Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Civic 95 engine swap

Dear members.

So I have a weak stock carby D15 installed in my car, and after the gasket is gone 2nd time, the mechanic has proposed that I change the engine. As for the mechanic, he is considered quite reliable in the market.

Now since the engine needs to be changed, I am thinking to jump to D15b dual vtec. I talked to the mechanic's engine guy in shershah, and he says engine with wiring and ecu for 70k.

Considering your experiences, please guide me if thats a worthy option, and/or give suitable suggestions. Will it increase the resale value of the car, or devalue it? From what I think, the value will be increased of the car, but to those who know the potential of the dual vtec (correct me if im wrong).

The guy also gave below options.

1. D15b non vtec for 55k
    2. some efi engine (probably d15b non vtec) which will be combined with current carburetor in some way (if I head him correctly). Dont exactly recall the price for this option.

Looking forward for expected assistance. Also let me know if maintenance costs will increase with vtec.

Regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Also, do I need to do something about the transmission? Or that will work perfectly with any swap?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wat abot d15b single vtec?a proper efi swap will surely mk the car fun to drive and economical to refill
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A couple of questions if you dont mind. Why did the gasket go twice? Do you use proper coolant or tap water? Any ways 70k for a dual vtec is 10k too much. Go for a single vtec, it might be cheaper.
    "Being between arabs, you call it "Jimmss Yukaan Sagheer", or GMC yukon." - Xulfiqar.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3990 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

civic EG has a problem of air trapping,
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    What exactly is that because my cousin owns a neat 95 Civic.

Site Banned Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Why would you change the engine just because the so-called mechanics said so? I got 86 Accord. When i bought this car the gasket was weak so got it changed. It has been 6 months and the engine is working perfect mashaAllah. Original engine is original engine. Replacing a engine is the last resort. When i bought this car 6 months ago i flushed the cooling system by myself then poured in Abro coolant red one. It's been 6 months now and coolant is as good as new mashaAllah. If engine is really that bad get the specific parts replaced. It would be damn cheap and tension free to replace faulty parts. And no resale issue while selling the car.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

good luck and please share the proceedings
    Ehtesham Bokhari
    https://www.facebook.com/sebokhari

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

First of all, thank you all for feedbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    Wat abot d15b single vtec?a proper efi swap will surely mk the car fun to drive and economical to refill
    Because dual vtec has better fuel consumption..? Also, the engine guy in shershah says single vtec is less available. Thats why he quoted me non vtec and dual vtec. Now i hope he knows what he is talking about when he says dual vtec, and later it doesnt turn out to be single vtec

Yes the performance and fuel consumption parts are the reason im going for the swap. The mechanic said overhauling will bring problems in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by supraman2jz View Post
    A couple of questions if you dont mind. Why did the gasket go twice? Do you use proper coolant or tap water? Any ways 70k for a dual vtec is 10k too much. Go for a single vtec, it might be cheaper.
    Tap water. Well you can call it partly my mistake that I didnt fill up the water in the radiator, but I used to do it after a week or two (since my running is not very long) and didnt have to fill much when i did because water was still there. But lately, the water has been disappearing quickly, which resulted in car getting heat up and gasket developing problems. Radiator was serviced 8 months back.

I had the gasket changed (3 months back), and filled water every now and then. Then again on last Friday, I was coming back from a relative and suddenly the car would start stuttering, which is when i realized the temp needle is at 75%. I was close to home so i made it there and the car stopped itself. Then it wouldnt start. However, it started in the morning and while I topped the water in the radiator, it kept coming out, while the pipe coming from the engine to the radiator also swelled. Took it to the mechanic and he said gasket gone.

I am still driving and its driving okayish, but only on a 2-3km route.

As for the dual vtec, he said its complete with engine, wiring, and ecu. He said he will discount when i am ready to order. He will deliver himself from shershah, and has been delivering engines to the mechanic and other mechanics in the area for over 15 years.

So is 60k the reasonable price for the engine + wiring + ecu?

What about fuel tank? Will i need to change that or just add a fuel pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by zainiqbal1990 View Post
    Why would you change the engine just because the so-called mechanics said so? I got 86 Accord. When i bought this car the gasket was weak so got it changed. It has been 6 months and the engine is working perfect mashaAllah. Original engine is original engine. Replacing a engine is the last resort. When i bought this car 6 months ago i flushed the cooling system by myself then poured in Abro coolant red one. It's been 6 months now and coolant is as good as new mashaAllah. If engine is really that bad get the specific parts replaced. It would be damn cheap and tension free to replace faulty parts. And no resale issue while selling the car.
    Well for one, I am not making the most of EG with the weak carb engine, with a crappy carb. Currently im getting 6km/litre.

If I go for a better engine (which for me is the dual vtec), I expect to get better performance and some speed when i need to accelerate. Then, I get to drive on petrol only unlike now.

Secondly, the mechanic says overhauling is not best solution if you want to keep the car for yourself. I want to keep the car and would prefer to have something I can be happy with in the long run.

Yes, original is original, but everything has its life wont you agree? I know for sure I can only get the gasket changed again, fill the radiator religiously, and use this engine for many more months. I will still get that 6km/ltr mileage, not enough power, and will definitely get from A to B. However, what I seek is a little pleasure as well.

Yes, overhauling is somewhat cheaper, in the range of Rs. 35k to 40k. The last time the head was removed for changing gasket, the mechanic confirmed about pistons having play and that overhauling is required. But i was thinking, why not spend a little more and get the good stuff in if the engine has to be overhauled.

Thanks!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2 stage vtec has 2 solenoids. Plus dual vtec will only engage with correct wiring n ecu (its own wirring n ecu)......n yes its fuel efficient if rightly done......single vtec is quicker in acceleration
    Life is short and very unpredictable just like a Quarter mile .....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hash4u View Post
    2 stage vtec has 2 solenoids. Plus dual vtec will only engage with correct wiring n ecu (its own wirring n ecu)......n yes its fuel efficient if rightly done......single vtec is quicker in acceleration
    yes i know that; and i hope the mechanic knows that too. He claims he will provide the right ecu, coz i asked him "manual transmission wala computer hoga na?", and he agreed.

If we compare single vtec to dual vtec, what could be the fuel consumption average difference? and price difference?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post

What is that?
    while pouring coolant tap water in paksitan it tarp air in foam of bubble which causes the car to overheat

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys what about the transmission? I wont have to change that right?

Also, how much should my engine sell for?

Will the engine i swap come with a/c compressor?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I suffered the same problem too, 75% needle doesn't mean that its 75%. People who put tap water should replace all hoses and temp monitoring switches and all pipes every year or else use good quality coolant. Once I was driving my cultus and the needle was at 75% and I thought its a slight over heat and then in the middle the car stalled with over heat and the gasket was gone. It required head job, facing, gasked change etc and I changed all hoses water bodies and metal pipes of the cooling system. Upon inspection it was found that the temp needle switch was all covered in gunk and rust and was not providing accurate reading because when the needle should have been at red H zone it was actually at 75% mark and thus misleading. Also due to over heating I believe the sensitivity of the auto switch decreases. Check it with a meter that it has correct resistance at correct temperature.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

and why do you need to change the engine if the gasket is gone, You should change the mechanic.

Check with compression test if the engine is fine and if its just burning gaskets and over heating then you should check if the head has a hair line crack? also check the cooling system with pressure testing and replace all hoses and pipes that are leak.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by siraj_7 View Post
    and why do you need to change the engine if the gasket is gone, You should change the mechanic.

Check with compression test if the engine is fine and if its just burning gaskets and over heating then you should check if the head has a hair line crack? also check the cooling system with pressure testing and replace all hoses and pipes that are leak.
    The current mechanic who has suggested engine change is not the mechanic who previously did the gasket change

The current mechanic was referred by few people, and he is well known for this work. I have personally not had any engine work done, but had wheel hub changed by his workers, while my dad used to get all car work done from him. He is located at "Chota Gate", and his workshop name is Umar Autos (in case any one is aware).

So you are suggesting that engine change is not a good option? and why?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by siraj_7 View Post
    I suffered the same problem too, 75% needle doesn't mean that its 75%. People who put tap water should replace all hoses and temp monitoring switches and all pipes every year or else use good quality coolant. Once I was driving my cultus and the needle was at 75% and I thought its a slight over heat and then in the middle the car stalled with over heat and the gasket was gone. It required head job, facing, gasked change etc and I changed all hoses water bodies and metal pipes of the cooling system. Upon inspection it was found that the temp needle switch was all covered in gunk and rust and was not providing accurate reading because when the needle should have been at red H zone it was actually at 75% mark and thus misleading. Also due to over heating I believe the sensitivity of the auto switch decreases. Check it with a meter that it has correct resistance at correct temperature.
    let me guess your weren't having thermostat vavle

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickiz3d View Post
    The current mechanic who has suggested engine change is not the mechanic who previously did the gasket change

The current mechanic was referred by few people, and he is well known for this work. I have personally not had any engine work done, but had wheel hub changed by his workers, while my dad used to get all car work done from him. He is located at "Chota Gate", and his workshop name is Umar Autos (in case any one is aware).

So you are suggesting that engine change is not a good option? and why?
    d12 carby is a highly underpowered engine I would have changed it even if I didn't had any engine problem

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saboor73 View Post
    d12 carby is a highly underpowered engine I would have changed it even if I didn't had any engine problem
    now thats what i call motivation however, i just dont want to change for fun, and need valid reasons backing up the expensive swap.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@saboor73 your guess is wrong, the car had thermostat valve which was found to be stuck open after gasket failure because the gunk over thermo switch made me think the car was not over heating and the gunk on auto switch made the fan start at higher temp and there were very small leaks in the intake manifold and other water bodies.. so it was all combined which led to over heating. the point is if you put water in your cooling system these things are bound to happen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

User Tag List