Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 333 of 484 FirstFirst ... 233283323331332333334335343383433 ... LastLast
Results 6,641 to 6,660 of 9673
Like Tree2125Likes

Thread: Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

Lets all contribute pics and memories to this timeless classic that has faithfully served generations. It is my 1st car memory and my dad who is a Beetle enthusiast at one time had a total of 4 beetles in our garage Here's a little history of this miraculous German wonder: 'The history of the Beetle really goes back to pre 2nd world war Germany when Ferdinand Porsche had a vision of a mass produced vehicle that was affordable to the average German, an idea that was shared with the young Adolf Hitler who himself could not drive, but was a car fanatic. Hitler was apparently influenced by the achievements of Henry Ford and his production lines - reading Ford's biography while in prison during 1923. Porsche had previously worked on some other small cars that used many elements later to be included in the Beetle. The Type 32 prototype NSU of 1934 was an air-cooled rear engined four cylinder horizontally opposed powered car that used torsion bar suspension and featured beetle-like styling.' --- source - Google.co.uk lets keep the posts rolling - add pics of bugs you've owned or own! I'll add my dad's bug family pics as well ... I guess he fell in love with this oddly shaped car after he drove it down to Pakistan from Germany!!!! .. stories of that wonderous journey keep us entertained whenever our family gets together

Mod edit: thread title changed in May 2008
    Never give up .. cuz that is when the tide will change!...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Alright! Update on the beetle! Everything in the car is stock save the engine which is 1600cc as opposed to the 1200 that came stock in the car.
    Year of restoration is 2009 and its a 63 bug.
    Miles on the motor before being redone are unknown but done after restoration are MAX 1000
    Asking price is 295,000 PKR
    Do let me know if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by raheeljessa View Post
    Hello Asad and all you VW fans!
    I feel the time has come for me to depart with my beloved beetle
    She's a good little car and has given me great pleasure for awhile now
    If anyone is interested please don't hesitate to ask me about it.
    I would be especially willing to sell it to someone who wants to use it in a coffee shop spawned from the pulp fiction era but I'm sure my dreams are as foolish as the idea may seem to some
    I also dont like using the word sell when it comes to beetles, perhaps exchanging hands is more appropriate!

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by raheeljessa View Post
    Alright! Update on the beetle! Everything in the car is stock save the engine which is 1600cc as opposed to the 1200 that came stock in the car.
    Year of restoration is 2009 and its a 63 bug.
    Miles on the motor before being redone are unknown but done after restoration are MAX 1000
    Asking price is 295,000 PKR
    Do let me know if you are interested.
    How about some interior pictures and some pictures from under the boot? And may be trunk too...

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Stock Tranny Finish

I just learnt that the stock Transmission came in no color at all unlike most of the black trannys we have on our bugs (means it came as bare metal as the engine case). Instead the magnesium was protected in "cosmoline", a protective coating to keep the bare magnesium case from corrosion and tarnishing just like the one in the pic below:

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -295714

The only part that came in black was the "cradle" as can be seen in the above pictures. My question is how do we revert the black color on our trannys to bare metal finish without tarnishing the magnesium?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by reezvaan View Post
    I just learnt that the stock Transmission came in no color at all unlike most of the black trannys we have on our bugs (means it came as bare metal as the engine case). Instead the magnesium was protected in "cosmoline", a protective coating to keep the bare magnesium case from corrosion and tarnishing just like the one in the pic below:

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 295714

The only part that came in black was the "cradle" as can be seen in the above pictures. My question is how do we revert the black color on our trannys to bare metal finish without tarnishing the magnesium?
    we don't...we leave them just the way they are..lol

we can sandblast the case but then protecting it would be a task...

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nmshaikh View Post
    we don't...we leave them just the way they are..lol

we can sandblast the case but then protecting it would be a task...
    Lol...

Sand blasting the magnesium is a BAD idea. Doesn't work with the magnesium well. Using Lacquer Thinner again would be a big NO as it would tarnish the magnesium...

But still there has to be some treatment to bring back the originality and thats what we are looking for here. I am looking to revert to originality when I get Patina's tranny rebuilt.

Lets add some "more" fun to our hobby...

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/gue...-o#post2991118

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lol...

Sand blasting the magnesium is a BAD idea. Doesn't work with the magnesium well. Using Lacquer Thinner again would be a big NO as it would tarnish the magnesium...

But still there has to be some treatment to bring back the originality and thats what we are looking for here. I am looking to revert to originality when I get Patina's tranny rebuilt.
    it doesn't have to be sand that is blasted but a softer media but really its too much hassle. Unless maybe you start with a new core and spend plenty of time cleaning it with a wire brush, section by section...I am sure you have the patience..I don't

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I did a little research and it confused me. My chasis code is 1142338972 which makes it a November 1973 production. But it looks like a '69. Am i missing out on some info here?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

umm...cant we make our peace with a black tranny instead?? hidden under the car where no one can see it??

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    umm...cant we make our peace with a black tranny instead?? hidden under the car where no one can see it??
    We sure can. But you see when we talk about hobby, its always about exploring new dimensions and finding something new every single time you dig deep into the details. What fun would it be if we left it all black and dont discuss these little bits to find out more and more about these wonder machines. It makes the hobby a little more interesting. Doesn't it?

When we restore our beloved cars, we do a lot the way we want, the idea here is to discuss how would have VW done it or had done it and thus how to achieve the same now while we do our bit.

Quote Originally Posted by haywirehiatus View Post
    I did a little research and it confused me. My chasis code is 1142338972 which makes it a November 1973 production. But it looks like a '69. Am i missing out on some info here?
    Your bug is most certainly a 1974. VIN Number is the most authentic way to find out what exactly was your bug like when it came of the assembly line. You see there could be quite a few arguements on why it looks how it looks right now. For one, VW offered different variants for different markets. May be yours is one of those variants.

Another arguement could be that these poor cars received lots and lots of molestation during their lives here in Pakistan in different hands, satisfying different owners personal requirements and shifting shapes all the way before they became what they are today. Some even received complete replacement body shells. So dont be confused on what your bug looks right now. The focal point should be how to get it be back the way it originally was.

I suggest, you better post a fresh picture(s) of your bug here and let the veterans comment and help you with what needs to be done to make it look the way it came off from the assembly line. If you want to be dead sure how it was when it was delivered, order a birth certificate for Euro 35.00 here:
    http://www.volkswagen-automuseum.de/urkunden.html

This is how a Birth Certificate looks and reads:
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - vwcertjpg1

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you want to be dead sure how it was when it was delivered, order a birth certificate for Euro 35.00 here:

:: Volkswagen AutoMuseum :: Urkundengenerator
    damn it!! now il have to order one!!!

We sure can. But you see when we talk about hobby, its always about exploring new dimensions and finding something new every single time you dig deep into the details. What fun would it be if we left it all black and dont discuss these little bits to find out more and more about these wonder machines. It makes the hobby a little more interesting. Doesn't it?

When we restore our beloved cars, we do a lot the way we want, the idea here is to discuss how would have VW done it or had done it and thus how to achieve the same now while we do our bit.
    well if u put it that way... one CAN do it...would require a LOT of patience tho...best o luck!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lol...

media blast it with wallnut shells

if it is an economy it could make sense. otherwise it might be old stock from a dealership lot.
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    media blast it with wallnut shells.
    Has it been tried on magnesium before? If yes, where was it experimented and what were the results like?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

We'll need to see a few pictures of the car before commenting.

On your own you can start by inspecting the VIN plate located behind the spare wheel.
    Does it have the same VIN number punched on the frame tunnel under the rear seat?
    Does the VIN number on the tunnel match with the Chassis number on the reg. documents?
    Is the car a German production?

Inspect the rivets that hold the VIN plate to get an idea if the VIN plate has been re-attached using blind rivets.

Another sure sign that it is a post 72 car would be the size of the rear window. (which is larger than the one on a 69 car, unless its a Mexican car which did have smaller windows even in later models)

what kind of tail lights does your car have? It should have the larger elephants foot type. Its highly unlikely but entirely possible that the rear fenders were changed. (In Pakistan you find the later fenders on early cars to give them a modern look, not the other way round)

there are more signs but lets start with the above checklist and see where we go from there.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Has it been tried on magnesium before? If yes, where was it experimented and what were the results like?
    it is non-reactive, doesn't damage or etch the surface and since it is softer than magnesium it does not pit or damage it like sand.

walnut shell blasting is one of those little tricks which is not known about in the world of restorations by many even though the top guys do it. here's an example of walnut shells being used on mag wheels: TECH magnesium wheel cleaning with walnut shells before/after pics - THE H.A.M.B.

if it works for them it'll work for our gearboxes as (generally) anything that works on alu will work on magnesium. plus, unlike steel shot, walnut shells will not create magnesium dust (which is highly flammable). another option is glass beads (the finer the better).
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

We'll need to see a few pictures of the car before commenting.
    This is the car in question
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 274394
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 274396

On your own you can start by inspecting the VIN plate located behind the spare wheel.
    Does it have the same VIN number punched on the frame tunnel under the rear seat?
    Does the VIN number on the tunnel match with the Chassis number on the reg. documents?
    Everything matches

Is the car a German production?
    How does one find out? I guess it is, since everything written on the VIN plate is german.

It may be possible that the entire shell may be replaced since i recently learnt that this car was in a major crash.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Inspect the rivets that hold the VIN plate to get an idea if the VIN plate has been re-attached using blind rivets.

How does one find out? I guess it is, since everything written on the VIN plate is german.

It may be possible that the entire shell may be replaced since i recently learnt that this car was in a major crash.
    It is pretty easy to find out if the entire body shell is a replacement. Since you mentioned all numbers are matching, be it the VIN tag in spare wheel well or the VIN punched on the Tunnel or the documents, it means that if the body shell was replaced the VIN tag in the spare wheel well would be affixed using new aftermarket rivets in order to make it a matching shell. Just inspect the rivets closely and ascertain if the rivets are OG.

Here is how the OG rivets should look like:

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -296468

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is the car in question
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 274394
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 274396

Everything matches

Nice car. It is hard to tell but from the headlights, deck lid, the rear fenders and rear window it appears to be a 1969 /70 model. It is entirely possible that the body shell was replaced. It is a better option than trying to fix a bad crash, provided a donor body shell is available.

You can try and find out the original colour of the car by looking under the dash and scratching an inconspicuous area then comparing it with the colour mentioned on the registration book. I doubt if they'll match.

You can keep the rear fenders as is or upgrade them to the elephants foot taillights and the deck lid to the one with four sets of air intakes and complete the 74 appearance. Either way the car appears to have been restored nicely so enjoy driving it.

Drive carefully, as donor shells for the cars, though with some difficulty, may still be found but to find one for the driver... impossible

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice car. It is hard to tell but from the headlights, deck lid, the rear fenders and rear window it appears to be a 1969 /70 model.
    69/70 shells didn't have these vent grills. Or did they?

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -296527

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi pw .. Can any one help me to find complete modified volkswagen with roof or without , or if have any contact than please drop a message in my inbox really thankful to you guys .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

69/70 shells didn't have these vent grills. Or did they?

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 296527
    are you referring to the air vents on the decklid? if so yes they did.. Having said that, it varies from engine size to country... 1974 economy models equipped with a 1200 cc engine, sold in Pakistan did not come with any vents on the deck lid... This particular car appears to be a deluxe model so entirely possible

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List