2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Beetle Rebuild Reference Guide

I intend this post to be a reference guide for all those people who are Beetle Enthusiasts, and would like to own and rebuild one on their own.

We should be aiming to discuss

~Availability of parts & their prices.

~Costs of major chassis and denting works.

~Most common problems, and how to lookout for them before buying a Beetle.

~Good Maintainence Practices.

~Cost of ownership.

~Reliability.

ETC.
    KNOW THYSELF!---When it is dark enough, you can see the stars---Is it us who live in fantasy, or is it reality, which is unreal.---The thoughts you have,is the stuff you are--Billy was a thirsty boy but now he is no more, cause' what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Message : dear Asad Bhai, Storm, Devilzpassion & all other Beetle experts.

A couple of days ago I came across a Beetle I would like some feedback from you people.

It is a 1970 1300cc Beetle. The guy says that the engine came with some machinery which was damaged or the something like that, and he bought the engine in an auction, he says the engine has been used very little and is still in its orginal condition. The car is almost rust free, the floor is dark brown from inside but feels solid when hit hard. The interior has been done up with new seat covers and roof lining and carpet. The rubber parts are cracked and damaged all over the car, the paint is in polishable condition, the steering is a Toyota bolt on, but has an immense amount of play(almost 3", why is does this play happen, and how much does it take to fix it), it has ply tyres which are in fairly good condition. The wipers dont work, the overall condtion is good but the finishing is baad.

Is the Beetle a reliable car (as a daily driver and for out of city trips), and what are the things which have to be looked after for trouble free ownership.

Can you guys also inform me about the average a 1600cc engine achieves on petrol.

BTW how can a layman tell the difference between a standard and a 1600cc Beetle engine.
    KNOW THYSELF!---When it is dark enough, you can see the stars---Is it us who live in fantasy, or is it reality, which is unreal.---The thoughts you have,is the stuff you are--Billy was a thirsty boy but now he is no more, cause' what he thought was H2O was H2SO4.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

To:Autobanda

(this is a copy of a reply that Asad Bhai sent to me I shall like to share it with you people)

You say it’s a 1970 1300 bug which would mean a NON super bug. Super bugs were introduced for the 1971 year model. I do get both surprised n disgusted when some worthy members say that their Super bug is of 1970 model.

This brings us to the steering issue you describe. If it’s a non super bug its easier to fix. Fro a super it’s a completely different story. Ill assume the car to be a non super. Steering play can be rectified by a simple steering box adjustment/ steering box replacement or in a worse case scenario a front suspension rebuild. Since you say you plan to run the car as a daily driver n that too on highways Id strongly recommend a full front suspension rebuild which would include all new balljoints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, steering shock absorber and shock absorbers. It would cost you a bundle (Ill have to get an estimate for all these parts or dig down in my records as I have rebuilt the front suspension of both my 68 bugs) but the rewards are a trouble free car for years to come if you get the job done right.

Id say you should throw out the Toyota steering wheel which Im sure is there along with the whole column. If people get impressed by a bloody Toyota steering wheel they should go out and buy a Toyota and not a VW. It’s a little tricky to locate a complete VW steering column with all accessories like ignition switch, indicator assembly and horn button etc but its not impossible. Further post 68 bugs had a collapsible steering column, something you see on modern cars now……..so I suggest keeping the original setup. Its your luck when you locate a good column either complete with all accessories I described if really lucky or in bits n pieces. Scrap dealers can demand anything depending on their mood.

Now the engine……..to really prove whether it’s a 1600 unit see the intake manifold…….it would have a double barrel where it enters the cylinder head. If this sounds Greek to you, simply note down the engine number n Ill confirm for you. Also see what carb the engine is running on. I doubt it would have the original carburetor as it’s a real gas guzzler…it would have a smaller 1300/1200cc one put in previously (unless the last owner owned a gas station!)

There may be truth behind the claim that the engine came with machinery from abroad. Such things do happen……quite a few amazingly good parts come along with scrap…….

There are quite a few things one could check in the engine alone. I don’t know what your level of understanding is at the moment but I could write a small book on this checking business alone. It may be best to take a mechanic or knowledgeable VW enthusiast along.

Oh btw I have yet to hear of a 5 speed VW bug gearbox so Im really doubtful about this aspect. Do let me know if the car really has one. Interesting. Ask the owner where it came from or whether it was custom made.

Well this was my honest feedback!! Sorry I could not quote exact figures as a lot depends on the prices of secondhand spares you get, what new parts you put in, what condition the car is actually in and the labor you pay to the mechanic.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@asadishaque

Let me clear a misunderstanding.

In my message I never said its a 1970 Super Beetle. What I said that it was a 1970 1300cc Beetle with a super engine.

:-)

Ghusa nai karnay ka.

BTW: I am a Lahori Bacha with Islamabad In his Blood!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@autobanda...
    the explanation you got from asad bhai wuz for a non-super bug...

as far as the detailing on the work is concerned, i think it has been elaborated enuff for a lay-man to benefit from it...

Is the Beetle a reliable car (as a daily driver and for out of city trips), and what are the things which have to be looked after for trouble free ownership.

my beetle is a daily drive, n for now, i have done sumwhere arnd 200kmph of continuous city driving on it, in a day...

to take a beetle on inter city routes, its better that u learn the basic mechanics, because not every other mechanic on the highway wud finger a beetle...

my 1.6L gives me 6km/l (because of the xhaust)... a normal beetle shud give u sumwhere b/w 9 - 11 (11 being very rare or rather next to impossible)...
    '70 VW Beetle, '76 Jeep CJ5 (2jzge), '76 Honda CD 175, '79 Mazda GLC (3sge Beams), '04 KIA Sportage (3CT), '13 Toyota Corolla

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ auto banda

Thanks a lot for throwing up this topic.

I assumed the car to be a 1970 1300 NON super......I was just trying to be clear that its not a super......as super front suspension is a TOTALLY different game n frankly speaking something I am not familiar with.

So you are from Lahore......makes it a bit difficult as I am unable to help you out LIVE!!! Anyway God bless the internet!
    If there are no Beetles in heaven, Im not going!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

(my reply from the email i sent you)

even if the floor is fully rusted through it can be changed with almost exact replacements which are being made in ISB now by a metal stamper.

a full interior (coverings, roof and all panels) can be changed for about 14000 rupees

there is a current shortage of all rubbers for the VW beetle so it's best you ask around to see if they have started comming to OK again otherwise you'll be stuck for a while.

a full repaint can cost approx 22000 but if ou say the paint is polishable that is ok

I never understood why people fit toyota steerigns to beetles. 99.9% of the time the setup can be reversed and all parts are available through scrap dealers. the play is usually due to the onversion and worn steering box gears and rubber boots. the box can be chaged or repaired and the rubber boots/bushes can be replaced or even fabricated. there is always a little play in a VW steering.

Bias ply tyres are hard to come by right now so the fact that you have good ones is a good sign.

Wipers can be changed out very easily so no need to worry as parts are readily available.

Superbeetle 1600cc engines have the code AD, AE, AF, AH, AJ, AS, AK and AR which is 1300cc
    1. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, 2. Resale wont save your life in an accident, 3. Genius has limits, stupidity has none, 4. Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level & beat you with experience, 5. Growing old beats the alternative -- dying young! 6. انّا للہ و انّا الیہ راجعون

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List