0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Catalytic Converter Problems

I have a Civic 2008, barely done 40,000 KM and I noticed a huge dip in fuel efficiency. I'm generally quick to push the pedal and so my civic's fuel efficiency is low, but recently it touched 8 KM/liter. Thats just shocking!
    Also, in second gear, when I have the accelerator lightly pressed, the car jerks every now and then.

I believe I have a bad Catalytic Converter, and a quick googling lead me to this great site:

What Causes a Bad Catalytic Converter? | eHow.com

I have another civic 1.8 (2007 model), which had its catalytic converter problem and we recently got it taken out. The sad thing is there were eight other civics at the repair shop getting the same thing done!

In the US, the catalytic converters have a life of over 100K miles, thats 160,000 KM!! And yet, reading through different posts, it seems in Pakistan the life is around 40,000 KM.

If its a fuel issue, we, the consumers should be fuming. We pay excessively for fuel (no subsidization, in fact huge profit making by the refinery's), and yet the quality of fuel we're getting is crap. Bad fuel is another form of tax, that we pay through regular engine maintenance, health bills due to excessive air pollution of using low fuel, and bad fuel economy!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qaiser_imam View Post
    Catalytic Converter Problems - Image5
    Hello to all Honda Civic Users,
    For quite some time I was facing loss of power while driving my Honda Civic. The worst, I experienced, was, when going to Pir Sohawa. Even at full pedal the car refused to climb and I feared it will slip back. Lucky I managed at the top and was looking at Suzuki Mehran's which were speeding up to the top without any issue. Secondly I noticed to get more power, as the pick was weak,the fuel consumption started shooting from 9.5 -10 to 7-7.5 km/ltr. After interviewing lot of Civic owners I finally concluded that this was mainly due to the Chocked Catalytic Converter which was not allowing the exhaust gases to pass through thus reducing the power.
    What are the various Solutions to this issue:
    1. Cleaning: Sorry! if some one says he can clean the Converter, let me assure you that he is taking benefit of your innocence and taking you for a ride. The honey comb structure is enclosed in a casted steel box. You can only access by cutting it. See my presentation at the bottom.
    Catalytic Converter Problems - Image2 Catalytic Converter Problems - Image3
    I cannot attach the picture but there are two sets of catalyst in the converter box.
    a (Reduction catalyst -
    It uses Platinum and Rhodium to help reduce the NOx emissions.) & b (Oxidation Catalyst- It reduces the unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide by burning (oxidizing) them over a platinum and palladium catalyst)These two are honey comb filters having very fine pores and exhaust passes through b & a to eliminate the toxic gases. These filter are enclosed in a solid metal case. Note:Since the filter uses precious metal (Platinum & Rhodium) hence they are lot of buyers for the scrap. The scrap is sent to China where the precious metal are extracted.
    2. Replace the Catalytic Converter: If you can afford you can get a new one for Rs 60 -70K
    3. You can get ( Kabli) Catalytic Converter form a party who deals in spares at the cost of Rs 8500. The contact is 03005329005. Mr Sohail. Delivery 1 week from Karachi.
    4. The other solution is to open the Catalytic Converter box . Remove the honey comb clay filter and replace it with metal filters. This ensures all censors are working. Sound of engine stays same and the pick gets.......tooooo sporty and improves manifolds. Only issue here is that you have to satisfy you conscience as after that your car becomes like other cars on the road which are not environmentally friendly e.g Toyota, Suzuki etc.
    I consulted the parties who went for solution no 4. All were very satisfied with the work. This job is done by
    Mr. Asghar Ali Moughal, Asghar Welding works
    Address: Basement no 3, Alnoor plaza, I - 9 markaz. Opposite VEBRA workshop. Islamabad
    Note:
    One good thing which amazed me was that through out the work, Mr Asghar fully complied to EHS using all necessary PPE's which was quite unusual. All gadgets had proper plugs and no unsafe practice was observed e.g.use of proper non slip gloves, welding mask, grinder spec etc.
    So I took the route 4.
    Time taken 2.5 hrs. Costed me Rs 4500/-. Results were
    amazing. Its is a sport car. I don't believe it. After along time I thoroughly enjoyed the drive,.
    For your understanding, a small video will tell you how the catalytic converter works:.
    It's called: Deconstructed: Catalytic Converter
    Here's the link:
    http://videos.howstuffworks.com/science-channel/31428-deconstructed-catalytic-converter-video.htm
    If the link above doesn't work, then copy and paste this URL into your web browser:
    http://videos.howstuffworks.com/science-channel/31428-deconstructed-catalytic-converter-video.htm
    At the end of the day I concluded that with out changing the Catalytic converter the problem cannot be resolved. Cleaning is not possible and presently i am not prepared to spend Rs 70k when I know fuel issue will choke it again. Hence, I took the difficult route and results there after were amazing.
    Below are the few picture captured during while the work was being done .

So you keep thinking about your car problems and I am going out to drive my reborn sports car.
    With Love
    Qaiser Imam

guys, I put metal catalytic converter today in my 2008 Civic Prosmatec and it has completely 100% restored the original sound of the car......My catcon broke inside couple of months back so had to be taken out completely.....I added a small dholki at first which lowered the noise considerably but it was like 70% of the original sound......I searched the pakwheels forums and found Mr Qaiser_Imam experience for metal catcon installed by Asghar Sb in I-9 Islamabad.....

he makes his own metal catcons with dual plates (Jalli) based on original ........and boy o boy it works......very good pickup....beautiful sound...........I was worried that Engine warning light might come up but nothing like that happened.........so for all the guys who are running without catcons producing horrible sounds , plz go do yourself a favor and install this one......As provided by Qaiser sb previously ,details are as follows: he is a professional and a very vice dude.....even if some of you have installed dholki's , he will remove that and will replace it with iron pipe SAME AS ORIGINAL ......

Mr. Asghar Ali Moughal, Asghar Welding works
    Address: Basement no 3, Alnoor plaza, I - 9 markaz. Opposite VEBRA workshop. Islamabad

Charges: 7000 Rs.

regards....
    ******Aristrocrat******

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

salam PWs,
    just wanted to ask that,is ther a cat in 1997 honda civic vti locally assembled car and also suzuki alto works, a kei car,model is 1993 being imported i guess as a taxi in the tenure of nawz sharif,these cars do have some issues as the civic is showing a check engine light and the alto just feels a bit noisy and hesitated to to accelerate under light throttles.
    quick reply would be appreciated!
    thanks in advance!
    WANT TO KNOW THE ONLY SOLUTION TO OUR CONGLOMERATE PROBLEMS,?? its khilafat!!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i have removed CC of my car too it JDM corolla 98

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dont have to remove catcon when it can be easily cleaned by silencer walla for nominal amount. Go to imran silencer works at G-8/4 and get it cleaned for Rs. 2500 only with air pressure.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

CATCON can easily be cleaned by silencer walla . no need to get it removed.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys,

Based on Qaiser Imam's excellent feedback, I took my Daihatsu Mira 2007 to Mr. Asghar's workshop. As expected, he did an excellent job of removing the catalytic conveyer and modifying the housing with a metal plate. The car's engine sound is as before but the drive and power is restored. Can't comment on the fuel efficiency as I had the job done today.

Thank you Qaiser. And Mr. Asghar is highly recommended.

8. 29-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Site Banned

Reason
    commercial selling

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please Guide me. If there any cat converter in Honda civic vti oriel prosmatic 2005?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I got my Honda 2008's catalytic converter replaced by Mr. Asghar for 7000/-. My car's pick and fuel consumption is better now. Satisfied with his work.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Request expert opinion: is there any catalytic converter in Honda civic vti prosmatic 2005? If yes, Pls advise how to determine its proper functioning. Thanks in anticipation.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Salam,

I am thinking of getting the Catalytic converter removed, i want to know: how do i adjust the ECU so that the check engine warning doesnt light up. I saw a video of a guy manually putting a non fouler cover over the O2 sensor to fool the ECU, is it possible in Pakistan aswell? i am planning to replace the CC with a normal dholkee so that the sound stays muffled.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar

Bro please suggest if we should replace the catcon at a certain milage?

Is there any other certain way to confirm the issue with cat con incase reduced milage and pickup is being observed?

The method opted by Mr Asghar is ok?

Your expert openion is requested.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Thinking View Post
    @Xulfiqar

Bro please suggest if we should replace the catcon at a certain milage?

Is there any other certain way to confirm the issue with cat con incase reduced milage and pickup is being observed?

The method opted by Mr Asghar is ok?

Your expert openion is requested.
    No response

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have heard of people cleaning the old cat with acid
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi.
    My name is Saleem Mohammad running my own workshop in I-10/3 Islamabad, by the name of Sunny Automobile, I suggest to every one that its is possible to clean Catalytic Converter with out chemical. Honda company does not have this clue how to clean it. I will give you 80,000 Km Guarantee that will not clogged. I will also suggest to friends should not remove on based of mechanic opinion.

Contact 0092 300 5506609

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What are the charges for cleaning catalytic convertor.
    My car is jdm alto 2010.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dear chinyoti bhai

have an quick question for you brother

i own city manuel 06 having the pick and consumption issuue done everything like tuning throttle each n everything after i feel lil change in pick and car gets lil responsive and fuel consumption gets almost double but the thing is even after using the hi octane from recommended pumps however its acceleration isnt that responsive no cng installed btw..

i've heard about cat converter things should i get it changed or removed..??

would required your expert opinion soon.

Regards
    WAQAR

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shehzadkhattak View Post
    Guys,

Based on Qaiser Imam's excellent feedback, I took my Daihatsu Mira 2007 to Mr. Asghar's workshop. As expected, he did an excellent job of removing the catalytic conveyer and modifying the housing with a metal plate. The car's engine sound is as before but the drive and power is restored. Can't comment on the fuel efficiency as I had the job done today.

Thank you Qaiser. And Mr. Asghar is highly recommended.
    have an quick question for you brother

i own city manuel 06 having the pick and consumption issuue done everything like tuning throttle each n everything after i feel lil change in pick and car gets lil responsive and fuel consumption gets almost double but the thing is even after using the hi octane from recommended pumps however its acceleration isnt that responsive no cng installed btw..

i've heard about cat converter things should i get it changed or removed..??

would required your expert opinion soon.

Regards
    WAQAR

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Catalytic converter can be easily cleaned with hIGH Pressure air blown in reverse direction of exhaust flow. Try contacting a silencer walla who has done this. Costs about 2500.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Couldnt find any such silencer wala in lahore..Anybody pls recommend someone in lhr???