Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 109
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Honda City overheating

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default Honda City overheating

    Salam,
    The latest problem in my car Since the last 3 weeks the car tends to overheat reduce water and water boils in the reservoir after a drive of more than 10 mins. the red light starts blinking and i stop the car at the nearest fuel station or commercial area which in Karachi isnt very far
    The car has no coolant (tap water) T stat valve is installed and fans are direct and A/C wasn't used
    Now i showed it to a mechanic here in my area he said that the pipe which goes from the water pump to engine block is leaking and needs replacement he touched the lower part of the pipe (where it goes into the engine block) and water was on his finger i checked it too but yesterday when i went to plaza to get the pipe replaced the mechanic said that your fan isnt working (1 out of 2 was working) because its shroud was broken and the motor was bad so replaced the entire thing with a kabli one we went from Saddar to nursery to drop off the person I went with and after going like a few meters ahead the stupid red light started blinking and water was again boiling
    After getting a replacement fan for 4k im really pissed apparently their is no leakage but still the water the water level decreases and the starts boiling
    what could be the problem ? And because the stupid car doesnt have a heat guage im not sure about the temperature


  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    ali_bin_farman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    763
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Have you checked the water body?

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using PW Forums mobile app

  3. #3
    PakWheeler Follow
    Shahid2013's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kahuta
    Age
    43
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Also check for head gaskit....

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    nope haven't got it checked

  5. #5
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hash4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,379
    Follows
    18
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    3
    Good Answers
    13
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    btw today i removed the radiator and ran water through some gunk came out of the grills
    also connected my obd 2 scanner to check the coolant temp. max went upto 120'C
    on idle it was between 80-90 and during drive 90-120

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    thanks will do
    anything you would suggest ? you have a City too right ?

  8. #8
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    the light goes on at around 119-120'C checked via OBD

  9. #9
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hash4u's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    38
    Posts
    24,379
    Follows
    18
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    4
    Best Answers
    3
    Good Answers
    13

    Default

    fans should switch on the right time
    Thermostat valve should not be jammed and fully functional
    radiator should not be dirty and jammed
    water body should be working circulating properly
    radiator cap should be fine and functional

    if u drove the car in overheating stage, u wrecked the gasket
    ask mechanic to check if car is building up pressure or not if others things checked
    replace with original steel gasket only
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    fans should switch on the right time
    Thermostat valve should not be jammed and fully functional
    radiator should not be dirty and jammed
    water body should be working circulating properly
    radiator cap should be fine and functional

    if u drove the car in overheating stage, u wrecked the gasket
    ask mechanic to check if car is building up pressure or not if others things checked
    replace with original steel gasket only
    okay will get the work done soon
    well when ever the light starts blinking I immediately stop the car and restart it after 5 mins or so

  11. #11
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    a_n_memon88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,872
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fahad.Ayub View Post
    btw today i removed the radiator and ran water through some gunk came out of the grills
    also connected my obd 2 scanner to check the coolant temp. max went upto 120'C
    on idle it was between 80-90 and during drive 90-120
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahad.Ayub View Post
    the light goes on at around 119-120'C checked via OBD
    Oh man that's way too much. Here in Lahore its 42 degrees and only once my car crossed 100 degrees and that when the ac was on without ac it never exceeds 95-96 degrees. The genuine 1.1 bar cap increases the boiling point of water to about 102 degrees so when the temperature exceeds 102 and since you are using just plain water the water will boil.
    Personally I think you have damaged your cars head gasket.
    BTW don't worry park the at home and start it check whether both fans turn on at 95 degrees. Also use the ac and see where the temperature goes. If with ac on in idle the temperature does not cross 100 than your cooling system is fine.its just that your car is producing too much heat. Change the gasket with minimal or no head facing and than install all thermostat valves and switches and pour some good coolant your car will be good again

    Sent from my GFIVE President(G9) using PW Forums mobile app

  12. #12
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a_n_memon88 View Post
    Oh man that's way too much. Here in Lahore its 42 degrees and only once my car crossed 100 degrees and that when the ac was on without ac it never exceeds 95-96 degrees. The genuine 1.1 bar cap increases the boiling point of water to about 102 degrees so when the temperature exceeds 102 and since you are using just plain water the water will boil.
    Personally I think you have damaged your cars head gasket.
    BTW don't worry park the at home and start it check whether both fans turn on at 95 degrees. Also use the ac and see where the temperature goes. If with ac on in idle the temperature does not cross 100 than your cooling system is fine.its just that your car is producing too much heat. Change the gasket with minimal or no head facing and than install all thermostat valves and switches and pour some good coolant your car will be good again

    Sent from my GFIVE President(G9) using PW Forums mobile app
    Man I hate this car
    well both the fans are direct and the A/C doesnt work
    Could air in the system be the problem ?

  13. #13
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    The water level hasn't decreased since last night
    Last night the car was parked outside on an incline and i was reading about bleeding air from a cooling system so opened the car and started pressing the upper and lower pipes some bubbles came out but after that only water was coming put
    Tried it again this morning and just now no bubbles came out only water was over flowing and during this process the car wasnt started

  14. #14
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    huzaifa.haroon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    5,003
    Follows
    10
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Have u changed you engines oils in time ?

    "Never forget the favours done for you.Always forget the favours you've done for others"
    Always respect your parents

  15. #15
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huzaifa.haroon View Post
    Have u changed you engines oils in time ?

    "Never forget the favours done for you.Always forget the favours you've done for others"
    Yeah the oil was changed a few hundred Km's ago
    previous oil was 20w-40 now the car has 10w40

  16. #16
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    huzaifa.haroon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Islamabad
    Posts
    5,003
    Follows
    10
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    10w-40 is also good but 5w-30-40 would be better.
    Next time try Zic XQ

    "Never forget the favours done for you.Always forget the favours you've done for others"
    Always respect your parents

  17. #17
    PakWheeler Follow
    saadkhangul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sahiwal
    Age
    23
    Posts
    751
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fahad.Ayub View Post
    Man I hate this car
    well both the fans are direct and the A/C doesnt work
    Could air in the system be the problem ?
    First you don't treat the car properly and now you say you hate this car. If proper maintenance had been carried out none of this would have happened. You'll be lucky if you didn't cook your head gasket by overheating the car.
    None of the brave deserve fair....

  18. #18
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huzaifa.haroon View Post
    10w-40 is also good but 5w-30-40 would be better.
    Next time try Zic XQ

    "Never forget the favours done for you.Always forget the favours you've done for others"
    actually the car is a 2004 model and has 132k km on the odo

  19. #19
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Fahad.Ayub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Karachi
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,959
    Follows
    3
    Following
    2
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    2
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saadkhangul View Post
    First you don't treat the car properly and now you say you hate this car. If proper maintenance had been carried out none of this would have happened. You'll be lucky if you didn't cook your head gasket by overheating the car.
    What special treatment does a car require that is driven at max 10 km's a day ? since 2 years we have spend more 60k on this stupid car
    Tyres,suspension,battery miscellaneous parts have been replaced
    regular maintenance oil changes are done
    every 2/3 days i check all oils fluids air filter is cleaned every week washed and waxed every week
    Also i was going to flush the cooling system and fill it with coolant but the heat up issue came out of nowhere
    I went to get the work done 2 days ago but still no improvement

  20. #20
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Retaliator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    8
    Posts
    1,445
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    go to a honda s3 an follow their advice
    -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •