22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default transmission installation in a VW beetle

The transmission presently installed in my 1960 beetle is less than perfect and howls like crazy at highway speeds. The gears crunched between shifting and the throw bearing made moaning sounds when the clutch was depressed. Luckily I found this gent in Michigan US who had been rebuilding transmissions for a living for 40 years before retiring and now works from home. He has a cache of NOS parts to build a transmission from scratch. The best part is that he builds a transmission as per the customers specs..from mild to wild. I don't do any crazy driving but I still opted for a new 3.88 ring and pinion, new pinion bearings, new syncro rings, welded and honed 3rd and 4th gear, new axles and tubes with new axle bearings and a new throw-out bearing. All the parts mentioned above are new old stock genuine VW parts made in Germany as the Good Lord wanted them to be, all fitted in a new later model transmission IRS case converted to swing axle.

I am including pictures here but caution you to refrain from drooling on the keyboard please.I realize its pure p*rn for those looking for a half decent transmission to install in their VW's.

I brought the transmission when it was done but the local VW mechanic wants $600 plus tax to install it in the car! Now I have seen it all done and there are tons of videos on Youtube but it still gives me the shivers when I think of the job ahead. However I am not going to pay anyone $600 plus 13% tax (and that too is a ball park figure given the approx. hours it would take..the final figure could well be a lot higher)

I have the car on stands in the garage and have started with removing the wires. Even though there are not a whole lot of them but I am not taking any chances and have labeled them to remind me of their location when its time to put everything back together. (hopefully in a few weeks time.) I'll take pictures where ever possible and share with you the progress in the days / weeks ahead.

Please wish me luck. I have a feeling i'll need lots of it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nmshaikh View Post
    That is true. But then the fun would be to think about the last time I did all of this, singlehandedly, in below freezing temperature.

yep been there done that - removed and installed a clutch in hard freeze rain outside.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So what was the verdict? Fixed? Seal failure? Something else?

Sent from my toaster using PW Forums toaster app
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    So what was the verdict? Fixed? Seal failure? Something else?

Sent from my toaster using PW Forums toaster app
    It was the main seal failure and was replaced without much grief. Billo is ready to accept new challenges this summer.
    Invest in precious metal.....buy a Volkswagen!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Storm now I am looking fwd to your avatars more then what you have to say in your comments ))
    A car for the people, an affordable Volkswagen, would bring great joy to the masses and the problems of building such a car must be faced with courage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

User Tag List