Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By t117

Thread: City 2004 gear oil

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    t117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    156
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default City 2004 gear oil

    Salams

    How much oil is needed to fill the gear box of honda city 2004 MANUAL model?

    Reason for asking is that my transmission was giving whine noice so I decided to change the gear oil.. Last week I drained the oil and refilled it with honda genuine MTF.. It took only 1.5 liter of MTF but the whine noise was still there...Now I am hearing from many mechanics that it should take atleast 3 liters of oil.

    Anyone who has changed MTF of the said model please mention the quantity he used.

    Thanks


  2. #2
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t117 View Post
    Salams

    How much oil is needed to fill the gear box of honda city 2004 MANUAL model?

    Reason for asking is that my transmission was giving whine noice so I decided to change the gear oil.. Last week I drained the oil and refilled it with honda genuine MTF.. It took only 1.5 liter of MTF but the whine noise was still there...Now I am hearing from many mechanics that it should take atleast 3 liters of oil.

    Anyone who has changed MTF of the said model please mention the quantity he used.

    Thanks
    Manual should have this information very clear. No?

    Anyway, Gear oils come in the packing of 1 liter mostly.
    If I can suppose myself in your shoes, then I'll rather go to the workshop and will ask him to bring 3 bottles of MTF.
    Firstly, pour 1st bottle and check the gauge (dip stick).
    Then, pour 2nd bottle and check the gauge.
    Then, pour half 3rd bottle and check the gauge.
    And so on.... till the gauge shows full.

    Its simple to measure as far as its matter of oil quantity only.

    A word of wise, never buy MTF from Honda. Firstly find out from the manual that what viscosity of gear oil is required for your car & quantity. And try to find the same oil from outside market (from good oil shops) but for imported companies like Liqui Moly, PTT Performa, or Kixx's gear oils are also OK. Its time to change our habits for buying oils from local companies like Caltex, Shell, Honda, Toyota, Suzuki, total, PSO, etc. Imported oils are far better w.r.t quality endurance and strong determination.

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    t117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    156
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I dont have its nanual, otherwise I would have gone through it 1st..

    Honda city doesn't have dipstick....it has a nut or hole which starts leaking if overfilled so there's no way to check how low it is... no viscosity is written on the MTF can...Also the manual doesnt state the viscosity but its written in the manual that if MTF isnt available, ENGINE OIL of 10w40 can be used for temporary purpose.... strange but true ..

    Sent from my GT-I8262 using PW Forums mobile app

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    ok. i'll check it out and will revert what could be the most precise solution for it.

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    t117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    156
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    ok. i'll check it out and will revert what could be the most precise solution for it.
    That would be a sincere help from u.. thanks

    Sent from my GT-I8262 using PW Forums mobile app

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t117 View Post
    That would be a sincere help from u.. thanks

    Sent from my GT-I8262 using PW Forums mobile app
    City 2004 manual gear oil capacity is 2 liters only.
    Give me call to discuss further. I have learned it thoroughly today.
    No Guts, No Glory.

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t117 View Post
    I dont have its nanual, otherwise I would have gone through it 1st..

    Honda city doesn't have dipstick....it has a nut or hole which starts leaking if overfilled so there's no way to check how low it is... no viscosity is written on the MTF can...Also the manual doesnt state the viscosity but its written in the manual that if MTF isnt available, ENGINE OIL of 10w40 can be used for temporary purpose.... strange but true ..

    Sent from my GT-I8262 using PW Forums mobile app
    My English is not so good, but I'll try to explain it as briefly & simply as I can.

    City 2004 Manual needs 2 Liter gear oil only. Some mechanics force to pour 2.5L in it to fill the gear box till nose. But basically it need 2 liter gear oil only.
    So buy 2 liter gear oil and this is confirm.


    Procedure to change.
    There are two nuts/bolts on the gear box.
    Firstly, drive the car min. for 5 km so that it could warm up very well.
    Open the both valves/nuts/bolts of the gear box and let the oil fully drain from lower side. Repeat, you should open both nuts for good drain. Lower one and side one also.
    Close the bottom nut when its fully drained, but let the side nut open.
    Use plastic tube or tube gun (available at oil shops to pout gear oil) and insert it from the right/upper nut.
    Pour two liter gear oil and then close the nut.

    Common Mistake:
    After pouring two little oil, many mechanics insert 0.5L more gear oil till it start coming out from the nut. But this is a technical mistake. Because in this way we are feeding more gear oil that car actually needs. So apparently it will bring no such affect on the gear box. But when you will drive for long time and car is pretty hot, then there are chances that gear oil will start dripping out from the box v. slowly. Though its rare but possible.
    Hence, 2L gear oil is the actual requirement of 2004 City Manual.

    Just for the information, City automatic needs 4 liter gear oil. Whereas manual only requires 2L.

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    t117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    156
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    My English is not so good, but I'll try to explain it as briefly & simply as I can.

    City 2004 Manual needs 2 Liter gear oil only. Some mechanics force to pour 2.5L in it to fill the gear box till nose. But basically it need 2 liter gear oil only.
    So buy 2 liter gear oil and this is confirm.


    Procedure to change.
    There are two nuts/bolts on the gear box.
    Firstly, drive the car min. for 5 km so that it could warm up very well.
    Open the both valves/nuts/bolts of the gear box and let the oil fully drain from lower side. Repeat, you should open both nuts for good drain. Lower one and side one also.
    Close the bottom nut when its fully drained, but let the side nut open.
    Use plastic tube or tube gun (available at oil shops to pout gear oil) and insert it from the right/upper nut.
    Pour two liter gear oil and then close the nut.

    Common Mistake:
    After pouring two little oil, many mechanics insert 0.5L more gear oil till it start coming out from the nut. But this is a technical mistake. Because in this way we are feeding more gear oil that car actually needs. So apparently it will bring no such affect on the gear box. But when you will drive for long time and car is pretty hot, then there are chances that gear oil will start dripping out from the box v. slowly. Though its rare but possible.
    Hence, 2L gear oil is the actual requirement of 2004 City Manual.

    Just for the information, City automatic needs 4 liter gear oil. Whereas manual only requires 2L.
    But in my car, when the oil was drained completely, it took only 1.5 liter n then started dripping...

    Sent from my GT-I8262 using PW Forums mobile app

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    GoodMan7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,407
    Follows
    8
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by t117 View Post
    But in my car, when the oil was drained completely, it took only 1.5 liter n then started dripping...

    Sent from my GT-I8262 using PW Forums mobile app
    In such case, you have to go for the Service of the gear box. There might be some oil junk/Slug gathered at the bottom of the plate/box and have to clean it well with petrol and let it dry fully.
    And once you decided to do so, then mechanic will leak out the gear oil in one bottle, will open & service the gear box, after fixing, it will pour that oil again in the box.
    So, in this case, its usually better to buy the new gear oil and use, instead of utilizing the same gear oil again.

    Because when mechanics take out the oil in separate bottle and then pour it again, usually it carry lot of dust particles. Hence using new gear oil is suggested.
    But this is sure that City 2004 capacity is 2L for gear oil.

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    talhawaleed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    1,812
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodMan7 View Post
    In such case, you have to go for the Service of the gear box. There might be some oil junk/Slug gathered at the bottom of the plate/box and have to clean it well with petrol and let it dry fully.
    And once you decided to do so, then mechanic will leak out the gear oil in one bottle, will open & service the gear box, after fixing, it will pour that oil again in the box.
    So, in this case, its usually better to buy the new gear oil and use, instead of utilizing the same gear oil again.

    Because when mechanics take out the oil in separate bottle and then pour it again, usually it carry lot of dust particles. Hence using new gear oil is suggested.
    But this is sure that City 2004 capacity is 2L for gear oil.
    it happened with me as well, drained the oil after opening both the nuts, then flushed it by pouring kerosene, nuts were closed. let the car idle for 10 minutes while slightly shifted the gears. then let the kerosene drained and gave one hour to let things dry out. poured, honda genuine gear oil till finally it started coming out from the drain nut and total measured oil was 1.5 liters.

    there maybe a better solution the kerosene but anyway gears became lighter and much improved as compared to earlier. car in question was honda city iDSi 2007 model.

  11. #11
    PakWheeler Follow
    t117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    33
    Posts
    156
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talhawaleed View Post
    it happened with me as well, drained the oil after opening both the nuts, then flushed it by pouring kerosene, nuts were closed. let the car idle for 10 minutes while slightly shifted the gears. then let the kerosene drained and gave one hour to let things dry out. poured, honda genuine gear oil till finally it started coming out from the drain nut and total measured oil was 1.5 liters.

    there maybe a better solution the kerosene but anyway gears became lighter and much improved as compared to earlier. car in question was honda city iDSi 2007 model.
    I dont think it has something to do with gearoil..It's giving screeching noises in 1st n 2nd gears which I beleive is something coming out from some bearing.

    I have a feeling that the real culprit is countershaft bearing.. how many bearings are there in the gearbox of City idsi?

    Sent from my GT-I8262 using PW Forums mobile app

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    talhawaleed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    1,812
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    no idea but i read the manual which outlined a proper procedure for gear checking, bearing replacement, clearance between gears etc. if problem is worst then you will have to ask Honda to open the gears. Mine problem was, that i was not using honda's genuine gear oil, feared a buildup of sludge as gears became hard, especially in morning, they were hard and with driving it would improve. first gear used to slightly stuck so i realized it that it was some how a sludge near bearings which would prevent a proper lubrication of parts, until things would melt and it receives its share of lubrication.

    it was slightly bad not that bad. anyway problem went away with this servicing which i did it my self. i dont recommend kerosene but if non is available then go for it to perform flush.

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    omarabdullah022's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    2,641
    Follows
    1
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    A piece of advice...

    Honda manual transmissions use thin oil. Either stick to honda genuine oil or pour caltex delo.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •