Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree323Likes

Thread: Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Smile Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980)

Hi everyone,

I have decided to restore my dad's old YB100. It has been lying around in the garage for 10 years or so. I would also like to mention that I have absolute ZERO experience regarding bikes or engines and not even remotely related to those, this is my first ever project.

PS: Since I am a bit busy with my own projects, the progress on this is going to be a bit slow (probably only weekends). And this project can even fail due my lack of experience !

OK enough talk, let's get started:

Original condition: The bike appears to be in a pretty bad shape:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8685650134 9507a2cc25 b

Special thanks: I would like to thank our respected pakwheels member @
    vickytulla (Waqar) for the much needed initial guidance.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Arifjaveed View Post
    aslam-o-alaikum hidalgo
    wa alikum salam
    helo hidalgo
    hi
    i am new on this thread
    welcome

kharadias do not use vernier caliper for cylinder bore. they ask the customer to bring the piston and according to that piston they bore the cylinder. after they bored cylinder they put piston into cylinder they polish it and after polishing they recheck. if the piston is so tight they polish it again to get accurate clearance. our kharadias have no facilities to do work according to the Japanese workshop manual.
    2stroke pistons are not chrome polished as 4stroke , not in same diameter from all sides ,kharadia calculates by using vernier and bores as much required for certain areas.hope it clears,he just measures it by vernier i have seen boring n polishing.

fahir is restoring yb100 1980 model. but the genuine spare parts are not available now. even yb100 latest model's genuine parts are very rare now. if any shopkeeper have, they charge more according to his will.
    you areright but 1 can get org parts from bilal gunj n reputed stores having yb stuff
    legend will revive soon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no pistons are ever polished, they are never straight either, they are conical and narrow from the top.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

kharadias do not use vernier caliper for cylinder bore. they ask the customer to bring the piston and according to that piston they bore the cylinder. after they bored cylinder they put piston into cylinder they polish it and after polishing they recheck. if the piston is so tight they polish it again to get accurate clearance. our kharadias have no facilities to do work according to the Japanese workshop manual.
    because they are cheapies, it wont cost them a fortune to measure with correct tools. Then out lovely mechanics also forget the soap and hot water when washing a newly bored and honed cylinder, you will be amazed at the amount of grit that is hidden in those little scratches and jammed in the port edges (on a 2 stroke)

Resultant = bad overhaul - then they add more oil to the petrol mix and lean it out, causing overheat, they try to compensate with only the idle mixture. (I usually laughed at this approach). Its a vicous circle. However with only a bit more attention you can eliminate all these factors.

btw if a machinist were using a vernier to measure the bore of any of my equipment I would remove all items immediately, the correct way is to use bore gauge (or even internal engineer calipers) with a large micrometer screw gauge to measure.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

da fuq? kick the butt of the guy who polishes a pistons... what an ***.

i have worked for the past two years in a piston manufacturing company.. we have inspection equipment well in excess of 50laks plus to measure the final dimensions of the pistons.

multiple cnc machines create both ovality and taper profile of the pistons...

these a hole kharadias rape the piston before assembling it.
    the problem is not our govt... its the people..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

there are bore micrometers to measure bores...

verniers cannot be used for bore measurement.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    because they are cheapies, it wont cost them a fortune to measure with correct tools. Then out lovely mechanics also forget the soap and hot water when washing a newly bored and honed cylinder, you will be amazed at the amount of grit that is hidden in those little scratches and jammed in the port edges (on a 2 stroke)

Resultant = bad overhaul - then they add more oil to the petrol mix and lean it out, causing overheat, they try to compensate with only the idle mixture. (I usually laughed at this approach). Its a vicous circle. However with only a bit more attention you can eliminate all these factors.

btw if a machinist were using a vernier to measure the bore of any of my equipment I would remove all items immediately, the correct way is to use bore gauge (or even internal engineer calipers) with a large micrometer screw gauge to measure.
    so true,mechanic usually cut autolube n ask to mix oil in tank ,how to clean ports i saw lots of gunj in them which can t be removed by scraping (m talking about ports inside cylinder) not exhaust port.
    legend will revive soon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

also tell about setting just right fuel mixture.
    legend will revive soon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nfssaad View Post

i have worked for the past two years in a piston manufacturing company.. we have inspection equipment well in excess of 50laks plus to measure the final dimensions of the pistons.

i guessop mixed it by polishing i ment cylinder's polish
    legend will revive soon

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

some chinese POS pistons crystal structure is so bad that the piston warps shape under normal use - I have even come across a chinese origin piston that had its skirt finished so rough that it caught my finger nail (O_o)

anyway - you might even find some special people boiling the piston in water assuming it work hardens it (lol - as if hot water is the same as a petrol fire). What really amazed me is that the machinists leave the 2 stroke ports sharp as blades, and if someone got their cylinder resleeved, OH MY GOD - the ports are horrible, all cut in the same plane, no angle aim, no attention to fit etc. No wonder the engines perform like a dogs breakfast.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

some chinese POS pistons crystal structure is so bad that the piston warps shape under normal use - I have even come across a chinese origin piston that had its skirt finished so rough that it caught my finger nail (O_o)
    that would probably mean that the skirt was either not machined properly, or the final diamond tool cut was missed, or the tool tip had worn out. and the piston escaped final inspection.

this is a common issue. production mindset is to just produce as much as possible. quality gai tail lainay.

i was pretty much wholly responsible for the qa dept of my company... and frequently faced this problem... production walon say sar mar mar kay dimagh khali hojata tha...

also recieved complaints from ahl after which i refined the inspection methods to ensure nothing escaped..

production had a bad habit of mixing rejections with ok production... bar bar sorting karwa karwa kay dimagh ki lassi ban jati thi..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

zulfiqar bhai i have now left atlas engineering.. will be joining tapal energy as am maintenance tomorrow. they have 10+ MW wartsila diesel engines.

can i have your email, or fb id or any contact method other than pakwheels for correspondence?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3992 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

that would probably mean that the skirt was either not machined properly, or the final diamond tool cut was missed, or the tool tip had worn out. and the piston escaped final inspection.

this is a common issue. production mindset is to just produce as much as possible. quality gai tail lainay.

i was pretty much wholly responsible for the qa dept of my company... and frequently faced this problem... production walon say sar mar mar kay dimagh khali hojata tha...

also recieved complaints from ahl after which i refined the inspection methods to ensure nothing escaped..

production had a bad habit of mixing rejections with ok production... bar bar sorting karwa karwa kay dimagh ki lassi ban jati thi..
    Been there done that - everyone starts from somewhere, and you cannot begin to imagine what I had to face once.

let me give you an example.

I hand a diagram to a freshie (green eng) to make me 13 cables (dont ask what cables)

5 hours later I ask and find that he hasnt made any, I locate the person to ask and his answer was that he couldnt find solder

fast forward to next day, I tell him I need them by 1500, at 10 o clock I ask him how its going - his reply he cannot locate the clamp tool and solder station was malfunctioning.

AAARRRGGGG.

So I proceed to provide him with

solder
    work the station
    diagram
    supplies (cable lengths and connectors)
    clamp tool
    chair
    desk
    tea
    assistant

tell him that he has two hands and all the supplies ready to use - This time if I dont see cables Im going to go Nazi on him.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

aslam-0-alaikum hidalo. please tell me how much cost for yahama yb100 2006 model clutch box from bilal gunj with primary drive gear

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This week's updates (5-May-2013)

Hi guys, hope all of you are doing great. This weekend I spent a couple of hours on the bike (3-4 hrs max). Succeeded in detaching the engine from frame. Attached pictures show the progress. Enjoy !!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Continuing from previous week, still disassembling the bike.

Finally got the exhaust pipe out, was pretty tough job. In this case C-spanner was not effective at all. Too much rust and gunk, the sleeve nut was totally jammed. I then used pipe wrench which did the job:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697858 7d7bf38e48 b

It seems that the drive sprocket washer had witnessed mechanic abuse (molestation or rape might be appropriate words). I had to use hammer and a minus head screwdriver to chisel my way into the washer. This made enough clearance for the socket spanner to comfortably sit on the nut:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697766 e44fdd28bf b

Closeup view:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697784 819d24db8a b

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Getting the drive sprocket off the frame. Attempt 1:

Since the bike was in neutral and I was unable to put it in a gear (maybe broken gears, who knows). I tried to jam the wheels with the help of wooden hammer shaft. Bad idea, i know. This method can potentially damage the rims. Another mistake I made that I removed the rear shocks way earlier. Rear wheel assembly proved pretty hard to control.

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697850 738b90b86f b

Attempt 2: The correct one. Press the breaks real hard . Furthermore use a long pipe for leverage and the sprocket nut will come off quite easily:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697694 69abfbe54d b

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Opening up flywheel nut:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574469 55ef16525a b

Detaching the head. The outside appears to be covered in fungus:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697662 b37dbef666 b

Cylinder assembly:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697638 35740fa64a b

Another view:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574377 d429dec349 b

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another look at the head:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574285 b7621ae456 b

Zooming in:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574331 333fd62de5 b

Further zoom. The surface appears to be covered with salt, fungus and other gunky stuff.

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574361 07ee63fbfa b

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Removing cylinder:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697466 41970b9c73 b

Cylinder closeup. We will take a look at it in great detail in near future.

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697420 1ce6812711 b

Moving on to detach the engine from the frame. Before loosening up the main engine assembly bolts, it is a good idea to provide some support from underneath:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574213 84502a0128 b

Cool, air filter assembly is off:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697374 2838f792d9 b

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Detached rear wheel assembly. It didn't go off without a fight:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574173 5075c142ea b

Finally detached the engine. To my surprise engine was not that heavy as I thought it would be:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697214 0119bc2098 b

Closer look:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697234 9c378785ae b

View from the other side:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574111 65f2597ae1 b

Zooming in on the rotor wheel:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8709574125 706e8c7ecc b

Drive shaft closeup:

Restoring Yamaha 100cc (YB100, model:1980) - 8710697314 1080c5e42c b

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

User Tag List