Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation Wiring Diagram of O2 sensor on Honda City 2006

Wiring Diagram of O2 sensor on Honda City 2006

Guys, I would like to Ask about Honda City O2 sensor. My previous Mechanic while replacing the Clutch has damaged the Male Grip of O2 sensor. I know this my sensor is in good condition but I am looking for this grip. O2 sensor has two White wires, 1 grey wire and 1 black wire. Female part has four wires with different color combinations.

I don’t know how to connect these wires if I will remove the grips in between and make them direct. I have recently came across a Video which gives you a lot of information about these two white wires but problem is that on female side the colors are completely different such as black, blue, *** and ***. I have a Voltmeter and Amp meter and can rest do the debugging but would really appreciate if someone has prior knowledge or at least post the pictures so that how provide a very good idea.

HONDA AS USUAL RIPPING STRATEGY

I went to Honda Show room Rawalpindi and Islamabad. They initially tried their level best to convince me that they will perform a computer test to find out all about the sensor code. I told them that the sensor is O2 and is currently disconnected but they kept on insisting. Then they immediately quoted a price of Rs 700 for the computer test and I had to argue with them to convince them that they will get the same signal back once wires are not connected.

Finally they saw the sensor and told me that I will have to buy a complete O2 sensor for Rs 20,000 as grips don’t come alone. I again argued that why should I buy a sensor once the fault is with broken Male GRIP which is a small plastic of worth 20 Rs. They immediately said that they cant help me then and same thing happened at Honda Showrooms located in Rawalpindi on both visits.

BEST IDEA:

I can buy a universal Male and female GRIP and can connect the wires myself but need to confirm the color codes of wire on both the side of Male and Female connectors.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

best idea is to go to a electrician and get the wires reconnected in 100 rupees
    else there are many electricians now who deal with efi cars and sesnors
    third option is to take help from a electrical engineer like @ghuncha on the connection
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the 02 sensor has 4 wires
    check with a multimeter - two wires which show a resistance of 14 ohms (do this test quickly as possible to avoid damaging the sensing element)

once you have the 2 wires showing 14 ohms - mark them for sensor heater

the rest 2 would be for sensor earth and sensor output to ECU - one wire would be a different colour - thats the output to the ECU

on the engine side - locate the 12V switched power wire to the sensor - connect one of the heater wires to it, locate a sheilded wire and connect the sensor output to it (do not twine the shielding with it)

locate a wire which is common earth to the map and coolant sensor - this is sensor earth - connect to the remaining sensor earth wire - you will have one wire left - this is switched earth from the ECU to heat the sensor - connect it to the remaining one wire.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear Xulfiqar,

Honestly I have searched Internet a Lot and could not find one example related to Honda City 2006 I-DSi which can help me configure the problem. Problem turned into difficult because I could have identified the wires of O2 sensor but had no knowledge about the incoming wires from the ECU because of missing grip. Wires from ECU had completely different color combinations from that of sensors which has one Grey wire, One Black wire and two white wires. I read many blogs where everyone said that every manufacturer uses different color combinations of wire from ECU which is different in every model and this looked more like a Marketing strategy of Car Manufactures where they want Honda owner to turn to them for repairs. I also could not find a single article or Manuel which can explain the wiring diagram of Honda City 2006.

I had a missing Male grip from Sensor and Available Female grip from ECU to the sensor. This sensor was located on lower back side of Engine so I found it a very difficult approach. Company charges Rs 20,000 for this new sensor where as I think it is a Universal 4 wire Platinum/Zirconium O2 sensor with only thing different is the GRIP. They are manufactured by Third part company which is sold in much lower price but Honda has added its own GRIP on this to make it specific to their cars & model. Number of threads I came across where people have explained that they bought a universal GRIP along with Male and Female GRIP and successfully integrated this with their cars.

Color combination of 4 wire O2 sensor for Honda City are black, grey, white and again white. These two white wires are meant for sensors heater where as grey wire is sensor ground and black wire is signal to ECU. I have measured the resistance between two white wires which turned out to be 6.75 OHMS. Then again found the same resistance once I flipped the Multi meter on the white wires. Then I bought the long small wires and connected it to Cars ECU wires to O2 sensor through Female connector in order to measure the Voltage from ECU to find the right match. Here I could not read the wire colors due to light problem but have identified it this way.

Picture of Female Connector from ECU looks like this

++++++++++TOP+++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ------1---------------2-------
    - -
    - -
    - -
    - -
    ------3----------------4------
    - -
    ++++++++++BOT++++++++++++

A) Multimeter connected across (4,2) 4 is positive polarity and 2 is negative polarity
    B) Potential different between 4 and 2 was 8Volts
    C) Multimeter connected across (3,1) 3 has positive polarity and 1 had negative polarity
    D) Potential difference between (3,1) was 0.05 Volts
    E) 4 was connected to negative terminal of battery via Multimeter and the potential difference was 13.8 Volts
    F) 2 was connected with Positive terminal of Battery Via Multimeter and the potential difference was 8 Volts.
    G) Polarity between ( 1,2) was 1 negative and 2 positive
    H) Potential difference between (2,1) was 0.20 Volts
    I) Polarity between (3,4) was 3 negative and 4 positive
    J) Potential difference between (4,3) was 13.8 volts

Probably because battery was fully charged and car was on once these measurements were taken.

Conclusion

1) My guess is that (4,3) is for two white wires for heaters
    2) 2 is for black heater wire which is a signal from ECU
    3) 1 is for grey wire from O2 sensor which is ground.

What do you say

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the 2 wires are heater
    you can trace their continuity in the cars wiring loom as
    ignition switch power - (this wire always gets power when the ignition is on)
    heater element ground (ECU switches it to ground to operate the heating element)
    btw 6.75 ohms is about 2 amps (odd for a japanese cars o2 sensor)

the odd color wire would be the sensor out - in this case black - leaving one wire in this case which is sensor ground.

To trace sensor ground in the car wiring loom - trace the common wire from the cut loom to the coolant temp sensor and map sensor ground - it will most probably be green
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I always buy universal O2 sensors and splice their wiring to the original wiring connector - because the sensors are mostly the same - its just that all manufacturers use a different shaped plug.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Alright, I cannot tell you the exact colors of ECU wiring right now, but can point to the image which I have tried to draw.

1) Pin No 1 should be connected with grey as grey wire from sensor is suppose to be signal ground and Pin No 1 was identified as ground.
    2) Pin No 2 should be connected with black wire from sensor which is Signal from the sensor and Pin 2 had a positive polarity and that Voltmeter showed the difference between (2,1) as 0.20 Volts and I think this value should change from 0.1 to 0.9 Volts scale. Since sensor was not connected to ECU so that must be a default value outputted by the ECU.
    3) Two of the white wires will be connected with 4 and 3. Its difficult to differentiate as both have the same colors and which one will be connected with pin 4 which in diagram is 13.8 Volts from ground.

REASON FOR CURRENT CONCLUSION

1) Reason why I believe that 4 and 3 should be for heaters wire because potential difference between both of them is exactly equal to car battery Voltage at terminals.
    2) Reason why I believe that 2 should be connected to black wire because polarity of 2 is positive with respect to 1 and that potential difference between 2 and 1 is 0.20 Volts which keeps on changing.
    Also you mentioned that I have to look for signal ground by using Multimeter and performing a connectivity test on coolent Temperature sensor. Well that was a nice idea but I was confused that if I can take negative battery terminal as ground or that may be different from ECU ground or can use fuse box. So relied on my own reasoning and it worked well.

CONCLUSION

Installation done and it was successful .

THANKS

Thank to Xulfiqar and hash4u for your advice as I had to call a car electrician in order to him to remove the O2 sensor from the City. He initially quoted Rs 600 for taking the sensors out and handling it over to me so that I can change the wirings. He told me that Job will take 2 hours minimum to take the sensors out but was completed very quickly as he did not face any problems putting his hands on it. It looks like a universal sensor and does not make any sense to buy one from Honda.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by talhawaleed View Post
    Alright, I cannot tell you the exact colors of ECU wiring right now, but can point to the image which I have tried to draw.

1) Pin No 1 should be connected with grey as grey wire from sensor is suppose to be signal ground and Pin No 1 was identified as ground.
    2) Pin No 2 should be connected with black wire from sensor which is Signal from the sensor and Pin 2 had a positive polarity and that Voltmeter showed the difference between (2,1) as 0.20 Volts and I think this value should change from 0.1 to 0.9 Volts scale. Since sensor was not connected to ECU so that must be a default value outputted by the ECU.
    3) Two of the white wires will be connected with 4 and 3. Its difficult to differentiate as both have the same colors and which one will be connected with pin 4 which in diagram is 13.8 Volts from ground.

REASON FOR CURRENT CONCLUSION

1) Reason why I believe that 4 and 3 should be for heaters wire because potential difference between both of them is exactly equal to car battery Voltage at terminals.
    2) Reason why I believe that 2 should be connected to black wire because polarity of 2 is positive with respect to 1 and that potential difference between 2 and 1 is 0.20 Volts which keeps on changing.
    Also you mentioned that I have to look for signal ground by using Multimeter and performing a connectivity test on coolent Temperature sensor. Well that was a nice idea but I was confused that if I can take negative battery terminal as ground or that may be different from ECU ground or can use fuse box. So relied on my own reasoning and it worked well.

CONCLUSION

Installation done and it was successful .

THANKS

Thank to Xulfiqar and hash4u for your advice as I had to call a car electrician in order to him to remove the O2 sensor from the City. He initially quoted Rs 600 for taking the sensors out and handling it over to me so that I can change the wirings. He told me that Job will take 2 hours minimum to take the sensors out but was completed very quickly as he did not face any problems putting his hands on it. It looks like a universal sensor and does not make any sense to buy one from Honda.
    Salam brother.
    good to know your problem wth 02 sensor has been solved successfully.
    anyways i need to know more about city idsi 06 manuel.... does the lose wiring or bad sensor make your car underpower..? like lesser pickup on patrol.. even using hi octane mix.. no big change i hv done everything to increase there pick but not really successfull, tapperts tunning plugs,injectors etc etc was done..

any suggestion?
    waiting for your reply

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List