Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 1966 Volkswagen Beetle Restoration -

Assalam-o-Alaikum Everyone .
    **** SO THIS IS WHERE WE START/SHORT HISTORY**** : So I had this craze light up for a Volkswagen Beetle A few years ago . After some time i managed to get a hang of a 1966 (1965 end in paper's) beetle from islamabad . it was lying around open to rain and the harsh weather . A lady had bought it sometime before i got my hand's on her . according to her she bought it for Travel purposes to her university and failed to maintain the car (Normal Case Y'know) . so I payed this guy , topped the car up with fuel and was on the chase for a 200-km journey from islamabad to my then Home city Peshawar with a backup safety car though on the very same day . Not to forget that after topping the car with fuel up out of nowhere the car starting dripping petrol , it was a broken/old fuel line underneath the car which we then covered with a plastic shopping bag (was changed on reaching peshawar) so we could continue the journey , the steering play and brakes were dreadfull that day , but nonetheless we managed to reach the city of flower's with two hand's,leg's and everything in it's usual places . though on reaching peshawar the fuel finished and the engine stopped firing (you won't believe it) just 5 metres within my house (i couldnt have thanked enough) . So we had to go and bring some petrol afterwards anyways .
    Details :
    Make: volkswagen
    Model: Beetle
    Year Of Manufacture : 1966
    Factory Color : White
    Plate : islamabad -
    Present Color : green
    ***WHAT WE DID TO IT AFTER WE GOT IT : ***
    Over the past whole year we have been working at Home and fixing all the mechanical Etc Issues of the Car - Brakes(bleedingthem,newbrakeoil,mastercylindersemi overhaul) - Steering(newgermansteeringdisc,newgoodusedsteering box etc) - Engine(timing,oil,newbracketsetupforimrovedthecool ing,newplugs, and many other tweaks you know how these engines are) - Electricals(pretty much working , did some work but will be doing complete new wiring job , its on the board) - all by ourselves and ma sha allah the car is fine , no doubt there must be and are many things still to be figured out but its kinda drivable(not so now 2016) .
    ***NOW THE THING'S WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO DO TO IT **

****PLANS/GOALS ***
    1- Complete Engine Overhaul with New Piston/cylinders,oil cooler etc .
    2-Distributor overhaul with new part's
    3-Cooling system upgrade with a Used or New original German Generator/alternator (Needed if anyone can source)
    4-Body off for Rust Treatment , Curing , painting .
    5- Good used Rear Fender's (are out of shape) or reshaping these if possible . (needed)
    6- Paintjob
    7- Deepening the rear Original Vw 15x4.5(or are they 5.5) steelies to 7" or 8" (Pre-65 Non slotted Set or pair of steelies needed / Will exchange with my 1966 slotted lightweight 9.5/10 steelies too)
    8-rear torsion adjustement to lower it as much as it allow's us . With putting on new german torsion cover Bushings .
    9- New Front and Back Short shocks.
    10-Front Beam Shortening by 3-4" with Sway away Type Adjusters (i got 7" airkewld ones)(will use another beam probably/anyone have a beam up for sale or any sources?)
    11-Installation of 2.5" new Empi Drop spindles , New Empi long travel balljoints,new tie rod ends, bearings , Brake cylinders, pads , camber adjusters , caster shims (if needed) for the front suspension .** [DONE]**
    12- Planning on Air suspension upfront.
    13- (130-135-140-145-150-155-160 Pair of tires needed for the front) *Cannot find/help

Rest of the idea's , Thing's to do will be discussed in the thread , these above are some basic *To do* thing's so .

would also mention that many thing's will be discussed and sorted out overtime in the thread . I hope everyone enjoys this thread overtime and takes loads of help out of it . Will be updating the thread for Further Question's and Discussion's . Enjoy . tag the vw guys . .[IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Horsepower is how Fast you hit the wall ,
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bol for project I hope you don't have any plans of water cooled engine swap

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mishaqkhan1 View Post
    CALLING OUT ALL THE VOLKSWAGEN GURU'S -
    Warm Greetings to everyone here on pakwheels .
    So I had this craze light up for a Volkswagen Beetle A few years ago and by the grace of allah i Bought this car Last year from islamabad . it was lying around open to rain and the weather . A lady had bought it a few months before i got it from her . according to her she bought it for Travel purposes to her university and failed to maintain the car as was in bad mechanical shape . EG : starting problems - brake problems -Aloot of steering play etc etc .
    Surprisingly after i bought it I drove it From islamabad To Peshawar on The very same day . driving the car was very difficult as we had to face The massive steering play and Weak brakes .
    NOTE : The day i drove it from islamabad to peshawar , When i reached peshawar , After a couple of days i Discovered That we had drove it from islamabad WITHOUT GEAR OIL in the Gearbox . But shukar Alhamdullilah the Box is still in great Nick . No problems whatsoever ma sha allah .

Furthermore I would like to Highlight few details of the car below :
    Make: volkswagen
    Model: Beetle
    year : 1966
    original Color : White
    Plate : islamabad - IDC4142
    present Color : green

So this thread I would like to dedicate to my Volkswagen beetle and Its long awaited restoration
    The name Restoration to an average person is Normally Related to Bodywork and painting it . which no doubt gives a new look to the car , but theres much more to a restoration job of a classic/Vintage vehicle e.g VW Beetle. In this thread though majority of the restoration process is gonna be related to body and styling as all the mechanical things were solved by us over the past whole year and listing them here would be impossible for me .
    so
    Over the past whole year Me and My Dad Have been working at Home and fixing all the mechanical Etc Issues of the Car - Brakes - Steering - Engine - Electrical - all by ourselves and ma sha allah the car is purring like a kitten , no doubt there must be and are many things still to be figured out but its totally drivable and safe .

I would like to apologise to some people who might get offended by the things im going to do to the car (Modification) though - :- (No Body Modification - Body-chassis will remain Stock .
    But To please me I will have to take the following steps .
    My plans for the car currently are Getting a bit of Bodywork done - I am not tearing the car apart right now because as you know I'm a teenager and a body off restoration will cost more and therefore not enough pocket money with me for a whole proper resto but the car will enjoy a body off in the future . its at a bodywork shop right now in Peshawar and getting minor bodywork done - Fenders were in bad shape as the lady driver ran into many things xD . - Floor pans had a bad patch in the driver side front pan and a few more bits .
    After this Gets done will get it to a paintshop and they will Carry out the Tearing process for paint - removing the paint and Using ( Poteen ) to Fine and smoothen everything out .
    Inbetween these two processes i have plans For lowering the car . I WILL NOT SLAM IT . Just a Mild drop because the stock height just feels ( JEEPISH) to me . its just a bit high . and the high look doesn't surprise me .
    For the front Beam I Brought AIRKEWLD 7" ADJUSTERS From The U.S . Along with some caster shims and a few other bits .I Have plan to Cut the beam About 3-4 Inches . The problem Im facing right now Is i dont know Anyone That Competent To weld The beam Back ( :- I need suggestion's here or if anyone Knows Some Good TIG-MIG welder anywhere within the area of Islamabad - peshawar ) . because i dont want to take Risk To ruin it by welding it from a local guy which i dont know . ( Tig and mig welders are rare too . these guys use gas etc )
    Furthermore Lowering the rear Wont be a problem . It is easily adjustable and a chart too is available Here on the internet . but i still am gonna need help from vw gurus and all the enthusiasts here .
    After this gets done or inbetween this process i have plans to Overhaul the Brakes from Khalid In rawalpindi ( Heard he does an excellent job - or if anyone can suggest someone better ??? )
    The other thing i am having a problem with is I need DEEP DISH wheels for my car . As those type of rims Will Suit The Mild drop im aiming for . I have two options ive been told :
    1- Cut the center part (Nut pattern) off the Vw beetle wheels and weld it onto another Deep dish rims ( ive heard 'Truck wala' people do it ??)
    SUGGESTION are welcomed . does anyone know who can do this Job ?
    2- Change the Bolt pattern to our 100/114 PCD 4/5 Lug Pattern - I dont know how this gets done or who does it or can do ?? Kindly suggest and HELP ?!!! .
    I would love to stick with PLAN (1) as original vw deep wheels would look gorgeous .
    And i request All of the car guys here that i am sticking with the above modification's and kindly do not tell me to stay stock height-stock non-deep rims etc . Only your help regarding doing these processes safely will be extremely appreciated

Furthermore i would like to mention that There is Much more to it than rims,paint etc That will be discussed overtime in the thread . I hope everyone enjoys this thread overtime and takes help out of it . Will be updating the thread for Further Question's and Discussion's and Thankyou for taking your time out to read my long boring thread Enjoy . and yes kindly Whoever knows any Vw guy/guru here please tag them so we can learn something usefull from them . I will post more pictures in a couple of days .
    Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    Bol for project I hope you don't have any plans of water cooled engine swap
    Thankyou Sir
    Well , To be honest i did have a plan to swap a suzuki G-13 or A mitsubishi 660 Turbo . the advantages were alot . you could have Air Conditioning , Better Fuel average etc etc . But Not having the sound of the Classic volkswagen beetle and the Air cooled thingy it wouldnt have been a beetle then .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

go scooby on it, then enjoy the rumble.

be prepared to be hit with stones from your neighbors when you fire it up at 3 AM
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thankyou Sir
    Well , To be honest i did have a plan to swap a suzuki G-13 or A mitsubishi 660 Turbo . the advantages were alot . you could have Air Conditioning , Better Fuel average etc etc . But Not having the sound of the Classic volkswagen beetle and the Air cooled thingy it wouldnt have been a beetle then .
    If you are going for liquid cooled engine I would say do something like Porsche 911 put the radiator in front while engine being at back through I think its way out of any one in pak you would literally need a your home water pump to supply water to engine :p

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Subscribed ...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thnks

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@saboor73
    haha! yep that would be appropriate . but doing the swap is a headache .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar
    Possible .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ALL I am having difficulty Posting pictures? Where do I Post Them From? :/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    If you are going for liquid cooled engine I would say do something like Porsche 911 put the radiator in front while engine being at back through I think its way out of any one in pak you would literally need a your home water pump to supply water to engine :p
    water cooled porsche 911 engine would cost him 30 times the price of this entire car.

aircooled 911 NA engine is even 20 times the price of this car, and its "LOVE" - but any flat six engine would require extending the back of the beetle.

the only porsche engine that fits bolt on is the old 912 or 914 flat engines
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar
    Sir sorry but i didnt get a scooby of what you said? xD
    subaru boxer. e.g. EJ22 - very small engine, very strong and very very long life. - if you do the pipes correctly it will rumble, EJ25 turbo may cause a wheelying beetle (highly dangerous)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Editted

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar Haha! . Why didnt i get the "Scooby"="Subi" Thing at first . yep that is a very good engine but sourcing it here locally would be difficult . The EJ22T would be a Beast . It would rumble very nicely . But The Gearbox wont hold That much power . that means $$$$ to get a strong aftermarket gearbox .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar yes

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ALL

not to hurt your feelings guys but im NOT doing a swap . so it would be highly appreciated if you guys help me and give answers and solutions to my problems Which i have mentioned in the Thread Description
    other than that you shall and can discuss other things too .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you're dropping the rear too then you wont be needing the caster shims. Its used when you want a rake.

What kind of adjusters have you got? The avis type or sway-away? I believe the avis type to be the better since you dont have to cut the beam with that.
    But the question is, will it do a burnout?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

About the rims, option 1 is better and has been tried and tested. The truck walas as you say do this. Do it on the rear wheels only so you'll end up with a staggered set. Also, i suggest not to cut up a good rim. These are getting harder to find and it would be a shame to cut up a perfectly solid rim. Find yourself a pair (if you're doing rear only) with a rusted and damaged outer band (not uncommon). The inner part is usually always solid.
    But the question is, will it do a burnout?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Khalid is the best guy for the job.
    Denter at his workshop in westridge is also the best denter i have met so far .i got my vw restored from him.

again khalid is the guy for the adjusters he has some guy who does this for him have seen a couple of front beams modified by him ,i got a one modified by him aswell for the front air ride setup but i couldnt get round to fitting it due to lack of time and uni.

for brakes parts are becoming a hassle if you can collect them all overhauling wont be an issue
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/d-i...n-vw-thing-__a
    here my car restored at his workshop
    :a

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

User Tag List