Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 255 of 484 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355 ... LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,100 of 9673
Like Tree2125Likes

Thread: Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

Lets all contribute pics and memories to this timeless classic that has faithfully served generations. It is my 1st car memory and my dad who is a Beetle enthusiast at one time had a total of 4 beetles in our garage Here's a little history of this miraculous German wonder: 'The history of the Beetle really goes back to pre 2nd world war Germany when Ferdinand Porsche had a vision of a mass produced vehicle that was affordable to the average German, an idea that was shared with the young Adolf Hitler who himself could not drive, but was a car fanatic. Hitler was apparently influenced by the achievements of Henry Ford and his production lines - reading Ford's biography while in prison during 1923. Porsche had previously worked on some other small cars that used many elements later to be included in the Beetle. The Type 32 prototype NSU of 1934 was an air-cooled rear engined four cylinder horizontally opposed powered car that used torsion bar suspension and featured beetle-like styling.' --- source - Google.co.uk lets keep the posts rolling - add pics of bugs you've owned or own! I'll add my dad's bug family pics as well ... I guess he fell in love with this oddly shaped car after he drove it down to Pakistan from Germany!!!! .. stories of that wonderous journey keep us entertained whenever our family gets together

Mod edit: thread title changed in May 2008
    Never give up .. cuz that is when the tide will change!...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Bruit View Post
    Absolutly Sameer bhai, Upon your suggestion, I drove my V-Dub to Pindi in order to be overhauled, however, Khalid ustad (Mechanic) did some of he electrician work for me as according to him nothing much is needed; hence, I didn't take the car to Khalid (electrician).

Now, the self prolongs when I try to crank the engine, and electrician here in Peshawar said its due to weak alternator.

You were the first whom I sms regarding this problem, but figured out after "no reply" that you were still abroad.

Its been 13 months since I am trying to get my V-Dub on to the road but looks like new bottle necks are popping up M so jealous of all those beauties on road without any mechanical challenges popping up on weekly basis.
    sorry about the "no replys" i'm still not back yet.

as for khalid saying nothing else was needed, he does that for everyone so as to save them money but in the long run it doesn't always work as his solutions are usually temporary. sadly most VW owners in ISB/RWP want a cheap fix" rather than fixing the problem once and doing it right.

i think what you should do is have a word with him on the phone and explain this whole thing to him and check to see if all the parts etc will be available to sort out your car once and for all. also do mentino to him that after visiting him you'll also be going to khalid electrician in G8 to get the electrics sorted out as well.

it'll cost a little, but it'll be cheape than doing short term repairs (over the long run),.. and it'll be more reliable.

i'll be back soon so then i can also help you out.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Btw, I want to share a short story about how affectionate these bugs are:

My village is in the remote areas of Peshawar, where the west side was badly affected by flood. I took my buddy-bug to the affected areas where an ordinary car couldn't reach due to the dialapidated road conditions.

The flood victims were all sad, and one could see the level of stress/depression on their faces. However, every affected place I would visit, the bug would transform their stress into smiles. Kids, youngsters and elders would come to the roadsides in order to see "brainier engineering" in practical form. I could see how keen these kids were to see the bug from inside. However, due to exigous time, I couldn't show them.

And thats where I took an oath that:

"In every point of my life, I will be having at least one bug with me."

Once bugged, always bugged...
    this is very true, on the ISB mango festival the VW club got together and put our cars on display. the amount of people who just came to see the cars was overwhelming (all with kids). after that the mango festival guys asked us to come back again at the next event.

beetles are all "friendly" vehicles and people tend to feel comfortable around them.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

about the regulator - I know for sure the internal regulators can be had for about 100 rs a piece on Lawrence road karachi - but you would have to sift in about 1000 pieces - I bought 2 for my Golf (benz 90 amp alternator) and they were super.

The VW alternator can be rebuilt with benz parts rotor etc. but only if you use the older style 40 amp ones.. And you can buy the straight angled regulator too (they usually come equipped like this in super older benzs)..

the axial play usually is the culprit of a missing wave thrust washer inside the housing or a broached bearing seat..

If the starter tries to overcrank the engine when leaving the key you can point it out to a sticking solenoid OR the mechanic who installed the starter and bushing in the tranny has applied grease to it, the bushing needs to be dipped in oil overnight and installed with a bolt rig tool (I made it with a long bolt, piece of metal and two smaller bolts to mount the starter ears).. Dont hammer it in

The spline shaft if greased will stick the driving gear - as clutch dust and heat cooks the grease, just use plain oil - and it will run smooth
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

whats the approximate cost of overhauling a 1300cc engine? is it worth overhauling or should you just get a new engine? Whats the cost of the new engine? Are they easy to find??

My car keeps on leaking oil!! So any good mechanics based in Pindi/Isb who can help me to stop the leaking? Please post their contact details too!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have VW 1974 beetle, i am intrested in installing angel eyes or HID kit in my beetle. Is it possible to get them installed?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

"Old VWs don't drip oil...they just mark their spot"

Or so the saying goes. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had a wide variety of engines in my VWs over the years, but I do have to say somehow the older engines - like the 36hp motor, or the early stale-air 40hp 1200 which is original to my 61- tend to drip less. From memory, most of my 1300s have dripped more...but that may have no mechanical basis whatsoever.

Oil seals etc can be changed...but sometimes the issue is deeper. Most of the time, unless the leak is severe, it doesn't really matter I have to say.

@ Storm and Bruit...totally agree with your observations. The Bug is a universally loved and accepted car, across continents, countries, cultures, languages, ages, gender and what have you.
    "Made in Germany. Wrecked in Pakistan."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yet another Challange...

AOA all,

My car is at painter's shop, when I tried to reverse it, the gear lever wouldn't move from its place at all. It's stuck in 1st gear, I can't bring it to neutral, nor 2nd gear nor reverse. It's not compromising at all. When I press the clutch, the car would start, but when I try to change the gear, it wouldn't allow me to. However, when I release the clutch, the car would move forward normally just as it does in 1st gear.

Any idea about this problem? I hope its not going to be pain in the butt...

Regards all,

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yet another Challange...

AOA all,

My car is at painter's shop, when I tried to reverse it, the gear lever wouldn't move from its place at all. It's stuck in 1st gear, I can't bring it to neutral, nor 2nd gear nor reverse. It's not compromising at all. When I press the clutch, the car would start, but when I try to change the gear, it wouldn't allow me to. However, when I release the clutch, the car would move forward normally just as it does in 1st gear.

Regards all,
    Fortunately got it straight... There was some problem with the lever... I pray that I drive my beetle without any hassle from now on.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ShahJee14 View Post
    I have VW 1974 beetle, i am intrested in installing angel eyes or HID kit in my beetle. Is it possible to get them installed?
    please avoid ricing this car, it is not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by rudeboy View Post
    whats the approximate cost of overhauling a 1300cc engine? is it worth overhauling or should you just get a new engine? Whats the cost of the new engine? Are they easy to find??

My car keeps on leaking oil!! So any good mechanics based in Pindi/Isb who can help me to stop the leaking? Please post their contact details too!!
    it depends on the engine, but no matter what, it'll be ALOT cheaper than importing a new engine as they can cost approximately £1000 (without import tax).

as for oil leaks, all beetles in PK do it. it's got to do with the abuse given to them in their lives and the fact that most were serviced by idiot mechanics. both my VWs leak oil, eventually i'll do something about it but for now i just leave a pan under the car (when home),.. when out, i just "mark my territory".

Fortunately got it straight... There was some problem with the lever... I pray that I drive my beetle without any hassle from now on.
    i know it's a bit late, but did it have anything to do with the bushes uner the rear seat or the actual shifter rod? what was the actual issue?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 41108 475135921728 516301728 6383786 7271164 n

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    i know it's a bit late, but did it have anything to do with the bushes uner the rear seat or the actual shifter rod? what was the actual issue?
    NP, at least read your words. Anyways, according to the mechanic, somebody changed the gear with force, hence the lever's joint was misplaced.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up Another Ragtop Beetle in ISB...FYI

I spotted another genuine Ragtop Bug in ISB a couple of days back. It's apparently a '59 RHD (like Asad's, but this one would have fooled me - looked exactly like a '61-'62 complete with fuel gauge, push-handles, black Wolfsburg badge and all), brown. Has popout windows and later slotted wheels, reg no. RIC 262.

It was too dark to take a picture with my crappy VGA camera phone, so didn't even bother. The car has recently changed hands and I very regrettably missed it. Apparently a local car, owned by an 'old' VW mechanic for many years.

Perhaps Romano can throw some more light on the car's history. Not sure whether the owner's a member here.

That seems to bring the known Ragtop Beetle count in RWP/ISB up to 4:

- This '59 RHD
    - The '58 LHD owned by Mr. Yusuf in Pindi for many years
    - The '63 LHD owned by Mr. Panni
    - The '57 LHD Oval owned by Nasir (formerly mine)

Any others????
    "Made in Germany. Wrecked in Pakistan."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Look what I found

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -134463
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.......

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A Very Happy Eid Mubarik to all readers!

Now, the self prolongs when I try to crank the engine, and electrician here in Peshawar said its due to weak alternator.

Its been 13 months since I am trying to get my V-Dub on to the road but looks like new bottle necks are popping up M so jealous of all those beauties on road without any mechanical challenges popping up on weekly basis.
    A prolonging self crank is *NOT* due to a 'weak alternator' as your mech has made you believe. You have been rightly guided here that you need to get your starter motor serviced and at the same time get the using in the gearbox housing changed.

Once you get a VW running correctly, that is have got work done without skimping on important points, you end up with a very reliable car.
    If there are no Beetles in heaven, Im not going!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    about the regulator - I know for sure the internal regulators can be had for about 100 rs a piece on Lawrence road karachi - but you would have to sift in about 1000 pieces - I bought 2 for my Golf (benz 90 amp alternator) and they were super.

The VW alternator can be rebuilt with benz parts rotor etc. but only if you use the older style 40 amp ones.. And you can buy the straight angled regulator too (they usually come equipped like this in super older benzs)..

the axial play usually is the culprit of a missing wave thrust washer inside the housing or a broached bearing seat..

If the starter tries to overcrank the engine when leaving the key you can point it out to a sticking solenoid OR the mechanic who installed the starter and bushing in the tranny has applied grease to it, the bushing needs to be dipped in oil overnight and installed with a bolt rig tool (I made it with a long bolt, piece of metal and two smaller bolts to mount the starter ears).. Dont hammer it in

The spline shaft if greased will stick the driving gear - as clutch dust and heat cooks the grease, just use plain oil - and it will run smooth

I like the most valuable input you share with us here. I hope to see more of your posts as you are hitting the nail bang on the head and providing us with many fine points like not using grease on the starter shaft.

I visited the Lawrence road market a couple of months ago but noticed that they no longer have VW bits. One would be lucky to get anything VW or MB and perhaps now one would have to go through 10000 pieces to find a part that could be usable. Rs 100 per piece is a dream price as the scrappers at shersha would demand much more *if* they have a regulator in stock.

I did not know one could mix n match benz alternator bits into the VW unit. Interesting.

You are very right about the possibility of a missing thrust washer in the alt Bruit has. To highlight this I was looking for an 'exploded view' diagram. I reckon some 'ustaad' must've dismantled the unit and forgot to install all the bits back.

Hope to see more of your posts here xulfiqar.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yet another Challange...

AOA all,

Regards all,
    Though the problem is 'solved' Id like to voice my thoughts......

First off, why do you keep your bug in gear?? I guess the handbrake is not working?? Suggest to get it fixed asap as its a vital safety feature. Let us know if you need any help.

Some causes of a sticky gearshift lever would be:

--Incorrectly adjusted shift lever. A guy who knows VWs can do this for you. Make sure the two bolts holding the lever in place are not loose.

--Lack of grease in the shift lever mating area.

--Worn shift lever nylon bushing. Goes beneath the lever on the horizontal rod. One of the most tricky parts to fit onto a VW, so dont even bother asking a local ustaad as he is bound to screw up.

--worn rubber bushings at shift rod coupler under the back seat. A pair of rubber bushings go inside a metal cage here on the newer models.

--A low gear oil level in the cogbox and/or dirty/water contaminated gear oil.

I suggest very strongly that you get the three bushings changed, whatever their condition is and get your gearbox oil drained. If at all your bug has been submerged in the recent floods, you may be having water mixed in the gear oil.......a great recipe for disaster. If the drained oil has *any* traces of water or looks like a creamy mess, do go for flushing of the 'box followed by fresh oil of the correct rating.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

NP, at least read your words. Anyways, according to the mechanic, somebody changed the gear with force, hence the lever's joint was misplaced.
    Always try to think beyond what these 'ustaads' say. I would not feel comfortable until and unless I get to the bottom of the mystery of the sticking gear shift lever. Things happen for a reason always.

Btw, I went parts hunting a few days before Eid. Do let me know if you would like to purchase a spare alternator as I have found someone having a couple of recently imported units. They are bound to sell very soon so please let me know asap if you want one.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Aleem1 View Post
    I spotted another genuine Ragtop Bug in ISB a couple of days back. It's apparently a '59 RHD (like Asad's, but this one would have fooled me - looked exactly like a '61-'62 complete with fuel gauge, push-handles, black Wolfsburg badge and all), brown. Has popout windows and later slotted wheels, reg no. RIC 262.

Most interesting!! Another ragtop bug!

You should have snapped pics, however low reso, would have given us an idea of what it was like.

Push handles would make it a post 1960, unless someone changed the doors or had later handles fitted. The slotted 66-67 wheels let us know that some/many parts have indeed been swapped. What made you narrow the year model down to 1959??

Interestingly, early Euro-spec 59s, like my own would need a dash hack to fit the later square fuel gauge as they did not have a cutout to accommodate the same.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by parapilot View Post
    Look what I found

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 134463
    What a great find!!! Did you discover this at some weekly market book trader?? If you have, its a lucky find as these books are not available in the country.

This Orange Bentley manual has a blue colored sister,covering the earlier models. These are one of the most authoritative pieces of tech literature in the Dub world.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dr. Saab,

It was bought via Amazom.com back in 2003 and was missing in action for quite sometime. Used to have a Beetle at the time.
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.......

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List