Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Honda City Throttle Body and Catalytic Converters clean up. Save your money!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Talking Honda City Throttle Body and Catalytic Converters clean up. Save your money!

Hi Guys,

Thought i should update everyone on my recent trip to Honda Classic I.10 at 80K. I knew what i had to get done but still wanted to ask them for an estimate. They gave me an outrageous estimate of Rs 40,000 (Attached), included silly things like Brake and Transmission oil change even though i know those oils do not require changing yet (maybe at 100K). Only the labor Honda was charging was Rs 12,500!! I laughed and went straight to where i usually go. Autoclub, I.10, Islamabad, literally around the corner from Honda Classic. I used to get the oil change and brake servicing etc from them in the past but this was the first time i went there for a bigger task. Throttle body and Catalytic Converters cleanup along with the usual Oil change, Air/Oil filters and Brakes servicing etc. I was in 2 minds as I had read that ALWAYS GO TO HONDA for throttle body + cat cleanup and it requires re-calibration and it is very sensitive and ordinary mechanics mess the cars up etc etc but anyway i decided to give this workshop a try.

Massive Cost Saving: Total cost of the WHOLE JOB at Autoclub, including parts and labor was Rs 10,700. Attached are the pictures of how they cleaned the secondary catalytic converter by cutting and welding it back again. Honda only uses a brush to clean it no matter how dirty it is. The primary catalytic converter was not even cleanable (too much carbon in it) so the guys at Autoclub cut it open, replaced the ceramic plates inside it and welded it back together. They adjusted the tappets, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned both primary and secondary catalytic converters, replaced the ceramic plates on cat 1, serviced the brakes, cleaned plugs, greased up the clutch, changed car oil, air filter, oil filter. All within Rs 10,700!!

Re-calibration of RPM after throttle body clean up: I read a lot of articles about how we should only go to Honda for the throttle body clean up as the RPM/Throttle has to be re-calibrated. Which is true and the guys at Autoclub told me that we may have to take the car to Honda for re-calibration (extra Rs 2000) once the work is done but usually we clean it in a way that it does not need to be re-calibrated. And finally after the cleanup I did not require the honda visit as the RPM was perfectly stable. (Another cost saving). Honda 3S charges Rs 2000 for this and do it even if your car is OK.

Result: Car fuel average went up from 14.1 kmpl to 17.3 kmpl within islamabad (yes within city with all the traffic lights and speed breakers) and i'm not even joking how much a difference this cleaning made. I've driven about 200 KM since and the average keeps getting better everyday.

Recommendation: Take your car there now and get this stuff cleaned if you've crossed 40K or if your fuel economy has massively dropped recently.
    Attached Images Attached Images         

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great job done...but one thing is very annoying that why these cars with cat converter need so much maintenence...just after 40k km ..

TM
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@zackgrays! Thank you very much for sharing the info about the Cat...very useful, I will check the Autoclub. Seems my 2010 City, which has done around 45,000km needs checking of the Cat. as I am not getting even close to what people claim about the fuel consumption of City...I think I am getting around 11.5/12 in city driving.
    One thing...I think the break oil and gear oil do need changing after passage of time. Though many people may not agree but bhai har cheez ke life hoti hai I do change gear oil of my cars after every 40,000km.
    "Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by usama1 View Post
    Great job done...but one thing is very annoying that why these cars with cat converter need so much maintenence...just after 40k km ..
    It's because of the fuel quality in Pakistan. I fill up from Caltex F6 or PSO F8 only. Thats the only thing I can do and the rest is not in our control

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

[QUOTE=zackgrays;5109574]It's because of the fuel quality in Pakistan. I fill up from Caltex F6 or PSO F8 only. Thats the only thing I can do and the rest is not in our control [/QUOTE
    Hmmmm...anyways very helpful info from your side...a lot of ppl will be benifited.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mine is also a 2010 City, used to get 11/12 Kmpl before changing tyres at 55K. Then it jumped to 13/14 Kmpl and now 17+ Kmpl
    As far as the oils are concerned I agree they need changing but I got them checked and they were not dirty or below the levels. Changing them at 100K would make sense. Do let me know how it goes when you visit the workshop.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

isn't re-calibrating the same as idle re-learn? it is done if idle rpms are not stable and recommended after any work done on throttle body. Its a very simple process you can google it. (remove battery cable for a while, connect it again and start engine with no load (no electrical load or AC etc) do not press accelerator and let it run for like 10 mins. Turn off and you are good to go)

Yes honda classic is way too expensive. This weekend i went to them for coolant change and there i decided to get complete flush but all they did was to remove radiator, send it to their agent shop in khayban for full radiator clean up, after that connect it back and pour in new coolant... I was expecting that they would open up Thermostat valve, clean it, open the engine block bolt to remove any debris left but they did nothing and charged 4000 for that. I asked them to at least run water once through the system but they said that debris will clog the radiator again.

I am glad you shared that autoclub is doing a good job. My car needs work on suspension, is it good for suspension work?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HellsGuardian View Post
    isn't re-calibrating the same as idle re-learn? it is done if idle rpms are not stable and recommended after any work done on throttle body. Its a very simple process you can google it. (remove battery cable for a while, connect it again and start engine with no load (no electrical load or AC etc) do not press accelerator and let it run for like 10 mins. Turn off and you are good to go)

Yes honda classic is way too expensive. This weekend i went to them for coolant change and there i decided to get complete flush but all they did was to remove radiator, send it to their agent shop in khayban for full radiator clean up, after that connect it back and pour in new coolant... I was expecting that they would open up Thermostat valve, clean it, open the engine block bolt to remove any debris left but they did nothing and charged 4000 for that. I asked them to at least run water once through the system but they said that debris will clog the radiator again.

I am glad you shared that autoclub is doing a good job. My car needs work on suspension, is it good for suspension work?
    Yep, Re-calibrating is the same as idle re-learn. Honda doesn't let you google it they just put it on your sheet of charges

And 4000 is quite a charge for just a radiator clean up and refill. I bet they paid less than 500 to the khayaban contractor. I haven't tried any suspension work yet but I see a lot of cars coming there for it. Everyone i asked the other day said we come here because their body work is really good. I think you should give it a try. They do have a long wait list so maybe they would give you 4 - 5 days time for suspension work. How much was the type 2 coolant at Honda and did they put 2 bottles and gave you the remaining half liter?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zackgrays View Post
    Yep, Re-calibrating is the same as idle re-learn. Honda doesn't let you google it they just put it on your sheet of charges

And 4000 is quite a charge for just a radiator clean up and refill. I bet they paid less than 500 to the khayaban contractor. I haven't tried any suspension work yet but I see a lot of cars coming there for it. Everyone i asked the other day said we come here because their body work is really good. I think you should give it a try. They do have a long wait list so maybe they would give you 4 - 5 days time for suspension work. How much was the type 2 coolant at Honda and did they put 2 bottles and gave you the remaining half liter?
    it was 800rs/litre. The car required a little more than 2L so he said either buy a third bottle or we can put in water. After filling two bottles completely, we found that only a small quantity was required so we put some (200ml?) water instead of buying another bottle.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

it was 800rs/litre. The car required a little more than 2L so he said either buy a third bottle or we can put in water. After filling two bottles completely, we found that only a small quantity was required so we put some (200ml?) water instead of buying another bottle.
    Honda center quoted me Rs. 5500/- for the same job plus cost of 3 bottles of coolent that was about 2600/- ...Total cost of changing coolent and radiator clean up was around 8000/-.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Can somebody make a new post for signs/warnning indications on speedometer of honda city ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda City Throttle Body and Catalytic Converters clean up. Save your money!

You've just poisoned your coolant by adding water to it. Type 2 coolant isn't premixed. Don't ever add water in Honda type 2 coolant.

Sent from my iPhone 6s using PW Forums

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sk_KingpiN View Post
    You've just poisoned your coolant by adding water to it. Type 2 coolant isn't premixed. Don't ever add water in Honda type 2 coolantZ

what ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicDevil View Post
    what ?
    Shocked? Well it becomes useless if you add water to it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i woudnt agree with all the cost savings, your car does need MT fluid change at 40k km not 100k, even ATF is changed earlier than 100k and MT much sooner, see your owners manual for correct intervals, brake fluid needs to be changed every year, max two years did autoclub do it ? no? then that really makes me doubt their knowledge of working on brake systems, did you note what grease autoclub they used on slide pins? was it silicone grease?

cant comment about CAT job as i have no experience on that but throttle body hardly ever needs cleaning if you are using original air filters and dont live in the desert. honda classic wrongly quoted fuel filter change as far as i know that can be changed at a later time according to owners manual,

to me it seemed like you skimped on some essential maintenance (transmission fluid+brake oil) and got some non essential maintenance like throttle body service done, and i would seriously like to know what grease autoclub used on the brakes as a sensible workshop would flush the brake fluid too especially if its never been done before. honda quoted synthetic oil for your car, what oil did autoclub use btw and how did they clean sprakplugs? thats new iridium plugs cant be cleaned except by blowing with compressed air and that hardly makes any difference.
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Shocked? Well it becomes useless if you add water to it.

How does it become useless?

It is already a 50/50 mix with water. Mixing more water will just dilute it a little.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post
    i woudnt agree with all the cost savings, your car does need MT fluid change at 40k km not 100k, even ATF is changed earlier than 100k and MT much sooner, see your owners manual for correct intervals, brake fluid needs to be changed every year, max two years did autoclub do it ? no? then that really makes me doubt their knowledge of working on brake systems, did you note what grease autoclub they used on slide pins? was it silicone grease?

cant comment about CAT job as i have no experience on that but throttle body hardly ever needs cleaning if you are using original air filters and dont live in the desert. honda classic wrongly quoted fuel filter change as far as i know that can be changed at a later time according to owners manual,

to me it seemed like you skimped on some essential maintenance (transmission fluid+brake oil) and got some non essential maintenance like throttle body service done, and i would seriously like to know what grease autoclub used on the brakes as a sensible workshop would flush the brake fluid too especially if its never been done before. honda quoted synthetic oil for your car, what oil did autoclub use btw and how did they clean sprakplugs? thats new iridium plugs cant be cleaned except by blowing with compressed air and that hardly makes any difference.
    hey Arzaam, this article is to address the countless posts of fuel economy dropping in Honda City and not an advert for autoclub. That being said, they only have genuine OEM parts and charge exactly the same for all parts as Honda or any other OEM. You can even bring your own parts from Honda around the corner and get them to install them for you. The benefit is the labor costs. I have maintained my City from Honda 3S till 60K, spent a lot of money there and I do feel the guys at autoclub put in the extra effort while charging noticeably lesser. I dont see any difference in work standards and Honda 3S is uselessly expensive. As far as the oils are concerned, brake/transmission was changed by Honda already at 50K so i'm good.

Islamabad and Rawalpindi has had a lot of roads and structures built recently and the air filter can only manage so much Btw if you notice in the photos i posted. The throttle body which Honda had already cleaned at 40K is black with carbon. Same was the case with exhaust sensor and catalytic converters before cleanup (Honda only cleaned them with a hard brush at 40K and even left marks inside). Autoclub used petrol to clean the throttle body and the converters were cleaned with some special spray first and then air. They did the same with spark plugs, cleaner spray first and then pressurized air (same way Honda cleans them). The car drives a lot better and fuel economy has increased significantly. Maybe get your Cat checked too, these are things the user manual wont tell you

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You've just poisoned your coolant by adding water to it. Type 2 coolant isn't premixed. Don't ever add water in Honda type 2 coolant.

It was in a little quantity, will it start causing rust and stuff? Currently the cooling system had 0 rust and very little white deposits...

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicDevil View Post
    How does it become useless?

It is already a 50/50 mix with water. Mixing more water will just dilute it a little.
    You are right it is premixed with water but in a sense, Sk_KingpiN is right. He should have at least used distil water

Quote Originally Posted by arzaam.bhatti View Post

This weekend i got 4 wheel brake service from honda classic, they did not use silicone grease. It was an unknown brand grease bottle laying around cap-less on their working table.

Not that i am in favour of autoclub because i haven't been to them but i have been going to honda classic since day 1 and for the past year their service quality has decreased drastically.

In the radiator service job, they were unable to get the radiator out of car. As if the mechanic had never done it before. They then called another mechanic then another and finally they removed battery, its seating plate and then it came out. Had they been professional, they would already know how to take things apart is such congested engine bay of civic 05. I asked mechanic that new civic is coming so are you guys going to get training? he said only supervisor go for two day training. Its not even needed as everything is same. I said there is a new engine with turbo so it is different but he kept saying all engines are same. Only one or two mechanics there are good, rest all have skill and approach of any road side mechanic. I asked a senior mechanic that shocks make air bubbles like noise on high jumps, what is the issue? he said service k waqt neche tail lagva lia karen. Can you image a honda dealership mechanic saying that?

Then when they fitted radiator back. I cleared the payments and started going for my home, on first jump on the road. There was a khar khar khar noise from engine bay. I took it back to them (it was already 3pm, their chutti time) and showed it to their supervisor, he said its the shocks noise. I said it was not coming before i got the job done. Then they said to come on monday.

On the weekend i tested and inspected the noise myself. I found out that one fan was not seated properly. The plastic of second radiator fan was stuck with the engine bay metal bracket (this indicates radiator is not aligned properly). Then i went down the car and saw that one of the rubbing mountings was broken. It was not broken when they fixed the radiator back, this again indicates that radiator was not aligned properly.
    On monday another mechanic came along with two previous ones, he seemed to have some knowledge on fixing it (hes the guy who said that tail lagva lia karen) as he took the lead on process. They loosened everything and put it back, i asked them to install new rubber mount but they just tapped (nito tape) it and put it back. Thank fully this time there were no sounds on jumps.

Then there was another time i got my compressor pulley job done from Aqash, one of their very senior mechanic in honda and known to many here. Other honda mechanics call him aqash bhai and he is usually called up by them when they cannot fix something. So the pulley was making noise, i wanted him to open the pulley so that we can inspect and change bearing if required. He went with the typical approach of hammer. He kept hammering the pulley with a flat screw driver and obviously it slipped many times and hit the groves inside pulley (where belt sits). The pulley wouldn't come out so after like 15mins of trying, he went to shop in front and brought pulley puller (those who don't know, google it) using that tool, the pulley came off easily. The price of kabli pulley alone is 1000-1500 and he ruined the pulley just because of carelessness and bad approach to a problem. After this incident i never went back to him for any job. I still meet him now and then in dealership, lol wo bhi sochta hoga k mujse kam kun nahi karata

Read my post above regarding their pro radiator service. They charged 4000 to just open up a radiator, send it to some contractor shop in khayban and fit it back in. There is another question what sort of quality work did the contractor do? The radiator came back in an hour btw... I asked their supervisor that what is the use of just cleaning the radiator when you are not opening heater coils, thermostat valve, not even the drain bolt on engine block. They said it is not needed and we don't do that bla bla. They did not even run water through system once so that debris can flush out. And as mentioned by Sk_KingpiN, their mechanic put in like 200ml of tap water in radiator. Not even distill water.... this is their professionalism. All the things mentioned in this para are not my wishes, its what the service manual states.

The professionalism, for which we like to pay more than road side mechanics is gone from honda mechanics.

I am seriously thinking to buy tools myself and do such basic jobs on my own. The only advantage they have are the high rise hydraulic lifts

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zackgrays View Post
    hey Arzaam, this article is to address the countless posts of fuel economy dropping in Honda City and not an advert for autoclub. That being said, they only have genuine OEM parts and charge exactly the same for all parts as Honda or any other OEM. You can even bring your own parts from Honda around the corner and get them to install them for you. The benefit is the labor costs. I have maintained my City from Honda 3S till 60K, spent a lot of money there and I do feel the guys at autoclub put in the extra effort while charging noticeably lesser. I dont see any difference in work standards and Honda 3S is uselessly expensive. As far as the oils are concerned, brake/transmission was changed by Honda already at 50K so i'm good.

Islamabad and Rawalpindi has had a lot of roads and structures built recently and the air filter can only manage so much Btw if you notice in the photos i posted. The throttle body which Honda had already cleaned at 40K is black with carbon. Same was the case with exhaust sensor and catalytic converters before cleanup (Honda only cleaned them with a hard brush at 40K and even left marks inside). Autoclub used petrol to clean the throttle body and the converters were cleaned with some special spray first and then air. They did the same with spark plugs, cleaner spray first and then pressurized air (same way Honda cleans them). The car drives a lot better and fuel economy has increased significantly. Maybe get your Cat checked too, these are things the user manual wont tell you
    You know the last time i got throttle body serviced from honda classic they did not do the idle re-learn process. I had to search all over the internet myself regarding rough idle and then i found it that it is a necessary process after any work is done on throttle body. The mechanic simply plugged the obd2 and checked for any ecu code and said its good to go. No calibration /idle re-learn.
    I cant get over with it that they are charging 2000 for a simple 6 step, 20mins process

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by usama1 View Post
    Honda center quoted me Rs. 5500/- for the same job plus cost of 3 bottles of coolent that was about 2600/- ...Total cost of changing coolent and radiator clean up was around 8000/-.
    its the one on peshawar road rwp?

Yes you should use 3 bottles as in my case 2 bottle were not enough and they poured in a bit of tap water. Ask them what will they do in this 5500 and report here? will they just open up the radiator and clean it + coolant change or are they going to go for complete cooling system flush (which is what they should do)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List