Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need Help, Low profile 17'' tires for Civic 2014?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Need Help, Low profile 17'' tires for Civic 2014?

I am planning to install 17x7J RIMS and 215/50 R17 tires for my new Civic. I never used low profile tires before but did a lot of search on web and got information. I am posting this thread and looking for kind help from fellow Pak Wheelers?

Any body installed same for his Civic?
    Any suggestions?
    Where can i find Honda factory Performance (HFP) design RIMS or new Accord design RIMS in Pakistan? (Image attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Pak Wheels Bros, Nobody there to help on this??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bro i run 17s on my 2011 CITY with 215/45 tyres. It's very unforgiving on roads, slightest pot-holes (toay) or broken road and it feels as though it'll break your back!... Or at least my shock absorbers -_- i drive very slowly now because of this - compromises! First thing i'll advise is whether or not you are prepared to give up that luxury ride in your Civic for aesthetics? Secondly, what are the ORIGINAL tyre sizes fitted to this civic? Its 195/65-R15 right? I can advise u better with this info

Hope it helps any way!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    Bro i run 17s on my 2011 CITY with 215/45 tyres. It's very unforgiving on roads, slightest pot-holes (toay) or broken road and it feels as though it'll break your back!... Or at least my shock absorbers -_- i drive very slowly now because of this - compromises! First thing i'll advise is whether or not you are prepared to give up that luxury ride in your Civic for aesthetics? Secondly, what are the ORIGINAL tyre sizes fitted to this civic? Its 195/65-R15 right? I can advise u better with this info

Hope it helps any way!
    @anj3m

Thank you so much Bro for your guideline.

OEM tyre size for Civic is 195/65 R15 and RIM is 15x6J.
    Side wall difference between 195/65 R15 and 215/50 R17 (planned upgrade) is 15.2% less than OEM size. (Plz consult this link http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/)

So will this 15% effect this much? Please advice?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No problem bro

Your sidewall difference is about ~19mm either side but the total diameter is only 13mm higher. This accounts for a 1.9% difference (your speedo will be showing that you are going faster than you actually are); <1% is a general rule of thumb. It will be a big difference but my side wall difference on the 17s was 30mm!! So it probably won't be as bad as my ride comfort i can say that for sure! Choice of tyres in my opinion is fine!

Next, on to rims. My rims had a 43 offset which is about 10mm less than my original stock (15" steel) rims. This was helpful because the wider rim and tyres could have very likely brushed against the insides of the wheel arches of even the suspension! But the low offset on new rims reduced the total difference to about 10mm, whilst widening the track about 10mm - a compromise which had to be made.
    Genuine Honda rims will probably have the best offset to fit your car which almost no issues at all however bro in my honest opinion, i think it will be hard to find those rims unless imported or someone removed them from their Accord and if you do find them i think it will be very, very expensive! I would say you spend that money looking for other lightweight 17" rims! Just my opinion! But good luck to you bro!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by anj3m View Post
    No problem bro

Your sidewall difference is about ~19mm either side but the total diameter is only 13mm higher. This accounts for a 1.9% difference (your speedo will be showing that you are going faster than you actually are); <1% is a general rule of thumb. It will be a big difference but my side wall difference on the 17s was 30mm!! So it probably won't be as bad as my ride comfort i can say that for sure! Choice of tyres in my opinion is fine!

Next, on to rims. My rims had a 43 offset which is about 10mm less than my original stock (15" steel) rims. This was helpful because the wider rim and tyres could have very likely brushed against the insides of the wheel arches of even the suspension! But the low offset on new rims reduced the total difference to about 10mm, whilst widening the track about 10mm - a compromise which had to be made.
    Genuine Honda rims will probably have the best offset to fit your car which almost no issues at all however bro in my honest opinion, i think it will be hard to find those rims unless imported or someone removed them from their Accord and if you do find them i think it will be very, very expensive! I would say you spend that money looking for other lightweight 17" rims! Just my opinion! But good luck to you bro!
    Thanks alot Bro,

Yeah got it. I will visit market and see what is available and will only take this risk of non comfortable drive if all mentioned specifications are met plus i find these with design of above pictures.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Go for them but always remind yourself for one thing "speed bumps" or "toey tabbay", other than that you will have a stiff and uncomfortable ride as compared to stock 15s. iam running 215-45 with 17x7.5 JJ
    - Honda Civic ES, Build Thread. Link ---> http://goo.gl/3SocBg
    - Honda Civic EG - SiR-T F20B Build Thread. Link ---> http://goo.gl/5Y4W9m

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shaheryar.khokhar View Post
    Go for them but always remind yourself for one thing "speed bumps" or "toey tabbay", other than that you will have a stiff and uncomfortable ride as compared to stock 15s. iam running 215-45 with 17x7.5 JJ
    @shaheryar.khokhar

To what extent ride will be rough? I mean will it be very rough with 17'' Rims like tractor etc... or a little difference compared to OEM size?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Not like a rickshaw/tractor but it will be somehow stiff as compared to 15s but you will get used to it in a week or less, in fact you will start to enjoy that stiffer zone btw what wheels you are going to buy? mind sharing specs and price tag?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by shaheryar.khokhar View Post
    Not like a rickshaw/tractor but it will be somehow stiff as compared to 15s but you will get used to it in a week or less, in fact you will start to enjoy that stiffer zone btw what wheels you are going to buy? mind sharing specs and price tag?
    I am looking first for design aspect but offcourse most importantly i will take other specs into consideration like weight, offset etc.
    I need to find one like new accord or Honda Factory Performance (HFP) design Rims (Above Pics). HFP rims are not available here in Pakistan but will try to find similar design. They suit Civic nicely. I saw them in different countries.
    Do you have idea where i can find them in Pindi/Islamabad or i can go to Lahore also?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^ Yes HFP wheels are not common but i suggest you to go for Honda CL9 OEM wheels, they will suit 9th gen Civic and so far easily available everywhere especially in cities like lhr, isb and rwp. I saw a couple of ads on pakwheels accessories section of them few weeks back, search for them if they are till available plus the guy selling was in isb as far as i remember. All the best!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A very interesting thread. I had been contemplating to install 17 inchers in my ride 8th Gen Civic. Did a lot of research. Test drove a similar ride with 215/45-R17 profile coupled with Lenso Project D Spec D (light weight alloys) in Islamabad, PWD, Bahria Town and it was an unforgettable experience. Will NOT install them. Sure there are many respected members who may differ with me BUT fact of the matter is the universal fact that a stock tyre size is selected for balancing comfort and road performance. Please note that I've just referred to tyre size and not tyre type. OEM suppliers for a particular tyre size for the same vehicles may be different. We get Eurostars here. Others may get Goodyear or Bridgestone etc. Going up +1 or +2 is perfectly acceptable in today's automobiles. What we consider as a norm is select tyre size by size calculator and the tyre itself by doing research on the Internet, talk to tyre walas and blah blah. Almost all of us hold a rim in one hand a feel the weight like a dumbbell but How many of us weigh a tyre? Sure we see many high end luxury or performance cars or whatever you feel like calling them with 17" and 18" profiles but dear friends their suspension, specially the dampeners are tuned to take those wheels. We in Pakistan look towards Corollas and Civic as sports cars just by merely installing bigger rims and cosmetic changes. Not even a cold air intake is going to alter its DNA.
    Back to topic, what my experience has taught me and helped numerous happy and content friends is to strike the right balance. It is the 16x6.5-7 OEM wheel you should be looking for, period. Trust me, the noises your car will once develop from front to rear through 17 inch wheels will not just go away whenever you feel like asking forgiveness for the sin and reverting back to stock. Talk about screwing a new ride instantly. Get OEM rims or branded light weight ones in 16" or stock 15" and you will be happy. But that's just me. Your MMW.
    https://www.facebook.com/hidefcars

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadbakht View Post
    A very interesting thread. I had been contemplating to install 17 inchers in my ride 8th Gen Civic. Did a lot of research. Test drove a similar ride with 215/45-R17 profile coupled with Lenso Project D Spec D (light weight alloys) in Islamabad, PWD, Bahria Town and it was an unforgettable experience. Will NOT install them. Sure there are many respected members who may differ with me BUT fact of the matter is the universal fact that a stock tyre size is selected for balancing comfort and road performance. Please note that I've just referred to tyre size and not tyre type. OEM suppliers for a particular tyre size for the same vehicles may be different. We get Eurostars here. Others may get Goodyear or Bridgestone etc. Going up +1 or +2 is perfectly acceptable in today's automobiles. What we consider as a norm is select tyre size by size calculator and the tyre itself by doing research on the Internet, talk to tyre walas and blah blah. Almost all of us hold a rim in one hand a feel the weight like a dumbbell but How many of us weigh a tyre? Sure we see many high end luxury or performance cars or whatever you feel like calling them with 17" and 18" profiles but dear friends their suspension, specially the dampeners are tuned to take those wheels. We in Pakistan look towards Corollas and Civic as sports cars just by merely installing bigger rims and cosmetic changes. Not even a cold air intake is going to alter its DNA.
    Back to topic, what my experience has taught me and helped numerous happy and content friends is to strike the right balance. It is the 16x6.5-7 OEM wheel you should be looking for, period. Trust me, the noises your car will once develop from front to rear through 17 inch wheels will not just go away whenever you feel like asking forgiveness for the sin and reverting back to stock. Talk about screwing a new ride instantly. Get OEM rims or branded light weight ones in 16" or stock 15" and you will be happy. But that's just me. Your MMW.
    Agree. I am running 205/55-R16 on my 8th gen and am surprised by how much difference there is, as compared to 195/65-R15. The hardness of ride has pretty much offset the improvement in looks.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rahat083144 View Post
    Agree. I am running 205/55-R16 on my 8th gen and am surprised by how much difference there is, as compared to 195/65-R15. The hardness of ride has pretty much offset the improvement in looks.
    But in your case side wall difference is around -11% so did it affect ride quality that much??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have used 17" oem rims and will not recommended that mistake to any one.

Currently I am using 205/55R16 Michelin new tyres and shocks and springs changed to Japanese (I have found japanese shocks softer than my original shocks) I had to change shocks and springs of my car in order to make it further soft after putting 16" rims in it. And it helped a lot
    Ehtesham Bokhari
    https://www.facebook.com/sebokhari

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Spano View Post

Currently I am using 205/55R16 Michelin new tyres and shocks and springs changed to Japanese (I have found japanese shocks softer than my original shocks) I had to change shocks and springs of my car in order to make it further soft after putting 16" rims in it. And it helped a lot
    Thank you @Spano

The difference in ride comfort was affected that much? On all roads or only on roads with bumps?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Rahat bro, which tyres are you referring to, please share the version and lot/batch or date? It is an important factor in overall experience.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Spano View Post

that is something to learn from. I stand more educated after your experience.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    321 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bhasnain View Post
    Thank you @Spano

The difference in ride comfort was affected that much? On all roads or only on roads with bumps?
    when the tyre width is increased, it puts a lot of load on the suspension and becomes bumpy hence increases road grip a lot.
    when the tyre profile is low, it becomes bumpy and increase road grip on cornering.
    Ehtesham Bokhari
    https://www.facebook.com/sebokhari

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bhasnain View Post
    But in your case side wall difference is around -11% so did it affect ride quality that much??
    It was more than I expected. Its not that bad on bumps, so to speak, but on rough road surfaces it feels really harsh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List