Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default VW beetle

Hi there

i bought a VW beetle about 3 years ago and tried to restore it but could not get a good success. problem is that normally i m not in pakistan. now its parked out side my house and not in use. i want to rebuild it again but this time i will take maximum time so that i be here during all work out. can any one advice me if i intend to change the engine and put any petrol engine (like corolla 82 or something) so that i can put on CNG and make it AC as well. secdonly i want to make it luxurous like power windows and stuff like that. its 1967. I live in karachi. right now its DHAKKA start as self is not working brake is v v weak, making strage kind of noises. can any one tell me whom to consult . IN short i am beginner in Beetle. Please guide me guys.

I can attach pics if any body says.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@storm

buddy these rains in karachi. got stuck up. anyways I am also bz these days in a wedding. still looking where is Basit Ustaad's workshop. i am attaching its pics.

planning is I will discuss the matter with Basit Ustaad and thinking of installing a bit bigger engine. i dont know what i will put in but definately something like 1600cc+.

lets see. do u have any idea for engine. for exteriors i will go at last. i will work oyut things in steps so that i can spend money and get someting real touchy out

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if you are planning on fitting a 1600 please go for a Dual port engine and ensure that it ihas a 34PICT carb on it (ideally get the carb reconditioned - involves replacing all the moving bits & jets) otherwise it'll be of little to no use as a small carb or a single port engine will show littel to no gain over your current setup.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

who can locate me Basit Ustaad's workshop? I have mailed Asad Ishaque still waiting reply.

@Storm

what u think about it after seeing the pics?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mariner2090
    after looking at the car i can only deduce that some denter has either converted it to look like a MUCH later model or it is a 68 which has been fitted with some cosmetic 74 parts.

as it is, in no way does she tell me that she is a 67 or earlier model. what are the first 3 numbers on the chassis code? perhaps this is a late model 67 (production) but SHOULD be called a 68 model.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Storm

Man I am really sorry , its 1968 model. It was with my nephew in Rawalpindi for some time and he was trying to get it rebuild 3 years ago. I just called him and came to know that chasis is original 1968 but body is 1974.

so what you suggest not?

what can we do for the engine? Can anyone or you give me number of Doc Asad so that i call him.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mariner2090
    i'd suggest you get it restored to original spec. it's not to hard to make the 74 body look like a 68 at all,.. or you coudl leave it looking like a 74 if you wish.

modifying it,... i'm still not in favour as it looks like it can easily be rescued and restored. as for asads number, i had it in one of my phones but i can't find it,....:@

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Storm

thanx storm. one of my friends has got 1967 london model with sun roof. his bug's body work was done by Basit Ustaad , this i came to know last night. I am expecting him today here. so we plan to move my buggy from here and lets see what happens. I will try to post pics of his buggy as soon as possible. I dont think he comes on PW.

anyways many many thanx for the help. I guess when i will go there to basit Ustaad's i will find the doc. I will keeep posted

msm
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mariner2090
    Abuld basits workshop is at Moosa Colony.. u will find it on ur left ( approx apposite of Quick CNG station) if moving from Karimabad (APWA Collage / Habib Medical Hospital) towards North Nazimabad (Ziauddin Hospital); its a straight road...
    main aysi quam say hon jiskey wo bachon say darta hai
    bara dushman bana phirta hai jo bachon say larta hai

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

CNG is crap and its major crap for ur Beetle...

You should upgrade the original engine but ofcourse the more the cc the more fuel it will consume...

Restore it original coz there is nothing like it
    Labrador Puppies FOR SALE: http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/sale/139500-labrador-pups-show-winner-parents-sale

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi all,

The updates.

Well i discussed with my friends instead of installing a VW engine of 1600cc i will power up this 1200cc engine and thats final. I will bring this engine up to 1600cc. this is first thing i will do then i will go after the cosmetics.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

in order to make this 1200 a 50 hp 1600 you'll have to change the crank, pistons, barrels and heads. only think left will be the original case (which isn't a bad idea but you may not get all teh power you need).

if you wish to get more power with little modification you cna convert it to 1300 and dual-port (AR) heads which willtake you from approx 26-30hp to 44hp (significantly more power). you will have to source at least a 28PICT carb for this engine but ideally you'll need a 30PICT. a full rebuild on this engine woudl be a good idea so that you can replace all teh bearings and generally get everythign inside cleaned up and adjusted to that you get the most out of it.

please ensure you upgrade the cooling system to the late model dog house shroud as well so that it doesn't overheat.

i'd suggest you have a talk with asadishaque and he'll guide you where to go and what to do on your car better than any of us online.

leave ALL cosmetics till after most of the major mechanical work is done. concentrate your money and efforts towards bushes, mounts, seals, etc. for the time being.

good luck and keep us posted buddy.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Storm

Advice notted. I have another friend of mine who has got beetle as well , the london model. he is with me to help out. I am leaving for new york next week will not be able to come online for atleast 3 months in btw work on boosting up the engine will be done and he will be incharge in doing that. He is also an engineer. His beetle's cosmetics was done by Basit Ustaad as well. anyways my beetle was not running for about 4-5 months so just got tunning, oil change brake work done to bring it on road. Inshallah next month we will start boosting up the engine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@mariner2090
    do look up CIP1.com when you are in the US, they have some great stuff for the beetle at great prices.

keep us updated and i hope to see your VW up and running as you wanted it soon (Y). if you need any info while away just email me and i'll do what i can.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Does your friend have the silver/black Beetle?

@Storm, is the 1200 case thick enough to stand an 85mm bore?
    "The rough, hard idle swells up and out from under the car, ricochets off other cars, and rams into the ears of the driver, the spectators. You think twice about a 383 Road Runner, but a hemi only once -- and let it pass."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Psyborg

No he does not have silver / black beetle. I cant describe the coloue but its sort of purple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List