• 1 Post By hash4u
  • 1 Post By dms664

Thread: Blunder of cleaning Radiator and Condenser with Acid

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Blunder of cleaning Radiator and Condenser with Acid

Guys, here is a blunder I want to highlight and I hope people won’t make the mistake which I have done. Few months back my servant washed the Air conditioner Condenser and Radiator with the Bathroom Acid. When he was doing it, initially I was hesitant then he told me that place where he used to work in past, used it to clean Air conditioner grills after every 3 months with the Acid. Composition is Sulphuric Acid plus Water and also told me that Radiator guys also clean the Radiator with the same Acid.
    Recently once I visited Lahore I realized that condenser and Radiator has lost all its grill once my Radiator Exploded in Liberty Market Lahore. I took the car immediately to the mechanic where he told me that entire grill has rusted because of using Acid on it and this is never used on these Cars. So I have to eventually had to change the Radiator of GLi 2007 with new Dolphin Company Radiator and went ahead to buy new Condenser for Rs 4500 along with 2500 for refilling the gas again. So total expenditure was 6 thousand for Radiator and 7000 for condenser + Gas filling charges. Totally my mistake where trying to keep the vehicle in tip top condition ended up in a major repair work.
    If I would show you the grill, it would feel like a burnt wooden Ashes as once you touch the remaining area then it immediately breaks like ashes fall from burnt wood.

2c
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is a common practice which is dangerous of cleaning metal with acid of industrial or lower grade.
    people do it in their homes also to open cloged drains, pure some acid which eventually result in situation mentioned in opening post.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talha bhai I'm really sorry to hear about your ordeal.

The problem in Pakistan is that everyone tries to be Mr. Know-it-all. Same is the case with your servant. It is better to leave such jobs to professionals or at least someone with real know-how about the job.

Once I asked the new maid in my home to clean the car. Then suddenly it occurred to me that she might not know how to clean a car. I went back in the garage and there I saw her sweeping the hood with a jharoo.

Idiots are all around us. It is very hard to find trained professionals for even the simplest jobs.
    Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hmm I have seen people using this acid Even i use to do it with my general air conditioner but i use to choose a lot of water and very little acid :p Did it for years never had any issues.

I have seen radiator guy using these acid but they also chose very little acid and max water. But I guess your aluminium radiator didnt like the acid.
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go.

Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    48 Thread(s)

WOW - I would say wow.

Using sulphuric acid to clean out the radiator and condenser fins is bad news if not neutralized with a mild alkali immediately.

And to take out anything from the fin area without copious amounts of low pressure water spray is impossible to the farthest extent. Its designed in a way to trap air and exhaust it slowly, Air is considerably lighter than water, you can imagine how long it would take for a liquid to get out of it - the longer it sits there its corroding your radiator/condenser fins.

To clean out the fins of a condenser the best idea is to use proper cleaners made for this purpose. YES they are available in Pakistan, go look around in Industrial chemical supply or industrial level HVAC supply places and you will find them.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

yeah using acid and soda is common
    like mechanics love taking petrol out from ur car and washing everything including there own hands and face with it
    margallar likes this.
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Steam wash is best for cleaning the condenser's fins
    Sharo53 likes this.
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List