it normally would and went away after the initial boot-up test.

The ABS light came back on when I was driving back home from work (the light didn't come up immediately after starting the car, it came up after about 10-15mins) and I could feel the ABS not working. Took the car to my mechanic, upon his inspection he said all the connections were in place and he needs to get the car scanned to find which sensor has gone bad, which I might get done today.

But before getting it scanned, I have noted a few things which I wanted to share here;

1. Before all this started (this was yesterday) I noticed my right back tyre had low air volume, so I got it back upto 30. And after a drive of about 10-15kms the ABS check light came on (this was the first instance).

2. Today in the morning again I noticed the same tyre had low air volume so I got back to 30 but from a different pump this time, after which the check light didn't come back through my drive of about 20kms and seemingly the ABS was working fine as well.

So what I am guessing here is that light comes on (and subsequently the ABS stops working) when the tyre air volume gets low? Or maybe its some malfunction and I should get it scanned asap.
    I have dealt with this problem with my vitz for years. Here is the solution. Please do not experiment with a vitz, ever, as it's costly to maintain.

What happened to my car was ABS light would come on and off by itself randomly and after some months it stayed on and ABS stopped working. I kept using the car for a year, just had to learn how to feather the breaks. You should never break hard in any car with or without ABS. The function of ABS is to assist you in panic and in emergency situation.

Here is possible solution for you.

1. Do no go to mechanic and open up breaks, it won't do any good. Neither will changing tire pressure.

2. Go to someone with a scanner and get the car scanned. It will tell you which side sensor is not functioning properly. (usually by reading speed sensors, in some cases if tail light is not working or break switch, it also comes on so get those checked first)

3. Once you get the information about which sensor is not sending data or sending incorrect reading. You will need to get the electrical connections checked all the way from main hub (underneath the battery) to sensor.

Now the most important part.

4. If the sensor is busted, get it changed first (I think I got one for 1500rs from used parts market, they will be genuine). Just make sure it's correct side of the sensor as front left and right sensor have knobs for orientation.

5. After changing the sensor, drive the car normally for few days and see if the problem goes away.

6. If the problem is still there, get some time on your hands like 4-5 hours. Get some snacks and charge your mobile fully to pass time. And go to a good workshop and get the wheel hub opened to check the bearing. (You may need to have wheel alignment done after that)

ABS equipped cars have bearings with a magnetic ring. If yours is worn out, it can be replaced for 2800rs (2500 for bearing, 300 for replacement as only kharadia can do it). They are easily available in market and last for lifetime.

It seems your ABS unit is fine as when ABS light is off, it works correctly.

Never replace break pads with after market ones like korean or china. Only original. You will save a lot of headache.

It may be uncalled for but be prepared to spend around 5K (or less) and a whole day for this issue.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AlienX View Post
    It seems your ABS unit is fine as when ABS light is off, it works correctly.
    Yes this has what raised my suspicions or hopes you may say...I might just test the car for a couple days to see if the light comes back on now that I have fixed the tyre pressure issue.

Thanks for the detailed response. I hope my case isn't that bad, because taking out time is the biggest of the issues.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by reaper1111 View Post
    Yes this has what raised my suspicions or hopes you may say...I might just test the car for a couple days to see if the light comes back on now that I have fixed the tyre pressure issue.

Thanks for the detailed response. I hope my case isn't that bad, because taking out time is the biggest of the issues.
    Just get it scanned. There is a lot of data coming in from sensors, scanning for problems is simplest solution. It will save you time by solving the issue instead of guess works.

Another thing you can try is to have the sensors cleanned, it takes about half hour. Probably there is debris. Some experienced mechanic can do it easily.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AlienX View Post
    Just get it scanned. There is a lot of data coming in from sensors, scanning for problems is simplest solution. It will save you time by solving the issue instead of guess works.

Another thing you can try is to have the sensors cleanned, it takes about half hour. Probably there is debris. Some experienced mechanic can do it easily.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
    Yeah that is what I will do today. Will report with status by tomorrow hopefully.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My abs light and engine lights are both on. But the car runs fine. Where should I take car to get it checked professionally

Sent from my HTC_M8x using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

in Lahore - it is obama car care centre in garden town 0321 4106898

Quote Originally Posted by shoaib20695 View Post
    My abs light and engine lights are both on. But the car runs fine. Where should I take car to get it checked professionally

Sent from my HTC_M8x using PW Forums mobile app
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Do the following:
    - Scan the engine and ABS system. Jot down all the error codes on paper and delete the codes.
    - If the sensors are found to be good, perform the engine calibration first. That is, perform ECM reset, Zero point deceleration sensor calibration and CVT oil pressure calibration. Follow the instructions on screen.
    - In ABS section perform the sensor G and Yaw rate sensor calibration.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List