Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 300 of 484 FirstFirst ... 200250290298299300301302310350400 ... LastLast
Results 5,981 to 6,000 of 9673
Like Tree2125Likes

Thread: Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

Lets all contribute pics and memories to this timeless classic that has faithfully served generations. It is my 1st car memory and my dad who is a Beetle enthusiast at one time had a total of 4 beetles in our garage Here's a little history of this miraculous German wonder: 'The history of the Beetle really goes back to pre 2nd world war Germany when Ferdinand Porsche had a vision of a mass produced vehicle that was affordable to the average German, an idea that was shared with the young Adolf Hitler who himself could not drive, but was a car fanatic. Hitler was apparently influenced by the achievements of Henry Ford and his production lines - reading Ford's biography while in prison during 1923. Porsche had previously worked on some other small cars that used many elements later to be included in the Beetle. The Type 32 prototype NSU of 1934 was an air-cooled rear engined four cylinder horizontally opposed powered car that used torsion bar suspension and featured beetle-like styling.' --- source - Google.co.uk lets keep the posts rolling - add pics of bugs you've owned or own! I'll add my dad's bug family pics as well ... I guess he fell in love with this oddly shaped car after he drove it down to Pakistan from Germany!!!! .. stories of that wonderous journey keep us entertained whenever our family gets together

Mod edit: thread title changed in May 2008
    Never give up .. cuz that is when the tide will change!...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Threebond and permatex are easily available in Karachi, Permatex No.2 gasket maker costs Rs 650/- for a small tube while threebond 1104 or a similar loxeal product costs Rs 1500/- for a tube. One tube is good for one whole engine, Threebond looks better as it is silver in colour, Ptex is black.

The compounds remain malleable even when cured - so any thermal expansion/contraction or shock is taken up by it. RTV does not stick and is only good for aerobic applications - like sealing oil pans/valve covers and other sorts, but where there is an aluminium or magensium metal to metal joint - It wont work.

The place to buy them is opp Sindh Madressah or on Marriot Road, Jodia Bazar. It really really pays off to use proper stuff. At home I always had items like

Hylomar
    Threebond 1104
    Permatex gasket makers
    some branded RTV
    thread lock - blue and red
    parts cleaners (not petrol or kerosene but proper nasty degreaser concentrates)

which I beleive everyone who is a car nut should have them. All of them bought from Jodia Bazar or Sh Liaquat
    Thanks for this valuable input.

A trip to the old city around Jodia bazaar has been on the cards for me since a long time. Id plan a trip soon and share what we come up with.
    If there are no Beetles in heaven, Im not going!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post

is it possible that the bent fan caused some damage to the bearings inside the alternator? have a look as it might save you removing it later again.

asad is one of those guys who is busy getting his hands (really) dirty. he's all action and get's down and dirty from what i know. ideally he should have a 2nd pair of hands to take pictures.
    I checked the alternator good on the floor. The bearings (put in recently) were good. No noise at all.

I'm still a bit suspicious on the new pulley. Id check it again today after dismantling. Shall try a different fan belt too, the one with the 'teeth' to prevent slippage.

Yes, I do get dirty at times, when the situation calls for it ....I enjoy doing DIYs like anything. The people who observe think that I am trying to save cash by not hiring a mech to do the job......how to explain the joy you get from doing something on your own???

Yes, I do wish I had a second pair of hands......
    If there are no Beetles in heaven, Im not going!!!

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by AsadIshaque View Post
    These plastic gloves are quite flimsy. Good for painting etc but certainly not for any DIY which involves really using your hands.

I use Latex gloves, available from Medical supply stores in boxes of a 100. They are a bit expensive but provide good protection from grease and grime. However they breakdown after contacting petroleum products so are not too durable. I often go through two or three pairs on a usual DIY.

The latex gloves are a must for myself as I cannot afford to have dirty hands and finger nails at work. Imagine the expression on a patients face if I start examining him with filthy hands

The problem still stands. I cannot handle the camera with the dirty gloves on .......I need an assistant!!
    Who said I used these gloves for DIY? The situation is reverse. I do the DIY with bare hands and use these gloves to use the camera, lol.

Between I get all the grease in my nails which then has to be cleared out spending many minutes on washing hands after every DIY (And I hate this part of the DIY). My hands even have got a few spots of burnt skin due to all the constant scrubbing that I am doing, all over Patina to make her surface rust free. Here is how the burnt skin spots look like;

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -225923

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is the exact gauge which shall fit my 59 like a glove. My car does not have the square cutout for the usual pre 67 gauge on the dash panel behind the grille. Instead there are two round holes of small dia there.

Shall I buy a piggy bank and start saving ??
    @AsadIshaque

If I would be you, instead of saving on for this accessory, I should save the same amount of bucks to acquire a decent Oval Project like the one @nmshaikh has shared on his Picasa Album from the buggy event.

How to get it over to Pakistan, is another issue, lol.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nmshaikh View Post
    there is another more practical (and affordable) one being reproduced that gives a digital display.
    TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - Vintage Speed Dehne digital fuel gauge

the same if original ...
    TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - NOS Dehne fuel tank gauge split oval bug
    Now this original one is quite something. What I could draw out after looking at this accessory are two conclusions;

1- Boy O' boy, this is what we call a part being "expensive".
    2- It clearly shows the engineering being well ahead of its time. So it implies that while the VW was the leader in the "ahead of its time" engineering, it also compelled other manufactureres to meet their high standards and produce such accessories to go on their proud engineering.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, I do wish I had a second pair of hands......
    Get married with a Gori VW enthusiast and have a second pair of hands, easy does it!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The fuel gauge discussion.....

Im having second thoughts now. I dont think the US spec 68s had the earlier design. I think Nasir bhais observation is based on the Canadian spec VWs. If Im not mistaken, the Canadian market got an interesting hotch potch of parts.

A live case we can compare is the 1968 Aussie bug rescued from Karachi. It came with a unique fuel gauge which looks like the earlier mechanical unit but in fact has 6volt electrics. Very interesting.

I think the 1968 vintage 12 volt unit Nasir bhai pictured is either off a Canadian bug or a factory spare manufactured in 68.
    The Canadian models were different in some ways from the cars sold south of the border.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yesterday i moved all my VW stuff to my new house and i was surprised as to how much stuff is left to go on to my 1303 and thing,... as soon as i can make some room in the driveway i'm goig to bring the cars over too and get to work.

on another note, i used to have to drop fuel into the carb (from the top) of my 1303 if i didn't start her for a few days, but around 2 months ago i got stranded on the side of the road and decided to get to work on the carb. Armed with only a screwdriver and a few other useless little bits i got the 1303 running again. Anyhow, on sunday i went to the farm to visit the 1303 and after 2 months of standing she started on the 5th or 6th crank (fuel lines were dry),... i'm so proud of myself as i was starting to get really annoyed having to always carry fuel around. now those days seem to be behind me.

problem was that my float had been stuck in the up position,... such a simple issue, such a simple fix (stuck mmy hand on the carb throat during idel which filled the bowl and loosened the float. Now the throttle is smooth(er) but the jets need to be changed if i want smooth throttle progression. This time i'm going to be more adventurous and will swap over the 31PICT to the required 34PICT (my car was a 1300DP, but is now a 1600DP). first i need ot rebuild her and ensure the insides are clean,... any suggestions on cleaning the inside of the carb? khalid ustaad uses "sweep" (bathroom cleaning acid).

@Xulfiqar
    i'm sure you have a great suggestion on how to rebuild a carb. any imput from you would be like drops of gold.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Storm bhai,

Is that convertible for sale?? Or is that gori single????

Im drooling over this.......as far as I know there is a 67 original convertible in ISB.....restored by its owner who was in touch with me a while back......helped to locate a few parts for him but then he disappeared......

This one looks like a 65-66. From what I can make out.....wish you had dipped the headlights of your Defender.

The bright red bug posted by DP is too cool. Great car. The black 64 covered in layers of dust used to be a daily driver but sadly now parked at the beach front to rust away........God help these poor bugs.....

Asad
    from page 45..
    @Asad..the Gori was single at that time but is in Bosnia and expecting her first baby any day now.(so you've missed out!)

The car is not for sale (so another disappointment..sorry)

This is what the car would have looked like had Storm dipped his headlamps..

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -226288

Billi marka saban bananey walon ki taraf sey plastic ka Lota inaam hai agar bata saken key driver kon hai?

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

from page 45..
    @Asad..the Gori was single at that time but is in Bosnia and expecting her first baby any day now.(so you've missed out!)

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 226288

Billi marka saban bananey walon ki taraf sey plastic ka Lota inaam hai agar bata saken key driver kon hai?
    Romano, lol. But I dont want plastic ka lota as inam...lol

B/w Sally looks fabulous in this shot.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by reezvaan View Post
    Romano, lol. But I dont want plastic ka lota as inam...lol

B/w Sally looks fabulous in this shot.
    Thanx Reezwaan and just to save Asad from spending some precious time trying to find Sally the gori in the picture..Sally is the name of my 67 convertible.

I notice that the rear bumper is a little un-even...maybe I fixed that already..been almost 4 years I parked her..

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanx Reezwaan and just to save Asad from spending some precious time trying to find Sally the gori in the picture..Sally is the name of my 67 convertible.

I notice that the rear bumper is a little un-even...maybe I fixed that already..been almost 4 years I parked her..
    And I notice a NOS Hella Back up light and NOS American spec. lense covers and the great neat alignment of the fender beading with the straight body trim...its one uniform flow...

This is one fabulous restoration. The only RHD original vert deserved it.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by romano View Post
    Top on my list of cowboys is IRFAN; has a shop in the row near the abpara fire brigade station. mega useless. likewise for another so called expert named jahangir. made a MESS of nasir shaikhs cabrio. KP had a less than happy result from the Chevy workshop in I9, and the list goes on. wish i could say I have found a good painter, but with the exception of Yazdani motors in karachi, nothing!
    From Page 293:

After looking at Sally in all the pics I have seen...Irfan looks to be the best option for a paint job.

As I said earlier on my thread, VWCOP desperately needs a good painter with all these body offs going on and some fabulous body jobs which are reduced to a mess once the paint job is done. Hardly any restoration comes this near to Sally's paint finish.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

From Page 293:

After looking at Sally in all the pics I have seen...Irfan looks to be the best option for a paint job.

As I said earlier on my thread, VWCOP desperately needs a good painter with all these body offs going on and some fabulous body jobs which are reduced to a mess once the paint job is done. Hardly any restoration comes this near to Sally's paint finish.
    He has been annoying at one point but I could never point a finger at the quality of his work. I guess we all go thru bad patches one time or another in life. He has a constant line-up and no shortage of repeat customers so he must be doing something right. I think Shahzeb is getting his car painted at Irfans. Lets wait for his feedback.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And I notice a NOS Hella Back up light and NOS American spec. lense covers and the great neat alignment of the fender beading with the straight body trim...its one uniform flow...

This is one fabulous restoration. The only RHD original vert deserved it.
    How do you like the rear bumper? It is an original German bumper I spotted on a rusty beat-up VW on the road. I followed him to his place of work, offered to buy him a brand new PAIR of brazilian bumpers available at the time with Moqeem in exchange for the one on the car. A deal was reached and I bought the pair and paid for the new bumpers to be fitted to the gentleman's car. The front bumper was crap so I just left it at the workshop but the rear one is a gem..

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

He has been annoying at one point but I could never point a finger at the quality of his work. I guess we all go thru bad patches one time or another in life. He has a constant line-up and no shortage of repeat customers so he must be doing something right. I think Shahzeb is getting his car painted at Irfans. Lets wait for his feedback.
    Yep he told me and I thought it was the right choice. Rather it was the only choice to me since didn't want to see all the hard work put into the project by @shahzebulhaq go down the drain by some lousy painter's job.

I hope this turns out good for him and eventually for VWCOP too.

Fingers crossed!

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How do you like the rear bumper? It is an original German bumper I spotted on a rusty beat-up VW on the road. I followed him to his place of residence, offered to buy him a brand new PAIR of brazilian bumpers available at the time with Moqeem in exchange for the one on the car. A deal was reached and I bought the pair and paid for the new bumpers to be fitted to the gentleman's car. The front bumper was crap so I just left it at the workshop but the rear one is a gem..
    OG??? I thought it was a New Brazilian piece. Beyond doubt its in immaculate condition. I love it.

About chasing down the beat-up VDub,told you, you see beyond the obvious

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

OG??? I thought it was a New Brazilian piece. Beyond doubt its in immaculate condition. I love it.

About chasing down the beat-up VDub,told you, you see beyond the obvious
    I am surprised how it survived on the car I bought it off...never hit, no rust..and the car was falling apart, totally beat up and rusting.
    The only thing non original you see on the car in this picture is the back view mirror. The PO lost the mirror when the car was at a workshop so the mechanic CUT the arm and welded the rounded part off a suzuki mirror and attached a suzuki plastic mirror!!!!! It took me 2 years looking for one in the US but I've found it and it replaces the Suzuki mirror as soon as I get my hands on the car. It was torture to see in the plastic back view mirror that shifted with the slightest bump in the road.
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -226363 Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -226364

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Last night had words with a VWCOP member, brought about by his comment about my not delivering on something he had asked for (just ten minutes earlier); when I reminded him of his 'non delivery' on a YEAR old promise, he again made some inane excuse. Point is, don't make promises you cant keep, and this has happened to another member here in Isb recently. Fellow members make commitments to buy... and then disappear. This is not on, and dos not bode well for the fraternity!
    http://groups.google.com.pk/group/vwcop

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

from page 45..

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 226288

sadly i had a pathetic camera and misaligned HIDs at the time. i wish i'd known it was nasir bahi in the car that night!!! i've never seen sally before (or since) and i always drool when i hear about her (i'm talking about the car guys)

BTW, there is no mistaking a bald man in a nice looking VW,.. it can only be el-presidente!
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List