Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Honda Civic 1997 VTi Engine Job ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Honda Civic 1997 VTi Engine Job ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions

I have a civic vti which is suffering from over heating. The needle goes up to the redline and stays there if i drive normally but when I decelerate or go down hill the needle come back down( eg when going down hill in the salt range the needle comes back to normal. The engine never had a head job or gasket change. I changed the radiator to double nali desi one some 5 years ago.
    I am getting oil in the radiator as well, burning a plug of one cylinder and oil reduction but the car is still half self start.

I am going to get some things done this weekend from a mechanic in Faisalabad EId Gah road as he always had figured out problems of my Honda but in a desi way. Had a bad experience with Honda pit stop the couldn't even fit a side view mirror properly . Would have got it done from Lahore but the car cant travel that far now L

1. Head gasket replacement
    2. A ring and valve seals job depending upon the damage done to the engine
    3. Water body replacement
    4. New timing belt
    5. New radiator
    6. New silencer as the old one may have clogged with oil.

Any suggestions and information about any other good mechanics will be appreciated.

DAY 1 : The weather was quite ideal for spending a day at the work shop. The engine was opened up and was taken out for complete over haul.
    After inspecting the cylinders the mechanic said that a simple gasket change will not do the job the block needs work to be done and needs to be taken out or the other option is get it swapped he gave me both options. I gambled with the overhaul.30- 40 k might go down the drain but I am mentally prepared for that. The block was taken to the kharadia. Came back at 3 the mechanic said he will inspect the engine in detail and tell me about the parts to be replaced by tomorrow.

DAY 2.. Went to buy the parts
    bought will be assembled today by kharadia and again by mechanic tomorrow
    1.Pistons
    2.Rings
    3.Valve set
    4. Clutch Plate
    5.Misc. Bearings
    6.Timing belt
    7.HeadGaskit
    Costed me 22 k.

Total expenditure till now 22k+4000 khardia+3 for kabli piping and junkyard items=29

DAY: 3 The engine block is ready and in the Engine bay.The head will be places tomorrow. Got a new water Pump today worth 2400 that makes the total expenditure till now 29000+2400=31400

DAY: 4 The overhaul was eventually completed today. Got the double Nali DEnSO/HONDA Radiator. A set of belts. Total Spent on the radiator 5000 and belts 600 and some nuts and bolts 200=5800 ,Oil and fluids,coolants 3200, miscellaneous 2000
    The total Spent on Parts 31400+5800+3200=2000=42400+8000 Mechanic Labor=50400 Rs for the engine over haul

DAY: 5 Today I got the some sounds resolved that were coming from the driver side wheel.
    Got new
    Disc Pads whole set , Goda Boot,steering boot,Chimta bush, Discs Facing,end repair, Ball joint repair,front brake cylinder kabli,break oil
    This wheel job costed Rs 6540.

Got a new silencer worth 2200, Wheel alignment Rs 150
    Total spent today 6540+2200=150= 8790
    Total Spent during 5 days =50400+8790=RS 59190
    1.Pistons
    2.Rings
    3.Valve set
    4. Clutch Plate
    5.Misc. Bearings
    6.Timing belt
    7.HeadGaskit
    8.water Pump
    9. Ball joint
    10. 3 pump belts belts
    11. Radiator
    12. Pipping
    13.O rings
    14. Break Pads
    15. Silencer
    OVERHAUL COMPLETED Thanks GOD Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job  ( over heating reducing oil) suggestions - smiley smile I pray that it stays this way . It's the first 5 minutes of running time that can wipe out a new cam. The other 15 minutes is just insurance. Lets see what it does in the future Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1403440
    Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1403868
    Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1408168
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Past cant be brought back ..but future can be made even better than the Past..if one wants to.. ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Will be geting a radiator tomorrow had two options double nali kabli civic radiator 3500 with fan 4000 and single nali 2500 with fan 3000.they had plastic tanks. The radiator guy said that he can install metal tanks to them

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0200 using PW Forums mobile app
    Past cant be brought back ..but future can be made even better than the Past..if one wants to.. ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I spent 2400 on a water pump today 29000 +2400=31400 paid in total

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Which pistons you brought for her? What about head? N gasket? Plz clean engine bay, if you dnt have plans for bigger setups then get single hose radiator, its fine to handle d15s, dual hose comes with b16-18.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes plugimg connectors and replacing any bad connectors

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

pay attention to how the head is tightened to the block, if the mechanic is using his pipe over tommy bar and heaving on it then your engine will be trashed very quick. Its an all aluminium block engine and using a calibrated torque wrench is mandatory. If your mechanic does not have it find one or buy one.

The same is also meant for when the mains and big ends are tightened, they require a torque wrench. Do not use general Rs 50 RTV silicone to seal anything in the engine, Use threebond 1207 etc. Toyo FIPG, Hondabond, Yamabond etc to seal items that require a sealant.

The success of a rebuild is dependant on the quality of work done - you as the owner can dictate the quality of work as its your car. If the mechanic says otherwise - strictly tell him that he needs to shut up and follow what you who is the owner of the car wants.

Swapping out engines blindly from the junkyard is major bad news in some cases. I have known people who swapped in a very nice n shiny g'rantee engine from the scrapyard and its timing belt broke 2000 kms later completely trashing the engine. Be careful with your steps, best be smart with your money - just like what you are doing here.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by janleva View Post
    Will be geting a radiator tomorrow had two options double nali kabli civic radiator 3500 with fan 4000 and single nali 2500 with fan 3000.they had plastic tanks. The radiator guy said that he can install metal tanks to them

Get a new single nali radiator. Double is not required. And why are you seeking to replace plastic tanks with metal ones ? Dont listen to radiator guy. Plastic ones work fine.
    None of the brave deserve fair....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saadkhangul View Post
    Get a new single nali radiator. Double is not required. And why are you seeking to replace plastic tanks with metal ones ? Dont listen to radiator guy. Plastic ones work fine.

The original radiator fit to this car when brand new was made in Pakistan and had a copper core with metal end tanks soldered to them. They were really heavy duty items. They were made by Allwin - makers of the famous "Landhi Jaali"
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    true only for old BL made engines
    If they even get to see such mileage that is!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The original radiator fit to this car when brand new was made in Pakistan and had a copper core with metal end tanks soldered to them. They were really heavy duty items. They were made by Allwin - makers of the famous "Landhi Jaali"
    i doubt that those would be available now. What i meant to say is that why open up a new radiator just to replace the tank. The solder quality is pathetic. I have never seen a radiator soldered by dear radiator wala last a full year. coolant starts seeping within a year.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saadkhangul View Post
    i doubt that those would be available now. What i meant to say is that why open up a new radiator just to replace the tank. The solder quality is pathetic. I have never seen a radiator soldered by dear radiator wala last a full year. coolant starts seeping within a year.

Get real plumber's solder and flux from a proper hardware store - in Karachi that meant a trip to Bohrapir. In soldered radiators one has to make double sure the engine is properly grounded and that the coolant is at correct concentration.

Those radiators were really easy to buy, I would phone up a radiator seller I knew, gave them dimensions and I would get the core, The original end tanks were reused. I could also buy it complete as a new part from spare parts shops too but they were a bit pricey.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the old water pump Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402226

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

got a new one today worth Rs Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402227Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -14022282400

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thats what Iam thinking AS MANY IMPORTED CARS ARE COMING WITH PLASTIC ONES WITH NO ISSUES. just was lil bit confused that the channels might not be clogged the raditors appraently seemed to be in very good condition from the out side. i was expecting them to be expensive 5 k plus

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the old water pump Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402226

plain tap water as engine coolant? Try finding a pump which has an impeller like this.

Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402231

such impeller design provides the best water pump performance.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the current raditor still has those tanks .. with desi double nali radiator

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402232

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

DAY 3 The faced Engine block honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402233honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402234honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402235

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

NO its has 240 K kms on it and 17 years of working .... began adding water a year back distilled water to be precise

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

plain tap water as engine coolant? Try finding a pump which has an impeller like this.

Honda Civic 1997 VTi  Engine Job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402231

such impeller design provides the best water pump performance.
    the one that i insttalled was somewhat like this.. and the corriosion might eb due to those osaka green coolants

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

DAY 3 The faced Engine block honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402233honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402234honda civic 1997 vti  engine job   over heating reducing oil suggestions -1402235
    Pics not visible, upload again

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

User Tag List