Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 348 of 484 FirstFirst ... 248298338346347348349350358398448 ... LastLast
Results 6,941 to 6,960 of 9673
Like Tree2125Likes

Thread: Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

Lets all contribute pics and memories to this timeless classic that has faithfully served generations. It is my 1st car memory and my dad who is a Beetle enthusiast at one time had a total of 4 beetles in our garage Here's a little history of this miraculous German wonder: 'The history of the Beetle really goes back to pre 2nd world war Germany when Ferdinand Porsche had a vision of a mass produced vehicle that was affordable to the average German, an idea that was shared with the young Adolf Hitler who himself could not drive, but was a car fanatic. Hitler was apparently influenced by the achievements of Henry Ford and his production lines - reading Ford's biography while in prison during 1923. Porsche had previously worked on some other small cars that used many elements later to be included in the Beetle. The Type 32 prototype NSU of 1934 was an air-cooled rear engined four cylinder horizontally opposed powered car that used torsion bar suspension and featured beetle-like styling.' --- source - Google.co.uk lets keep the posts rolling - add pics of bugs you've owned or own! I'll add my dad's bug family pics as well ... I guess he fell in love with this oddly shaped car after he drove it down to Pakistan from Germany!!!! .. stories of that wonderous journey keep us entertained whenever our family gets together

Mod edit: thread title changed in May 2008
    Never give up .. cuz that is when the tide will change!...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by reezvaan View Post
    I wonder if he doesn't recommend rewinding the field coil, why Arshad (Jail Road/LHR) would have mastered it over the years? When I had contacted him last time in mid of summers to get the dynamos and the wiper motor conversion from 6V to 12V, he thought it could be done anytime when he was somewhat free from his Car AC side of business.

Or did I gather it all wrong and he too would only be going for armature re-winding?
    field coils can be rewound..its not impossible but to get it right you need time and experience plus the right tools / set-up

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    ok so after 6 failed attempts at making appointments with Khalid electrician today i finally gave up and quite litterally thought that the chances of getting the thing wired up were over. BUT,... as usual the VWCOP management came to the rescue and Nasir arranged an electrician and told me to just come over to where he was (no questions asked). Took the thing over to him, parked her up and went out looking for some parts etc while we waited for the electrician to arrive.

i was wondering why the electrician was taking so long to come but eventually Abid ustaad turned up and got straight down to work. However while working on my car we got an emergency call from shahzeb that he needed some emergency wiring sorted on his car as his tail light werent working so we took Abid ustaad off my car to fix his problem first. Was SERIOUSLY rewarding because not only did Abid ustaad get his tail lights working but he now also has indicators and,.... wait for it,... WORKING SEMAPHORES!!!!

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 318753
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 318754
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 318755
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 318756
    Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP) - 318757

His car has just become that much more awesome,.. how many people can say that they have workign semaphores in PK??
    is anyone paying attention? i just announced that one of our club members has working semaphores,.... WAKE UP!!!
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The good news is that today 90% of the main wiring and stuff has been done on my 182, tomorrow we'll be changing the ignition from a Toyota one to a NOS VW unit.

once i've got a few more parts sourced and fit i'm pretty much done in terms of electrics (not counting the wiper motor). you all should check out Abid ustaad next time you need some wiring done. Only problem is the Abid ustaad does not reside in ISB. he is from Peshawar and we can call him with 12-24 hours notice. as a refference, he's done quite a few of Nasirs cars and now has done my 182 as well,.. his work speaks for itself.

At least after being "stood up" by khalid electrician 6 times in a row,.. i've finally got a guy who has comepletely rewired my car and is never "busy".
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

is anyone paying attention? i just announced that one of our club members has working semaphores,.... WAKE UP!!!
    Amazing work done, now it's the only VW with working semaphores in PK right?
    Abid Ustaad should receive an award of appreciation from the VWCOP.
    - '06 Toyota Belta 1.0L X - '68 VW Beetle 1300 DP - '89 Nissan B12 E16

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by murtaza_murti View Post
    Amazing work done, now it's the only VW with working semaphores in PK right?
    Abid Ustaad should receive an award of appreciation from the VWCOP.
    as far as we know these are the only working semaphores, as for Abid ustaad, we're thinking that as a gift from the club in the near future we could get him a toolkit as he's lost everything he had when his daughter got sick. he's a very talented guy but sadly he put his life on hold for his daughter a few years back when she needed medical attention and now he's having difficulty starting up again.

it's people like this the VWCOP should support.

once they're stop there'll be almost nobody able to take their place.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

as far as we know these are the only working semaphores, as for Abid ustaad, we're thinking that as a gift from the club in the near future we could get him a toolkit as he's lost everything he had when his daughter got sick. he's a very talented guy but sadly he put his life on hold for his daughter a few years back when she needed medical attention and now he's having difficulty starting up again.

it's people like this the VWCOP should support.

once they're stop there'll be almost nobody able to take their place.
    Exactly
    - '06 Toyota Belta 1.0L X - '68 VW Beetle 1300 DP - '89 Nissan B12 E16

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wait till I drive around the country indicating with the semaphores from left to right just to listen to the lovely ‘ting ting’ bell inside as the oval doesn't come with auto cancelation and I love to step out of the car just to see the look of a working semaphore.. It's amazing seeing them live in action!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and they have been taken out of my bus by the previous owner of this Oval when the bus was not in my ownership

Shahzeb needs to find me a pair for my Kombi now
    1947 Lincoln Continental V12 Cabriolet, 1965 Ford Mustang V8 289 Convertible, 1954 Austin Healey 100 BN1, 1952 Citroen Traction Avant, 1969 Fiat 500 Lusso, 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton truck, 1954 Cadillac Fleetwood, 1938 Triumph Tiger 100, 1941 BSA M20 with sidecar, 1949 Triumph Speed Twin with sidecar, a 1968 VW and a 1951 Volkswagen Split Screen......previously owned; 1949 Mercedes SV 170, 1949 Jaguar Mk V, 1950 MG TD, 1958 Austin Healey Sprite, 1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, 1967 Daimler V8 250, 1967 Pontiac Firebird, 1954 Mercedes 300B, 1958 Mercedes 180D moon roof, 1971 Mercedes 280S, 1933 Chrysler, 1963 Mini Austin, 1961 Fiat 500 Nouva, 1979 Audi 100 5E Coupe, 1979 BMW 730 and a 1964 Triumph TR4

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by reezvaan View Post
    That was @Aleem1's RT that went missing and was never recovered once it was disappeared. Here: Aleem1's Missing 1960 RT
    has anyone checked Garden Thana.....cars are usually towed there from this location. I hope somebody can still find it in one piece.
    1947 Lincoln Continental V12 Cabriolet, 1965 Ford Mustang V8 289 Convertible, 1954 Austin Healey 100 BN1, 1952 Citroen Traction Avant, 1969 Fiat 500 Lusso, 1952 Chevrolet 1/2 ton truck, 1954 Cadillac Fleetwood, 1938 Triumph Tiger 100, 1941 BSA M20 with sidecar, 1949 Triumph Speed Twin with sidecar, a 1968 VW and a 1951 Volkswagen Split Screen......previously owned; 1949 Mercedes SV 170, 1949 Jaguar Mk V, 1950 MG TD, 1958 Austin Healey Sprite, 1956 Cadillac Sedan de Ville, 1967 Daimler V8 250, 1967 Pontiac Firebird, 1954 Mercedes 300B, 1958 Mercedes 180D moon roof, 1971 Mercedes 280S, 1933 Chrysler, 1963 Mini Austin, 1961 Fiat 500 Nouva, 1979 Audi 100 5E Coupe, 1979 BMW 730 and a 1964 Triumph TR4

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

We can just have her parked with the hazards turned on on the next VW meet
    Great job Shahzeb!! coolest thing EVER!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes yes we all are paying attention and atleast i am eager to see the video of it in action, its highly anticipated and i dont wanna be disappointed.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mahmood View Post
    yes yes we all are paying attention and atleast i am eager to see the video of it in action, its highly anticipated and i dont wanna be disappointed.
    why the video?..the car is in Islamabad...just bring some pop corn and something comfortable to sit on and we can organize a few LIVE shows

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

why the video?..the car is in Islamabad...just bring some pop corn and something comfortable to sit on and we can organize a few LIVE shows
    Boss agar demand zayada hui tu let me know mae tayari kar loon ga.. why not use that spare button that we saw neat the steering arm for hazards so that both semaphores are functional in one pull..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nmshaikh View Post
    pop corn, no masla at all, sirf sameer bhai se dar lagta hai

so when VW guys are having a GTG here, its been time i have my hands on a bug, will love to see few of em, koi eid milan waghera ................ k nahi

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shahzebulhaq View Post
    Boss agar demand zayada hui tu let me know mae tayari kar loon ga.. why not use that spare button that we saw neat the steering arm for hazards so that both semaphores are functional in one pull..
    yes demand is high, jus do it coz marks will be awarded not only on funtionality but on deployment too

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wait till I drive around the country indicating with the semaphores from left to right just to listen to the lovely ‘ting ting’ bell inside as the oval doesn't come with auto cancelation and I love to step out of the car just to see the look of a working semaphore.. It's amazing seeing them live in action!!
    Lovely to see the semaphores up and working. B/w @shahzebulhaq, if I were you I wouldn't get carried away and keep the semaphores up & working for long.

Semaphore turn signals are mechanical type and 6V solenoids run through a mechanical mechnism which control the popping out of the semaphore arms.

Please note that at NO cost, these 6V solenoids should be fed with 12V else the higher voltage through the solenoids would burn them within no time. Use voltage resistors to bring the 12V down to 6V to feed the solenoids that slap up the semaphore arm. Another separate leg of power cord should feed the 12V bulb in the semaphore through a flasher relay.

After ensuring this arrangement, still dont keep the semaphores up for too long as even at 6V if the solenoids are kept working for long they can be fried as they were originally designed to stay up for short intervals.

Happy SEMAPHORING!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Semaphore turn signals are mechanical type and 6V solenoids run through a mechanical mechnism which control the popping out of the semaphore arms.

Please note that at NO cost, these 6V solenoids should be fed with 12V else the higher voltage through the solenoids would burn them within no time. Use voltage resistors to bring the 12V down to 6V to feed the solenoids that slap up the semaphore arm. Another separate leg of power cord should feed the 12V bulb in the semaphore through a flasher relay.

After ensuring this arrangement, still dont keep the semaphores up for too long as even at 6V if the solenoids are kept working for long they can be fried as they were originally designed to stay up for short intervals.

Happy SEMAPHORING!!!
    They are rewinded to match 12V system and run on a separate relay where one blinks the light and one keeps it up till the time single is turned off.. If they burn away after running their life we will rewind them again and restore them each time.. but my idea of oval is daily driver and enjoy it every day don’t want it parked for next generations as is.. will use it and restore it every 6 to 10 years…

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

They are rewinded to match 12V system and run on a separate relay where one blinks the light and one keeps it up till the time single is turned off.. If they burn away after running their life we will rewind them again and restore them each time.. but my idea of oval is daily driver and enjoy it every day don’t want it parked for next generations as is.. will use it and restore it every 6 to 10 years…
    Oh thats great to know that they were completely re-done. B/w where are the restoration/re-winding pictures? I am expecting you documented the whole process. I for one, would be very much interested to learn about the whole process.

Please put those pictures up here on the thread as they could be used by others as future reference.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh thats great to know that they were completely re-done. B/w where are the restoration/re-winding pictures? I am expecting you documented the whole process. I for one, would be very much interested to learn about the whole process.

Please put those pictures up here on the thread as they could be used by others as future reference.
    Yar It was done by a guy in Karachi and Amin sab got this done so am sure not documented.. but if I ever do it again will surely share em with all the members..

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Samba Semaphore Reference Guide & FAQs

Since we are talking semaphores, this might be a good idea to share the Samba Semaphore Reference Guide & FAQs for future reference for all:

Semaphore Reference Guide and FAQ

<TABLE id=table1 border=0 width=700><TBODY><TR><TD>This guide was prepared as a reference for the make, model, part number, lens color and arm style to help you quickly:

* Identify which semaphores you have, or

* Determine the correct semaphore for your vehicle.
    <TABLE id=table2 border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=center>Year</TD><TD align=center>Model and Part Number</TD><TD align=center>Brand</TD><TD align=center>Lens Color</TD><TD align=center>Arm</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>1940-1943 </TD><TD align=center>19290-left hand</TD><TD align=center></TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Ribbed</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>1940-1943</TD><TD align=center>19294-right hand</TD><TD align=center></TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Ribbed</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>1943-1946</TD><TD align=center>20 953 021-left hand</TD><TD align=center></TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Ribbed</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>1943-1946 </TD><TD align=center>20 953 022-right hand</TD><TD align=center></TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Ribbed</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>1946-July 1949</TD><TD align=center>AL 142.001

Right and Left
    or
    L143.001-2
    Right and Left

</TD><TD align=center>SWF</TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Ribbed</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>July 1949 -December 1953</TD><TD align=center>AL.143.001.1

or
    L.143.001-2
    or
    111 953 021

</TD><TD align=center>SWF</TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Ribbed</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>July 1949 -December 1953</TD><TD align=center>111 953 021</TD><TD align=center>SHO</TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Grooved</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>January 1954 -August 1957</TD><TD align=center>AL 143.001.1

or
    111 953 021B

</TD><TD align=center>SWF</TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Smooth</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>January 1954 -August 1957</TD><TD align=center>111 953 021A</TD><TD align=center>SHO</TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Smooth</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>September 1957 to August 1959</TD><TD align=center>111 953021D</TD><TD align=center>SWF</TD><TD align=center>Yellow</TD><TD align=center>Smooth</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>September 1957 to August 1959</TD><TD align=center>111 953 021C</TD><TD align=center>SHO</TD><TD align=center>Yellow</TD><TD align=center>Smooth</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>September 1959-August 1961</TD><TD align=center>111 953021F</TD><TD align=center>SWF</TD><TD align=center>Yellow</TD><TD align=center>Smooth</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>September 1959-August 1961</TD><TD align=center>111 953 021E</TD><TD align=center>SHO</TD><TD align=center>Yellow

K20605/1

</TD><TD align=center>Smooth</TD></TR><TR><TD align=center>Convertible</TD><TD align=center>151 953 021 A

or
    151 953 021 B
    or

</TD><TD align=center>SWF</TD><TD align=center>Orange</TD><TD align=center>Smooth</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Semaphore FAQ - General

How do they work?
    Semaphores are operated by a push/pull solenoid that pulls on a piston connected to the arm and lens assembly.
    The upward rise of the arm is cushioned by a spring so that the action is not too strong. When the semaphore is
    completely extended from the side of the car, the pointed end of the piston touches a metal contact sending a signal
    to the light bulb inside your speedometer confirming that your turn indicator is on. The semaphore arm retracts into
    its pocket in the side of the car under the force of gravity and a small return spring when the turn signal switch is
    turned off.

What color should the arms be?
    The arms were always painted body color; however, the arms of replacement semaphores purchased at the dealership were black.

What is the difference between SWF and SHO?
    SWF and SHO are two different manufacturers of semaphores. Parts are not interchangeable.

What is the difference between ribbed and grooved semaphores?
    Ribbed semaphores were made by SWF and grooved semaphores by SHO. These two types are often confused but you can tell the difference by the:
    * SWF or SHO logos on the underside of the body and/or on the lenses.
    * Part numbers on the underside of the body and/or on the lenses and referring to the chart above.
    * Look of the arm. For ribbed semaphores, visualize a flat surface. On the outside edges of the ribbed arm material has been added (a rib) above the flat surface of the arm. For grooved semaphores, visualize a flat surface. On the outside edges of the grooved arm material has been removed (a groove or channel) from below the flat surface of the arm.

Semaphore FAQ - Troubleshooting Why don't my semaphores rise properly? (They rise slowly, bind or don't rise at all).
    Recommended steps:
    1. Ensure that the semaphore is centered in the semaphore post. It may bind by rubbing on the side of the body post (not centered left to right) or may bind on the bottom or top of the post (not centered top to bottom).
    2. Remove semaphore and inspect the piston-it may be rusty or very dirty-if so, it must be replace or cleaned.
    3. Check tension of return spring because it may be too great. This is the spring that is on the side of the semaphore and winds around the hinge pin.
    4. Check all moving parts and linkages by slowly moving the arm up and down to see if any part is binding or catching. Sometimes the pin that goes through the tail of the piston is offset and catches, other times the link between the piston and the piston tail is bent and catches or binds.

Can I operate semaphores on 12 volts?
    This topic is covered in an article in the June 1997 issue of "Hot VWs". I strongly encourage running your semaphores on 6 volts if it is at all possible. If you must use 12 volts, your options are:
    * Install 12-volt, 3-watt semaphore bulbs and you are done! The main downside is that the push/pull solenoid may quickly get hot and possibly burn out. If you choose this option, don't leave the semaphores "up" for long.
    * Install a 12-volt to 6-volt step down reducer. A key drawback is the heat produced by the device. It must be safely mounted well away from any other wiring, parts or person that could be damaged or hurt by the heat KYMCO Motorsports in Costa Mesa, California carries reducers including a step down adjustable type reducer.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List