0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Suzuki GS-500 VS Yamaha or Kawasaki FZR

Few weeks back i was standing on a signal and besides me a biker with his Yamaha or Kawasaki FZR 250 i can't really remember.His bike was a 90's model.We decided to have a 500m race.I won but that FZR guy was only meters behind.Though we both were changing gears at the right moment.I have double the engine power still won by few meters.After race his bike started throwing water from behind.The water was so hot that i got a minor burn as he was ahead of me while we were cruising.Water coming out of a FZR is it normal?I'm glad to have a air cooled bike.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Suzuki GS 500 E is a street/solo bike while the Yamaha FZR 250 is a Racing/Sports bike. Though FZR's engine have half of the capacity than of a GS 500 but it works on quite high RPM so produces more power. GS 500 E weighs 169KG & Its engine can produce 52 BHP max on the other hand FZR 250 Weighs 141 KG & its engine can produce 45BHP. So if u compare Power to weight ratio of both these bikes Then the FZR will be ahead as it has Power to weight ratio 0.3199 while the GS has relatively less i.e. 0.3077. Other factors like aero dynamics & riding posture also reduces the air drag & help sports bikes to accelerate quicker. Thats why the Racing sports bikes & cars cannot be directly compared to street models of same capacity.
    The reason behind that, FZR starts throwing hot water from exhaust cud be the worned head gasket & for sure that bike wudnt be in good condition other wise that can simply smoke out a GS 500E.

Even if u consider modern models, a 600CC sports bike can easily beat 1000~1100CC solo bikes in terms of Acceleration, Top speed, & power to weight ratio etc.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    31 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Imran bhai you just disected both bikes

@bikerboy035 bro! Of course as Imran bhai said, hot water is an indicator of leaking radiater or gasket, beside your bike is air cooled so no worries, just warm air in winter ..

Ride safe, racing on Heavy Bikes ??? ..... Allah khair... !!!

Quote Originally Posted by imranbhatti View Post
    Suzuki GS 500 E is a street/solo bike while the Yamaha FZR 250 is a Racing/Sports bike. Though FZR's engine have half of the capacity than of a GS 500 but it works on quite high RPM so produces more power. GS 500 E weighs 169KG & Its engine can produce 52 BHP max on the other hand FZR 250 Weighs 141 KG & its engine can produce 45BHP. So if u compare Power to weight ratio of both these bikes Then the FZR will be ahead as it has Power to weight ratio 0.3199 while the GS has relatively less i.e. 0.3077. Other factors like aero dynamics & riding posture also reduces the air drag & help sports bikes to accelerate quicker. Thats why the Racing sports bikes & cars cannot be directly compared to street models of same capacity.
    The reason behind that, FZR starts throwing hot water from exhaust cud be the worned head gasket & for sure that bike wudnt be in good condition other wise that can simply smoke out a GS 500E.

Even if u consider modern models, a 600CC sports bike can easily beat 1000~1100CC solo bikes in terms of Acceleration, Top speed, & power to weight ratio etc.
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/motorcycle-travel-diaries/277725-sober-riders-visit-khunjerab-adventurous-way-via-nori-pass

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It has aptly been described by imranbhatti. I have owned a 250 FZR for five years and despite being 45HP the FZR had more acceleration and thrill as compared to GS500 with 52HP.

As far the coolant/water leakage is concerned, there can be a few reasons for it. As per my experience with the FZR, whenever coolant level was above MAX mark in the reservoir bottle, the extra amount of coolant would flow out when the engine was warm and the maximum level was maintained, nothing to worry about. However, I had one incident when coolant flowed out way too much even after half km run and when I traced for reasons it turned out that it was because the radiator cap rubber was damaged and it was not causing enough pressure to keep the hot coolant in radiator in control so it would flow into the reservoir and out through the exit pipe, change of the radiator cap (Rs.50) solved the issue like it was never there

Apart from above mentioned reasons, coolant overflow is an indication of gasket problem, time to worry..
    Web: http://www.bikepics.com/members/sniperr and http://wanderersbook.blogspot.com

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by imranbhatti View Post

I don't think a 90's 250 can beat GS-500.Secondly water was not coming out from the exhaust.There was a pipe in the back.And after a while water stopped coming out.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A 90s FZR can easily beat the GS500, I have had one so I can tell you out of my own experience

And that water was coming out of the overflow pipe, definitely not exhaust..
    Web: http://www.bikepics.com/members/sniperr and http://wanderersbook.blogspot.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My dear friend, u need to learn what other factors are out there except just the displacement as was explained quite nicely above. Going by your theory a truck having an engine of more "cc" should be faster then a car, u also need to know the difference between a street and a sports bike to earn that nick u r using, your lack of grasp on the subject goes against it.
    Apart from pakwheels, my blogs can be also be viewed at http://tajziat.blogspot.com/

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and the statement "despite being 45HP the FZR had more acceleration and thrill as compared to GS500 with 52HP." should have sufficed to explain that no u didnt have "twice the power" as u believe, cc is a unit of volume :-) . I believe the GS500e does not have a very advanced engine, it has been in production since the last two decades and it is a very rock solid engine for a street bike but is designed with different factors in mind then competing with sports bikes, its meant for long and comfortable journeys which is an area where it would be a better choice.
    Apart from pakwheels, my blogs can be also be viewed at http://tajziat.blogspot.com/

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
    A 90s FZR can easily beat the GS500, I have had one so I can tell you out of my own experience

And that water was coming out of the overflow pipe, definitely not exhaust..
    Yea you got it!It was the overflow pipe!BTW in cars there's no such pipe.Why in this bike?And is it normal?

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bilalahm View Post
    My dear friend, u need to learn what other factors are out there except just the displacement as was explained quite nicely above. Going by your theory a truck having an engine of more "cc" should be faster then a car, u also need to know the difference between a street and a sports bike to earn that nick u r using, your lack of grasp on the subject goes against it.
    I know power to weight ratio thing.But asking and confirming thinks would increase my knowledge further.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bilalahm View Post
    and the statement "despite being 45HP the FZR had more acceleration and thrill as compared to GS500 with 52HP." should have sufficed to explain that no u didnt have "twice the power" as u believe, cc is a unit of volume :-) . I believe the GS500e does not have a very advanced engine, it has been in production since the last two decades and it is a very rock solid engine for a street bike but is designed with different factors in mind then competing with sports bikes, its meant for long and comfortable journeys which is an area where it would be a better choice.
    I doubt it's for long peaceful journey.Accelerates like rocket!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well there are many people on pw claiming their mehrans and altos became a "beast" after some tiny so called modifications, doesn't change any realities does it mate :-) M also waiting for a very clean GS500 that I have struck a deal for, so yes I like this bike myself as a choice for learning to handle a reasonable sized bike, but it neither is a rocket in any way not is it meant to race the sports bikes out there. It is an economical and easy to maintain street bike compared to the sports one, in a land where a honda 125 is considered a "powerful" ride it might seems like something huge but it ain't. When we can afford something expensive we surely would love to keep them but till then enjoy this one and accept the realities as they are, happy riding.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Do read some forums about how engines having the same displacement can have completely different outputs, for example a 800cc mehran is 35hp whereas as the new 660cc japanese alto is 50hp. Its an interesting hobby isnt it, keep enjoying :-)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Bikerboy035

Cars too have such pipes. Have u ever notice cap of botle (coolant reservoir) which acomodate the expansion of coolant ? it contains 2 pipes one going to Radiaotor & the other is open. Sports bikes usually have these expansion tank under rear cowling(Tail) so expanded ccolant may directly spit from back at high speed. As 7thgear mentioned it might due to bad radiator cap. However in some sccnarios of weak head gasket water can be blowed through exhaust.
    Exploring Machines is my Passion...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ +1 to above post.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List