Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 484 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Like Tree2125Likes

Thread: Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Volkswagen Club of Pakistan (VWCOP)

Lets all contribute pics and memories to this timeless classic that has faithfully served generations. It is my 1st car memory and my dad who is a Beetle enthusiast at one time had a total of 4 beetles in our garage Here's a little history of this miraculous German wonder: 'The history of the Beetle really goes back to pre 2nd world war Germany when Ferdinand Porsche had a vision of a mass produced vehicle that was affordable to the average German, an idea that was shared with the young Adolf Hitler who himself could not drive, but was a car fanatic. Hitler was apparently influenced by the achievements of Henry Ford and his production lines - reading Ford's biography while in prison during 1923. Porsche had previously worked on some other small cars that used many elements later to be included in the Beetle. The Type 32 prototype NSU of 1934 was an air-cooled rear engined four cylinder horizontally opposed powered car that used torsion bar suspension and featured beetle-like styling.' --- source - Google.co.uk lets keep the posts rolling - add pics of bugs you've owned or own! I'll add my dad's bug family pics as well ... I guess he fell in love with this oddly shaped car after he drove it down to Pakistan from Germany!!!! .. stories of that wonderous journey keep us entertained whenever our family gets together

Mod edit: thread title changed in May 2008
    Never give up .. cuz that is when the tide will change!...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@DP
    That's true... they are all probably busy getting their hands dirty... LOL!
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Storm...
    yup... n i kno ov 2 new upcoming (classified) projects in KHI... :p
    my hands arnt clean either... m still stuck with the A/T... had to stop the work, due to exams n office...
    '70 VW Beetle, '76 Jeep CJ5 (2jzge), '76 Honda CD 175, '79 Mazda GLC (3sge Beams), '04 KIA Sportage (3CT), '13 Toyota Corolla

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@DP
    keep us updated on thse projects once they are "unleashed".
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

they'll b the "slow n steady" ones... but sure will keep all posted...
    '70 VW Beetle, '76 Jeep CJ5 (2jzge), '76 Honda CD 175, '79 Mazda GLC (3sge Beams), '04 KIA Sportage (3CT), '13 Toyota Corolla

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

most beetle projects are slowand steady nowdays since parts are hard to come by and people are starting to pay more atention to detail now. How's your ride doing?

What do you think of the parts i scored (a few posts back)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i totally agree with you... n it sure has become n expensive hobby again (i love it )...
    the car is coming along fine, in fact it is on the road, but is missing a few "details", so hav not posted any pics (did post 1 "identify the car")...
    the bumpers/lights and the bumper grommets r available in KHI, as far as i kno... but i m sure novice enthusiasts will benefit from the details that you are providing n use this for their upcoming projects... way to go/keep it up...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@DP
    i just went through this thread again and i foudn that a novice VW fan coudl easily identify rebuld a car pretty well.

Lately i've gone into "VW mode" and i'm spending every moment reading rebuilding/workshop manuals etc. I thinnk i'm goin gslightly mad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

same with me... hav been meeting up with Asad Bhai almost every weekend... its kinda fun to luk at all the stuff that he has, n his detailed knowledge about everything related to the word BEETLE...
    saw the Volksworld 2005 on DVD at his place, n man wuz i jealous of the things people hav done to their rides abroad... cudnt think straight the whole day...
    n jasim wuz with us this saturday too (i disappeared for the evening n then joined them for dinner)...:p

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

here's a few trivial facts which will help a few of you guys:

1) The original fuel line was copper from the pump to the carb (not rubber and there was no filter in that line)
    2) Plug gaps should be 0.7mm (0.028 inches)
    3) Contact point gap should be 0.4mm (0.016inches)
    4) Use petrolium jelly on battery points not grease
    5) Autos have the similar rear suspension as superbeetles
    6) Try to get a magnetic sump plug to catch small particles in the oil
    7) Engine oil should be 20W/50
    8) Transmission oil should be SAE 90EP
    9) Brake fluid should be SAE J1703/ DOT3 (manual)
    10) Fan securing nut & fan/generator drive pulley nut should be torqued to 45 lb/ft (6.1mkg) & 43 lb/ft (6mkg) respectively
    11) Original thermostat should open at 65-70 degrees C (149-158F)
    12) Cooling fans should be balanced or they can cause strain on alot of engine parts and can explode due to centrifugal force
    13) 1300 fan volume @4000rpm=20 cu.ft.
    14) 1500 fan volume @4000rpm=21 cu.ft.
    15) Fuel pump delivery rate should be 400cc/minute
    16) Fuel pump pressure should be 3.5 lbs/sq. inch
    17) Plugs should be Bosch W145 T1 or Champion L88A
    18) Firing order should be 1-4-3-2
    19) Clutch is a single plate disc Fitchel & Sachs unit
    clutch cover and flywheel bolts should be torqued at 18ls.ft (2.5mkg)
    20) Brake shoe lining thickness should be 3.8-4.0mm (4.3-4.5mm oversized)
    21) Brake shoe lining width should be 40mm
    22) Total brake shoe surface area (contact patch) should be 716cm.sq.
    23) Maximum current of generator (12V) is 30 amps
    24) Mean regulating voltage of generator (12V) is 14 volts
    25) Nominal output Speed for generator (12v) is 2000rpm
    26) Cut in speed for generator (12v) is 1450rpm
    27) Nominal power for starter motor (12v) is 6V 0.5hp

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@DP
    no doubt asad knows his beetles,.. i will be tapping into his brain for help later on during my cars build as well.

I know how you feel about the cars abroad,... last night i felt like booking a flight to california so that i could buy all the parts i need for my 1303 project (it's cheaper to buy new parts there than it is even here as a 2nd hand part)

@all
    look what i found in storage from when i built my first 68 speedster in 1999...

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -702005

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@storm

thanks for the info I asked for.

great contribution regrding the tuning and other specs, but I hardly think any mechanic over here would understand if told to adjust components according to these specs.

About parts,
    I Myself wanted to buy a Super Beetle, a 1302S to be particular but left the idea because of the Front suspension parts problem. I am still skeptical about buying even a simple Beetle because I do not quite know what I am getting myself into!!!!
    Its been almost 4-5 months since I have been surveying the Beetle scene here in Lahore, and the situation is still not clear. But one thing is for sure, this post and members such as storm(sameer bhai), Asad bhai, devilzpassion, ahsanmq all you guys are helping me a lot.
    BTW if there is demand why doesnt any body import parts on a commercial basis. Like for the SUperBeetle Front suspension.

:-)
    KNOW THYSELF!---When it is dark enough, you can see the stars---Is it us who live in fantasy, or is it reality, which is unreal.---The thoughts you have,is the stuff you are--Billy was a thirsty boy but now he is no more, cause' what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@autobanda
    thanks for the compliment buddy.

As for parts, from time to time our parts suppliers surprise us with special parts but generally they do a great job on importing routine parts for beetles. I guess it's not economical for them to specially import specific parts for specific models (like 1302 & 1303) sinc ethose parts might sit in their shops for years.

If you are interested in a VW i've heard that skullbox's ex beetle is possibly back on the market...

Volkswagen Club of Pakistan VWCOP -702025

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@storm

its well deserved
    :-)

thanks for the info regarding the Beetle but I am more into getting an average low cost Beetle and building it up as I generate the cash and according to the way I like it. For the time being I still dont know what kind of a rebuild I want for my Beetle, but I suppose it will come to me when I actually get one ;-)
    KNOW THYSELF!---When it is dark enough, you can see the stars---Is it us who live in fantasy, or is it reality, which is unreal.---The thoughts you have,is the stuff you are--Billy was a thirsty boy but now he is no more, cause' what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

whatever you do i'll suggest a post 67 model (68 or later) since the parts are more easily available.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

this is one of things I have learned, in the past 4-5 months, and I have narrowed my search criteria down to a 1969-74, non-super bug with a 1300cc or above motor.

BTW did 1974 non-super bugs come with a 1300cc or were they only available with 1200cc motors.

What would you say about buying a 74 bug.

Almost all the bugs I have seen in Lahore have owners who actually expect to earn a profit while selling their car.
    :-) if you know what I mean.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1) Good criteria, you'll for sure find a good bug in that league.

2) Bit of a grey area for me still, as far as i know the 74 1300 was the AR engine (which i have in my 1303) not too sure if it came in the regular 74 also or not, but i'm sure ther ewas a 1300 equivalent in the 74 if not you can alwasy find a 1300 engine andswap it.

3) Buy it if you can find one,.. almost everything can be repaired

4) Sounds typical for most pepl in PK. both my beetles costed me around 175 (and i have reciepts to prove it) but i sold them bth for around 150, afterall thay are used cars and WILL lose value.... People have got to stop being so bloody greedy over here.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Storm

Bhai, I got inspired by your old beetle. Can you post more pix of it ?
    B2 Innovations - Events & Media Managers

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129332754507

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@kiani1
    which one? my black roadster or the burgundy 68

(please not the one posted a few lines above is not mine, it is skullbox's car)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

saw this add and couldn't stop laughing:

https://www.pakwheels.com/xt_details.asp?CarID=18555

Comments : *RESTORED IN ORIGIONAL CONDITION WITH NEW TYRES AND BETTRY INTERIOR AND ENGINE BRAND NEW WORTH SEEING LEFT HAND ENGLAND MODEL.

seller claims that it is a left hand drive UK model,... LOL! the UK doesn't get LHD models they use RHD over there.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@storm...
    lolz... where is the black exterior???

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List