84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic 05, power windows control unit almost caught fire

Here is how the story goes, yesterday when I was going for my office it was clear, hot and sunny day. When i parked my car, i kept the front windows open by 1inch. Now some time at mid day, it started raining which I did not know because inside office with closed windows/curtains and AC one cannot tell what's going on outside.

At 6:20pm i left the office, opened up the driver window fully and passenger window to about 30% and headed towards morgah (personal errand). On my way, i felt some smell but i did not put much attention since while on the road it is quite normal especially in rwp. I kept going until i reached the morgah morr. There was a traffic jam so i had to stop too. Soon the same smell came back, i looked towards my right and there was a lot of thick smoke just above trunk opener and it was coming from the power window control buttons. I knew something was wrong so i turned on hazard lights and headlights but obviously its Pakistan nobody cares, I even waved to the traffic but to no avail so i forced my way through and parked the car on the side of the road. I instantly grabbed pliers, opened the bonnet and disconnected the battery. My head was heavy due to that smoke so i took out important stuff (wallet and mobile) from the car because i knew that since windows are open and i am distracted, chor chakka will try to get their hands on to something.

I stayed outside the car with door open and thought for a while and soon I was able to put the pieces back together. The rain water had dripped straight into the buttons and caused a short. Weirdly enough, none of the fuses blew. I manually took out the main 40A fuse to cut the supply for all windows. I checked if everything was ok and came back home.

In the morning, i opened cover and the insulation of the wires, the connector and housing all had melted. One wire was hanging out while the rest of em were still attached to the connector. I took out the unit and opened it up, the PCB was badly damaged too.

I did not take the picture of connector but I am sure it is beyond repair/use. A new connector will be needed and I am quite sure I need a new control unit as well. Now what should I do? Can some one tell me what will be the total cost if i go to honda service center? I am sure it will be quite high.
    Second option is to get hands on a control unit + connector/harness from sultan ka khoo and cut the damaged connector out, and attach a new one with the wires? (i hope it is possible with crimping tool right?)

Some pics are attached below
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bad luck. You should try to find a second hand unit, as a new one will be really expensive. Sultan Ka Khu should be the right place to visit.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pistonhead View Post
    Bad luck. You should try to find a second hand unit, as a new one will be really expensive. Sultan Ka Khu should be the right place to visit.
    Can connector be found there as well? since current one is damaged and it wont fit. Will i need to change complete harness or just the connector can be changed?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You will find it most probably with the connector as usually they cut the wires instead of pulling the plugs.

Same case but with half severity is there in my car, bought as it is. The two pins are burnt and now they are bypassed with two soldered wires out of the circuit board. Both are the main leads for the driver door's power window motor. Here is the pic of the mess...
    Civic 05 power windows control unit almost caught fire -1472905

Also probably due to this reason or for speeding up the window operation the previous owner has installed two relays in each door.

The setup is working fine. So did not thought of replacing the control circuit. The relays can get problematic sometime. Had to visit the electrician twice in maintaining these, happens as it is not designed by honda. Similar to the cng scenario.

Conclusion: You will be mostly troubled in altered/upgraded areas of your Honda. Many will agree to it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@metalhead
    Thanks for the info, i will try to find a working and unaltered unit. I too don't want to risk such an incident again. I still don't understand why none of the fuses blow? I think its because the button for rear motor got short and hence it started acting as closed switch. The window was still closed and yet motor kept trying to push it upwards. This caused the motor to draw large amount of current (stall current) and after a while the wires started heating up and started melting.

Can someone tell me what is the rating of individual window fuse? I am quite sure the motor/wires/connector is made to handle large amount of current, much larger than the fuse itself and yet the fuse did not blow... Kindly note i have 100% stock setup. Nothing has ever been changed

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In connectors usually its not the over-rated current but the sparking in the contacts that causes heating, similar to the wall socket loose plugs.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead View Post
    In connectors usually its not the over-rated current but the sparking in the contacts that causes heating, similar to the wall socket loose plugs.
    any idea how much will be the total cost if i get it everything from honda service center?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by HellsGuardian View Post
    any idea how much will be the total cost if i get it everything from honda service center?
    For that you will have to contact them. You can search for it in the used parts.

Also do check for loose connector contacts while repairing. General indication of troubling connector is greenish-white rust on the pins. Once saw someone spraying WD-40 into it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Here's an update:

I went to honda 3s I9 on 20th sept(saturday) they quoted me 12,600 for buttons unit and 5200 for wiring harness. The wiring was out of stock so i had to place an order. Next saturday, the wiring had arrived so i went to them. They changed the wiring and installed new unit (labour charges was 1500).

When i was on the counter to pay the cash, the store manager came and told me that if you return us the old(burned) unit, we will give the new one without any cost (it was of 12600 rupees) For a moment i couldn't understand the situation so I told him again that the previous is short burned but he said it doesn't matter lol. Later i asked the cashier how came they are giving out a 12600rupees worth of part for free. He said that the same unit is coming in a model of city so probably he will send your unit back to factory to claim a replacement.

I still can't understand or if it is fooling the company by its own dealer? lol anyway and i also don't understand what is his benefit in this deal. So all in all it costed me: 4850(wiring harness) 1500 labor. Actual price of harness was lower than estimated.

Having saved couple of bucks, i decided to get new genuine wiper blades + oil change was also pending so i made use of my weekend and got it done as well.

Next my car is throwing unburnt petrol out of exhaust (it smells bad) so i need to get a full tune up. Hopefully sensors are not bad

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Civic 05 power windows control unit almost caught fire -1472905
    Sorry i am asking this now but my unit had short(burn) exactly at this spot in the pic. Could it be a design flaw?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sorry i am asking this now but my unit had short(burn) exactly at this spot in the pic. Could it be a design flaw?
    May be! Probably the pin current rating gets effected by rust. Sparking occurs and gets burnt.

I can't understand the sparking when the window is not in operation. Without motor working there should be no current through the connector.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

just buy kabli from saddar or chah sultan .. shouldn't cost above 2k ... try decoration shops in bao-mohallah they'll guide u to the one who repairs it
    "You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

May be! Probably the pin current rating gets effected by rust. Sparking occurs and gets burnt.

I can't understand the sparking when the window is not in operation. Without motor working there should be no current through the connector.
    If we only we can get a schematic or pin outs

Anyway i am thinking to sell the old wiring harness. Everything is fine except one connector and i think chah sultan people can attach a connector with it and the harness is good to go. I wonder how much should i sell it for

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

circuit diagram can be found in the service manual. I hope you have downloaded it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

honda main power window controllers
    or dipper switches tend to give away quiet soon

a year or 2 back they advertised to bring in the car and they would change them for free(window switch board)
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

circuit diagram can be found in the service manual. I hope you have downloaded it.
    Not yet... will look for it
    @hash4u
    may be that is why they replaced it for free

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List