Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Volkswagen to plant its feet in Pakistan?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Volkswagen to plant its feet in Pakistan?

Breaking monopoly: Volkswagen to plant its feet in Pakistan? - The Express Tribune

Volkswagen to plant its feet in Pakistan? -1584407

ISLAMABAD:

The incumbent government has gotten a rare opportunity to break the decades’ old monopoly of local car assemblers as world-renowned auto manufacturer, Volkswagen, is keen to introduce its brands in Pakistan.

Germany’s biggest and the world’s second largest automobile manufacturer in terms of market share, Volkswagen, wants to do business in Pakistan, said an official of the Board of Investment (BoI).

A 14-member business delegation of Germany businessmen is visiting Pakistan including representatives of automobile company, Volkswagen, said Dr Cyrill Nunn, German Ambassador to Pakistan on Tuesday. He was addressing a press conference to share details of what he described as a “highly important” visit.

According to Pakistani officials, Volkswagen was keen to do business and the government also wanted at least one European brand to set up a plant in the country to break the monopoly of local car assemblers. They said the three local assemblers have colluded and resultantly, on average, a locally-assembled car is roughly Rs500,000 expensive.

In allowing the new manufacturer to set up plants, the government has to amend its existing automobile policy, said Pakistani officials. They added that the government has decided, in principle, to amend the automobile policy and will add medium-knocked down (MKD) units in the definition. The German officials had requested the government to accommodate semi-knocked down and MKD units in the automobile category.

The Volkswagen is said to be engaged in negotiations with prospective local partners, said Pakistani officials.

In the next two years, the government will try to introduce at least one European brand – German or Italian – said Miftah Ismail, BoI chairman, while talking to The Express Tribune. Ismail welcomed the German delegation, hoping that it will help strengthen bilateral economic ties.

“To get such a delegation into Pakistan, you have to persuade them and once they are in Pakistan they realise it’s a huge country,” said Dr Nunn.

Other areas of interest

Meanwhile, a multi-billion Euro energy giant, Voith, is also part of the business delegation. The company has won the contract for providing machinery and equipment for Dasu Hydropower Project and is now eying the Diamer-Bhasha Dam. Companies dealing in consumer goods and transportation are also part of the delegation, said the ambassador.

The delegation will hold meetings with Minister for Commerce, BoI, Chief Minister Punjab, besides meeting the business community leaders in Karachi.

The visiting delegation will be keen to know the steps the government was taking for economic reforms, reducing energy shortages and investment opportunities in Pakistan, said Dr Nunn.

Dr Nunn said that Pakistan’s decision to allocate funds for Diamer-Bhasha dam and two Liquefied Natural Gas-fired power plants in the new budget offers business opportunities and German companies will be bidding for these projects.

In 2014, Pakistan’s exports to Germany went up by 20% on the back of the Generalised System of Preference Plus scheme, said the ambassador. However, Germany’s exports to Pakistan plunged by 3.2% and this is also a reason behind the delegation’s visit, said the ambassador.

“The volume of bilateral trade, currently standing at €2.1 billion, is far less than the potential and even lower than Germany’s trade with countries like Bangladesh,” said Dr Nunn.

Published in The Express Tribune, June 10th, 2015.
    YASER

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by v9sDEF View Post
    You're looking at the present situation. Manufacturers look 10-20 years in the future. There's a lot of untapped potential.
    Ah yes, the good old Pakistani huge potential of some unspecified time in the future, as if other markets are not growing too to compete for investments. Please do tell me when a new manufacturer actually announces a new plant. Potential by itself does not mean much.

May be we need to actually make a tap, or may be buy one? :lol:

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by VCheng View Post
    Ah yes, the good old Pakistani huge potential of some unspecified time in the future, as if other markets are not growing too to compete for investments. Please do tell me when a new manufacturer actually announces a new plant. Potential by itself does not mean much.

May be we need to actually make a tap, or may be buy one? :lol:
    The difference between the average Pakistani saying there's untapped potential and me is that I have data to back that up (which I can't share).

Tapping a potentially huge market does not necessarily mean new players coming in. Existing players are already looking to introduce new cars in different segments - studies are going on - vendor selection is going on. New players will increase competition among existing players and increase the variety of cars available to the Pakistani public, but don't expect them coming in till after 2019 or so. These things take time.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The difference between the average Pakistani saying there's untapped potential and me is that I have data to back that up (which I can't share).

Tapping a potentially huge market does not necessarily mean new players coming in. Existing players are already looking to introduce new cars in different segments - studies are going on - vendor selection is going on. New players will increase competition among existing players and increase the variety of cars available to the Pakistani public, but don't expect them coming in till after 2019 or so. These things take time.
    Of course. Of course. But, increasing the variety of cars available to the Pakistani public is not going to be easy. Ever. For a number of reasons that are unchanging and evident. It will be interesting to see the end results of such studies as you claim are going on, if and when the results are released, or at least the decisions based on them. We can wait.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Of course you cannot share. I have a bridge to sell you in New York - I cannot share its name either.

now lets come back to reality, in what sense would offering more flavors of vehicles in Pakistan be a good idea if there is absolutely zero transport infrastructure, dont mention the two bit measly underpasses and paltry excuse of highways on which unregulated vehicles are driven and monitored by police which are nothing more than puppets. What about customs and duties which are from the time of the RAJ and were implied to only favour the crown.

Lets take some metrics here, IMC setup their assembly line in the 90s, it was hammered everyday on TV and newspapers that this will make for good exports and revenue generation - what happened to that? - I have yet to see ONE part on the toyota global parts catalog that says made in Pakistan. not even little bits like fastening clips, nothing, zilch, nada, zero etc. Let alone a complete car and its been quite some time now hasnt it?

same with the other two.

in very simple terms - such enterprise are setup to either write off tax or to double dip the cheese - which is happening already, VW are in hot soup nowadays since the dieselgate problem so I think its best to put this aside.. There have been many other newspieces promising this business which eventually end up at raddi paper wala and die off.

and now lets get to other issues - energy, transport, economic peace are non existant in Pakistan, to setup such a large enterprise you need some solidity and stability in your own courtyard before inviting others, You dont need to look afar - a few hours in a library scanning old newspapers is enough.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Of course. Of course. But, increasing the variety of cars available to the Pakistani public is not going to be easy. Ever. For a number of reasons that are unchanging and evident. It will be interesting to see the end results of such studies as you claim are going on, if and when the results are released, or at least the decisions based on them. We can wait.

Who said it was easy?

You don't want to know how long it takes to get the parent company on board with launching a new CKD model. But don't get me wrong - when I say there's untapped demand, it's not like Pakistan's annual sales will cross 500k in the next few years...i'm talking about a reasonable increase - from there it's all guesswork.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Who said it was easy?

You don't want to know how long it takes to get the parent company on board with launching a new CKD model. But don't get me wrong - when I say there's untapped demand, it's not like Pakistan's annual sales will cross 500k in the next few years...i'm talking about a reasonable increase - from there it's all guesswork.
    It is more pie-in-the-sky thinking than guesswork, but that is just my view.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    Of course you cannot share. I have a bridge to sell you in New York - I cannot share its name either.
    lol...I have nothing to prove. It's a discussion right?

Lets take some metrics here, IMC setup their assembly line in the 90s, it was hammered everyday on TV and newspapers that this will make for good exports and revenue generation - what happened to that? - I have yet to see ONE part on the toyota global parts catalog that says made in Pakistan. not even little bits like fastening clips, nothing, zilch, nada, zero etc. Let alone a complete car and its been quite some time now hasnt it?
    So far 100 toyota corollas have been exported to Sri Lanka in 2014. As for parts, i'm not sure about the rules regarding parts, but vendors do have capacity constraints so that is probably a reason.

in very simple terms - such enterprise are setup to either write off tax or to double dip the cheese - which is happening already, VW are in hot soup nowadays since the dieselgate problem so I think its best to put this aside.. There have been many other newspieces promising this business which eventually end up at raddi paper wala and die off.
    VW, even if it does come, will only do so after 2020. It's a long time for that - who knows how the market may have changed.

and now lets get to other issues - energy, transport, economic peace are non existant in Pakistan, to setup such a large enterprise you need some solidity and stability in your own courtyard before inviting others, You dont need to look afar - a few hours in a library scanning old newspapers is enough.
    Situation is slowly stabilizing. One only needs to look at the 2003-2006 era to see how car manufacturing shot up during a relatively stable period and extrapolate it now. Now i'm not saying there's going to be a huge jump - but the situation is positive for existing auto manufacturers and could act as a signal for new entrants.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It is more pie-in-the-sky thinking than guesswork, but that is just my view.
    After the next 5 year forecasts, obviously.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

lol...I have nothing to prove. It's a discussion right?

So far 100 toyota corollas have been exported to Sri Lanka in 2014. As for parts, i'm not sure about the rules regarding parts, but vendors do have capacity constraints so that is probably a reason.

VW, even if it does come, will only do so after 2020. It's a long time for that - who knows how the market may have changed.

Situation is slowly stabilizing. One only needs to look at the 2003-2006 era to see how car manufacturing shot up during a relatively stable period and extrapolate it now. Now i'm not saying there's going to be a huge jump - but the situation is positive for existing auto manufacturers and could act as a signal for new entrants.

10 cars - bravo - standing ovation for IMC here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a herculean feat for desi pakistani market

in reality its like the crumbs you see in the end of a bag of chips.

whatever you wrote about the slowly changing situation and all the nice fairy tales of the future having gold bullion for everyone in Pakistan - I have read this time and again and every single time its the same story of a prince coming to save Pakistan on his gallant steed.. There is no prince because no prince wants to come and kiss a fat, ugly, smelly and mentally challenged shahzaadi.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

After the next 5 year forecasts, obviously.

Aah Ko Chahiye Ek Umar Asar Honay Tak,
    Kaun Jeeta Hai Teri Zulf Ke Sar Honay Tak.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

10 cars - bravo - standing ovation for IMC here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a herculean feat for desi pakistani market

in reality its like the crumbs you see in the end of a bag of chips.

whatever you wrote about the slowly changing situation and all the nice fairy tales of the future having gold bullion for everyone in Pakistan - I have read this time and again and every single time its the same story of a prince coming to save Pakistan on his gallant steed.. There is no prince because no prince wants to come and kiss a fat, ugly, smelly and mentally challenged shahzaadi.
    Not 10, but 100 cars. Paid for the Gurnamint of Paakustan by arm-twisting Jurnails for scoring political points in Sri Lanka against India. Not a commercial deal. At all.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes - missed a zero - sorry bout that - but 100 cars!! - for a toyota corolla assembly line that has been established since the early 90s

hahahahahahahah -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yes - missed a zero - sorry bout that - but 100 cars!! - for a toyota corolla assembly line that has been established since the early 90s

hahahahahahahah -
    Hey, 100 cars is a bigger deal than 3 jets to Nigeria, right?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

lol. you asked.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3991 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

lol. you asked.

we may consider it a plus point on the resume, but infact its terribly poor.

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Volkswagen News

How come you post something which was published in a local newspaper more than a year back.

And without its update on the outcome of the meeting referred in the text.

Note: Today is July 7th, 2016

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mushiii61 View Post
    How come you post something which was published in a local newspaper more than a year back.

And without its update on the outcome of the meeting referred in the text.

Note: Today is July 7th, 2016
    can you quote which post you on about?
    or you can have a look at the post date as well

Sent from my SM-G920F using PW Forums mobile app

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

User Tag List