9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Restoring my dad's Yamaha 1984 80cc

Assalam u Alekum everyone
    this is my first thread on PakWheels.
    My dad bought this yamaha 80cc back in 1984.since then, the bike was used to the extreme as it was the only transport in the family. during the 1990s, Allah blessed us with a car and by 2006, my dad officially stopped using the bike. since then, its been standing in our backyard. i recently returned from abroad and am really interested in restoring it to its original condition. its frame is in original color, tanks and sides were painted once around 1998 but have faded again, front and back lights are original (believe it or not) even though the bike was doing around a 100kms/day upto its disuse. its going to leave for the workshop in a day or two.
    Things that i want to get done
    1. an engine overhaul with genuine yamaha parts
    2. complete paint job.
    3. new wiring, new battery
    4. chrome plating and nickel paint where ever needed.
    5. all other accessories that originally came with it
    6.whatever i can think off without overdoing anything

Suggestions and positive criticism are highly welcome. guys, do help me out on this one. i know its not a very complicated task but i dont want to mess up on this one. JazakAllah
    here are some picks after i dusted the bike and got its tires running

Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139088 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139089 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139090 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139091 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139092 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139093Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139088 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139089 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139090 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139091 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139092 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -139093

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dr.omair View Post
    @danayalahmad...the electrician has charged me Rs.600 for re-winding the coils only. he said it was a necessary step in converting to 12V, n said it wud last too. the previous lights (the ones on 6V) were really very dull, cudnt even c properly at night. now hez placing in Stanley headlight bulb and changing all other lights to 12V too.. the internal wiring was genuine n fine...im not getting that replaced
    He is right,
    In the conversion from 6 to 12 volts the coils have to rewinded for 12 volts.
    But this conversion would not result in an improvement.
    The light output is measured in watts, not in volts.
    The new CDI equipped bikes have a brighter light output due to the 6 coil generator present in them.
    One of the most difficult things in the world is to know how to do something, and to watch without comment, somebody else do it incorrectly.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

hmmm, first thing is that DONT RUSH, plz ask for suggestions here on pakwheels as people knows better then mechanics. u should not have changed the coil from 6 v to 12 v as the 6v coil was genuine and the 12v coil made by local mechanics are not that good so if u r not sure about something plz ask here for solution and let the mechanics take their time and dont rush,
    2nd thing is regarding the bill, dont worry , it will be wroth spending money and time on this bike, u cud have bought other bike for this much but u ll be pleasured and feel pride riding ur dads bike. wating to see the final results.
    Destiny simply depends on the strength of your dreams. If you cry at trouble it grows double and if you laugh at trouble it disappears like a bubble.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@babaisboss & DanyalAhmad..both of u are talking absolute sense here. i think i really shouldnt have gone for the 12V wiring....but i guess wats done is done now....if the conversion doesnt come out good, im gona feel bad about it, but after all the alterations made, i guess it'll be hard to go back to original...so i guess i'll have to live with the 12V circuit....regarding the fact that power is measurd in volts and not watts- i didnt think of it at that time when i made the decision, but now it makes sense,,,i can recall some physics that v studied back in O/A-levels days and yes- now i understand wat u meant....
    and i guess spending this much on the bike to get everything into shape will indeed InshaAllah be worth it and DEFINITELY better than going for an old beat-up bike in the same price range
    @danyalahmad....can u plz plz post some of your restored CD70's pics here....it'll be a treat to watch...thanx all

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I also have my father's Yamaha Model 1975 100 CC. I am also planing to restore it
    Hardware and Software - Engineered to Work Together. ORACLE 11g

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@babaisboss & DanyalAhmad..both of u are talking absolute sense here. i think i really shouldnt have gone for the 12V wiring....but i guess wats done is done now....if the conversion doesnt come out good, im gona feel bad about it, but after all the alterations made, i guess it'll be hard to go back to original...so i guess i'll have to live with the 12V circuit....regarding the fact that power is measurd in volts and not watts- i didnt think of it at that time when i made the decision, but now it makes sense,,,i can recall some physics that v studied back in O/A-levels days and yes- now i understand wat u meant....
    and i guess spending this much on the bike to get everything into shape will indeed InshaAllah be worth it and DEFINITELY better than going for an old beat-up bike in the same price range
    @danyalahmad....can u plz plz post some of your restored CD70's pics here....it'll be a treat to watch...thanx all
    its true that power is measured in watts not in volts but as u said that ur bike has old wiring which u havent changed so its absolutely possible that it might have become weaker with the passage of time ...

a 6 volt 25 Watt bulb will consume 4.166 Ampere current
    where as a 12 volt 25 watt bulb will consume around 2.11 ampere current
    old wiring cant support high current but yes they can support high voltage so its a good conversion u have done and u will experience a brighter light

only draw back can be the quality of winding they have done , but rest it will give u improved results

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yup you got it right.
    Converting it back to 6 volts wont be an issue.
    Only the coil will be rewinded for 6 volts.
    Other things that will be changed will be the rectifiers, battery along with the 6 volts accessories i-e bulbs,horn etc.
    About the restoration of my CD Im sorry I have no pics of it during restoration.
    Only some before and after pictures are there.
    The pictures after the restoration are on the 2nd page of this thread.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/whe...cd-70-fan-club
    One of the most difficult things in the world is to know how to do something, and to watch without comment, somebody else do it incorrectly.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@bilal and umer.thanx alot and do stay in touch for the final outcome of this restoration
    @danyalahmad.saw the pics of your bike.really nice and seems therez been alot of effort put in it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ Thanks for the compliment dude.
    I will be waiting for the final pictures.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

salam guys.....well i payed a visit to the workshop today and the bike's almost done. the electrician was finishing off his part and the bike just looked awesome. i felt like taking a few pics and posting them here but it would kill the surprise of watching the entire restoration. so, i guess i'll post pics tmrw, when the bike is 100% ready and running.
    im sorry the bike shouldve been ready by today, but the mechanic and electrician have really slowed down towards the end
    the only thing thats keeping me cool is the final shape that the bike is taking-its bringing a smile to my face, and hopefully InshaAllah, u'll be pleased to c one classic motorbike in awesome condition too.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

alrite.......im finally home with the bike...its lookin real good but im tired coz i had to stop the bike every half kilometer due to the new engine getting heat up. too tired to post pics. will do it first thing in the morning.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

whoever has restored a bike with success has done it himself. Leaving it alone with the mechanics is asking for a big cheque to be written.

When you do it yourself - you know for sure its dependable and quality work and you save thousands in labour costs. my 2 cents here.

btw - why was your new engine heating up? did the machinist set the piston too tight or the piston rings are too tight? If you have a hot running engine whether its brand new or old sagging used, you have a problem
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    whoever has restored a bike with success has done it himself. Leaving it alone with the mechanics is asking for a big cheque to be written.
    +1
    I had a deal with my mechanic.
    He opened the engine, told me what parts to buy, I paid for them and got them by myself.
    The only payment I made to the mechanic was the labour.
    @OP BTW why was your engine overheating?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

here u go.
    Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -148026 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -148027 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -148028 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -148029 Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -148030

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Restoring my dads Yamaha 1984 80cc -148031

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Gud gud.
    Its looking good.
    Where is the right side embelem of the side cover?
    How are the electronics?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar....i did stay with the mechanic while he did his job. its only my time schedule that prevented me from being with him all the time-it just wasnt possible. however, the mechanic's been working on this bike rite from the day it was bought-back in the days when my dad was riding it. yes, he might've charged me a little extra here n there, but i do trust him with the quality of work that hez done
    @danyalahmad......i dont understand y its happening, but i think it'll go away in a day or two coz this morning i startd the bike again and its a 100 times better than wat it was last night.
    the body of the bike still needs final compound polishing which i'll get done after a week. this is because the mechanic said that since all parts (starting from the engine to all cables) r new, they'll need a final adjustment after a week of running. once that is done and the bike is 100% fit faat, thats when the compund polish guy will do the final job

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ Okay.
    All the best then,
    Happy motoring.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@danyalahmad....the original emblem on the right side was lost several years back, n i m looking for an original one in bilal ganj. dont wana ago for a desi cheap sticker.the electronics r actually good. theyre alot brighter than they were on 6V, n i'd say that the light is about 90% of an genuine 12V circuit....thats ALOT for appreciating
    aaaammmmm.....plz help me here, i just explained how i'll get the compound polish after a week.is that ok? should i even get one at all? or leave the fresh paint as it is?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@omair
    first of all congrats on ur bike as it has restored completely, regarding light i already told u why 12V is better over 6V
    regarding polish its ok whenever u get it, coz when the paint has completely dried off, polishing can be done anytime ,

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

simply owesome, looking great. riding 2 stroke bike is more pleasurable then 4stroke so enjoy. just wanted to ask u tht was it easy to find the spear parts for this and as u said after paint job another guy made the sticker on tank, HOW ? did he drew with paint or stocker or tape?
    Destiny simply depends on the strength of your dreams. If you cry at trouble it grows double and if you laugh at trouble it disappears like a bubble.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

User Tag List